WUSTL Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
sibley

Gold

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Post by sibley » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:45 pm

someone please get this beauty!
--LinkRemoved--

Stephanie13

Bronze

Post by Stephanie13 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:12 am

sibley wrote:someone please get this beauty!
--LinkRemoved--
so cute! but a little far.. I really want to be able to walk to class. good find though!

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:15 am

Stephanie13 wrote:
--LinkRemoved--
so cute! but a little far.. I really want to be able to walk to class. good find though!

walking to class is ideal. it IS so cute though isn't it? it's like... where the good witch lives. whoever lives there will have to get a cat. and a nice purple bench for reading in the garden.

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:26 am

sibley wrote:
Stephanie13 wrote:
--LinkRemoved--

walking to class is ideal. it IS so cute though isn't it? it's like... where the good witch lives. whoever lives there will have to get a cat. and a nice purple bench for reading in the garden.
Hate to ruin it for you, but the ad sounds like they are looking for someone to rent one bedroom, but that people already live there (in other bedrooms).

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:29 am

Sauer Grapes wrote:
sibley wrote:
Stephanie13 wrote:
--LinkRemoved--

Hate to ruin it for you, but the ad sounds like they are looking for someone to rent one bedroom, but that people already live there (in other bedrooms).
I disagree. it's not really possible to share a '4 room efficiency' with a kitchenette and a possibility for a 2nd bedroom. All that's shared looks like the real kitchen and the tv room, but it looks like you've got everything on your own as well separately, and those things are just optional perks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mazzini

Bronze

Post by mazzini » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:35 am

The ad says "private shower" I would not expect a solitary residence to specify like this simply because it would not be necessary.

Stephanie13

Bronze

Post by Stephanie13 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:36 am

mazzini wrote:The ad says "private shower" I would not expect a solitary residence to specify like this simply because it would not be necessary.
I think you're right, it says something about a communal share space. I am really not into that.

mbaino

New

Post by mbaino » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:50 am

Stephanie13 wrote:
mbaino wrote:I DROPPED MY LAPTOP AND BROKE IT. Not a happy camper. Now I'm using my old, slow monster of a laptop. So irritating.

None of you needed to know that, but I wanted to complain.

Someone asked me about the Loop. I personally would not live there. There are so many other nice areas within walking and driving distance. Why risk getting mugged or broken into? Just not worth it.
What if its south of Delmar and in btwn Big Bend and Skinker?
Not worth it. However, Washu has added a nighttime shuttle service that will drop you off directly in front of your door if you live there (and in other popular undergrad neighborhoods) because students have been mugged. --LinkRemoved-- It's on a trial run, so now guarantees about next year.

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:51 am

mazzini wrote:The ad says "private shower" I would not expect a solitary residence to specify like this simply because it would not be necessary.
Ding ding ding... we have a winner. That was the biggest clue, IMO.

Let's look at the ad...
IMMEDIATELY AVAILABLE (spacious, 4-room efficiency): ALL Utilities included, e.g. Wireless DSL, Cable, Central A.C./Heat; 3 minutes from Clayton, WashU; Newly-renovated, fully-furnished - main bedroom/2 closets/window, private shower, kitchenette/3 windows, glass-around living room/or second bedroom overlooking large deck & 60x40 Magical, privacy-fenced, 2-tier yard with full canopy trees & cozy settings; sole occupant this floor; attached to centrally-located Victorian in safe, quiet, friendly neighborhood; Washer-Dryer also available. stunning communal share space, e.g. yard, large kitchen, entertainment room w. 65’ screen, + storage space; Elegantly furnished, spacious, secure, serene & supremely clean; very educated/intelligent, professional occupants; gentle environment seeking responsible, pleasant single adult, possible couple; Gentle small-med. Dog OK - Call Dominic 314.482.3600
So, basically this small house, is split up into 4 "efficiencies" and the rest of the house is "common areas." Basically, you are sharing a 4-bedroom house.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Stephanie13

Bronze

Post by Stephanie13 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:58 am

mbaino wrote:
Stephanie13 wrote:
mbaino wrote:I DROPPED MY LAPTOP AND BROKE IT. Not a happy camper. Now I'm using my old, slow monster of a laptop. So irritating.

Someone asked me about the Loop. I personally would not live there. There are so many other nice areas within walking and driving distance. Why risk getting mugged or broken into? Just not worth it.
Not worth it. However, Washu has added a nighttime shuttle service that will drop you off directly in front of your door if you live there (and in other popular undergrad neighborhoods) because students have been mugged. --LinkRemoved-- It's on a trial run, so now guarantees about next year.
gosh, now i'm really rethinking this.. as much as i love the hustle and bustle of living near the loop i really do not want to be mugged. What about CWE or Demun?

mbaino

New

Post by mbaino » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:02 am

Stephanie13 wrote:
mbaino wrote:
Stephanie13 wrote:

gosh, now i'm really rethinking this.. as much as i love the hustle and bustle of living near the loop i really do not want to be mugged. What about CWE or Demun?
Both very nice areas. If I didn't like my current apartment so much, I would consider living in both those neighborhoods.

Stephanie13

Bronze

Post by Stephanie13 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:13 am

mbaino wrote:
Stephanie13 wrote:
mbaino wrote:
Stephanie13 wrote:
Both very nice areas. If I didn't like my current apartment so much, I would consider living in both those neighborhoods.
Where do you live? If you don't want to broadcast it, could you PM me the neighborhood or complex?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:16 am

If you are looking for walking distance, I think some good places to look are just west of campus and just south of campus. If looking at a map of the area, I'm talking about west of campus on Pershing around the Flynn Park area. And then south of campus right off of Skinker. (I'm specifically looking at a few on Rosebury. But don't take the ones I want! :D )

I'm also looking at places in the Central West End, which are generally cheaper but you cannot wawlk. If you're looking on Google Maps, I'm talking about just east of Forest Park, off of Kingshighway Blvd. and Forest Park Ave. I have a friend who goes to St. Louis College of Pharmacy (near the hospital and part of the WUSTL medical school) and she says she thinks its a pretty decent area. I've seen some decent 1 bedroom places for under 500 dollars. You won't be able to walk, but during the warmer months you could definitely ride your bike through Forest Park and get to school in 10-20 minutes. If I live in CWE, that's probably what I'll do.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:34 am

romothesavior wrote:I'm also looking at places in the Central West End, which are generally cheaper but you cannot wawlk, but during the warmer months you could definitely ride your bike through Forest Park and get to school in 10-20 minutes. If I live in CWE, that's probably what I'll do.
i'll be driving every day...unless it snows, in which case i'll take a 20 min. bus ride to campus. actually i would be afraid to ride a bike around town. i haven't ridden a bike in several years.

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:04 am

najumobi wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I'm also looking at places in the Central West End, which are generally cheaper but you cannot wawlk, but during the warmer months you could definitely ride your bike through Forest Park and get to school in 10-20 minutes. If I live in CWE, that's probably what I'll do.
i'll be driving every day...unless it snows, in which case i'll take a 20 min. bus ride to campus. actually i would be afraid to ride a bike around town. i haven't ridden a bike in several years.
It's time to hone those skills najumobi. It'll come back to you when you start riding. It's like riding a bike, you never forget... wait... I guess that's more appropriate than ever.

And driving in the snow is EASY once you learn how. It's all about being smooth and slow. Easy on the gas, smooth turns, slow down really early, etc. You can do it!

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:19 am

Sauer Grapes wrote:
najumobi wrote:
It's time to hone those skills najumobi. It'll come back to you when you start riding. It's like riding a bike, you never forget... wait... I guess that's more appropriate than ever.

And driving in the snow is EASY once you learn how. It's all about being smooth and slow. Easy on the gas, smooth turns, slow down really early, etc. You can do it!
I've never heard of anyone refusing to drive in the snow before. My best friend and her mom didn't, once. But they are from Hawaii and it was in the middle of this really bad snow storm (by my standards, not theirs). So they called a cab instead. They drove the next day though! I would have driven them but I had somewhere to be.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:24 am

Sauer Grapes wrote:
najumobi wrote:

thanks for the vote of confidence. i'll could probably do it....i'm sure st. louis is more prepared for and better at getting their roads cleared than places here in NC. whenever it snows in NC (eastern NC particularly) everything shuts down.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:27 am

najumobi wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:
najumobi wrote:

thanks for the vote of confidence. i'll could probably do it....i'm sure st. louis is more prepared for and better at getting their roads cleared than places here in NC. whenever it snows in NC (eastern NC particularly) everything shuts down.
lollll, WESTERN NC in particular. all those mountains + boonies = no road clearning/one plow per county.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:29 am

sibley wrote:I've never heard of anyone refusing to drive in the snow before. My best friend and her mom didn't, once. But they are from Hawaii and it was in the middle of this really bad snow storm (by my standards, not theirs). So they called a cab instead. They drove the next day though! I would have driven them but I had somewhere to be.
i drove ~200 miles in snow once, but i kept wanting to drive fast. :mrgreen:
sibley wrote: lollll, WESTERN NC in particular. all those mountains + boonies = no road clearning/one plow per county.
ha

nyyankees

Bronze

Post by nyyankees » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:30 am

does anyone know the fax number that i can send my travel reimbursement stuff to?

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:38 am

nyyankees wrote:does anyone know the fax number that i can send my travel reimbursement stuff to?
Fax: (314) 935-8778

http://law.wustl.edu/contact/index.aspx

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:54 am

najumobi wrote:
nyyankees wrote:does anyone know the fax number that i can send my travel reimbursement stuff to?
Fax: (314) 935-8778

http://law.wustl.edu/contact/index.aspx
they had me email it to them (but all I had was 3/4 of a flight for them to reimburse so I only forwarded them the Delta confirmation email)

b0dylanguage

New

Post by b0dylanguage » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:53 am

What's up guys,

Just wanted to pipe in here and say hello!

Also, for the golf enthusiasts among us - I got a chance to play nine holes before my campus tour at the Forest Park Golf Course. The course (27 holes, I think) is literally right across the street from campus (although about a 5 min drive from AB Hall), and it's decent enough. It cost me $25 to play nine with a cart and rented clubs. Looking forward to hitting the links with some of you in the fall.

Do you guys know anything about the intramural sports offered at Wash U?

Stephanie13

Bronze

Post by Stephanie13 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:21 am

najumobi wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:
najumobi wrote:

Oh my word. Ditto on this. I'm from Texas and there is no way that I'd drive in snow. I don't want to die! Here, schools get closed for snow! :D

Stephanie13

Bronze

Post by Stephanie13 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:22 am

b0dylanguage wrote:
Do you guys know anything about the intramural sports offered at Wash U?
I would like to know about this as well!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”