WUSTL Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
panadera

Bronze

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Post by panadera » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:15 pm

najumobi wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Morning WUSTLers. I'm always bummed when I get on TLS and there has been no activity in this thread, so I'm bumping it for my own sake.

How is everybody doing today? Let me hear some of that pre-Wash U excitement.
i'm pretty excited. i've never lived by myself before or furnished my own place....currently shopping for living room, dining, and office furniture
+1billion.

I've never lived alone and I can't wait. I've had (and have) awful roommates. Just be careful that you know everything will fit in the apartment before you buy it. I'm saving a sofa for when I actually move in, just in case. (But I have almost everything else.)

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:15 pm

najumobi wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Morning WUSTLers. I'm always bummed when I get on TLS and there has been no activity in this thread, so I'm bumping it for my own sake.

i'm pretty excited. i've never lived by myself before or furnished my own place....currently shopping for living room, dining, and office furniture
If I were living by myself, I'd definitely want to have a bad-ass study area. Big desk and fancy bookshelves, FTW.

pudge

New

Post by pudge » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:18 pm

signed a lease on a 1 bedroom apt. right by campus just a couple days ago! now i have to figure out how to move everything out to st. louis from new jersey. road trip!

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:20 pm

romothesavior wrote:
najumobi wrote:

If I were living by myself, I'd definitely want to have a bad-ass study area. Big desk and fancy bookshelves, FTW.
haha....i'll be in a studio apt., so i just need a small desk and bookshelf, and a comfy office chair that can all fit into a small corner area of my living space.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:21 pm

pudge wrote:signed a lease on a 1 bedroom apt. right by campus just a couple days ago! now i have to figure out how to move everything out to st. louis from new jersey. road trip!
holy shmokies that's going to be a long trip
EDIT: actually according to google maps that about as far as i'll be traveling from the inner banks.
Last edited by najumobi on Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Stephanie13

Bronze

Post by Stephanie13 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:24 pm

Urg, how are y'all finding your places already? Craig's list?

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:26 pm

Stephanie13 wrote:Urg, how are y'all finding your places already? Craig's list?
i'm living by myself so i didn't have to coordinate with someone else. just used rent.com, forrent.com, and apartments.com

pudge

New

Post by pudge » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:28 pm

i actually went through quadrangle housing. i know some people had complaints about them but the place i found is a 5 min. walk from campus and not too expensive for a 1 bedroom ($575/month including cable tv and internet). after paying $4400 a month together with my three roommates for our apartment in georgetown, nothing in st. louis seems nearly as bad.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:29 pm

Steph, check out padmapper.com. Really great resource that helps you find apartments on a map.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Stephanie13

Bronze

Post by Stephanie13 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:30 pm

najumobi wrote:
i'm living by myself so i didn't have to coordinate with someone else. just used rent.com, forrent.com, and apartments.com
Yea I plan on living by myself as well but I just don't feel comfortable renting a place without having seen the place in person. That plus, I get the feeling that a lot of places are available starting in May, June or even July but I can't afford to pay rent for the summer when I won't be living there. So it's a bit of a dilemma. Am I making things unnecessarily difficult here? Haha

Yea thanks Romo, I've been checking that out but there doesn't seem to be a ton of properties open where I want to live.. I might be too picky though..

myq

Bronze

Post by myq » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:31 pm

najumobi wrote:
pudge wrote:signed a lease on a 1 bedroom apt. right by campus just a couple days ago! now i have to figure out how to move everything out to st. louis from new jersey. road trip!
EDIT: actually according to google maps that about as far as i'll be traveling from the inner banks.
i think i'm winning right now with miami (1219 miles, 20 hours 8 minutes). I'm sure we have some west coast people though.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:35 pm

Stephanie13 wrote:
najumobi wrote:
Yea I plan on living by myself as well but I just don't feel comfortable renting a place without having seen the place in person. That plus, I get the feeling that a lot of places are available starting in May, June or even July but I can't afford to pay rent for the summer when I won't be living there. So it's a bit of a dilemma. Am I making things unnecessarily difficult here? Haha

Yea thanks Romo, I've been checking that out but there doesn't seem to be a ton of properties open where I want to live.. I might be too picky though..
well i went and saw the apartment i was interested in after the ASD. i liked what i saw so i applied, put down a deposit and set a move-in date. it's definitely a good idea to visit before picking a place to stay. though i think you should be able to narrow down to a couple of places prior to your visit.

jumpropeck

New

Post by jumpropeck » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:35 pm

Is anyone planning on being in STL this summer? (Read: Beginning in June)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:39 pm

myq wrote:
najumobi wrote:
i think i'm winning right now with miami (1219 miles, 20 hours 8 minutes). I'm sure we have some west coast people though.
that would definitely be a 2-day trip for me. i typically don't drive more than 9 or 10 hours in a day, but if my mom helps me drive i should be able to make the 15-hour trip in one day

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:44 pm

panadera wrote:
najumobi wrote:

+1billion.

I've never lived alone and I can't wait. I've had (and have) awful roommates. Just be careful that you know everything will fit in the apartment before you buy it. I'm saving a sofa for when I actually move in, just in case. (But I have almost everything else.)
yeah i've been pretty careful about making sure everything i get will fit. luckily my room now is a little larger than the studio's living space, 21 ' x 10.5 ', so i'll be able to test the space before packing and moving things.

dayang84

New

Post by dayang84 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:47 pm

najumobi wrote:
Stephanie13 wrote:
najumobi wrote:

well i went and saw the apartment i was interested in after the ASD. i liked what i saw so i applied, put down a deposit and set a move-in date. it's definitely a good idea to visit before picking a place to stay. though i think you should be able to narrow down to a couple of places prior to your visit.
Wow you guys all living alone??? I was hoping to save on costs by getting a roomie or two...If anybody's looking for a nice, quiet guy to share living costs with PM me. By the way, thanks for the suggestions on finding a roommate. Unfortunately I'm living in Communist China right now and the Great Firewall prevents me from accessing Facebook...anxiously awaiting the admitted students' Roommate finder survey to be up and running.

AgentSCo

New

Post by AgentSCo » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:22 pm

myq wrote:
najumobi wrote:
Northern California right here! It doesn't get much further, unless, of course, somebody's making the move from the Pacific Northwest.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:34 pm

AgentSCo wrote:
myq wrote:
najumobi wrote:
Northern California right here! It doesn't get much further, unless, of course, somebody's making the move from the Pacific Northwest.
We're moving from LA. (1,831 miles, 29 hours). Anybody else moving furniture etc from So Cal. We only have a one bedroom, but it'd be nice to go in on a partitioned truck or uhaul with someone.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:33 am

double post, srry
Last edited by fl0w on Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:37 am

fl0w wrote:So to start the day . . .

when you get to St. Louis, make sure to walk your lady home. and if she's not your lady, walk her home anyway.

Femal Undergrad Raped, Robbed along Skinker

camstant

Bronze

Post by camstant » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:36 am

That's a little disturbing... I would definitely not be living alone in that area if I were a girl

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:00 am

camstant wrote:That's a little disturbing... I would definitely not be living alone in that area if I were a girl
except that area is actually considered the "safe" area

panadera

Bronze

Post by panadera » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:22 am

fl0w wrote:
camstant wrote:That's a little disturbing... I would definitely not be living alone in that area if I were a girl
My aunt just sent me an email about an apartment in that neighborhood because it is known to be "super safe." Oy.
I'll need to find some volunteers to walk me home. :?

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:24 am

panadera wrote:
fl0w wrote:
My aunt just sent me an email about an apartment in that neighborhood because it is known to be "super safe." Oy.
It really could have happened anywhere, in any city. "Early morning" probably means between midnight and 3 am. It's not "safe" for a young lady to be walking alone anywhere at that time. (probably not for a young man either).

Still, it is disturbing.

panadera

Bronze

Post by panadera » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:30 am

Sauer Grapes wrote:
panadera wrote:
fl0w wrote:
It really could have happened anywhere, in any city. "Early morning" probably means between midnight and 3 am. It's not "safe" for a young lady to be walking alone anywhere at that time. (probably not for a young man either).

Still, it is disturbing.
Yeah, I get where you're coming from. It's scary regardless of where it happened. That poor girl.

I think the link said it happened at 12:30am. Self-imposed curfew ftw. :|

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”