WUSTL Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
finalaspects

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby finalaspects » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:12 pm

anyone know... for those who are coming from out of state, if we need to get a new drivers license? from what i heard, we don't need to since we won't be a permanent resident, just attending the school. but i don't know what happens with those stickers with the year dates on them (registration).

camstant

Postby camstant » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:13 pm

romothesavior wrote:
publiuspublicola wrote:My new favorite thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123652

I see that and raise you this:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120236

The entire thing is epic. Ignore my OP... I didn't start that thread, but I was given OP power was handed over to me. Someone named seija did asking about a couple of schools. Shitshow ensues.

Yeah right, just transfer already

camstant

Postby camstant » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:15 pm

finalaspects wrote:anyone know... for those who are coming from out of state, if we need to get a new drivers license? from what i heard, we don't need to since we won't be a permanent resident, just attending the school. but i don't know what happens with those stickers with the year dates on them (registration).

nah, unless you end up establishing residency (which is entirely unnecessary at this point) there's no reason to get a new license. You will just need to have those sticker sent to you when it's renewed each year

folgers

Postby folgers » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:19 pm

finalaspects wrote:anyone know... for those who are coming from out of state, if we need to get a new drivers license? from what i heard, we don't need to since we won't be a permanent resident, just attending the school. but i don't know what happens with those stickers with the year dates on them (registration).

I was thinking the same thing about the registration stickers for your car. I was driving in my car the other day and noticed that I need to renew my sticker in August and wondered if I would have to drive back home (14 hrs) once a year just to renew that stupid sticker. I thought inspections varied from state to state so you had to get it done in the state you were registered?

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:23 pm

folgers wrote:

I was thinking the same thing about the registration stickers for your car. I was driving in my car the other day and noticed that I need to renew my sticker in August and wondered if I would have to drive back home (14 hrs) once a year just to renew that stupid sticker. I thought inspections varied from state to state so you had to get it done in the state you were registered?

i renew by mail ever year. if your state does the same thing you don't need to drive back home. just get the sticker mailed to you in st. louis. thats what i'm planning to do as the poster above stated. except california registration is probably the most expensive so yea...

rhit2004

Postby rhit2004 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:31 pm

camstant wrote:

nah, unless you end up establishing residency (which is entirely unnecessary at this point) there's no reason to get a new license. You will just need to have those sticker sent to you when it's renewed each year

I took a year to change my driver's license and license plates over to MO. My old plates were expiring and I had no logical reason to leave them in NJ (no family, no property, etc) so I got new MO plates. I got a new driver's license as the same time in MO because my old one was going to expire while I was still a law student and it saved me extra trips to the license bureau. If you are still registered in your parent's state or are maintaining a piece of property in another state I would leave everything there because registering a car in MO is a royal pain in the rear. You must get a safety inspection, an environmental inspection, and a certificate from the county auditor saying you don't owe any property taxes (plus you will owe property tax on your vehicle in future years) all from different locations before going to the license bureau for the actual registration.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:04 pm

rhit2004 wrote:
camstant wrote:

I took a year to change my driver's license and license plates over to MO. My old plates were expiring and I had no logical reason to leave them in NJ (no family, no property, etc) so I got new MO plates. I got a new driver's license as the same time in MO because my old one was going to expire while I was still a law student and it saved me extra trips to the license bureau. If you are still registered in your parent's state or are maintaining a piece of property in another state I would leave everything there because registering a car in MO is a royal pain in the rear. You must get a safety inspection, an environmental inspection, and a certificate from the county auditor saying you don't owe any property taxes (plus you will owe property tax on your vehicle in future years) all from different locations before going to the license bureau for the actual registration.

This is the truth. Just after undergrad I had had to declare residency in MO because I started work in St. Louis. Had to register my car there. It sucked. The property tax was the worst part of it. Do not register your vehicle in MO if you can avoid it. Some states do require you to have a smog check or something to renew your registration though (CA being one of them I believe) so that may be problematic.

Since that car has been long-since junked, I'll be getting a new car. Best believe it's getting registered in IL and I will renew by mail.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:05 pm

camstant wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
publiuspublicola wrote:My new favorite thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=123652

The entire thing is epic. Ignore my OP... I didn't start that thread, but I was given OP power was handed over to me. Someone named seija did asking about a couple of schools. Shitshow ensues.

Yeah right, just transfer already

Sorry brah... you're stuck with me.

motedust

Postby motedust » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:14 pm

When is the Carleton crew moving in?? I'm thinking August 20th and I chose the third story place over the first floor so I'll have to reserve the elevator to move in. I also gotta figure out buying a car and therefore getting a parking spot (which I am assuming will be at the Bank of America).

p.s. also am very excited to play a little tennis, it's been too long.

camstant

Postby camstant » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:19 pm

Another stumbleupon gem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pidokakU4I

I think classes needs to start...

publiuspublicola

Postby publiuspublicola » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:22 pm

fl0w wrote:
rhit2004 wrote:
camstant wrote:

This is the truth. Just after undergrad I had had to declare residency in MO because I started work in St. Louis. Had to register my car there. It sucked. The property tax was the worst part of it. Do not register your vehicle in MO if you can avoid it. Some states do require you to have a smog check or something to renew your registration though (CA being one of them I believe) so that may be problematic.

Since that car has been long-since junked, I'll be getting a new car. Best believe it's getting registered in IL and I will renew by mail.

TITCR. But, if you do end up getting MO plates, you'll have to get a MO license too. Like most other states, if you get pulled over in a car with MO plates but have a license from elsewhere, they will ticket you.

romothesavior wrote:
publiuspublicola wrote:My new favorite thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123652

Oh, I lurked on this thread for a long time. Great stuff.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:12 pm

publiuspublicola wrote:
TITCR. But, if you do end up getting MO plates, you'll have to get a MO license too. Like most other states, if you get pulled over in a car with MO plates but have a license from elsewhere, they will ticket you.

Not completely true. I have a MO license and have been in IL for years driving a car with CA plates. I've never gotten a ticket for that discrepancy. At least that's how it is in IL. I haven't been in that situation in MO.

publiuspublicola

Postby publiuspublicola » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:35 pm

fl0w wrote:
publiuspublicola wrote:

Not completely true. I have a MO license and have been in IL for years driving a car with CA plates. I've never gotten a ticket for that discrepancy. At least that's how it is in IL. I haven't been in that situation in MO.

True, but if your plates are CA and your license is MO, I imagine they just assume you're not a resident of IL and so don't ticket. If you have plates though, you are at the very least paying some IL taxes, and they would then expect you to have an IL driver's license. Fairly sure, at least.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:56 pm

publiuspublicola wrote:
JCougar wrote:It's been a while since I've checked in. I drove from Florida to St. Louis earlier this week, and I found a place in the Central West End. I initially wanted to be in the loop within walking distance of the school, but all the places I looked at in that neighborhood were crummy and dirty. One place was left in such disarray by the previous tenant that there was chicken bones on the carpet and a whole bunch of garbage on the floor. Maybe all the good spots have already been taken.

Anyway, I have since driven out to San Fransisco via Boulder and Salt Lake City. It's my first time in SF. I like it, but it's been the coldest weather I've seen since early March. I'm heading down to LA and San Diego later this week, and then to Austin, TX. See you all in about a month!

I live in Boulder! What did you think?

All I can say is "Wow." The mountains, the girls, the atmosphere...I wish I would have at least applied to law school there.

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:31 pm

Sorry this took so long, tinypic was being weird yesterday. For those who were interested in WUSTL pics:

(These are way bigger than I thought they'd be, but I don't have the energy to go back and redo the tinypic thing, so if someone else wants to save them and resize I'll take these down if you like)

Approaching from East (Forest Park)

Walking in

Some scenery on the way to A-B Hall

Creepy statue

Approaching A-B Hall

Inside

Random Classroom

Foyer (from what I understand the glass dome is new)

Reading room

From the tower

Leaving

jumpropeck

Postby jumpropeck » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:17 pm

Thanks for the pictures. It looks amazing!? I didn't visit any of the schools I applied to. I can't imagine that any of them were much more impressive -- if at all.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:48 pm

Rock Chalk... I didn't know you were going to WUSTL!

Great pictures by the way. And yeah jump, WUSTL is fantastic. I have been on some beautiful law campuses (Michigan and Vandy), and WUSTL still was the best all around.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:49 pm

omg those pictures are awesome.

publiuspublicola

Postby publiuspublicola » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:03 am

JCougar wrote:
publiuspublicola wrote:
JCougar wrote:It's been a while since I've checked in. I drove from Florida to St. Louis earlier this week, and I found a place in the Central West End. I initially wanted to be in the loop within walking distance of the school, but all the places I looked at in that neighborhood were crummy and dirty. One place was left in such disarray by the previous tenant that there was chicken bones on the carpet and a whole bunch of garbage on the floor. Maybe all the good spots have already been taken.

Anyway, I have since driven out to San Fransisco via Boulder and Salt Lake City. It's my first time in SF. I like it, but it's been the coldest weather I've seen since early March. I'm heading down to LA and San Diego later this week, and then to Austin, TX. See you all in about a month!

I live in Boulder! What did you think?

All I can say is "Wow." The mountains, the girls, the atmosphere...I wish I would have at least applied to law school there.

Got into CU, one of the few law buildings newer than Wash U's, but ... only great if you really want to practice and live in Colorado -- not that there is anything wrong with that. But I spent a year of grad school at CU and a year working here and it is great.

Also, as a Mizzou Alum I grit my teeth when I say this, but thank you Rock Chalk. For the pics.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:12 am

That, folks, is a sexy piece of law school. I had nearly forgotten the magnitude of the splendor. So. Excited.

Harry Ballsogna

Postby Harry Ballsogna » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:23 am

I originally ranted about the mandatory health insurance here, but those pics reminded me that I love WUSTL. I'm at least going to wait until we are on a new page before I go off on another tangent :wink:

Thank you for the pictures! Literally the best I have seen posted anywhere on the internet of WUSTL.
Last edited by Harry Ballsogna on Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:29 am

stratocophic wrote:That, folks, is a sexy piece of law school. I had nearly forgotten the magnitude of the splendor. So. Excited.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:13 am

--ImageRemoved--

No, in all seriousness, has anyone found a good place where we can get our grillz done yet? I want the whole top diamonds and the bottom row gold.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:36 am

just purchased my parking permit. you are able to purchase it online and get it mailed to you.

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:05 pm

publiuspublicola wrote:Also, as a Mizzou Alum I grit my teeth when I say this, but thank you Rock Chalk. For the pics.

Lol, you're welcome. Imagine how I feel having to drive past Columbia, MO whenever I visit St. Louis!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”