WUSTL Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
JCougar

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby JCougar » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:56 am

myq wrote:Sections A and C have grades for Contracts posted...I guess they'll start trickling in now. But Greenfield is a machine.

You lucky bastards...this wait is killing me.

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:55 pm

JCougar wrote:
myq wrote:Sections A and C have grades for Contracts posted...I guess they'll start trickling in now. But Greenfield is a machine.

i looked at my grades for the first time ever today and i had straight Cs and im pretty sure my heart skipped a beat before i realized that just meant credit

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:14 pm

nyyankees wrote:
JCougar wrote:

i looked at my grades for the first time ever today and i had straight Cs and im pretty sure my heart skipped a beat before i realized that just meant credit

I did that the first time....and it still freaks me out even after the fifth time of checking my grades. I know the C's are coming but my heart still skips a beat.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:37 am

So if a prof grades one paper every 30 minutes (which would be hella slow) and spends 5 hours a day grading (which would be far less than most people work in any given day, especially considering you could grade in the comfort of your own home watching bowl games on the TV), it would take ~10 days to grade 100 exams. Even giving them a few extra days for resting and holidays, I am really curious how it could possibly take law profs over a month to grade.

I know this is just the anxiety/stress talking, but it really is hard to believe it takes this long. Its far, far worse than waiting for the LSAT.

motedust

Postby motedust » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:29 am

I'm pretty sure they're just waiting for me to get back to the STL to median pwn me. I mean that seems like the only logical explanation right?!

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:19 am

motedust wrote:I'm pretty sure they're just waiting for me to get back to the STL to median pwn me. I mean that seems like the only logical explanation right?!

They're waiting for the 14-day window to pass where you can retract your loan distribution if you ask me. :)

No point in dropping out if you've already paid for Spring semester!

folgers

Postby folgers » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:49 pm

Mandelker has his finals up for property. First one for me so far.

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:48 pm

seriously, outside of coming on this website a few days ago, i havent even thought about grades, its actually really liberating. im currently at happy hour and loving it.

i know youve heard this all before and it hasnt helped, but ill say it anyway...

theres nothing you can do to change it
theres nothing you can do to make it faster
its gonna be what it is
just relax and get your mind off it

and seriously, youre gonna stress enough over the course of the semester enjoy no stress while you can (and your league champ isnt romo (i have a feeling im gonna hear shit talking for a year - btw congrats))

motedust

Postby motedust » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:54 pm

I'm not sure if I'm even gonna make it to the overflow room this week

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:39 am

motedust wrote:I'm not sure if I'm even gonna make it to the overflow room this week

+1, somebody tell me how it goes. i'll probably check in tomorrow, but highly unlikely i make it on wednesday, thursday, or friday.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:25 pm

Anybody know anything about the 1L OCI? I thought we could begin placing bids today or tomorrow, but I can't even find a link to employers or anything on the CSO website.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:33 pm

romothesavior wrote:Anybody know anything about the 1L OCI? I thought we could begin placing bids today or tomorrow, but I can't even find a link to employers or anything on the CSO website.
Make sure you're on the right OCI date. If you're not on the right one it won't show anything. There are definitely some employers listed as of right now, at least one will be there that isn't listed yet so I'm hoping there'll eventually be more on the list than there are now :?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:50 pm

stratocophic wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Anybody know anything about the 1L OCI? I thought we could begin placing bids today or tomorrow, but I can't even find a link to employers or anything on the CSO website.
Make sure you're on the right OCI date. If you're not on the right one it won't show anything. There are definitely some employers listed as of right now, at least one will be there that isn't listed yet so I'm hoping there'll eventually be more on the list than there are now :?

Yeah okay I found it. And you're right, I know of other firms who said they'd be there so this list will hopefully grow a lot.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:07 am

So OCI...

only 16 firms? Umm... what? Can someone explain to me how this actually works since CSO has failed miserably in doing so? I really hope I'm looking at the wrong "view" or something and there are more than 16 firms.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:43 pm

fl0w wrote:So OCI...

only 16 firms? Umm... what? Can someone explain to me how this actually works since CSO has failed miserably in doing so? I really hope I'm looking at the wrong "view" or something and there are more than 16 firms.

Yeah its not great, but I don't think it is really all that unexpected. It sounds like that's about par for the course for most of WUSTL's peer schools, and some schools don't even have a 1L OCI. I was definitely a little disappointed, but that's pretty much how things are in this economy. Most firms have slashed their 1L programs as a way to cut costs, so very few firms hire 1Ls anymore. Also, today's 1L SA hiring is almost exclusively diversity-based, which makes the remaining 1L SA gigs extremely competitive. I'd be surprised if more than a handful of non-URM 1Ls in our class get big firm 1L summer jobs, and those that do will almost all have stellar grades. 1L OCI is not intended to be a hiring bonanza for 1Ls. 1Ls are expected to go out and get their first internship, and then if you have the grades your 2L fall, the employers come to you for OCI. But most of us are on our own for finding a 1L summer job.

As far as how it works, you just go into Symplicity, go into the documents tab, and upload your resume and other documents. Once you have your documents uploaded, you go into the OCI tab and bid on firms by sending them your documents. I think there was a CSO email a week or two ago explaining how bidding and all that works.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:03 pm

romothesavior wrote:
fl0w wrote:So OCI...

Yeah its not great, but I don't think it is really all that unexpected. It sounds like that's about par for the course for most of WUSTL's peer schools, and some schools don't even have a 1L OCI. I was definitely a little disappointed, but that's pretty much how things are in this economy. Most firms have slashed their 1L programs as a way to cut costs, so very few firms hire 1Ls anymore. Also, today's 1L SA hiring is almost exclusively diversity-based, which makes the remaining 1L SA gigs extremely competitive. I'd be surprised if more than a handful of non-URM 1Ls in our class get big firm 1L summer jobs, and those that do will almost all have stellar grades. 1L OCI is not intended to be a hiring bonanza for 1Ls. 1Ls are expected to go out and get their first internship, and then if you have the grades your 2L fall, the employers come to you for OCI. But most of us are on our own for finding a 1L summer job.

As far as how it works, you just go into Symplicity, go into the documents tab, and upload your resume and other documents. Once you have your documents uploaded, you go into the OCI tab and bid on firms by sending them your documents. I think there was a CSO email a week or two ago explaining how bidding and all that works.

Yeah... i thought i was doing it wrong because i only saw 16 firms. but i guess not. You're right about the diversity programs. I was cranking on those over winter break, but now they are almost all done. I'm better off at this point doing my own job searching than using OCI. It's almost a total waste for anyone that wants to leave st. louis.

folgers

Postby folgers » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:01 pm

fl0w wrote: It's almost a total waste for anyone that wants to leave st. louis.

THIS +100000000

It's not unexpected really in terms of numbers, but I am a little disappointed in the lack of location options. I mean I'm sure Louisville, KY is a lovely place but... and one IP Chicago Firm with resume collection. I don't think it's much different anywhere else really.

dudnaito

Postby dudnaito » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:55 am

So close to just dropping out. Terrible 1st semester grades, lackluster prospects, complete lack of interest in the actual study of law. Law school turned out to be a big mistake i think. I just wish I didn't spend the past 2 years traveling and spending money. -_- I'm broke son!!!!

I'm actually reading up on restaurant administration over casebooks, lol. Start up a small noodle restaurant or somethin... My parents would be proud of what I've accomplished with a T20 undergrad and a 169 LSAT score.

Only good thing about my experience are the peeps here. Excelsior, I'm sure you guys will be massive successes.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:22 pm

dudnaito wrote:So close to just dropping out. Terrible 1st semester grades, lackluster prospects, complete lack of interest in the actual study of law. Law school turned out to be a big mistake i think. I just wish I didn't spend the past 2 years traveling and spending money. -_- I'm broke son!!!!

I'm actually reading up on restaurant administration over casebooks, lol. Start up a small noodle restaurant or somethin... My parents would be proud of what I've accomplished with a T20 undergrad and a 169 LSAT score.

Only good thing about my experience are the peeps here. Excelsior, I'm sure you guys will be massive successes.

I'm really sorry to hear that... Do you just hate law school, or do you think you'll hate practicing law too? Are you gonna be in a lot of debt from here?

dudnaito

Postby dudnaito » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:48 am

romothesavior wrote:
dudnaito wrote:So close to just dropping out. Terrible 1st semester grades, lackluster prospects, complete lack of interest in the actual study of law. Law school turned out to be a big mistake i think. I just wish I didn't spend the past 2 years traveling and spending money. -_- I'm broke son!!!!

Jesus Justin I thought this thread was dead. No debt, just bankrupt now. Frankly, as much as my parents egg me on about how I'm gonna pay for my debt (undergrad included), it's virtually assured they'll take care of it. It's not so much the money but the investment of time that bothers me. Just think of it from the perspective of someone 4 years older than you (proximity to 30 getting closer...closer...), and yeah, the study of law is dry and the practice of it doesn't seem quite so appealing without a decent amount of money in the background.

Honestly, I'm shocked at how many people were making damn good cash before law school, but decided to bounce for this. I just can't get motivated. I have other reasons to stay or leave but I'd rather not voice it out in the forums.

Let's get some drinks or some chow later man, I still need to thank you for helping me out in the beginning of the year. Remember my lobster offer? :D

P.S. Weren't you in a phase of law school hatred? Did your grades help you get over that hump?

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:39 pm

dudnaito wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Jesus Justin I thought this thread was dead. No debt, just bankrupt now. Frankly, as much as my parents egg me on about how I'm gonna pay for my debt (undergrad included), it's virtually assured they'll take care of it. It's not so much the money but the investment of time that bothers me. Just think of it from the perspective of someone 4 years older than you (proximity to 30 getting closer...closer...), and yeah, the study of law is dry and the practice of it doesn't seem quite so appealing without a decent amount of money in the background.

Honestly, I'm shocked at how many people were making damn good cash before law school, but decided to bounce for this. I just can't get motivated. I have other reasons to stay or leave but I'd rather not voice it out in the forums.

Let's get some drinks or some chow later man, I still need to thank you for helping me out in the beginning of the year. Remember my lobster offer? :D

P.S. Weren't you in a phase of law school hatred? Did your grades help you get over that hump?
TBF I think a lot of people are fairly sick of law school right now. I'd love a law job, but law classes blow at the moment. It feels like we just finished finals, and now we're having to ramp back up for another round, but this time the classes aren't nearly as interesting. Booooooooo 2nd semester

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:17 pm

i hate that i live in the library. i go home for short naps and come back. and i still feel like i'm behind / not doing enough.

if, after my job this summer, i am not more excited about law... i might throw in the towel. my knee should be 100% by then. maybe i'll just move to LA and start the professional dance career.

dudnaito

Postby dudnaito » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:11 pm

fl0w wrote:i hate that i live in the library. i go home for short naps and come back. and i still feel like i'm behind / not doing enough.

if, after my job this summer, i am not more excited about law... i might throw in the towel. my knee should be 100% by then. maybe i'll just move to LA and start the professional dance career.

Seriously, you're like a big question mark to me. I know you're smart as hell; I know I don't know you that well, and our relationship is largely defined by reciprocated "what's up's" when we happen to pass by each other, but it's pretty obvious what your passion in life is. Of course I don't know the circumstances surrounding your decision, but thought i'd give you my impression regardless.

All I know is, the legal landscape has changed dramatically. Even students in UVA (10) are expected to be in the top 1/3 to have a good chance at BigLaw, and even if they make it there, I just don't see too many happy endings. I'm friends with two 1L's there right now and I'd give you decent odds for a life of alcoholism, corruption, and psychosis.

I seriously think I want to start a restaurant (lol), which is funny cause I can't cook, but I can follow directions and my product is already better in 3-4 tries than the products in my target area. Like I said before, I'm just disgusted by the time and money that's gone into law school and prep for LSAT, and now I want to go into an industry from the bottom up that I'm sure my parents would view as almost uh.. peasant-like. What to do, what to do ....

Really could've used that law school tuition money to finance this. :?

and honestly... I don't think I have the competitive drive to just do something I clearly don't have a passion for. It's amazing the work ethic and discipline that some students have. Some hate this just as much as me, will grab a beer, ramble on for hours about how b.s. all this is, then will head straight to the library for the next 7 hours. Just.... I don't even have the words for it.

It's just nuts when I come to Con. Law 10 minutes late to find that someone took my seat... she's really old, google her, and find out she was the 13th most powerful person in St. Louis.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:23 pm

dudnaito, i dunno who you are in real life. I'm seriously terrible at associating peoples' handles here to there physical manifestation in the world. At this point I think I only have two handles connected to real people.

PM me and reveal!

Yeah, dance is my passion... but i really do crave intellectual stimulation as well and i don't really get that from dance. I'd be in love w/ law school if it were on the same grading system as b-school. love the learning. just not the most strict evaluation system ever imagined.

dudnaito

Postby dudnaito » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:33 pm

fl0w wrote:dudnaito, i dunno who you are in real life. I'm seriously terrible at associating peoples' handles here to there physical manifestation in the world. At this point I think I only have two handles connected to real people.

PM me and reveal!

Yeah, dance is my passion... but i really do crave intellectual stimulation as well and i don't really get that from dance. I'd be in love w/ law school if it were on the same grading system as b-school. love the learning. just not the most strict evaluation system ever imagined.

sent!!!

I get my daily quota of intellectual stimulation from reading one page of Marcus Aurelius' Meditations... going "WHOA... that's deep."

Jokes aside, I think 90% of us are nerds anyway. My day yesterday was basically making noodles (7 hours of simmer) with my "teacher" (a.k.a. tls dude's gf), then watch the US v. Argentina soccer match, interspersed with NCAA games, then finish off with a UFC event, go home past midnite, play some beethoevn for 15 minutes, then read up on the news and goldman sachs articles on emerging economies for 2 hours, and fall asleep.

Problem is that we have a Legal Practice Outline and Constitutional Law Review Answer due on Monday. It's now 4:30 pm Sunday and I still haven't even started.

alright, enough whining. Probably be in the library in an hour or 2, and just spend the night.

FML!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”