WUSTL Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
J-tow10

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby J-tow10 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:09 pm

Had a luncheon today at work for my last day (which is actually tomorrow). One step closer to moving to STL :shock: .

Wow, this summer went by fast...

robin600

Postby robin600 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:13 pm

HAHAHA!!! Najmobi, I just read your WoW post on the FB group and the response!! Amazing!

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:24 pm

Anyone care to suggest another CWE restaurant for my gf and me? So far we've tried Kampai, The Drunken Fish, Culpepper's, and Pickles Deli (which was DELICIOUS). My most solid recommendations would be Kampai and Pickles.

Found this list of happy hour specials in the CWE and plan to use it often. Llywelyn's seems to have great daily specials, anyone been there?

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:30 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:Anyone care to suggest another CWE restaurant for my gf and me? So far we've tried Kampai, The Drunken Fish, Culpepper's, and Pickles Deli (which was DELICIOUS). My most solid recommendations would be Kampai and Pickles.

Found this list of happy hour specials in the CWE and plan to use it often. Llywelyn's seems to have great daily specials, anyone been there?
Bar Louie's food is good, plus they're pretty cool. I ordered like 4 different beers one after another and they were out of every single one (this was a Sunday afternoon I think, not too surprising or out of the ordinary). I finally picked one that they did have and it was on the house. WOOOOO

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:39 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:Anyone care to suggest another CWE restaurant for my gf and me? So far we've tried Kampai, The Drunken Fish, Culpepper's, and Pickles Deli (which was DELICIOUS). My most solid recommendations would be Kampai and Pickles.

Can't help ya in CWE since I don't know the area too well, but you should get outta CWE if you want some killer food. If you like ethnic food, Grand Avenue is the place to be... tons of great Thai, Vietnamese, and even some oddballs like Ethiopian and Persian. Or hop on over to The Hill (south of Forest Park, just south of I-44) for outstanding Italian. Trust me, these areas are worth the trip out of CWE.

deebs

Postby deebs » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:49 pm

publiuspublicola wrote:PS: ec, camp out at the stage where The Black Keys perform. They kick ass.

This. I saw them 4 years ago at Lollapalooza and there weren't too many people. The year after it was packed. I can't imagine how crowded it will be this year.

My favorite Lolla show is still Girl Talk though. He was crowd surfing in an inflatable pool and they put it at a small stage so no deliveries could go through the crowd so people were just dancing on top of the ice truck.

And now I'm looking at the ticket page contemplating a last minute buy.

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:51 pm

deebs wrote:
publiuspublicola wrote:PS: ec, camp out at the stage where The Black Keys perform. They kick ass.

This. I saw them 4 years ago at Lollapalooza and there weren't too many people. The year after it was packed. I can't imagine how crowded it will be this year.

My favorite Lolla show is still Girl Talk though. He was crowd surfing in an inflatable pool and they put it at a small stage so no deliveries could go through the crowd so people were just dancing on top of the ice truck.

And now I'm looking at the ticket page contemplating a last minute buy.

Girl Talk is great, I saw him for the first time at the 40 Acres Festival in Austin this year and it was phenomenal.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:33 pm

robin600 wrote:HAHAHA!!! Najmobi, I just read your WoW post on the FB group and the response!! Amazing!

yeah after hearing my description, a friend of mine suggested that was probably the kind of person i was looking for in a roommate....the guy i will be rooming with seems to fit the criteria i listed in that post.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:37 pm

Had to youtube it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Acf9qQ4J ... re=related

Girl Talk is a badass; he needs to get to St. Louis ASAP.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:40 pm

Rasoi is fantastic if you like Indian food.

deebs

Postby deebs » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:51 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:Had to youtube it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Acf9qQ4J ... re=related

Girl Talk is a badass; he needs to get to St. Louis ASAP.

]
HAHA, yes. Supposed to go visit GF this weekend, trying to see if she wants to go to lolla now - didn't think tickets would still be available

llfurby

Postby llfurby » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:00 pm

Orientation schedule is up on the admitted students page.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:03 pm

llfurby wrote:Orientation schedule is up on the admitted students page.

Awesome thanks!

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:08 pm

romothesavior wrote:
llfurby wrote:Orientation schedule is up on the admitted students page.

Awesome thanks!
Where is it on the page?

Edit: never mind. Somehow I was accessing the old bulletin board. :roll:
Last edited by stratocophic on Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:08 pm

Ouch... ~8 am starts everyday? And doesn't it seem strange that we're learning about parking, security, and sexual violence before we even get formally welcomed to campus by the dean? :D

Can't wait though... really stoked.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:11 pm

beachbum wrote:Rasoi is fantastic if you like Indian food.

And with that I'm definitely going to get Indian tonight-any other good Indian places in st. Louis?

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:37 pm

Oban wrote:how many people are living in the Carleton? Half the class? :roll:

i'm thurr

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:00 pm

romothesavior wrote:Can't help ya in CWE since I don't know the area too well, but you should get outta CWE if you want some killer food. If you like ethnic food, Grand Avenue is the place to be... tons of great Thai, Vietnamese, and even some oddballs like Ethiopian and Persian. Or hop on over to The Hill (south of Forest Park, just south of I-44) for outstanding Italian. Trust me, these areas are worth the trip out of CWE.

I had Charlie Gitto's Italian the other day for lunch and it was great. I've also eaten at BB's Jazz & Blues downtown, but I wasn't too impressed other than the wings. I'm just starting with the CWE & downtown because they're the most convenient (near apt and job, respectively). My next area to conquer will be Soulard per the advice of many STL natives. By winter break I plan to have eaten everywhere!

And Rasoi is definitely on my list. I've heard good things. Thanks for the recommendations.

On another note, those coming from cooler climates, brace yourselves. This heat wave has been brutal!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:16 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Can't help ya in CWE since I don't know the area too well, but you should get outta CWE if you want some killer food. If you like ethnic food, Grand Avenue is the place to be... tons of great Thai, Vietnamese, and even some oddballs like Ethiopian and Persian. Or hop on over to The Hill (south of Forest Park, just south of I-44) for outstanding Italian. Trust me, these areas are worth the trip out of CWE.

I had Charlie Gitto's Italian the other day for lunch and it was great. I've also eaten at BB's Jazz & Blues downtown, but I wasn't too impressed other than the wings. I'm just starting with the CWE & downtown because they're the most convenient (near apt and job, respectively). My next area to conquer will be Soulard per the advice of many STL natives. By winter break I plan to have eaten everywhere!

And Rasoi is definitely on my list. I've heard good things. Thanks for the recommendations.

On another note, those coming from cooler climates, brace yourselves. This heat wave has been brutal!

Huge +1 to Charlie G's. Did you go to the one on The Hill or near downtown? I went to the one on The Hill last Saturday and it may have been the best Italian I've ever had (not to mention one of the most expensive meals I've ever had).

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:46 pm

romothesavior wrote:Huge +1 to Charlie G's. Did you go to the one on The Hill or near downtown? I went to the one on The Hill last Saturday and it may have been the best Italian I've ever had (not to mention one of the most expensive meals I've ever had).

I went to the one downtown, and yeah it wasn't cheap and now I have to walk past it everyday and resist the temptation to spend money I shouldn't spend. Just looked up The Hill on google and realized I've driven past it several times. I'll have to go check out some other restaurants in the area, Italian is the gf's favorite so I might be spending a lot of time there.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:04 pm

romothesavior wrote:Ouch... ~8 am starts everyday? And doesn't it seem strange that we're learning about parking, security, and sexual violence before we even get formally welcomed to campus by the dean? :D

Orientation looks like a big snore.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:29 pm

fl0w wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Ouch... ~8 am starts everyday? And doesn't it seem strange that we're learning about parking, security, and sexual violence before we even get formally welcomed to campus by the dean? :D

This. All of this.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:45 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:
fl0w wrote:

This. All of this.

Wanna ditch? I'm sure we could find something better to do.

HAMBONE

Postby HAMBONE » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:53 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:
fl0w wrote:

This. All of this.

I am a 2l at WashU and figured I should chime in on this. If the schedule is anything like last year's it is absolutely terrible and boring. After the first day people started showing up early to save a spot in the 'overflow room' so they can pass out and recover from the hangovers and to avoid getting called on for the idiotic fake classes

btw overflow room is the room right across the bryan cave courtroom

motedust

Postby motedust » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:04 pm

HAMBONE wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:
fl0w wrote:

This. All of this.

I am a 2l at WashU and figured I should chime in on this. If the schedule is anything like last year's it is absolutely terrible and boring. After the first day people started showing up early to save a spot in the 'overflow room' so they can pass out and recover from the hangovers and to avoid getting called on for the idiotic fake classes

btw overflow room is the room right across the bryan cave courtroom

Oh yeah this is money right here, way to help a brother out. I'm definitely gonna need a place to crash, the schedule looks absolutely awful, I thought there would be more off campus midday boozing.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”