WUSTL Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby stratocophic » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:13 am

darklighter13 wrote:
stratocophic wrote:Also, sup lurking WUSTLers, why aren't you on here talking smack too?


I'm not as clever as the rest of you are. :cry:
It's ok to just say you have better things to do with your time than post on TLS, I wish I could say the same right this second :lol: Summer job alternates between being awesome and making me want to knock myself unconscious. Even my boss said she doesn't know how I stay awake for some of the stuff she has me do

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby JCougar » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:58 am

stratocophic wrote:
darklighter13 wrote:
stratocophic wrote:Also, sup lurking WUSTLers, why aren't you on here talking smack too?


I'm not as clever as the rest of you are. :cry:
It's ok to just say you have better things to do with your time than post on TLS, I wish I could say the same right this second :lol: Summer job alternates between being awesome and making me want to knock myself unconscious. Even my boss said she doesn't know how I stay awake for some of the stuff she has me do


At least your manager seems to have a sense of self-awareness.

I love my summer job so far, but in my job before law school, my manager would give me ridiculously menial tasks to fill the time in-between her taking forever to review/micromanage my more serious work. But she seemed to think the ridiculously menial tasks were "a great opportunity" and "something I could put on my resume."

There were many, many slow afternoons where I thought about coating myself in chicken grease and jumping into the alligator pond. Luckily, I had TLS to poast on instead.

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby JCougar » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:45 am

wustlgunner2013 wrote:
nyyankees wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
Oban wrote:So did anyone get any interviews at the New York or DC programs? Are these firms only interviewing top 10 percent?
I got one! (lulz) Only because I'm IP though. Thankfully NY only barely makes it into the top 10 list of places I'm looking to work. Almost certainly just top 10% for WUSTL IMO, maybe a bit lower for someone w/ a bunch of good things on their resume. 99% sure I'll be declining tomorrow anyway, hopefully it goes to someone else in our class. Too expensive for for too little chance of any positive ROI (based on results with the other 19 I bid on).


They definitely arent strictly sticking to their posted cutoffs. i think as people drop out, they are going to other people #hopefullytopeoplewithaccomodatingschedules


Bottom 50%. 2 years work experience. Got an interview at one of the NY firms.


Wow...this makes me feel bad for at least not participating in the NYC interview program. NYC is pretty far down on my list of places where I actually want to work, but beggars can't be choosers. I figured bidding on NYC was pointless due to all the high cutoffs and due to my lack of ties to the area (and I guess my lack of interest). I've got pretty good work experience, though...perhaps I would have gotten an interview.

User avatar
Hannibal
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby Hannibal » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:00 pm

stratocophic wrote:Ha, dude I figured out who you are on the 2014 FB group and I wasn't even trying, just put 2 and 2 together - it's pretty easy to puzzle out who people are without even meaning to


I've stopped advertising a ton of little things that would instantly identify me, but pretty sure that cat's out of the bag :x

User avatar
bouakedojo
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:08 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby bouakedojo » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:14 pm

.
Last edited by bouakedojo on Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby fl0w » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:16 pm

i've said things about myself that are so unique that everyone has been able to out me within 35 seconds of talking to me.

But I have a complete inability to match peoples' handles here with their real life. I just don't care enough to try or to remember even when i do happen to figure one out.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby stratocophic » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:29 pm

Hannibal wrote:
stratocophic wrote:Ha, dude I figured out who you are on the 2014 FB group and I wasn't even trying, just put 2 and 2 together - it's pretty easy to puzzle out who people are without even meaning to


I've stopped advertising a ton of little things that would instantly identify me, but pretty sure that cat's out of the bag :x
I'd come up with a new handle or two if you're going for anonymity, little things didn't even enter into it :lol:
bouakedojo wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
stratocophic wrote:Ha, dude I figured out who you are on the 2014 FB group and I wasn't even trying, just put 2 and 2 together - it's pretty easy to puzzle out who people are without even meaning to


I've stopped advertising a ton of little things that would instantly identify me, but pretty sure that cat's out of the bag :x


*Goes to facebook page and looks for Pokemon pics on person's profile...

j/k :D

I think I want to go for anonymous as well, although it'd be cool to have a WUSTL TLS meetup. Seems like we have a rather large contingent here.
2013 TLSers and a few other people did a baseball game and went out afterwards, it was pretty fun. Especially the very end... wish I'd have stuck around for the aftermath. Those two for ones, man. SMH.

User avatar
nyyankees
Posts: 484
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:50 am

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby nyyankees » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:02 am

Paddy O's - its a fun spot after cards games

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:36 pm

signontheline wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
signontheline wrote:Top 20% + LR got me 10 interviews and 2 alternates in NY, didn't apply to DC.

IP/WE/URM? That seems like an awful lot of interviews for your grades, even with LR. I know someone around top 15% and LR who only got like 2 interviews and 2 alts.


Just strong (and obvious) ties to the market.

That still seems abnormally high considering NYC is the market which requires the least ties. In any case, glad to hear some people are having success... it sounded like most people were frustrated with how NYC turned out. Congrats and good luck!

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby fl0w » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:44 pm

So...
OCI..

Fall OCI already open for bidding before we even get EIW results? 1) geeze 2) really? 3) hope more firms are added?

Total Litigator
Posts: 695
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:17 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby Total Litigator » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:20 pm

I'm a little confused... Is EIW only 8 employers? Unless they are doing things differently this year, that is strange. Last year EIW had about 40 firms, and almost half of those were actually conducting interviews on campus....

clarification: I am a 3L, maybe I can only see the firms that are looking for 3L's....

darklighter13
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:01 am

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby darklighter13 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:28 am

Total Litigator wrote:I'm a little confused... Is EIW only 8 employers? Unless they are doing things differently this year, that is strange. Last year EIW had about 40 firms, and almost half of those were actually conducting interviews on campus....

clarification: I am a 3L, maybe I can only see the firms that are looking for 3L's....


Maybe -- I have 70 listings for EIW, translating into 39 employers actually interviewing on campus (after removing direct sends and 7 of the 8 listings for Bryan Cave).

User avatar
Rock Chalk
Posts: 593
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:11 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby Rock Chalk » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:51 pm

.
Last edited by Rock Chalk on Thu May 24, 2012 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
camstant
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:59 am

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby camstant » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:36 pm

Called a large firm in Chicago yesterday to follow-up on materials I had sent them. Here's the line I got from their recruiting coordinator: "Well, I'm sure I got your materials at some point. But we don't interview at Wash U, so honestly, you'll probably be getting a rejection letter from me soon. Sorry."

A bit embarrassing to say the least.

User avatar
K.R.I.T.
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:20 am

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby K.R.I.T. » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:16 pm

CO '13 transfer here... Now that I'm registering for classes...any professors I need to stay away from? Crain? Levin? Rosen? Thanks in advance, and I'm looking forward to hitting the bars with you in the fall...

User avatar
camstant
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:59 am

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby camstant » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:20 pm

K.R.I.T. wrote:CO '13 transfer here... Now that I'm registering for classes...any professors I need to stay away from? Crain? Levin? Rosen? Thanks in advance, and I'm looking forward to hitting the bars with you in the fall...


I'm taking Levin in admin law--I've heard he's great. I've also heard great things about Crain. Not sure about Rosen.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby stratocophic » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:43 pm

camstant wrote:
K.R.I.T. wrote:CO '13 transfer here... Now that I'm registering for classes...any professors I need to stay away from? Crain? Levin? Rosen? Thanks in advance, and I'm looking forward to hitting the bars with you in the fall...


I'm taking Levin in admin law--I've heard he's great. I've also heard great things about Crain. Not sure about Rosen.
Eeeeh if you say so. I liked his puns, but he pretty much bored me to tears otherwise. FWIW, I recently talked to a guy who agreed with that assessment... who graduated in 1992 :lol:

darklighter13
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:01 am

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby darklighter13 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:30 am

stratocophic wrote:Eeeeh if you say so. I liked his puns, but he pretty much bored me to tears otherwise. FWIW, I recently talked to a guy who agreed with that assessment... who graduated in 1992 :lol:


On the other hand, he was my favorite professor during 1L. But I thought civpro was exciting...

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby JCougar » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:51 am

K.R.I.T. wrote:CO '13 transfer here... Now that I'm registering for classes...any professors I need to stay away from? Crain? Levin? Rosen? Thanks in advance, and I'm looking forward to hitting the bars with you in the fall...


Levin and Crain are pretty highly respected in their fields. I don't think Crain teaches any 1L classes, so nobody in the CO 2013 is going to know much about her, but I interviewed for an RA position for her this summer, and she was very smart (not surprising) and nice. I almost got the position despite it being open only to rising 3Ls, but it was a good interview. I'll have her in the fall. I heard from some recent graduates that she raises sheep on her property outside of St. Louis, and that she's a little bit quirky. She is also highly liberal (no surprise there...probably 80% of all law professors are). I'll also have Levin in the fall, too, so we may get to know one another.

I don't think it matters too much, though. Whether I liked the professor or not had little to do with my grades. And you don't learn anything in law school, so even the good professors that are really nice and entertaining don't teach you much useful information.

Wooostl2012
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:04 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby Wooostl2012 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:12 pm

Had all three of these:

Crain is pretty much exactly as JCougar described, very smart, very liberal, raises sheep. She values participation a lot, but you have to make good points, she doesn't give credit for quantity. It helps if you tend to agree with her position on things, or can answer questions as if you do. Really cares, which is a plus.

Levin is unbelievably smart, esp in admin law. He's difficult to hear from beyond the first few rows, so sit up front if you can. I know a lot of people that thought he was boring, but he's pretty funny in subtle ways if you listen to him. He does do cold calling and is very socratic so it is usually a good idea to read for his class, which in admin involves a book he co-authored. Essentially the whole class revolves around problems that are written at the end of each section.

I'm not a big fan of Rosen. He's a nice enough guy, but definitely a practitioner and not shy about being very political. His test questions weren't very well written. But, nice guy.

Going to have to disagree that you learn nothing in law school. For me, who teaches has made a huge difference on how much material I've retained, and I've actually been surprised how often concepts learned in class have been relevant at my summer gig. Just an opinion.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby stratocophic » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:27 am

Well, now I know what I'm doing next year if/when I make like Adam Dunn on a low changeup in an 0-2 count

http://news.wustl.edu/news/Pages/22510.aspx

User avatar
TatteredDignity
Posts: 1520
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:06 am

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby TatteredDignity » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:30 pm

romothesavior wrote:
signontheline wrote:Top 20% + LR got me 10 interviews and 2 alternates in NY, didn't apply to DC.

IP/WE/URM? That seems like an awful lot of interviews for your grades, even with LR. I know someone around top 15% and LR who only got like 2 interviews and 2 alts.


That is a little scary. Unless you just mean for NYC?

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby fl0w » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:52 pm

0LNewbie wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
signontheline wrote:Top 20% + LR got me 10 interviews and 2 alternates in NY, didn't apply to DC.

IP/WE/URM? That seems like an awful lot of interviews for your grades, even with LR. I know someone around top 15% and LR who only got like 2 interviews and 2 alts.


That is a little scary. Unless you just mean for NYC?


he just means at our NYC Off-Campus-Recruiting program during the summer.

User avatar
bouakedojo
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:08 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby bouakedojo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:54 pm

.
Last edited by bouakedojo on Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TatteredDignity
Posts: 1520
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:06 am

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby TatteredDignity » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:54 pm

fl0w wrote:
0LNewbie wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
signontheline wrote:Top 20% + LR got me 10 interviews and 2 alternates in NY, didn't apply to DC.

IP/WE/URM? That seems like an awful lot of interviews for your grades, even with LR. I know someone around top 15% and LR who only got like 2 interviews and 2 alts.


That is a little scary. Unless you just mean for NYC?


he just means at our NYC Off-Campus-Recruiting program during the summer.


ok, that's good.




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest