WUSTL Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
jumpropeck

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby jumpropeck » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:24 am

romothesavior wrote:
jumpropeck wrote:Bored. Send me something, WUSTL.

Are you on the waitlist or are you an admit?

Admit.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:25 am

Well then I agree. They are more than welcome to send something. I emailed them earlier in the week regarding orientation schedules and they never responded.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:58 am

well i'll be living on mcpherson guys. anyone else living around there?

panadera

Postby panadera » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:22 pm

romothesavior wrote:Well then I agree. They are more than welcome to send something. I emailed them earlier in the week regarding orientation schedules and they never responded.

Also bored. I have 2 more days until I can officially leave and travel.

I just tried looking at the previous years' orientation schedules to see what this year would be like, and the 2 I saw were so different. No guessing as to the schedule this year.

I was mainly looking at the meals, to be honest. And one year they provided dinners/lunches, and the other it was "lunch on your own." Semi-sad day. I was hoping to get out of bringing a lunchbox... :oops:

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:31 pm

Has everyone filled out the financial aid form and sent it back? Do we also need to be applying for the loans on our own already?

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:36 pm

Stephanie13 wrote:Has everyone filled out the financial aid form and sent it back? Do we also need to be applying for the loans on our own already?

there is another long process after you fill out their 1 page financial aid form. then you need to sign and apply for other things on finaid/fasfa. like promissory notes and loan entrance exams. (all quite easy but a hassle)

i suggest you return that finaid form right away, then they'll send you the info to do the rest. (weird thing was that the deadline for the other process was july 1st - so how would that work for people who turn in their 1 page by july 1st and realize that they have no time to fill out the other process?)

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:47 pm

finalaspects wrote:
Stephanie13 wrote:Has everyone filled out the financial aid form and sent it back? Do we also need to be applying for the loans on our own already?

there is another long process after you fill out their 1 page financial aid form. then you need to sign and apply for other things on finaid/fasfa. like promissory notes and loan entrance exams. (all quite easy but a hassle)

i suggest you return that finaid form right away, then they'll send you the info to do the rest. (weird thing was that the deadline for the other process was july 1st - so how would that work for people who turn in their 1 page by july 1st and realize that they have no time to fill out the other process?)

whoops, I guess I should mail it in soon. I feel like that should be written more clearly if that's what expected of us.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:09 pm

so who else is from CA other than stephanie? i figure the adjustment will quite similar.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:11 pm

romothesavior wrote:Well then I agree. They are more than welcome to send something. I emailed them earlier in the week regarding orientation schedules and they never responded.
i wonder what the purpose is of a week-long orientation.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:13 pm

najumobi wrote:
i wonder what the purpose is of a week-long orientation.

i thought it was just monday? its an all week thing?

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:22 pm

finalaspects wrote:so who else is from CA other than stephanie? i figure the adjustment will quite similar.

I'm actually not from CA, I'm from Texas haha

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:27 pm

Stephanie13 wrote:
finalaspects wrote:so who else is from CA other than stephanie? i figure the adjustment will quite similar.

*gasp*

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:57 pm

finalaspects wrote:
Stephanie13 wrote:

*gasp*

I give off a Cali vibe?! That's cool though, I'd like to live in California someday, preferably San Francisco.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:02 pm

Stephanie13 wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
Stephanie13 wrote:

*gasp*

I give off a Cali vibe?! That's cool though, I'd like to live in California someday, preferably San Francisco.

no i thought i recalled you saying that you'll be coming to CA. maybe undergrad?

motedust

Postby motedust » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:05 pm

I'm from San Diego. I just turned in my financial aid form and also got an e-mail saying that my place of birth was not complete, I had a hard time explaining to the admissions lady that both the country and city was Singapore haha. It's kind of weird to get there a whole week before classes to get orientated. Booze time? I think so.

So I haven't been to visit yet but I'm really thinking about living in CWE around Euclid or something to be close to a bustling kind of area. Does anyone know the effectiveness of the metro/bus to get to school and how often/late it goes? I wanna make sure I can get back and forth since I will not have a car. And I am also assuming CWE is closer to the best/most bars...right?! Plus 850$ for a 1 bedroom including utilities is insane compared to rent here, so stoked.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:09 pm

motedust wrote:I'm from San Diego. I just turned in my financial aid form and also got an e-mail saying that my place of birth was not complete, I had a hard time explaining to the admissions lady that both the country and city was Singapore haha. It's kind of weird to get there a whole week before classes to get orientated. Booze time? I think so.

So I haven't been to visit yet but I'm really thinking about living in CWE around Euclid or something to be close to a bustling kind of area. Does anyone know the effectiveness of the metro/bus to get to school and how often/late it goes? I wanna make sure I can get back and forth since I will not have a car. And I am also assuming CWE is closer to the best/most bars...right?! Plus 850$ for a 1 bedroom including utilities is insane compared to rent here, so stoked.

yea, im sure during that week of orientation we'll be finding all the bars. i thought the bars were in university city? but i never visited either so i might be wrong. CWE is the medical campus so they should have a lot of drinkers on that side. i decided to live just north of the main campus so i can have access to both sides of the city.

motedust

Postby motedust » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:13 pm

finalaspects wrote:
motedust wrote:I'm from San Diego. I just turned in my financial aid form and also got an e-mail saying that my place of birth was not complete, I had a hard time explaining to the admissions lady that both the country and city was Singapore haha. It's kind of weird to get there a whole week before classes to get orientated. Booze time? I think so.

yea, im sure during that week of orientation we'll be finding all the bars. i thought the bars were in university city? but i never visited either so i might be wrong. CWE is the medical campus so they should have a lot of drinkers on that side. i decided to live just north of the main campus so i can have access to both sides of the city.

Is University City the north of campus? I just craigslisted it and a few places on Del Mar Blvd came up that look pretty nice, and super close to campus. It says something about The Loop? Is that the same area? Man I feel clueless haha.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:25 pm

motedust wrote:
finalaspects wrote:

Is University City the north of campus? I just craigslisted it and a few places on Del Mar Blvd came up that look pretty nice, and super close to campus. It says something about The Loop? Is that the same area? Man I feel clueless haha.

the area im talking about doesn't seem to have an "area name" associated with it. Its east of University city, northeast of clayton and west of CWE. Literally the square right above the main campus is where my apt resides. 1 square left of skinker debaliviere (name in google maps). more like a rectangle than a square but im sure you got my point. (the area inbetween the main roads are what im calling squares/rectangle)and i have a car so i plan to drive everywhere including to campus.

if you live near me, you can always grab a ride with me to campus.
Last edited by finalaspects on Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:30 pm

from CWE the metro stops one block from the law building every 30 min. and runs until midnight. i will have a car but from looking at the location it seems like a car really isn't needed. from where i'll be staying in CWE there are like 40 eateries and 5 bars within a 10 min. walk.

motedust

Postby motedust » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:40 pm

najumobi wrote:

from CWE the metro stops one block from the law building every 30 min. and runs until midnight. i will have a car but from looking at the location it seems like a car really isn't needed. from where i'll be staying in CWE there are like 40 eateries and 5 bars within a 10 min. walk.

Ah very cool, thank you.

The housing info on the admitted students site has a lot of reviews saying that University City/The Loop is kinda sketchy (e.g. multiple comments about getting mugged). But man rent does seem much cheaper over there. I think I'm still leaning toward CWE because of this new metro knowledge, and it says that 57 students lived in the area. I don't know about the rest of the 1Ls though and I don't wanna be the only WUSTL Law kid with all the med students around!

edit: grammar

rhit2004

Postby rhit2004 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:41 pm

There are plenty of bars downtown, in the CWE, and the Loop.

If you think you will have really late nights at the law school be advised that there is a free shuttle van to take you home from 7:00 pm - 2:30 am --- however it only has a limited service area.
http://parking.wustl.edu/campus2home.htm

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:43 pm

finalaspects wrote:
Stephanie13 wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
Stephanie13 wrote:I'm actually not from CA, I'm from Texas haha

*gasp*

no i thought i recalled you saying that you'll be coming to CA. maybe undergrad?

Oh nope, I did undergrad in Oklahoma. Maybe you remember me talking about how awesome I think California is and how much I want to live there someday haha.

finalaspects wrote:the area im talking about doesn't seem to have an "area name" associated with it. Its east of University city, northeast of clayton and west of CWE. Literally the square right above the main campus is where my apt resides. 1 square left of skinker debaliviere (name in google maps). more like a rectangle than a square but im sure you got my point. (the area inbetween the main roads are what im calling squares/rectangle)and i have a car so i plan to drive everywhere including to campus.

I think this area is named debaliviere after the street....

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:48 pm

rhit2004 wrote:There are plenty of bars downtown, in the CWE, and the Loop.

If you think you will have really late nights at the law school be advised that there is a free shuttle van to take you home from 7:00 pm - 2:30 am --- however it only has a limited service area.
http://parking.wustl.edu/campus2home.htm

i guess the shuttles do not go to CWE? makes sense since only the medical school is on that side.

motedust

Postby motedust » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:53 pm

If the metro goes a block to the school and until 12 I don't really need a shuttle. I'm not planning on spending super late nights at school maybe till like 8 or 9. I do like studying in a library as opposed to home, keeps me a little more focused. I do however want to be able to walk to restaurants and bars in an urban area. Not to be invasive Najumobi but is the area you're living in around Euclid or Laclede or something? That's the area I'm looking at because of the proximity to the metro by the Hospital, on Scott Ave. Fuck, Google maps is the shit.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:57 pm

motedust wrote:If the metro goes a block to the school and until 12 I don't really need a shuttle. I'm not planning on spending super late nights at school maybe till like 8 or 9. I do like studying in a library as opposed to home, keeps me a little more focused. I do however want to be able to walk to restaurants and bars in an urban area. Not to be invasive Najumobi but is the area you're living in around Euclid or Laclede or something? That's the area I'm looking at because of the proximity to the metro by the Hospital, on Scott Ave. Fuck, Google maps is the shit.
yep

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”