WUSTL Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
najumobi

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby najumobi » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:59 pm

JCougar wrote:Alright...so I think I'm going to buy a city bike from REI and just bike to school. I don't want to pay for parking, and I live on Lindell so if it's raining I can just take the bus. My commute will be mostly through the park anyway. I think my car will be for grocery shopping or if I have to go out to the suburbs only. Time to both reduce my carbon footprint and get more in shape at the same time.

Whoever was on here before saying he/she wanted to go for some rides recreationally, I'd be game.

nice plan....
daily exercise routine....check.
also i think there are 2 or 3 grocery stores in our neighborhood so you may not need your car even for grocery shopping (i'm assuming you live closer to the forest park end of lindell and not near slu).

Oban

Postby Oban » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:20 am

I'm also on a road trip from the west/LA. In Denver Right now, will make it to Kansas City Tomorrow.

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:07 am

shit if theres still room, im def in for fantasy football

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:38 am

nyyankees wrote:shit if theres still room, im def in for fantasy football

I was hoping you'd join. I think there is still room.

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:42 am

romothesavior wrote:

There is, we'd just need one more to make it an even 12.

JCougar wrote:Alright...so I think I'm going to buy a city bike from REI and just bike to school.

Speaking of this, does anyone have recommendations on a good, cheap bike or where to get one? I really want to bike to campus, but I'm vehemently opposed to spending thousands or even hundreds on a bike. Suggestions?

La Grind Date

Postby La Grind Date » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:49 am

Rock Chalk wrote:Speaking of this, does anyone have recommendations on a good, cheap bike or where to get one? I really want to bike to campus, but I'm vehemently opposed to spending thousands or even hundreds on a bike. Suggestions?

craigslist is great. if you search daily, you could probably get a decent bike for under $50.

I will also be biking to school--and all over the Lou.

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:03 am

La Grind Date wrote:craigslist is great. if you search daily, you could probably get a decent bike for under $50.

I don't even know which bikes count as decent. Like, are there brands and/or styles to avoid for quality/comfort issues? Are there any that are known for a lack of durability?

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:32 am

najumobi wrote:
JCougar wrote:Alright...so I think I'm going to buy a city bike from REI and just bike to school. I don't want to pay for parking, and I live on Lindell so if it's raining I can just take the bus. My commute will be mostly through the park anyway. I think my car will be for grocery shopping or if I have to go out to the suburbs only. Time to both reduce my carbon footprint and get more in shape at the same time.

Whoever was on here before saying he/she wanted to go for some rides recreationally, I'd be game.

nice plan....
daily exercise routine....check.
also i think there are 2 or 3 grocery stores in our neighborhood so you may not need your car even for grocery shopping (i'm assuming you live closer to the forest park end of lindell and not near slu).

True...if I just do grocery shopping a little bit at a time, I won't need my car for that, either. I live between Schnucks and Golden Grocer (organic grocery store on Euclid). Street parking restrictions are pretty lax where I live, so I won't even have to move my car much.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:36 am

Rock Chalk wrote:
JCougar wrote:Alright...so I think I'm going to buy a city bike from REI and just bike to school.

Speaking of this, does anyone have recommendations on a good, cheap bike or where to get one? I really want to bike to campus, but I'm vehemently opposed to spending thousands or even hundreds on a bike. Suggestions?

The one I was looking at at REI was $400 bucks:

http://www.rei.com/product/798566

It's a 7-speed and built for city riding. $400 was the max I was looking to spend, but I might decide to go the used route for now as well. I'm giving myself about a week to decide.

Harry Ballsogna

Postby Harry Ballsogna » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:30 pm

What is everyone doing for Microsoft Office apps?

Somewhere along the way I had heard that Office is available at a significant discount to students.

foxbat

Postby foxbat » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:42 pm

Yeah, you can buy the Office suite at the bookstore for Mac or PC at a student discount. I have a Mac and I use Microsoft Office because, well, that's what just about everybody uses and I don't want to be the guy who can't read anyone's files (and vice versa).

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:43 pm

foxbat wrote:Yeah, you can buy the Office suite at the bookstore for Mac or PC at a student discount. I have a Mac and I use Microsoft Office because, well, that's what just about everybody uses and I don't want to be the guy who can't read anyone's files (and vice versa).

how much is it with the discount?

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:00 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

There is, we'd just need one more to make it an even 12.

Walmart special all the way, man. I've been riding my $150 mountain bike for about 5-6 years now and the only problem I've ever had just happened and was my own fault. The majority of its life has been spent riding off-road on some relatively rough trails, not just paved stuff, so it's held up remarkably well (especially for the price).

Incidentally, anyone know how much it might cost to have part of your front brake assembly replaced? :|

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:50 pm

Has anybody chosen a service organization yet? I'm having a hard time deciding...

panadera

Postby panadera » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:55 pm

Moved in yesterday afternoon and am officially unpacked. I'm living in Clayton and it seems really nice so far.

rhit2004

Postby rhit2004 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:11 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:Has anybody chosen a service organization yet? I'm having a hard time deciding...

If none of them are of particular interest choose the Food Pantry one. (I assume it is an option this year --- it is fairly easy --- you essentially take boxes of donated items from Wal-Mart and other stores and combine them together into boxes with a good mix of items for needy families/individuals to pick up later) It gives you an opportunity to converse with a variety of classmates and is pretty low stress, low emotion, and low skill.

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:15 pm

stratocophic wrote:Walmart special all the way, man. I've been riding my $150 mountain bike for about 5-6 years now and the only problem I've ever had just happened and was my own fault. The majority of its life has been spent riding off-road on some relatively rough trails, not just paved stuff, so it's held up remarkably well (especially for the price).

$150 sounds great. I forgot Walmart sells bikes. Any particular model you recommend?

HAMBONE

Postby HAMBONE » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:19 pm

rhit2004 wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:Has anybody chosen a service organization yet? I'm having a hard time deciding...

If none of them are of particular interest choose the Food Pantry one. (I assume it is an option this year --- it is fairly easy --- you essentially take boxes of donated items from Wal-Mart and other stores and combine them together into boxes with a good mix of items for needy families/individuals to pick up later) It gives you an opportunity to converse with a variety of classmates and is pretty low stress, low emotion, and low skill.

there was one last year where we had to do gardening for old rich people living in mansions. that shit was just stupid. I lucked out by signing up for a project that got cancelled. They offered me a chance to join another group but i regretfully declined and went back home to sleep.

ninano

Postby ninano » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:27 pm

lol

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:27 pm

Nooo!! Don't do Wal Mart! I dunno if I could bring myself to buy something from Wal Mart. Shop at Target if you can, they treat their employees far better. They have a bunch of cheap bikes as well, but they're not known for screwing their employees every chance they get.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:41 pm

Let me know what you choose. We'll get a group together.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:49 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:
stratocophic wrote:Walmart special all the way, man. I've been riding my $150 mountain bike for about 5-6 years now and the only problem I've ever had just happened and was my own fault. The majority of its life has been spent riding off-road on some relatively rough trails, not just paved stuff, so it's held up remarkably well (especially for the price).

$150 sounds great. I forgot Walmart sells bikes. Any particular model you recommend?
Eh, not really, mine's a Reflex brand, but I really just picked it over the others (in all my infinite 16-year-old wisdom :roll: ) because it was big enough, had pretty decent shocks for mountain biking, and looked cool. Got lucky, as it's held up well and been a reliable, comfortable bike. Knew nothing about bikes then, don't know a whole lot more now, but I'd just look around at places like Wal-Mart/Target/K-Mart/wherever stuff's cheap and pick one that's relatively comfortable and fits your purpose.
JCougar wrote:Nooo!! Don't do Wal Mart! I dunno if I could bring myself to buy something from Wal Mart. Shop at Target if you can, they treat their employees far better. They have a bunch of cheap bikes as well, but they're not known for screwing their employees every chance they get.
Meh, man on a budget has to do what he has to do. Besides, the Wal-Mart greeters are downright heartwarming

Harry Ballsogna

Postby Harry Ballsogna » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:14 pm

JCougar wrote:
foxbat wrote:Yeah, you can buy the Office suite at the bookstore for Mac or PC at a student discount. I have a Mac and I use Microsoft Office because, well, that's what just about everybody uses and I don't want to be the guy who can't read anyone's files (and vice versa).

how much is it with the discount?

I would be interested to know this as well.

Has anyone heard anything more on class sections/books? This is really starting to cut it close. It would be great to shop around for used books, etc instead of having to buy everything new at the last minute.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:07 pm

Car died today :cry: but got it fixed right away! It's a lot more expensive to get your car fixed here than back in MI. I guess living in automation alley has its perks.

deebs

Postby deebs » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:57 pm

romothesavior wrote:

Let me know what you choose. We'll get a group together.

I like this idea.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”