WUSTL Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
camstant
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:59 am

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby camstant » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:30 pm

might be a stupid question but... what is needaccess?

User avatar
najumobi
Posts: 1111
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:36 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby najumobi » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:13 pm

camstant wrote:might be a stupid question but... what is needaccess?
i was referring to an online form you fill out that is filled out in addition to fafsa that requires more detail from the student than fafsa does. think CSS Profile if you're UG school required that in order to get need-based aid.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby sibley » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:19 pm

Got an email that my financial aid package will be coming via email this week...

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby jks289 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:48 pm

sibley wrote:Got an email that my financial aid package will be coming via email this week...


You've already received a SIL award, correct?

mbaino
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:22 am

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby mbaino » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:17 pm

I'm 90% sure I'm going. I haven't gotten scholly information yet, but it would have to be incredibly low for me to go somewhere else

I'm also a Washu UG, so I can answer any of your questions about living in St Louis and going to WUSTL everyday.

Parking: I park close to A-B hall everyday and have no problems finding a spot. Traffic was bad for about a year because of major freeway construction forcing cars onto surface streets, but now the 64-40 is open and traffic is pretty light in the area. The parking permits are $400+ per academic year. Most students live within walking distance though.

Where to live: Housing is very affordable is St Louis (I'm from LA, so to me it's dirt cheap. Even cheaper compared to NYC). To give you an idea of cost, my two friends and I share a 1800sf 3-bedroom and pay $400 each which is typical for the safe, clean street I live on.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby romothesavior » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:38 pm

Wow... I think I'm going to have to scale down my earlier prediction of 80-90% certainty that I'll be at WUSTL. Just filled out that financial aid form, and holy cow. It definitely scares the crap outta me. WUSTL's tuition and fees are ridiculously high. I just realized that 3 years at UIUC would cost me a little more than the price of 1 year at WUSTL (with my scholarships). Even though I really don't wanna be in Champaign and I do love WUSTL, its a lot to think about.

User avatar
najumobi
Posts: 1111
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:36 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby najumobi » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:59 pm

romothesavior wrote:Wow... I think I'm going to have to scale down my earlier prediction of 80-90% certainty that I'll be at WUSTL. Just filled out that financial aid form, and holy cow. It definitely scares the crap outta me. WUSTL's tuition and fees are ridiculously high. I just realized that 3 years at UIUC would cost me a little more than the price of 1 year at WUSTL (with my scholarships). Even though I really don't wanna be in Champaign and I do love WUSTL, its a lot to think about.
i think uiuc costing 2/3 less than wustl probably makes uiuc a better deal for you than wustl.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby romothesavior » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:58 pm

najumobi wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Wow... I think I'm going to have to scale down my earlier prediction of 80-90% certainty that I'll be at WUSTL. Just filled out that financial aid form, and holy cow. It definitely scares the crap outta me. WUSTL's tuition and fees are ridiculously high. I just realized that 3 years at UIUC would cost me a little more than the price of 1 year at WUSTL (with my scholarships). Even though I really don't wanna be in Champaign and I do love WUSTL, its a lot to think about.
i think uiuc costing 2/3 less than wustl probably makes uiuc a better deal for you than wustl.


I think so too... but you have no idea how much I want to get out of central Illinois.

prolyphek
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:59 am

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby prolyphek » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:05 pm

romothesavior wrote:
najumobi wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Wow... I think I'm going to have to scale down my earlier prediction of 80-90% certainty that I'll be at WUSTL. Just filled out that financial aid form, and holy cow. It definitely scares the crap outta me. WUSTL's tuition and fees are ridiculously high. I just realized that 3 years at UIUC would cost me a little more than the price of 1 year at WUSTL (with my scholarships). Even though I really don't wanna be in Champaign and I do love WUSTL, its a lot to think about.
i think uiuc costing 2/3 less than wustl probably makes uiuc a better deal for you than wustl.


I think so too... but you have no idea how much I want to get out of central Illinois.


Is it really that much less expensive if so, that UIUC will probably move way up my list. I was trying to decide between BU, WUSL, USC, and UICU, my scholarships are pretty equal so I will have to double check (still waiting on an offer from USC)

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby romothesavior » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:07 pm

prolyphek wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
najumobi wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Wow... I think I'm going to have to scale down my earlier prediction of 80-90% certainty that I'll be at WUSTL. Just filled out that financial aid form, and holy cow. It definitely scares the crap outta me. WUSTL's tuition and fees are ridiculously high. I just realized that 3 years at UIUC would cost me a little more than the price of 1 year at WUSTL (with my scholarships). Even though I really don't wanna be in Champaign and I do love WUSTL, its a lot to think about.
i think uiuc costing 2/3 less than wustl probably makes uiuc a better deal for you than wustl.


I think so too... but you have no idea how much I want to get out of central Illinois.


Is it really that much less expensive if so, that UIUC will probably move way up my list. I was trying to decide between BU, WUSL, USC, and UICU, my scholarships are pretty equal so I will have to double check (still waiting on an offer from USC)


Obviously it depends on your scholarships. I got a full tuition offer from UIUC and 25k from WUSTL. Plus living in Champaign is a lot cheaper.

prolyphek
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:59 am

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby prolyphek » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:07 pm

Is that becasue you are a resident?

prolyphek
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:59 am

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby prolyphek » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:08 pm

Oh ok, I got 30k from UIUC and Boston and 32k from WULS

User avatar
somewherewarm
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:28 am

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby somewherewarm » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:26 pm

There's about a 40% chance I'll be there in the fall. I love the scholarship they gave me but not the midwest (since WUSTL is a regional school I think this matters). I'd like to practice in the southeast so this leaves me leaning toward Emory at the moment. I'm touring WUSTL next week, I signed up for the ASD too late and it was all booked up so for the people who are attending please let TLS know what you thought. Thanks everybody, and good luck with the rest of this cycle.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby romothesavior » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:30 pm

prolyphek wrote:Is that becasue you are a resident?


Yes, I'm a resident of Illinois.

User avatar
camstant
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:59 am

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby camstant » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:11 pm

tuition and fees at wustl and uiuc are nearly identical... the amount wustl lists on that financial aid form includes fees. A lot of schools break up those two costs when they are listed on websites and such.

--LinkRemoved--

But of course, if you are a resident there is a significant difference...

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby sibley » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:12 pm

Can you guys tell me about the admitted students' day Friday? I don't know if I should buy the super-expensive flight for the day or go the next week, when it's less than half as expensive.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby sibley » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:02 am

Oh, so admissions emailed me back and the event is closed. I think I'll take the half-priced flight offered next Wednesday and visit that way instead =)
Please let me know how it is though! I want to know what the admitted students seem like.

User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby Sauer Grapes » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:45 am

nevermind... found it.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby sibley » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:17 pm

Visiting on the 30th! My flights were full so hopefully I can squeeze in.

I'd like to get an idea of the public transportation, but I think I'll rent a car. It's cheaper than taking a cab each way (though still $70 for the day)... and this way maybe I'll be able to explore a little more.

User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby Sauer Grapes » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:34 pm

Put my deposit down yesterday. I'm still only 95ish%, but it's only $200 and I should be able to get it back if I change my mind, since that would happen before May 1.

User avatar
kdw94780
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 10:07 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby kdw94780 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:59 am

After finally receiving my SIL Award, I'm 98.9% sure I'll be going to Wash U in the fall. :wink:

User avatar
jumpropeck
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:19 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby jumpropeck » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:41 pm

All done -- I'll see you all in August!
Last edited by jumpropeck on Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby sibley » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:09 pm

how was the admitted students day?

User avatar
nowinGA
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:06 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby nowinGA » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:45 pm

OK, visiting on Wednesday for the first time...anything specific that people suggest I do or see? I won't have a ton of time, but I would love any specific suggestions one might have! I am kind of hoping to just be blown away and love it so I can stop all of this decision making!

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby sibley » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:50 pm

nowinGA wrote:OK, visiting on Wednesday for the first time...anything specific that people suggest I do or see? I won't have a ton of time, but I would love any specific suggestions one might have! I am kind of hoping to just be blown away and love it so I can stop all of this decision making!


+1, but on Tuesday... and with even less time.

Their old dean (99-'05) told me to just talk to the students - that they'd be the best judge of any school. But I'd like a little more advice than that =P




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest