WUSTL Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
sibley

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby sibley » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:02 pm

re: books. Use bookfinder.com. It searches all the sites, half, amazon market, abe books included.

mbaino

Postby mbaino » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:51 am

ninano wrote:
mbaino wrote:I am all over going to Six Flags! I am addicted to rollercoasters. I went to the one in STL 7 times last summer. No joke.

It's much smaller than a larger Six Flags (like Magic Mountain in LA), but it's fun. The lines are also pretty short whenever you go. During the week, we will practically stroll right onto the rides.

Mbaino: Are you in town now? Im up for going this week or the next! Is anyone else game?

Robin600: jc631 and I maybe meeting up on Wednesday for lunch or dinner and then maybe walking around. Don't know what we will be doing yet but join us!

I'm down! I'm doing this Sonnenschien program, so I would leave by 5pm. Let me know what day you want to go!

Sonnenschein people: Let's out ourselves! I am the builder that breached the gargoyle contract and I refused to pay more than 5k.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:17 am

mbaino wrote:
ninano wrote:
mbaino wrote:I am all over going to Six Flags! I am addicted to rollercoasters. I went to the one in STL 7 times last summer. No joke.

It's much smaller than a larger Six Flags (like Magic Mountain in LA), but it's fun. The lines are also pretty short whenever you go. During the week, we will practically stroll right onto the rides.

Mbaino: Are you in town now? Im up for going this week or the next! Is anyone else game?

Robin600: jc631 and I maybe meeting up on Wednesday for lunch or dinner and then maybe walking around. Don't know what we will be doing yet but join us!

I'm down! I'm doing this Sonnenschien program, so I would leave by 5pm. Let me know what day you want to go!

Sonnenschein people: Let's out ourselves! I am the builder that breached the gargoyle contract and I refused to pay more than 5k.
IP nerd reporting for duty.

Joga Bonito

Postby Joga Bonito » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:36 am

mbaino wrote:
ninano wrote:

I'm FINE!...

folgers

Postby folgers » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:34 pm

Could those who have lived in St. Louis, or in colder weather areas in general, give some suggestions or a list of clothing/weather related gear that might be needed? I know St. Louis isn't North Dakota or anything, but coming from Houston it seems like it since our cold weather clothing means jeans and a sweater. I've pretty much lived in shorts and flip flops forever, so I'm sure I'm not well prepared. They don't really even sell true cold weather stuff at the stores here. You're lucky to find a scarf.

I just don't want to walk out the door for class one day and realize I'm going to freeze all day even with my coat, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

J-tow10

Postby J-tow10 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:43 pm

folgers wrote:Could those who have lived in St. Louis, or in colder weather areas in general, give some suggestions or a list of clothing/weather related gear that might be needed? I know St. Louis isn't North Dakota or anything, but coming from Houston it seems like it since our cold weather clothing means jeans and a sweater. I've pretty much lived in shorts and flip flops forever, so I'm sure I'm not well prepared. They don't really even sell true cold weather stuff at the stores here. You're lucky to find a scarf.

I just don't want to walk out the door for class one day and realize I'm going to freeze all day even with my coat, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Disclaimer: Never actually lived in STL, but I am a Michigan native so I can speak to living in colder climates.

From what I've heard, STL doesn't get too much snow (maybe ~12 inches/year from what I've read online?). The general consensus seems to be that it snows a little, melts/freezes, and then disappears only to repeat the cycle later on. That being said, I would invest in a winter coat (I know I'll be bringing two winter coats) like a North Face or if that's not your thing, then a pea coat. In the winter in Michigan, jeans and waterproof shoes usually work for me. I only just started using scarves this past year, but I'm use to the cold. Don't let the cold scare you though, it really is not as bad as people from down south say it is. I have a friend from undergrad who is from Cali and loves Michigan winters.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:44 pm

folgers wrote:Could those who have lived in St. Louis, or in colder weather areas in general, give some suggestions or a list of clothing/weather related gear that might be needed? I know St. Louis isn't North Dakota or anything, but coming from Houston it seems like it since our cold weather clothing means jeans and a sweater. I've pretty much lived in shorts and flip flops forever, so I'm sure I'm not well prepared. They don't really even sell true cold weather stuff at the stores here. You're lucky to find a scarf.

im the same since im from California. i've looked up the weather and it does get cold but nothing like below 0 or anything. i think 20-30 during the coldest time and 100 during the hottest. i'm planning to buy clothes there once i see the weather. coldest weather in california is like 60....

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:50 pm

I'm from Chicago.

I've lived through wintere here.

I can handle anything.

mazzini

Postby mazzini » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:00 pm

Sonnenschein people: Let's out ourselves! I am the builder that breached the gargoyle contract and I refused to pay more than 5k

I sat next to you... I wore a black T-shirt. Yeah, I know, classy...

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:03 pm

St. Louis doesn't get TOO cold or get a ton of snow, but here are some winter must haves:

-Stocking cap
-Gloves
-Heavy coat (I'm not talking about a thin North Face or Columbia, I mean an actual winter coat)
-Hoodies

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:04 pm

Are we outing ourselves? Okay, here goes.

March ASW people: I was the REALLY REALLY good looking one.

publiuspublicola

Postby publiuspublicola » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:42 pm

romothesavior wrote:Are we outing ourselves? Okay, here goes.

March ASW people: I was the REALLY REALLY good looking one.

--ImageRemoved--

mbaino

Postby mbaino » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:04 pm

romothesavior wrote:

St. Louis doesn't get TOO cold or get a ton of snow, but here are some winter must haves:

-Stocking cap
-Gloves
-Heavy coat (I'm not talking about a thin North Face or Columbia, I mean an actual winter coat)
-Hoodies

Agreed. As far as what constitutes a "heavy coat" - get one that is filled with down. If you come from a warmer place, you have no idea what an actual coat is. What I thought was a coat growing up in LA is actually a warm fall jacket. If you get cold easily (like I do, even after four STL winters) a down-filled coat that goes to your knees is perfect. I bought a really nice Calvin Klein one from Burlington Coat Factory (south on Kingshighway in STL) for about $100. I would suggest going to BCF in STL for a winter coat before it's actually winter; then it'll be dirt cheap.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:45 pm

anybody signing up for that mentor program they just emailed about?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:12 pm

Men, this coat is pure win for winter. My dad and I both have one and we love them: http://www.overstock.com/Clothing-Shoes/Dockers-Mens-Zip-front-Wool-Coat/3366297/product.html

publiuspublicola

Postby publiuspublicola » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:13 pm

fl0w wrote:anybody signing up for that mentor program they just emailed about?

Yeah, filling out the form now -- I'm being kind of an ass with my responses though. Hopefully that means they'll pick someone who similarly asshole-ish to be my mentor.

folgers

Postby folgers » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:16 pm

I was logging on to ask the same thing. Sounds interesting enough. I might do it I suppose, but I'd be curious how helpful it was to anyone who participated before.

Also, thanks to everyone for the suggestions about the cold weather clothing. Is it necessary to get one of those ice chipper things for your car windshield or is that really only needed for much colder climates?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:01 pm

folgers wrote:

I was logging on to ask the same thing. Sounds interesting enough. I might do it I suppose, but I'd be curious how helpful it was to anyone who participated before.

Also, thanks to everyone for the suggestions about the cold weather clothing. Is it necessary to get one of those ice chipper things for your car windshield or is that really only needed for much colder climates?

You'll need one. You warm weather only people are oh-so-cute. :lol:

robin600

Postby robin600 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:24 pm

folgers wrote:

Being a northern MI native, I actually have a small shovel I keep in my car trunk to shovel the snow off of my windshield and to dig myself out at times. I probably will look like an ass doing it in STL, but I have a feeling it will be much more efficient!

I filled out the mentor application thing. At least it's some networking.

Oh and PS- the gym is closed until the 8th. Yeah I went all the way over there today to find that out. But once the 8th starts does anybody wanna work out with me regularly?

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:30 pm

publiuspublicola wrote:

Yeah, filling out the form now -- I'm being kind of an ass with my responses though. Hopefully that means they'll pick someone who similarly asshole-ish to be my mentor.

I sort of don't like the idea of having a mentor that is younger than me... and I bet that's what would happen.

folgers

Postby folgers » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:50 pm

fl0w wrote:
publiuspublicola wrote:

I sort of don't like the idea of having a mentor that is younger than me... and I bet that's what would happen.

There is that space for "other things to consider" where you could request someone older than you. I think I remember you said you were 28 or 29, something like that right? I think due to the economy there are probably a larger number of 30 and over people in law school than usual. Now whether they agreed to participate in the mentor program is a different story, but from my experiences in undergrad it was always the "older" students who were the first ones to volunteer for things and hand out advice.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:56 pm

And publius, I see your meme and raise you:

--ImageRemoved--

publiuspublicola

Postby publiuspublicola » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:12 pm

Does this mean we're all actually enrolled at The Derek Zoolander Center for Kids Who Can't Read Good and Want To Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too??

jc631

Postby jc631 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:13 pm

Robin600, Ninano, and I are meeting tomorrow at one for lunch at Pi. Anyone else want to come?

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:26 pm

jc631 wrote:Robin600, Ninano, and I are meeting tomorrow at one for lunch at Pi. Anyone else want to come?

I live right next to Pi, but won't be getting in until about 4:00 tomorrow. If you do anything afterwards, I may be game.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”