WUSTL Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
JCougar

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby JCougar » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:17 pm

myq wrote:I sent a short, shameless e-mail to them. I didn't expect to get anything - I have no other scholarships to leverage and I withdrew from all my acceptances. They raised my scholarship by 2k per year. Hey, I'll take it.

What's that bring your total to now?

J-tow10

Postby J-tow10 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:47 pm

Where did everyone send their e-mail to about scholly info? Admissions? Fin. Aid?

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:57 pm

J-tow10 wrote:Where did everyone send their e-mail to about scholly info? Admissions? Fin. Aid?

fin aid will tell you "no money"
admissions will tell you "thanks for your note, we've added it to your file"

I know, I've tried both places.

May I suggest going higher up the ladder?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:02 pm

Fwiw, admissions also told me no money and they couldn't increase it. But that was like 2-3 months ago.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:19 pm

fl0w wrote:
J-tow10 wrote:Where did everyone send their e-mail to about scholly info? Admissions? Fin. Aid?

ha. like?

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:27 pm

najumobi wrote:
fl0w wrote:

ha. like?

:lol: sorry, i was vague there eh?
Dean of admissions?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:28 pm

najumobi wrote:
fl0w wrote:

ha. like?

God?

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:34 pm

fl0w wrote:
najumobi wrote:
fl0w wrote:

ha. like?

:lol: sorry, i was vague there eh?
Dean of admissions?

ah ic.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:36 pm

JCougar wrote:
myq wrote:I sent a short, shameless e-mail to them. I didn't expect to get anything - I have no other scholarships to leverage and I withdrew from all my acceptances. They raised my scholarship by 2k per year. Hey, I'll take it.

JCougar, I didn't recognize you at first with that 'tar. I thought you were a newbie.

Did you make a decision after that thread you made?

2013esq

Postby 2013esq » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:19 pm

najumobi wrote:
2013esq wrote:How are people getting scholarship increases? I already have a pretty big one, but was hoping for more (who isn't?!). I'm a bit reluctant to send my signed financial aid letter back just in case I may be able to get more. I requested an increase and was told no - should I just accept what I have?

were you given a reason why your request was not granted? like did they say something along the lines of "yada yada yada....no more money" ?? if this is true i guess you could ask again since it looks like they have the money now (or at least very recently) to increase scholarships.

Yep...I made a formal request and they just said "Sorry, we're unable to increase your scholarship." That was it. I guess I could try again. Worst thing that could happen: I get another no.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:34 pm

Anybody else planning on staying sane/in shape by getting involved in some intramural sports?

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:55 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:Anybody else planning on staying sane/in shape by getting involved in some intramural sports?

nope. gonna dance!

BTW next week I find out if my crew makes it to the National Hip Hop Dance Championships!

panadera

Postby panadera » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:02 pm

fl0w wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:Anybody else planning on staying sane/in shape by getting involved in some intramural sports?

nope. gonna dance!

BTW next week I find out if my crew makes it to the National Hip Hop Dance Championships!

WHAT!?! That's so cool! Good luck!

I was totally just creeping youtube for dances (mainly the So You Think You Can Dance couples), but now I'm watching some stuff from 2009.

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:21 pm

yes! I wanna do volleyball if anyone else is interested

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:42 pm

romothesavior wrote:
JCougar wrote:

JCougar, I didn't recognize you at first with that 'tar. I thought you were a newbie.

Did you make a decision after that thread you made?

I pretty much made my decision before I made that thread. I just wanted affirmation about my decision. But it looks like there are split camps. I'm not going to withdraw from the Illinois or Minnesota waitlists either until August. I want to see what kind of scholarship money they offer me at least. Illinois has been giving substantially more to splitters this year, and I get reciprocity at Minnesota, which when added to their typical splitter scholarship, could end up being a substantial tuition discount.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:44 pm

I'm in for football, baseball/softball, and dodgeball. But definitely football.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:44 pm

I'd do anything baseball/softball related. I might also continute to take Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu if I can find a good dojo. It's likely nothing will get out law school stress like choking people. :)

publiuspublicola

Postby publiuspublicola » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:41 pm

I'll probably be in for intramural softball and/or flag football. Also plan to get a group together for racquetball -- crazy fun and really great exercise.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:43 pm

I really want a tennis or racquetball partner. I didn't play in high school or college, so I'm not a star or anything like that, but I can keep a good volley going. I mostly want to do it for the fun and the exercise... I remember I lost like 20 pounds in Thailand from playing hours of tennis every day.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:58 pm

romothesavior wrote:I really want a tennis or racquetball partner. I didn't play in high school or college, so I'm not a star or anything like that, but I can keep a good volley going. I mostly want to do it for the fun and the exercise... I remember I lost like 20 pounds in Thailand from playing hours of tennis every day.

I've lost about 18 pounds in the last 3 months. I have a jiu-jitsu tournament in Orlando this weekend, and I want to make it into a lower weight class so I'm not going up against these behemoths that are on steroids like I did last time.

porkbraiser

Postby porkbraiser » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:27 pm

I'll play tennis with your Romo, I played in high school but have been wanting to get back into it ever since

robin600

Postby robin600 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:16 pm

romothesavior wrote:

Can girls play IM football? If there's no rugby I'm down for football! I don't really do ball sports that well though, the whole not seeing very well puts a damper on that aspect. I like to tackle people though :D !

PS- as for scholarships, I'm pretty sure they won't increase your scholarship if you already have a decent chunk of change. It seems like everyone who is denied an increase already has large scholarships. Also you need to email a person directly, not admissions or financial aid, those two accounts don't have the authority to override scholarships and are probably told to say hey there's not a lot more money to give. Just a thought. Also write a thank you after. I seriously think that's what possibly got me my unsolicited increase. I sent a handwritten one.

2013esq

Postby 2013esq » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:25 pm

Anybody do CrossFit?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:28 pm

robin600 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Can girls play IM football? If there's no rugby I'm down for football! I don't really do ball sports that well though, the whole not seeing very well puts a damper on that aspect. I like to tackle people though :D !

PS- as for scholarships, I'm pretty sure they won't increase your scholarship if you already have a decent chunk of change. It seems like everyone who is denied an increase already has large scholarships. Also you need to email a person directly, not admissions or financial aid, those two accounts don't have the authority to override scholarships and are probably told to say hey there's not a lot more money to give. Just a thought. Also write a thank you after. I seriously think that's what possibly got me my unsolicited increase. I sent a handwritten one.

That has been a general observation of mine as well. Not sure what it means though. They may have denied mine because they know who I am and they know I am coming. :D

2013esq

Postby 2013esq » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:37 pm

romothesavior wrote:
robin600 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

That has been a general observation of mine as well. Not sure what it means though. They may have denied mine because they know who I am and they know I am coming. :D

Makes perfect sense. Nice call on the thank you note Robin! I can't imagine that I'd get any increase at this point but I'll probably try anyway.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”