WUSTL Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
najumobi
Posts: 1111
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:36 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby najumobi » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:23 pm

jks289 wrote:Denied on request to up my SIL award. Hmm, this is going to make for a difficult decision.
if you dont mind telling, what is the decision that you have to make?

User avatar
najumobi
Posts: 1111
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:36 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby najumobi » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:25 pm

just paid my deposit. will be seeing you all in the fall.

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby jks289 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:26 pm

najumobi wrote:
jks289 wrote:Denied on request to up my SIL award. Hmm, this is going to make for a difficult decision.
if you dont mind telling, what is the decision that you have to make?


Same scholarship from BU, which has lower tuition. Boston is better for my husband's work and closer to family, so the financial aspect was what made WUSTL a contender. Now that the only difference is COL, it is a harder choice.

prolyphek
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:59 am

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby prolyphek » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:31 pm

I really liked WUSL, but the fellowship I was rewarded from BU makes it too difficult, even with my waiting to hear about the Weber Society and the Walter Farmer Scholarships my stipend at BU would still be higher.

Have fun everyone and good luck in the fall :D

User avatar
najumobi
Posts: 1111
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:36 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby najumobi » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:32 pm

jks289 wrote:
najumobi wrote:
jks289 wrote:Denied on request to up my SIL award. Hmm, this is going to make for a difficult decision.
if you dont mind telling, what is the decision that you have to make?


Same scholarship from BU, which has lower tuition. Boston is better for my husband's work and closer to family, so the financial aspect was what made WUSTL a contender. Now that the only difference is COL, it is a harder choice.
is the COL the only upside in you going to wustl? their pretty similiar for job prospects. do you think wustl's environment is a better fit for you?

User avatar
jumpropeck
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:19 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby jumpropeck » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:53 pm

najumobi wrote:just paid my deposit. will be seeing you all in the fall.


Congrats man!

User avatar
ec2xs
Posts: 346
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:05 am

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby ec2xs » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:56 pm

jks289 wrote:Denied on request to up my SIL award. Hmm, this is going to make for a difficult decision.

Same here.

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby jks289 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:57 pm

najumobi wrote:
jks289 wrote:
najumobi wrote:
jks289 wrote:Denied on request to up my SIL award. Hmm, this is going to make for a difficult decision.
if you dont mind telling, what is the decision that you have to make?


Same scholarship from BU, which has lower tuition. Boston is better for my husband's work and closer to family, so the financial aspect was what made WUSTL a contender. Now that the only difference is COL, it is a harder choice.
is the COL the only upside in you going to wustl? their pretty similiar for job prospects. do you think wustl's environment is a better fit for you?


I really liked WUSTL ASD. I thought the campus and the city were both great. But in the long term I think we (more as a family than me as an individual) will be better off stuck in the northeast than the midwest, if either school was regionally limiting. I haven't made a final decision by any means, but not getting any more money from WUSTL (I got a pretty small offer to begin with) makes it tough to commit. I'll be able to make a real decision after seeing BU April 9th. Anyone else making the same choice?

User avatar
mazzini
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:16 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby mazzini » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:07 pm

Yes, I am currently struggling with the financial commitment also. My award of 7k/ year is really weak and although it's far better than nothing at all there is still a tremendous amount of debt to consider. I have two schools in the 20's that have offered roughly 1/3-1/2 scholarships. This is my dilemma, but I think in the end I will be at WUSTL.

User avatar
najumobi
Posts: 1111
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:36 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby najumobi » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:11 pm

jumpropeck wrote:
najumobi wrote:just paid my deposit. will be seeing you all in the fall.


Congrats man!
thanks

User avatar
AgentSCo
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:25 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby AgentSCo » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:18 pm

I put down my deposit at WUSTL and look forward to meeting all of you in August!

Mosca
Posts: 251
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:10 am

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby Mosca » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:35 pm

jks289 wrote:I really liked WUSTL ASD. I thought the campus and the city were both great. But in the long term I think we (more as a family than me as an individual) will be better off stuck in the northeast than the midwest, if either school was regionally limiting. I haven't made a final decision by any means, but not getting any more money from WUSTL (I got a pretty small offer to begin with) makes it tough to commit. I'll be able to make a real decision after seeing BU April 9th. Anyone else making the same choice?

I am making the same choice except with BC instead of BU. I will be visiting BC on April 9th, but I am already leaning toward Boston. I was very impressed by WUSTL at the ASD, but I did not like St. Louis. I think the bolded is one of my biggest concerns. I do not want to be stuck in the Midwest, and, despite Spivey's reassurances, that possibility is still there. Also, BC would be about $15k cheaper.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby romothesavior » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:25 pm

@jks and ec2xs:

Did you guys get the email last week saying, "We are optimistic we will be able to offer you more merit money, but we have to wait until after the deposit..." or something to that effect? I know a lot of people on here got it, including myself. I tried not to read too much into it, since I know it was just a form email, but I am very optimistic about getting more since I am above both medians. I even told them I would withdraw from all schools immediately if I got more money (including my Michigan and Georgetown waitlists).

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby romothesavior » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:28 pm

PS. I think its hilarious that Mi-chigan is being replaced by "Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry," because after my visit I told everyone that I thought their law quad looked like Hogwarts. Good stuff.

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby jks289 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:49 pm

romothesavior wrote:@jks and ec2xs:

Did you guys get the email last week saying, "We are optimistic we will be able to offer you more merit money, but we have to wait until after the deposit..." or something to that effect? I know a lot of people on here got it, including myself. I tried not to read too much into it, since I know it was just a form email, but I am very optimistic about getting more since I am above both medians. I even told them I would withdraw from all schools immediately if I got more money (including my Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and Georgetown waitlists).


Yes, I got that email. I wouldn't feel as disappointed now if I hadn't....

User avatar
myq
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:22 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby myq » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:39 am

Wait, did they send you the letter about being optimistic about more merit money in response to an e-mail? Or did it just come out of nowhere? I didn't get it, but didn't ask for more money...yet.

HailtoPitt
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:22 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby HailtoPitt » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:14 am

STA0815 wrote:what's good!

i'm pretty sure that i'll be attending washu. any of you guys coming from dc or pittsburgh?



I'm coming from Pitt undergrad, you from Pittsburgh?

Stephanie13
Posts: 426
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:50 am

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby Stephanie13 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:31 am

Gosh I'm sorry about everyone getting those letters about the SIL awards. They have yet responded to my email to renegotiate but now I am not feeling very optimistic about it. I figured WUSTL would have a lot more money to throw around..

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby romothesavior » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:35 am

Stephanie13 wrote:Gosh I'm sorry about everyone getting those letters about the SIL awards. They have yet responded to my email to renegotiate but now I am not feeling very optimistic about it. I figured WUSTL would have a lot more money to throw around..


+1. I heard tales from last year of people getting more money without even negotiating. I'm not optimistic at this point...

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby jks289 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:36 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Stephanie13 wrote:Gosh I'm sorry about everyone getting those letters about the SIL awards. They have yet responded to my email to renegotiate but now I am not feeling very optimistic about it. I figured WUSTL would have a lot more money to throw around..


+1. I heard tales from last year of people getting more money without even negotiating. I'm not optimistic at this point...


Ha, don't feel pessimistic based on me. I got a lower amount than others with my numbers, so obviously something about my app is just so-so to them.

In response to the earlier question. I sent in a negotiation email March 1st. Then on Monday I sent in a follow up email with my money offer from BU (not included in the first). This week I received the "We are hopeful about increasing aid" email that everyone else got. Then yesterday I got the "No dice" email which referenced March 1st. So I followed up about the later email (asking them to confirm the offer was included in my review) and basically got an "F-off" in return (A very curt, one sentence response).

WUSTL is still in the running for me. But knowing the exact amount I'll need to pay (too close to sticker for comfort) isn't helping my decision. :(

User avatar
nyyankees
Posts: 484
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:50 am

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby nyyankees » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:16 pm

deposited on wednesday, will prob deposit elsewhere as well

User avatar
La Grind Date
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:35 am

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby La Grind Date » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:02 pm

HailtoPitt wrote:
STA0815 wrote:what's good!

i'm pretty sure that i'll be attending washu. any of you guys coming from dc or pittsburgh?



I'm coming from Pitt undergrad, you from Pittsburgh?


yep! i'm from the northside. it's nice to see a pitt alum in this thread! 'ey, we'll obviously have to watch some pitt hoops and football together.

HailtoPitt
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:22 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby HailtoPitt » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:23 pm

STA0815 wrote:
HailtoPitt wrote:
STA0815 wrote:what's good!

i'm pretty sure that i'll be attending washu. any of you guys coming from dc or pittsburgh?



I'm coming from Pitt undergrad, you from Pittsburgh?


yep! i'm from the northside. it's nice to see a pitt alum in this thread! 'ey, we'll obviously have to watch some pitt hoops and football together.


Sounds good if my visit next weekend seals the deal I won't be hard to spot in the fall sportin my Pitt gear at least once a week.

User avatar
camstant
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:59 am

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby camstant » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:57 pm

I actually got two of the "we are hopeful" emails... must have forgot they responded the first time. Whatever the decision is, I just hope I hear back from them soon (hopefully with good news...), but my deposit it down, so I'm sure ill be seeing you all in the fall! I'll also be filling out one of those roommate surveys as soon as it's available. Are other people planning on finding a roommate or living alone?

Stephanie13
Posts: 426
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:50 am

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby Stephanie13 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:26 pm

camstant wrote:I actually got two of the "we are hopeful" emails... must have forgot they responded the first time. Whatever the decision is, I just hope I hear back from them soon (hopefully with good news...), but my deposit it down, so I'm sure ill be seeing you all in the fall! I'll also be filling out one of those roommate surveys as soon as it's available. Are other people planning on finding a roommate or living alone?

How soon after you sent your email did you get the "we are hopeful" email? It's been about a week since I've sent mine and I haven't gotten a response yet... :/




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest