WUSTL Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
panadera

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby panadera » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:58 pm

nowinGA wrote:
sibley wrote:
jumpropeck wrote:Any commits today?

50% yesterday, submitted deposit.

Here's my issue:
I want a major city like NYC/DC/West Coast.
I didn't apply to C.ornell simply because of this reason. If I go to WashU I basically should be going to C.ornell, which is tons closer to my bf and family.

You can't change what you can't change. (Or you can wait one year...) I had no idea I would do as well as I have done this cycle and have places that I wish I would have applied...that are ideal for my interests. But there is nothing I can do about that now. WashU places very well in the east (not the west so much)...go there, commit to doing well, and use their amazing resources and amazing career center to help you get where you want in the end.

Or go to Cardozo and be near the bf, and be happy with it, knowing that having him close was more important than school ranking. That IS an OK choice!]

At this point in the game, don't fret over where you didn't apply, because you cannot change it. Look at your options, and decide what is more important. You have some GREAT choices!

I really agree with this statement. Going farther away might make you miserable. I've been in a long distance relationship with my boyfriend for 2 years, and I chose WUSTL because it was closer than my other options. I also want to work in the area, as does the bf, so that might not help you.

But if you do end up at WUSTL, it will be a pleasure to meet you and everyone else who will be going there in the fall. I'm super stoked.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:09 pm

sibley wrote:

Here's my issue:
I didn't apply to C.ornell simply because of this reason. If I go to WashU I basically should be going to C.ornell, which is tons closer to my bf and family.

St. Louis definitely is not a major city like NYC or Chicago, but it is still much bigger than Ithaca and offers far more than Ithaca does (professional sports teams, big zoo and other amenities, diversity, happening night life, etc.) St. Louis certainly isn't perfect, but it is much closer to a city like Chicago or NYC than it is to a small town like Ithaca.

But I echo what the others said... if you don't think you can be okay with being away from your bf, St. Louis is a big move. Cor-nell is a great school, but I turned it down for similar reasons that you're considering turning down WUSTL (I wanna be in a city and I don't wanna be too far from family and friends).

PS. Are there going to be ANY single 1Ls next year? Jesus Christ... every person on here and practically every person I met at ASD were in committed relationships or going to try the long distance thing.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:10 pm

romothesavior wrote:
sibley wrote:

Here's my issue:

St. Louis definitely is not a major city like NYC or Chicago, but it is still much bigger than Ithaca and offers far more than Ithaca does (professional sports teams, big zoo and other amenities, diversity, happening night life, etc.) St. Louis certainly isn't perfect, but it is much closer to a city like Chicago or NYC than it is to a small town like Ithaca.

But I echo what the others said... if you don't think you can be okay with being away from your bf, St. Louis is a big move. Princeton Law is a great school, but I turned it down for similar reasons that you're considering turning down WUSTL (I wanna be in a city and I don't wanna be too far from family and friends).

PS. Are there going to be ANY single 1Ls next year? Jesus Christ... every person on here and practically every person I met at ASD were in committed relationships or going to try the long distance thing.

lol. we're too afraid to be single... especially in law school. plus, I <3 my bf.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:11 pm

romothesavior wrote:
sibley wrote:

Here's my issue:

But I echo what the others said... if you don't think you can be okay with being away from your bf, St. Louis is a big move. Cor-nell is a great school, but I turned it down for similar reasons that you're considering turning down WUSTL (I wanna be in a city and I don't wanna be too far from family and friends).

Yes, but give 60% of the relationships 2 months into the term max. :wink:
Last edited by jks289 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:12 pm

sibley wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

But I echo what the others said... if you don't think you can be okay with being away from your bf, St. Louis is a big move. Princeton Law is a great school, but I turned it down for similar reasons that you're considering turning down WUSTL (I wanna be in a city and I don't wanna be too far from family and friends).

your attempt at humor is the most laughable thing about your post; sadly, it is not that laughable. we're too afraid to be single... especially in lawl skool. plus, I <3 my bf.

I know, but my god. Chasing women is going to be a tough task for decent looking nice guys like me. Guess that's what undergrads are for.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:13 pm

romothesavior wrote:
sibley wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

your attempt at humor is the most laughable thing about your post; sadly, it is not that laughable. we're too afraid to be single... especially in lawl skool. plus, I <3 my bf.

I know, but my god. Chasing women is going to be a tough task for decent looking nice guys like me. Guess that's what undergrads are for.

Undergrads are boring. You can cruise the med school girls.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:14 pm

jks289 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
sibley wrote:

Here's my issue:

Yes, but give 60% of the relationships 2 months into the term max. :wink:

I'm guessing TITCR. We all remember those people who came to college and were in long distance relationships with their high school sweethearts saying, "I'm sooooo in love! I just love my bf sooo much, we're meant to be!" And then by October, they're broken up and have screwed half the guys in their dorm. I'm guessing 1L year is like this, maybe just a lite version.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:15 pm

jks289 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
sibley wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

+a million. My goal is to find some med school girl and form the ultimate power couple. Wash U has a great med school for that, but I'm still guessing the odds of such a scenario are about the same as finding big law placement ITE. Doable, but its gonna take a lot of hard work. :D

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:17 pm

romothesavior wrote:
sibley wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

haha this makes me sad. I'm single but in all reality, would you really want to date another law school student?

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:17 pm

sibley wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
sibley wrote:

Here's my issue:

having gone to wustl for undergrad and lived there for a year after undergrad, i don't find his post humorous at all. i actually agree with it. StL is no Chicago, but it is a city. It's not like some dinky college town.

Or maybe i'm missing some weird april 1st humor.

Also, there will be plenty of singles, trust me. And many of those that aren't single when they get there will find a way to be fairly soon after they arrive. while hanging out with my best friend a few years back when he was a 1L at wustl i can't tell you the number of involved, engaged, and married women that very easily forget their significant other when they are in a different area code. If you're cool with that, rock on. Otherwise, do your due diligence about someone's "relationship status".

But what can you do if she says they are "on a break"? just gotta take her word for it!

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:17 pm

romothesavior wrote:
jks289 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:[

I'm highly opposed to high school relationships carrying over to undergrad. But I mean... I'm going to be busy the next 3 years. I like my boyfriend. we get along well and he fulfills my needs. his parents have decent amounts of money and he's very motivated to do well in life. his parents have said I can stay with them until I find an apt in nyc if I got to law school there... our values are the same...etc. I want to keep him because 1) I <3 him, 2) of the above, and 3) by the time I get out of law school and get a few years of MEH at firm life done I'll be OLD.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:21 pm

romothesavior wrote:
jks289 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
sibley wrote:your attempt at humor is the most laughable thing about your post; sadly, it is not that laughable. we're too afraid to be single... especially in lawl skool. plus, I <3 my bf.

+a million. My goal is to find some med school girl and form the ultimate power couple. Wash U has a great med school for that, but I'm still guessing the odds of such a scenario are about the same as finding big law placement ITE. Doable, but its gonna take a lot of hard work. :D

Ixnay on the power couple, you need to be gunning for official parasite status. With Mrs. Doctor bringing in that green, what need is there to bill 2000 hours when you could be watching ESPN and trolling 0Ls on TLS?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:22 pm

fl0w wrote:
having gone to wustl for undergrad and lived there for a year after undergrad, i don't find his post humorous at all. i actually agree with it. StL is no Chicago, but it is a city. It's not like some dinky college town.

Or maybe i'm missing some weird april 1st humor.

Also, there will be plenty of singles, trust me. And many of those that aren't single when they get there will find a way to be fairly soon after they arrive. while hanging out with my best friend a few years back when he was a 1L at wustl i can't tell you the number of involved, engaged, and married women that very easily forget their significant other when they are in a different area code. If you're cool with that, rock on. Otherwise, do your due diligence about someone's "relationship status".

But what can you do if she says they are "on a break"? just gotta take her word for it!

I think you are missing some April Fool's humor. The mods on TLS have changed a lot of the commonly used phrases and schools to completely different words. What Sibley typed was L O L, which translates to "i do not find your post humorous at all... yadda yadda." Try typing in "Ya-le" or "Corn-ell" with the hyphens removed, and then hit preview. Pretty funny stuff.

panadera

Postby panadera » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:24 pm

sibley wrote:
I'm highly opposed to high school relationships carrying over to undergrad. But I mean... I'm going to be busy the next 3 years. I like my boyfriend. we get along well and he fulfills my needs. his parents have decent amounts of money and he's very motivated to do well in life. his parents have said I can stay with them until I find an apt in nyc if I got to lawl skool there... our values are the same...etc. I want to keep him because 1) I <3 him, 2) of the above, and 3) by the time I get out of lawl skool and get a few years of MEH at firm life done I'll be OLD.

Oh dear... our relationship carried over from high school... and now its carrying over to law school. Whomp whomp for me. ;)

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:25 pm

panadera wrote:
sibley wrote:
I'm highly opposed to high school relationships carrying over to undergrad. But I mean... I'm going to be busy the next 3 years. I like my boyfriend. we get along well and he fulfills my needs. his parents have decent amounts of money and he's very motivated to do well in life. his parents have said I can stay with them until I find an apt in nyc if I got to lawl skool there... our values are the same...etc. I want to keep him because 1) I <3 him, 2) of the above, and 3) by the time I get out of lawl skool and get a few years of MEH at firm life done I'll be OLD.

Oh dear... our relationship carried over from high school... and now its carrying over to lawl skool. Whomp whomp for me. ;)

same with hannah. and maybe it's okay, but in general it's a really bad idea... I mean how can you experience life away from home if you bring home with you?

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:06 pm

anyone know or know where to find wustl's cost of attendance for 2010-2011?

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:08 pm

romothesavior wrote:I'm guessing TITCR. We all remember those people who came to college and were in long distance relationships with their high school sweethearts saying, "I'm sooooo in love! I just love my bf sooo much, we're meant to be!" And then by October, they're broken up and have screwed half the guys in their dorm. I'm guessing 1L year is like this, maybe just a lite version.
halarious

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:11 pm

fl0w wrote:having gone to wustl for undergrad and lived there for a year after undergrad, i don't find his post humorous at all. i actually agree with it. StL is no Chicago, but it is a city. It's not like some dinky college town.
psssh....college towns are amazing. for undergrad at least...

jumpropeck

Postby jumpropeck » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:13 pm

najumobi wrote:anyone know or know where to find wustl's cost of attendance for 2010-2011?

Tuition Costs and Fees
Tuition for the 2010-11 academic year is $43,420 divided into fall and spring payments. Tuition for the fall semester will be due by August 2010.

Other costs include:

Student Bar Association Fee $50*
Orientation Fee $60*
Mandatory Health Insurance Fee $580*
Parking Pass (optional) $450
Books/Supplies $2,000
Room/Board $12,000
Personal/Misc. $5,000
*represent 2010-11 fees

panadera

Postby panadera » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:15 pm

najumobi wrote:anyone know or know where to find wustl's cost of attendance for 2010-2011?

$63,500. If you've filed the FAFSA for them, they send you your loan aid in an email, and the breakdown of the COA.

Edit: jumpropeck beat me to it...and it a more detailed form.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:16 pm

panadera wrote:

$63,500. If you've filed the FAFSA for them, they send you your loan aid in an email, and the breakdown of the COA.

Edit: jumpropeck beat me to it...and it a more detailed form.

thanks to both of you.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:16 pm

Denied on request to up my SIL award. Hmm, this is going to make for a difficult decision.

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:18 pm

jks289 wrote:Denied on request to up my SIL award. Hmm, this is going to make for a difficult decision.

What was your approach? Were you leveraging other offers? Just curious...sorry it didn't work!

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:19 pm

nowinGA wrote:
jks289 wrote:Denied on request to up my SIL award. Hmm, this is going to make for a difficult decision.

What was your approach? Were you leveraging other offers? Just curious...sorry it didn't work!

and how much was yours?...at least it's got no stips

jks289

Postby jks289 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:28 pm

sibley wrote:
nowinGA wrote:

and how much was yours?...at least it's got no stips

Wrote a polite letter. Initially had no other money offers, just acceptances. But re-sent with my BU offer this week. The email specifically references my March 1st email, so I responded asking to confirm that my second email was taken into consideration. Haven't heard back. SIL was 30K over three years, no stipulations.

Edited to add: Got response that award is final. Very curt. Yeesh, I was relatively happy with my award but the tone of that last email left a bad taste in my mouth. Actually feeling a little negative about the school, which maybe isn't fair since it isn't as if we'll have much contact with financial aid. Still, bad form WUSTL.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”