WUSTL Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
kdw94780
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 10:07 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby kdw94780 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:28 pm

robin600 wrote:
kdw94780 wrote:
motedust wrote:Hello dears. Just stopping by and sayin hello. Just got off the WL on June 7 and put down my deposits earlier today. Pretty stoked I got a 30k scholly too so I am moving to the mid-west haha. Was wondering where you guys were gonna be living? I'm thinking about looking for a place in Central West End and take the bus to school because it seems to be in a more lively downtownish area. Hopefully the public transit/Wash U shuttle bus thing is decent.


Awesomeness! I visited over Memorial Day weekend. I'm going to be visiting again at the end of the month to hopefully sign a lease. My bf and I both liked CWE, Richmond Heights, Clayton, and Dogtown.

What companies are you looking at in dogtown, I'm also interested in that area.



I've looked into Redbrickstl.com, Byron Company, and random ads on padmapper.

I think I'll still check out Byron Company; although, I'm a little wary of them based on some of the reviews on the Housing Survey. Have you found anything different?

User avatar
motedust
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:27 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby motedust » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:31 pm

kdw94780 wrote:
motedust wrote:Hello dears. Just stopping by and sayin hello. Just got off the WL on June 7 and put down my deposits earlier today. Pretty stoked I got a 30k scholly too so I am moving to the mid-west haha. Was wondering where you guys were gonna be living? I'm thinking about looking for a place in Central West End and take the bus to school because it seems to be in a more lively downtownish area. Hopefully the public transit/Wash U shuttle bus thing is decent.


Awesomeness! I visited over Memorial Day weekend. I'm going to be visiting again at the end of the month to hopefully sign a lease. My bf and I both liked CWE, Richmond Heights, Clayton, and Dogtown.


Man I haven't even been out there yet haha, hopefully going sometime next month with my family to check it out. My GF's sister lived in Clayton when she was at WUSTL undergrad, but I hear CWE is closer to bars and restaurants and has a more urban feel and that's definitely what I want (if the shuttle goes late cause I know my home will technically be the library haha).

finalaspects
Posts: 1866
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 am

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby finalaspects » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:38 pm

motedust wrote:
kdw94780 wrote:
motedust wrote:Hello dears. Just stopping by and sayin hello. Just got off the WL on June 7 and put down my deposits earlier today. Pretty stoked I got a 30k scholly too so I am moving to the mid-west haha. Was wondering where you guys were gonna be living? I'm thinking about looking for a place in Central West End and take the bus to school because it seems to be in a more lively downtownish area. Hopefully the public transit/Wash U shuttle bus thing is decent.


Awesomeness! I visited over Memorial Day weekend. I'm going to be visiting again at the end of the month to hopefully sign a lease. My bf and I both liked CWE, Richmond Heights, Clayton, and Dogtown.


Man I haven't even been out there yet haha, hopefully going sometime next month with my family to check it out. My GF's sister lived in Clayton when she was at WUSTL undergrad, but I hear CWE is closer to bars and restaurants and has a more urban feel and that's definitely what I want (if the shuttle goes late cause I know my home will technically be the library haha).


CWS is where all the med students reside. guessing they all need to drink heavily as law students too. maybe even more.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:39 pm

--LinkRemoved--

Just wanted to share this with you guys. I'll be on the lookout for all of you.

User avatar
UF Gators
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:57 am

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby UF Gators » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:49 pm

romothesavior wrote:--LinkRemoved--

Just wanted to share this with you guys. I'll be on the lookout for all of you.

:? Looks like I am the drifter.

User avatar
kdw94780
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 10:07 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby kdw94780 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:53 pm

motedust wrote:
kdw94780 wrote:
motedust wrote:Hello dears. Just stopping by and sayin hello. Just got off the WL on June 7 and put down my deposits earlier today. Pretty stoked I got a 30k scholly too so I am moving to the mid-west haha. Was wondering where you guys were gonna be living? I'm thinking about looking for a place in Central West End and take the bus to school because it seems to be in a more lively downtownish area. Hopefully the public transit/Wash U shuttle bus thing is decent.


Awesomeness! I visited over Memorial Day weekend. I'm going to be visiting again at the end of the month to hopefully sign a lease. My bf and I both liked CWE, Richmond Heights, Clayton, and Dogtown.


Man I haven't even been out there yet haha, hopefully going sometime next month with my family to check it out. My GF's sister lived in Clayton when she was at WUSTL undergrad, but I hear CWE is closer to bars and restaurants and has a more urban feel and that's definitely what I want (if the shuttle goes late cause I know my home will technically be the library haha).


It definitely has an urban feel, which is why I liked it since I've always lived in rural/suburban areas. My bf prefers the other areas because there is more space though. I'm okay with either, but I do want to be close to campus because the area around Wash U is so gorgeous.

User avatar
mazzini
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:16 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby mazzini » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:18 pm

Just got an email indicating that my persistence has paid off. Got a modest increase in my scholly (3k/year). It took a lot of doin'.

User avatar
najumobi
Posts: 1111
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:36 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby najumobi » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:34 pm

mazzini wrote:Just got an email indicating that my persistence has paid off. Got a modest increase in my scholly (3k/year). It took a lot of doin'.
nice. congrats.

User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby robin600 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:22 pm

mazzini wrote:Just got an email indicating that my persistence has paid off. Got a modest increase in my scholly (3k/year). It took a lot of doin'.

Good for you! I'm glad to see that some more requests are panning out for people!
romothesavior wrote:--LinkRemoved--

Just wanted to share this with you guys. I'll be on the lookout for all of you.

Lol! I already want to kill the savant!

User avatar
myq
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:22 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby myq » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:57 am

mazzini wrote:Just got an email indicating that my persistence has paid off. Got a modest increase in my scholly (3k/year). It took a lot of doin'.


Can you expand (through a PM if you'd rather)? I'm a splitter as well.

User avatar
nyyankees
Posts: 484
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:50 am

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby nyyankees » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:13 am

Happy Birthday Romo

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:30 am

nyyankees wrote:Happy Birthday Romo


Haha thanks! Although 22 isn't quite as exciting as 21.

Are you still travelling?

J-tow10
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:24 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby J-tow10 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:22 am

stratocophic wrote:
Harry Ballsogna wrote:
myq wrote:
Harry Ballsogna wrote:Seems like a lot of the good choices for the Central West End are disappearing off craigslist. Maybe I'm just freaking out though? Anyone have specific buildings or agencies they recommend for the CWE area?


Hi, I have never been to St. Louis (so I have never seen any of these buildings). But I did some research online, looked at a lot of review sites, etc. These were some that seemed recommended that I wrote down and maybe you could check out. I looked for studios/one bedrooms though. A few pages back fl0w posted about his search and having actually been to St. Louis his post will be way more useful than mine.

4515 Lindell
Studio $450-550, 1BR $600-700, does not include utilities.
http://leerealtyproperties.com/features/4515_features.html
Tall building. Reviews say age of the building is sometimes a problem but staff is very good. On-street parking. The lady I called said she will have availability.

The Carleton
Studio $750, 1 bedroom more than that
http://www.frontdoorstl.com/?pg=property&pid=4616lindell
This is where I ended up (partly due to fl0w's review). Rent includes utilities and Internet. The inside is new with hardwood floors, stainless steel appliances, central air, washer and dryer in every apartment. Garage parking available. However, my 415 sq. foot studio is very small and, while the building itself got lots of good reviews, people complained about a staff that ignores maintenance requests. Not sure if they'll have availability - they told me my studio was the only one available although I don't know if that's just to scare me into renting immediately.

The President
--LinkRemoved--
Large 1BR $850
Building is old and looks really nice. Rent includes utilities. Garage parking available. When I called, they only had a large 1BR with a mini-office for $850, but said other places including studios might be opening up.

Other places with good reviews that I didn't end up really investigating:
The Chesterfield (--LinkRemoved--)
3949 Lindell (very expensive, --LinkRemoved--)
Del Coronado


Hey thanks! This was a huge help. I just called on the Carleton but it looks like they are totally filled except for a 2-bedroom that runs for $1150 per month. I am bummed because this looked like a great option. Looks like you probably made the right move jumping on the studio that was available.

The FrontdoorSTL lady was actually extremely helpful. Another complex she mentioned was the Looplofts. They are $850 with all utilities included. I am a little suspicious of the area it is in however. http://www.frontdoorstl.com/?pg=propert ... 019skinker I can't find much for reviews, but apparently it isn't an area with a lot of people walking around.

4515 Lindell looks like it might be an option... the pics don't load on the website, but the guy said they should be loaded in the next day or two as they had a photographer come in to take new photos. Biggest downside for me is first floor laundry for $1.25 wash and $1.25 dry. I sincerely loathe having to bring laundry outside my apt/home after dealing with that for 4 years in UG.
The area around Looplofts seems pretty bad. Probably fine if you're going to be driving every day, but not so much if you want to be able to walk to class and feel secure.


After checking out Looplofts online, I thought the units looked really nice (though my definition of "nice" may be different from others since I'll be upgrading from a typical college house with 8 guys). Anyone know if it's a dangerous area to live? The images on Google street view were kind of a turn off.

User avatar
mazzini
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:16 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby mazzini » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:33 am

Anyone know if it's a dangerous area to live? The images on Google street view were kind of a turn off.


I have only visited the area a few times and am going back next week to look at apartments. I will not be viewing apartments in the loop/U City area. I have spoken with several permanent residents of St. Louis, some of which attend Wash U, and was completely disuaded from considering living in U City. Most describe it as a freshman-like party zone. Not something I'm interested in. Also, it's a lot more dangerous of an area than say Dogtown, Clayton, or CWE.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby stratocophic » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:49 am

J-tow10 wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
Harry Ballsogna wrote:
myq wrote:
Hi, I have never been to St. Louis (so I have never seen any of these buildings). But I did some research online, looked at a lot of review sites, etc. These were some that seemed recommended that I wrote down and maybe you could check out. I looked for studios/one bedrooms though. A few pages back fl0w posted about his search and having actually been to St. Louis his post will be way more useful than mine.

4515 Lindell
Studio $450-550, 1BR $600-700, does not include utilities.
http://leerealtyproperties.com/features/4515_features.html
Tall building. Reviews say age of the building is sometimes a problem but staff is very good. On-street parking. The lady I called said she will have availability.

The Carleton
Studio $750, 1 bedroom more than that
http://www.frontdoorstl.com/?pg=property&pid=4616lindell
This is where I ended up (partly due to fl0w's review). Rent includes utilities and Internet. The inside is new with hardwood floors, stainless steel appliances, central air, washer and dryer in every apartment. Garage parking available. However, my 415 sq. foot studio is very small and, while the building itself got lots of good reviews, people complained about a staff that ignores maintenance requests. Not sure if they'll have availability - they told me my studio was the only one available although I don't know if that's just to scare me into renting immediately.

The President
--LinkRemoved--
Large 1BR $850
Building is old and looks really nice. Rent includes utilities. Garage parking available. When I called, they only had a large 1BR with a mini-office for $850, but said other places including studios might be opening up.

Other places with good reviews that I didn't end up really investigating:
The Chesterfield (--LinkRemoved--)
3949 Lindell (very expensive, --LinkRemoved--)
Del Coronado


Hey thanks! This was a huge help. I just called on the Carleton but it looks like they are totally filled except for a 2-bedroom that runs for $1150 per month. I am bummed because this looked like a great option. Looks like you probably made the right move jumping on the studio that was available.

The FrontdoorSTL lady was actually extremely helpful. Another complex she mentioned was the Looplofts. They are $850 with all utilities included. I am a little suspicious of the area it is in however. http://www.frontdoorstl.com/?pg=propert ... 019skinker I can't find much for reviews, but apparently it isn't an area with a lot of people walking around.

4515 Lindell looks like it might be an option... the pics don't load on the website, but the guy said they should be loaded in the next day or two as they had a photographer come in to take new photos. Biggest downside for me is first floor laundry for $1.25 wash and $1.25 dry. I sincerely loathe having to bring laundry outside my apt/home after dealing with that for 4 years in UG.
The area around Looplofts seems pretty bad. Probably fine if you're going to be driving every day, but not so much if you want to be able to walk to class and feel secure.


After checking out Looplofts online, I thought the units looked really nice (though my definition of "nice" may be different from others since I'll be upgrading from a typical college house with 8 guys). Anyone know if it's a dangerous area to live? The images on Google street view were kind of a turn off.
The area's not good. I was a little skeptical when I heard that north of Delmar is a no-go for living, but now that I've driven through the area... I think it'd probably be fine if you wanted to drive to class every day, but I was looking to save on gas/school parking so it was a no go for me, at least. Just too sketchy of a walk. I was sad, because the units look great for the price.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:52 am

stratocophic wrote:
The area's not good. I was a little skeptical when I heard that north of Delmar is a no-go for living, but now that I've driven through the area... I think it'd probably be fine if you wanted to drive to class every day, but I was looking to save on gas/school parking so it was a no go for me, at least. Just too sketchy of a walk. I was sad, because the units look great for the price.


And it would be a really long walk. From my apartment to school is at least 15-20 minutes, and I'm living south of Delmar right off Skinker.
Last edited by romothesavior on Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby JCougar » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:08 am

Wow...those loop lofts are nice. I drove through that area when visiting. It's not the best, but I think I could hack it. I lived in some pretty crummy neighborhoods in Chicago for grad school that were a short ride away from some cool areas and paid less than $400/month in rent, and I don't regret the decision.

User avatar
mazzini
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:16 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby mazzini » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:22 pm

Apparently I deleted the email at some point. If someone could please post the little formula they have for determining our ID/password on the student bulletin board I would appreciate it.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:24 pm

mazzini wrote:Apparently I deleted the email at some point. If someone could please post the little formula they have for determining our ID/password on the student bulletin board I would appreciate it.


I believe it is your email for the ID, and the password is your first and last initial and then your last 4 of your SS number.

John Smith, 123-456-7890 becomes js7890.

I think that's right.

User avatar
NU_Jet55
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby NU_Jet55 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:01 pm

Found an apt! yesssss. Found one basically right across the street from the school through Quadrangle-just got to figure out some minor details, and I'll be done. Feels grrrrreat.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:14 pm

Since quite a few people are going to be in St. Louis in mid-August and it sounds like a lot of people want to do some sort of social gathering, I say we organize a Cardinals game on the 17th or 18th. I was looking on Stub Hub and it looks like there are some decent sized packages (that's what she said) for relatively cheap. We could probably get tickets for $10-15 per person and sit together in the bleachers. They're both night games at 7:15 against the Brewers. Afterwards, I'd say a trip down to Laclede's Landing to the bars or the casino may be in order. :D

I know we still have plenty of time, but I'd like to get a head count so I know about how many tickets we'd need. If you're interested, just respond in the thread or shoot me a PM. I'll see how many people are interested and I'll order the tickets sometime July.

User avatar
NU_Jet55
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby NU_Jet55 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:17 pm

romothesavior wrote:Since quite a few people are going to be in St. Louis in mid-August and it sounds like a lot of people want to do some sort of social gathering, I say we organize a Cardinals game on the 17th or 18th. I was looking on Stub Hub and it looks like there are some decent sized packages (that's what she said) for relatively cheap. We could probably get tickets for $10-15 per person and sit together in the bleachers. They're both night games at 7:15 against the Brewers. Afterwards, I'd say a trip down to Laclede's Landing to the bars or the casino may be in order. :D

I know we still have plenty of time, but I'd like to get a head count so I know about how many tickets we'd need. If you're interested, just respond in the thread or shoot me a PM. I'll see how many people are interested and I'll order the tickets sometime July.


I'm in for 2 tickets and either the casino or the landing sounds awesome.

User avatar
panadera
Posts: 307
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:36 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby panadera » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:20 pm

romothesavior wrote:Since quite a few people are going to be in St. Louis in mid-August and it sounds like a lot of people want to do some sort of social gathering, I say we organize a Cardinals game on the 17th or 18th. I was looking on Stub Hub and it looks like there are some decent sized packages (that's what she said) for relatively cheap. We could probably get tickets for $10-15 per person and sit together in the bleachers. They're both night games at 7:15 against the Brewers. Afterwards, I'd say a trip down to Laclede's Landing to the bars or the casino may be in order. :D

I know we still have plenty of time, but I'd like to get a head count so I know about how many tickets we'd need. If you're interested, just respond in the thread or shoot me a PM. I'll see how many people are interested and I'll order the tickets sometime July.


That sounds so fun! I'm in for 1.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby stratocophic » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:26 pm

Probably up for 1, maybe 2 tickets. I'll know for sure a little closer to the date, but I'm (tentatively) in :P I'm going to have a hard time resisting baseball games... not a good sign for the wallet.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:28 pm

stratocophic wrote:Probably up for 1, maybe 2 tickets. I'll know for sure a little closer to the date, but I'm (tentatively) in :P I'm going to have a hard time resisting baseball games... not a good sign for the wallet.


Oh god you have no idea. Die hard Cardinals fan here. I had to include a line in my budget for next year for Cardinals games (my own money, of course... not WUSTL's :D )




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest