WUSTL Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
fl0w

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby fl0w » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:23 pm

So for those of you who are bringing macs to school, i just finished installing Windows 7 on my mac and I also installed microsoft office on my windows partition.

I'd just like to say it's working like a dream.

Also, because I know someone that works at microsoft, I was able to get each piece of software for $30 each.

Additional piece of advice, if you by microsoft office student addition, you may want to coordinate with someone to split the cost. It comes with 3 licences.

Finally, I'm exploring Microsoft One Note (comes with microsoft office Student or Ultimate edition) and it looks like a pretty badass program for taking notes so far.

Has anyone found a good comparable program for OS X? If not, I'll be taking notes in windows mode :) I'll stick with OS X for my life and for mixing music and editing videos and stuff for dance projects.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:40 pm

fl0w wrote:Also, because I know someone that works at microsoft, I was able to get each piece of software for $30 each.

Hook a brother up.

Chareth

Postby Chareth » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:41 pm

fl0w wrote:So for those of you who are bringing macs to school, i just finished installing Windows 7 on my mac and I also installed microsoft office on my windows partition.

Also, because I know someone that works at microsoft, I was able to get each piece of software for $30 each.

Additional piece of advice, if you by microsoft office student addition, you may want to coordinate with someone to split the cost. It comes with 3 licences.

Finally, I'm exploring Microsoft One Note (comes with microsoft office Student or Ultimate edition) and it looks like a pretty badass program for taking notes so far.

Has anyone found a good comparable program for OS X? If not, I'll be taking notes in windows mode :) I'll stick with OS X for my life and for mixing music and editing videos and stuff for dance projects.

I am looking to install windows 7 on my mac also. Can I get discounted software from WUSTL? I have used OmniOutliner pro for notes on a mac, but I don't know how that compares to One Note.

myq

Postby myq » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:56 pm

I need to install Windows 7 on my Mac too. I'd be down for splitting it as fl0w suggested if anybody wants.

Also, another thread on TLS about note taking suggested this program for the Mac:http://www.circusponies.com/. I haven't used it and I haven't used OneNote so I have no idea how they compare. I'd prefer to stay in OSX mode as much as possible though.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:59 pm

One note is great but you need to learn how to use it before classes start. the features are incredible though esp with drawing diagrams or any picture for that matter.

i get all my software for free but that's because i work in IT at my company. if anyone needs help with computers i'm the person to ask. if you want to know my credentials you can private message. however i cannot get free software for everyone so do not ask. =)

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:20 pm

fl0w wrote:Additional piece of advice, if you by microsoft office student addition, you may want to coordinate with someone to split the cost. It comes with 3 licences.

Is this legal? If so, I'd be down myq.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:23 pm

I'll try circusponies and compare with OneNote (as I learn how to use it).

Just to clarify, you can split MS Office Student edition, not Windows 7. Windows is 1 license. MS Office is 3 licenses.

There is also this offer from microsoft
http://www.microsoft.com/student/office ... fault.aspx

You can only do this if you have a current version of windows INSTALLED because they are offering the UPGRADE for the discount. But you can get Office Professional Academic for a good discount there as well.

I don't think you can get discounts like this through WUSTL.

I'm a good resource for tech questions as well... computer science degree... but don't abuse me :)
Last edited by fl0w on Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:24 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:
fl0w wrote:Additional piece of advice, if you by microsoft office student addition, you may want to coordinate with someone to split the cost. It comes with 3 licences.

Is this legal? If so, I'd be down myq.

It is legal for MS Office because it is 3 licenses.
It is NOT legal for MS Windows because it is 1 license.

*clarification:
MS Office Home and Student is the edition that is 3 licenses. The other versions of MS Office are single license and you would not legally be allowed to install them on multiple machines.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:33 pm

Actually, I take it back. I'm not going to try circusponies notebook since I already have paid the $30 for MS Office. I'll just learn to use that :lol:

Looks like I'll be doing Law School in Windows and Real Life in OS X.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:09 pm

fl0w wrote:Actually, I take it back. I'm not going to try circusponies notebook since I already have paid the $30 for MS Office. I'll just learn to use that :lol:

i forget where but microsoft gives huge discounts as long as you order it with a .edu email address. it includes windows 7 and office i believe....

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:45 pm

finalaspects wrote:
fl0w wrote:Actually, I take it back. I'm not going to try circusponies notebook since I already have paid the $30 for MS Office. I'll just learn to use that :lol:

i forget where but microsoft gives huge discounts as long as you order it with a .edu email address. it includes windows 7 and office i believe....

Yeah, that's the link that i posted above.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:45 pm

Chareth wrote:Just accepted from the waitlist - An independence day miracle! What have I missed?

Welcome aboard! Very glad to have you.

motedust

Postby motedust » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:04 pm

Done with the housing day, decided on CWE, but I am having a tough time finding an apartment!!! I've stopped by Montclair on the Park (heard not so good things), Parc Frontenac (expensive but leaning towards it), and The Ashley (again, not great reviews). No 1BR avail. at the President/Park Royal, Carleton, Park44 or Del Coronado. But the CWE seems awesome! It's fucking hot walking around. I must say the school is impressive and two metro stops dump you out right at the school.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:10 pm

motedust wrote:Done with the housing day, decided on CWE, but I am having a tough time finding an apartment!!! I've stopped by Montclair on the Park (heard not so good things), Parc Frontenac (expensive but leaning towards it), and The Ashley (again, not great reviews). No 1BR avail. at the President/Park Royal, Carleton, Park44 or Del Coronado. But the CWE seems awesome! It's fucking hot walking around. I must say the school is impressive and two metro stops dump you out right at the school.

Yeah it is hot as hell today.

What are you doing tonight? How many students were at the housing day?

Chareth

Postby Chareth » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:32 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Chareth wrote:Just accepted from the waitlist - An independence day miracle! What have I missed?

Thanks. Do you still have any spots for the Cardinals game? Despite them choking two consecutive times in Denver, I would still love to see them play at Busch stadium.

orangetigerorange

Postby orangetigerorange » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:36 pm

motedust wrote:Done with the housing day, decided on CWE, but I am having a tough time finding an apartment!!! I've stopped by Montclair on the Park (heard not so good things), Parc Frontenac (expensive but leaning towards it), and The Ashley (again, not great reviews). No 1BR avail. at the President/Park Royal, Carleton, Park44 or Del Coronado. But the CWE seems awesome! It's fucking hot walking around. I must say the school is impressive and two metro stops dump you out right at the school.

If you decide to live at Parc Frontenac, see if you can either get them to give you a unit with newer carpet or have them agree to replace the carpet before you move in. For some reason (maybe the beige coloring in a lot of the units?) the carpet seems to get dingy really quickly there.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:49 pm

Chareth wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Thanks. Do you still have any spots for the Cardinals game? Despite them choking two consecutive times in Denver, I would still love to see them play at Busch stadium.

Yes I do, I'll count you in.

And I almost chucked my laptop thru the TV the last two nights. And they're losing again now.

La Grind Date

Postby La Grind Date » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:55 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Chareth wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

And I almost chucked my laptop thru the TV the last two nights. And they're losing again now.

'Ey Romo,

Please, count me in too!

Chareth

Postby Chareth » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:02 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Chareth wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

On the upside, maybe we'll get to see Reyes bat again. Classic.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:05 pm

Are you a Cards fan or something?

motedust

Postby motedust » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:14 pm

romo are you in the area?? I'm here by myself so I don't really have plans haha (everyone at the housing day brought their parents I felt kinda out of the loop there).

Chareth

Postby Chareth » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:16 pm

romothesavior wrote:Are you a Cards fan or something?

I lived in STL when Ozzie and Willie and Vince were playing so there was no way around it.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:19 pm

motedust wrote:romo are you in the area?? I'm here by myself so I don't really have plans haha (everyone at the housing day brought their parents I felt kinda out of the loop there).

I really wish I was, but I'm about 2 hours away. If the Cards were in town I'd get some tix off of StubHub and drive down for the game!

If you are bored, maybe head to the zoo? It is free. Or you could gamble all your money away at the Lumiere. :lol:

Chareth wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Are you a Cards fan or something?

I lived in STL when Ozzie and Willie and Vince were playing so there was no way around it.

Ah... Ozzie is still my all-time favorite Cardinal. I met him when I was like 7 and got his autograph. Loved Willie too, but Vince Coleman was before my time.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:30 pm

fl0w wrote:So for those of you who are bringing macs to school, i just finished installing Windows 7 on my mac and I also installed microsoft office on my windows partition.

you're a CS major and you use macs? what's wrong with you! :P

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:24 pm

finalaspects wrote:

you're a CS major and you use macs? what's wrong with you! :P

I partially use them BEACAUSE i'm a CS major. I learned how crappy windows environments are. Everything I did in college was on unix based operating systems. I only ever compiled on windows if that's where it had to be presented.

Also using windows for all my media needs related to music, videos and dance would be stupid.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”