WUSTL Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Stephanie13

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby Stephanie13 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:46 pm

stratocophic wrote:
mazzini wrote:Those who are planning on living alone are you leasing a studio or a 1br? I would rather have a 1 br obviously, but I'm thinking that since I will presumably only spend a limited amount of time at home that I should save a little money and get a studio.

Also, is anyone else here moving early to participate in the Sonnenschein program?
Studio, and I'm moving early to do the program as well. There are some pretty cheap/relatively nice studios within a 10-15 minute walk of campus to the north and west. My thought process was the same in deciding between studio/1BR.

Same here, I'll be there for the program. I'm still trying to decide btwn a studio and 1 bedroom but those sound like pretty good reasons to do a studio... although I like to study at home so it'd be nice to have a place where my desk could be in a different room than where I sleep.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:46 pm

fl0w wrote:
robin600 wrote:
Harry Ballsogna wrote:Seems like a lot of the good choices for the Central West End are disappearing off craigslist. Maybe I'm just freaking out though? Anyone have specific buildings or agencies they recommend for the CWE area?

Frontdoorstl.com seems to be popular but expensive IMO

They really are not that expensive when you consider the fact that the units are all inclusive. The rent includes the monthly bills for heat, electricity, internet, etc. When you factor all that in, a $1k apartment from frontdoor is really about the same cost as an $800 apt elsewhere for which you have to pay all the utilities separately.

That's true, but I'm not spending 800 on rent, that's way too much for me.

I thought the Sonnenschein program was only available to first years?

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:50 pm

robin600 wrote:
fl0w wrote:
robin600 wrote:
Harry Ballsogna wrote:Seems like a lot of the good choices for the Central West End are disappearing off craigslist. Maybe I'm just freaking out though? Anyone have specific buildings or agencies they recommend for the CWE area?

Frontdoorstl.com seems to be popular but expensive IMO

They really are not that expensive when you consider the fact that the units are all inclusive. The rent includes the monthly bills for heat, electricity, internet, etc. When you factor all that in, a $1k apartment from frontdoor is really about the same cost as an $800 apt elsewhere for which you have to pay all the utilities separately.

That's true, but I'm not spending 800 on rent, that's way too much for me.

I thought the Sonnenschein program was onlyavailable to entering first years?

robin600

Postby robin600 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:55 pm

stratocophic wrote:
[/quote]
What is this program then? I can't find information on it, only on their fellowship.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:01 pm

robin600 wrote:
stratocophic wrote:

What is this program then? I can't find information on it, only on their fellowship.

There was an email sent out about it around a month/month and a half ago by someone in the admissions office, it's basically a 0L prep class which is available to at least ostensibly 'socioeconomically disadvantaged' students. The deadline for applying came like 4 days after the email was sent out, but I think they have a WL for the program so I dunno what it would mean for anyone who was accepted late or anything

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:11 pm

anyone get the Thomas F. Eagleton Scholarship email?

panadera

Postby panadera » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:22 pm

finalaspects wrote:anyone get the Thomas F. Eagleton Scholarship email?

Yes, but I'm not a minority student so I won't be applying. You?

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:23 pm

panadera wrote:

Weird I have not. Its a minority scholarship?

panadera

Postby panadera » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:51 pm

Stephanie13 wrote:
panadera wrote:

Well, first it talks about diversity, then it says it's for a deserving minority student. The requirements say the applicants have to demonstrate the ability to promote or enhance diversity in the legal profession. So, maybe?

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:51 pm

Stephanie13 wrote:
panadera wrote:

yea supposed to be for minorities only. do asians count as an minority? obviously they don't for URM.

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:54 pm

finalaspects wrote:
Stephanie13 wrote:
panadera wrote:

yea supposed to be for minorities only. do asians count as an minority? obviously they don't for URM.

Pretty sure they count Asians as a minority.. at least schools always do when they brag about how much diversity they have in terms of minorities.

I'm concerned that I didn't receive this. If only a select few did receive it, then how did they weed out who didn't get the email, LSAT score? GPA?

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:58 pm

Stephanie13 wrote:I'm concerned that I didn't receive this. If only a select few did receive it, then how did they weed out who didn't get the email, LSAT score? GPA?
i doubt they determined who to send the email to based on lsat and gpa. you should call the admissions office and ask.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:59 pm

Stephanie13 wrote:[
I'm concerned that I didn't receive this. If only a select few did receive it, then how did they weed out who didn't get the email, LSAT score? GPA?

i think it might have been based on race, on what box you checked on ethnicity probably.

GPA wise as long as you had a 2.5 or higher in undergrad, you can apply. i wouldn't be worried if i were you, especially if you're not a minority.

panadera

Postby panadera » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:01 pm

finalaspects wrote:

i think it might have been based on race, on what box you checked on ethnicity probably.

GPA wise as long as you had a 2.5 or higher in undergrad, you can apply. i wouldn't be worried if i were you, especially if you're not a minority.

It might have been a very large mass email that is in the wrong folder or something, Stephanie.

I received it, and I'm not a minority. And I checked the correct box on my applications and whatnot.

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:11 pm

Thanks guys, maybe I'll just wait a couple of days to see if it comes in.. I am a minority so I would like the option to apply for this and I don't have anything in my spam folder so I'll probably call if I don't see it soon.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:14 pm

Stephanie13 wrote:Thanks guys, maybe I'll just wait a couple of days to see if it comes in.. I am a minority so I would like the option to apply for this and I don't have anything in my spam folder so I'll probably call if I don't see it soon.

http://www.thompsoncoburn.com/firm/thom ... rship.aspx

try that link.

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:26 pm

finalaspects wrote:
Stephanie13 wrote:Thanks guys, maybe I'll just wait a couple of days to see if it comes in.. I am a minority so I would like the option to apply for this and I don't have anything in my spam folder so I'll probably call if I don't see it soon.

http://www.thompsoncoburn.com/firm/thom ... rship.aspx

try that link.

Oh great thanks so much! Did anyone else see the June 7th deadline for it though? There is an asterisk by it but I didn't find the explanation.

folgers

Postby folgers » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:45 pm

The Thompson Coburn scholarship application deadline has been extended until June 25th. I just received this scholarship information today. Therefore, it is definitely not too late to apply.

Best,

Krystal Orr, Esq.

Director of Admissions and Outreach

That was the follow up email that was after the info about the scholarship, so you can still apply.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:32 pm

finalaspects wrote:

Yup, I got the email too. If it's based on race, I wouldn't apply, if it includes disability then I do. I plan on applying though. Anyone else?

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:51 pm

robin600 wrote:
finalaspects wrote:

Yup, I got the email too. If it's based on race, I wouldn't apply, if it includes disability then I do. I plan on applying though. Anyone else?

im not sure how i can go about getting recommendations. from who they expect it? it states 1 can be from a professor or employer. where's the other one supposed to come from? (i've been out of school for a few years so a professor is not a real option for me)

robin600

Postby robin600 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:04 pm

finalaspects wrote:
robin600 wrote:
finalaspects wrote:

im not sure how i can go about getting recommendations. from who they expect it? it states 1 can be from a professor or employer. where's the other one supposed to come from? (i've been out of school for a few years so a professor is not a real option for me)

I think both can be from professors/employers, i think it's just a poorly worded sentence on the application.

motedust

Postby motedust » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:02 pm

Hello dears. Just stopping by and sayin hello. Just got off the WL on June 7 and put down my deposits earlier today. Pretty stoked I got a 30k scholly too so I am moving to the mid-west haha. Was wondering where you guys were gonna be living? I'm thinking about looking for a place in Central West End and take the bus to school because it seems to be in a more lively downtownish area. Hopefully the public transit/Wash U shuttle bus thing is decent.

kdw94780

Postby kdw94780 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:09 pm

motedust wrote:Hello dears. Just stopping by and sayin hello. Just got off the WL on June 7 and put down my deposits earlier today. Pretty stoked I got a 30k scholly too so I am moving to the mid-west haha. Was wondering where you guys were gonna be living? I'm thinking about looking for a place in Central West End and take the bus to school because it seems to be in a more lively downtownish area. Hopefully the public transit/Wash U shuttle bus thing is decent.

Awesomeness! I visited over Memorial Day weekend. I'm going to be visiting again at the end of the month to hopefully sign a lease. My bf and I both liked CWE, Richmond Heights, Clayton, and Dogtown.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:14 pm

motedust wrote:Hello dears. Just stopping by and sayin hello. Just got off the WL on June 7 and put down my deposits earlier today. Pretty stoked I got a 30k scholly too so I am moving to the mid-west haha. Was wondering where you guys were gonna be living? I'm thinking about looking for a place in Central West End and take the bus to school because it seems to be in a more lively downtownish area. Hopefully the public transit/Wash U shuttle bus thing is decent.

Congrats. Welcome aboard.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:23 pm

kdw94780 wrote:

Awesomeness! I visited over Memorial Day weekend. I'm going to be visiting again at the end of the month to hopefully sign a lease. My bf and I both liked CWE, Richmond Heights, Clayton, and Dogtown.

What companies are you looking at in dogtown, I'm also interested in that area.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”