WUSTL Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
najumobi

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby najumobi » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:49 pm

romothesavior wrote:Midwest for sure. Preferred cities are St. Louis, Chicago, and Indianapolis (in that order).
i've never been to indianapolis....how does it compare to st. louis?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:58 pm

najumobi wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Midwest for sure. Preferred cities are St. Louis, Chicago, and Indianapolis (in that order).

I think they are fairly comprable, but St. Louis has more amenities and attractions to my liking. They are really similar to each other, IMO, and I think it just comes down to personal preference for one over the other.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:03 pm

romothesavior wrote:
najumobi wrote:

I think they are fairly comprable, but St. Louis has more amenities and attractions to my liking. They are really similar to each other, IMO, and I think it just comes down to personal preference for one over the other.

STL has a baseball team, Indy doesn't. Indy has a football team, STL doesn't.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:09 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
najumobi wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:11 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
najumobi wrote:

I hope this is a playful jab at the Rams and not an indication of your lack of sports knowledge. :D

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:13 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
najumobi wrote:i've never been to indianapolis....how does it compare to st. louis?

I hope this is a playful jab at the Rams and not an indication of your lack of sports knowledge. :D

I stand by my comment. :lol:

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:24 pm

You know whats kinda funny and sad... I grew up a die hard Cowboys fan and never went to a game until the 2008 season, when Brad Johnson started against the Rams and they lost like 34-14.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:35 pm

Whenever someone mentions the Rams, I'm reminded of the following Married with Children sequence:

Peg: Come on, Al, let's go to the mall.

Al: Just a minute, Peg, the football game is not over yet.

TV Announcer: ...and the Rams take the field...

Al: Okay, now it's over. Let's go.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:41 pm

romothesavior wrote:You know whats kinda funny and sad... I grew up a die hard Cowboys fan and never went to a game until the 2008 season, when Brad Johnson started against the Rams and they lost like 34-14.

They weren't (much) worse than my team last year though.

La Grind Date

Postby La Grind Date » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:44 pm

Any of you guys see yourself working in NYC?

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:13 pm

STA0815 wrote:Any of you guys see yourself working in NYC?

Never. OK, never say never, but unless wachtell gives me full salary and bonus for half the hours, I wouldn't ever choose to live in NYC.

So, I guess that is pretty much never anyway.

jumpropeck

Postby jumpropeck » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:17 pm

Yes.

La Grind Date

Postby La Grind Date » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:27 pm

jumpropeck wrote:

Yes.

me too, buddy.

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:28 pm

Ok I want to join in on all of these conversations.

1. I could see myself living in any big city, except LA. I have an odd and unfounded hatred for LA but I stand by it.

2. I could definitely see myself in NYC, but I highly doubt I'll end up there.

3. I don't really care much for pro-football honestly but I do like college football. I will say this: If Bradford gets drafted to the Rams this year, I will be the biggest Rams fan out there!

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:32 pm

k wustl FINALLY got my travel reimbursement. it took several dropped phone calls and test emails (I sent 2 to the correct email address over the course of 2 weeks and they never got them) but they finally got a fax AND email copy. so yay for me eventually getting money. boo at my credit card currently being $1700 and my bank account having $1000 in it. stupid school visits!

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:01 pm

Just called to follow up on my scholarship negotiation email and they said that they weren't going to be able to raise it. They mentioned that they don't have any more money to spread around but that might have just been a courtesy thing to say.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:53 pm

Bad day for me with the WUSTL admissions office. First they tell me they cannot reimburse me for gas because I don't have the receipts (like Strato, I tried negotiating this since mileage is standard practice and who the hell keeps gas station receipts?) Then I had my request for an increase in SIL rejected. Poo.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:57 pm

Given that we know WUSTL's class is currently over-deposited, I really doubt they have any incentive to increase scholarships.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:00 pm

JCougar wrote:Given that we know WUSTL's class is currently over-deposited, I really doubt they have any incentive to increase scholarships.

Yeah I know. It just sucks. If you won't at least give me a scholarship increase, at LEAST give me my measley $200 back. I'm broke as shit right now and I need to pay my last month of rent.

All this really means is that I am staying on Michigan's waitlist and will go there if admitted. I cannot justify picking WUSTL at 100k over Michigan at sticker. I also need to think long and hard about turning down my UIUC offer. In terms of placement and opportunity, there is virtually no difference between the two schools... the only difference is that I LOVE St. Louis and Wash U's campus, whereas I HATE Chapaign and UIUC's campus. But is that personal preference worth $50,000?

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:06 pm

romothesavior wrote:Bad day for me with the WUSTL admissions office. First they tell me they cannot reimburse me for gas because I don't have the receipts (like Strato, I tried negotiating this since mileage is standard practice and who the hell keeps gas station receipts?) Then I had my request for an increase in SIL rejected. Poo.

Sorry, same here :(. They're saying they're over their scholarship budget.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:18 pm

romothesavior wrote:
JCougar wrote:Given that we know WUSTL's class is currently over-deposited, I really doubt they have any incentive to increase scholarships.

Yeah I know. It just sucks. If you won't at least give me a scholarship increase, at LEAST give me my measley $200 back. I'm broke as shit right now and I need to pay my last month of rent.

All this really means is that I am staying on Michigan's waitlist and will go there if admitted. I cannot justify picking WUSTL at 100k over Michigan at sticker. I also need to think long and hard about turning down my UIUC offer. In terms of placement and opportunity, there is virtually no difference between the two schools... the only difference is that I LOVE St. Louis and Wash U's campus, whereas I HATE Chapaign and UIUC's campus. But is that personal preference worth $50,000?

Yeah, I've studied their placement long and hard, and there really is no discernible difference except that WUSTL seems to place a bit better on the east coast and UIUC seems to place a bit better in Chicago. $50,000 is a lot of money. That's the cost of a pretty nice car when you graduate.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:21 pm

JCougar wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Yeah, I've studied their placement long and hard, and there really is no discernible difference except that WUSTL seems to place a bit better on the east coast and UIUC seems to place a bit better in Chicago. $50,000 is a lot of money. That's the cost of a pretty nice car when you graduate.

I do value my happiness in law school, however... And there is no doubt whatsoever that I would enjoy Wash U far more than UIUC. It is a really tough weighing of interests.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:05 pm

jumpropeck wrote:I just want to let you all know that I am slightly upset with the general lack of enthusiasm in this thread. This may be due to the fact that a lot of people still haven't committed so I'm willing to hold off on completely passing judgement until after April 15th.

WUSTL is an awesome school and STL will be a fine place to live for at least three years. I want to see a significant increase in the use of exclamation marks (!) and emoticons.

Thanks.

Okay, I'm actually gonna jump on board here with jumpropeck on this one. Let's get a little more excited about WUSTL! I want to start seeing this thread on the main page when i get on TLS.

And let's start getting involved in the Facebook group as well. Only one person has posted anything on the wall in there! (I wonder who that would be? :wink: )

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:09 pm

romothesavior wrote:
jumpropeck wrote:I just want to let you all know that I am slightly upset with the general lack of enthusiasm in this thread. This may be due to the fact that a lot of people still haven't committed so I'm willing to hold off on completely passing judgement until after April 15th.

WUSTL is an awesome school and STL will be a fine place to live for at least three years. I want to see a significant increase in the use of exclamation marks (!) and emoticons.

Thanks.

Okay, I'm actually gonna jump on board here with jumpropeck on this one. Let's get a little more excited about WUSTL! I want to start seeing this thread on the main page when i get on TLS.

And let's start getting involved in the Facebook group as well. Only one person has posted anything on the wall in there! (I wonder who that would be? :wink: )

Yes! Let's get pumped! Btw, I hope you do choose WUSTL. I know there is an issue with money and for me there is too. But honestly in my opinion, I think happiness counts for a lot. Soooo take that for whatever that's worth :D.

theantiscalia

Postby theantiscalia » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:17 pm

I'm now leaning towards ND, but I agree that everybody should get pumped for WUSTL... if I didn't want the resume diversity and if ND wasn't cheaper, I'd go to WUSTL... great school, great experience. And they rise in the rankings every year!

Go bears!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”