WUSTL Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
camstant

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby camstant » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:49 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Its not bad, its just smart!

So you're okay with the joint royals/cards love? A couple of my friends here have given me crap for it.

I'm down if you're down

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:50 pm

camstant wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Its not bad, its just smart!

Shouldn't you be working right now...

Haha yes I was at work actually. TLS isn't blocked at work, which means my productivity is effectively 0 at work.

Shouldn't you be out knocking on doors and harassing old ladies to fill out their census forms? :D

NU_Jet55 wrote:

So you're okay with the joint royals/cards love? A couple of my friends here have given me crap for it.

I'm okay with it. I think Royals fans care much more about the Cardinals than Cardinals fans care about the Royals. I've been to 4-5 Royals/Cards games in St. Louis, and it seems like the Royals fans try to make it into an actual rivalry.

Cubs/Cards joint love is downright shameful, though.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:51 pm

camstant wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:

I'm down if you're down

I'd say in the interest of a cordial living arrangement next year, it would be wise to do so.

panadera

Postby panadera » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:55 pm

I'm intrigued by baseball. It seems much less complicated (read: better for me) than football.
Not liking/understanding sports in the south is not a good thing.... :oops:

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:56 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:
Stephanie13 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Hook 'em.

haha boooo Romo we'll have none of that here. Unless you actually went to Texas and want to rep for your school, WHICH I don't think is true!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpMdIHgDmCA

Haha wasn't able to click on this earlier at work. One word: awesome.

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:59 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Stephanie13 wrote:
camstant wrote:
Also. Having a good football team >>>>>>>> good baseball team :D

Agreed, I think i'm going to be out of place here but being from Texas, I could not care less about baseball. Football is the biggest king in town here and even though we have the Rangers, I don't know anyone who goes besides to drink and eat and not watch the game.

You are going to be my pet project for the next three years. A reclamation project, of sorts.

ALL of you will be Cardinals fans by 2013!!!

Hahaha we'll see... this could be challenging because I already am extremely biased against baseball (hockey too) BUT I do really like other sorts of sports, e.g. basketball, soccer, volleyball.. so maybe I can be amenable to adding another sport to the list.. btw I also hate golf if that gives you any insight to my personality.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:03 pm

Stephanie13 wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:
Stephanie13 wrote:

haha boooo Romo we'll have none of that here. Unless you actually went to Texas and want to rep for your school, WHICH I don't think is true!

Yes yes yes, I am quite familiar with Boomer Sooner. Probably one of my favorite fight songs in the country (after Michigan, USC, Notre Dame, Ohio State, and of course Illinois.)

Stephanie13 wrote:Hahaha we'll see... this could be challenging because I already am extremely biased against baseball (hockey too) BUT I do really like other sorts of sports, e.g. basketball, soccer, volleyball.. so maybe I can be amenable to adding another sport to the list.. btw I also hate golf if that gives you any insight to my personality.

Well, baseball in St. Louis is sorta like football in Texas. It is the city's religion. The people there bleed red (as you might expect... haha).

La Grind Date

Postby La Grind Date » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:26 pm

Stephanie13 wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:
Stephanie13 wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJU6rf6NbhQ

BIG EAST. Pitt Panthers!

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:24 pm

Stephanie13 wrote: I do really like other sorts of sports, e.g. basketball, soccer, volleyball..

I hope there are as many soccer fans as possible at Wash U. I never played it growing up, but since the '06 world cup and spending time in Central America where I couldn't help but learn about it, I've become a huge fan. World Cup anyone? My breakdown is as follows...
Passionate about:International Soccer, NFL
Casual Fan:College Football,College Basketball
I'll casually follow my preferred team if they make the playoffs:NBA (Thunder), MLB (Royals/Cards)Champion's League (Barca!)...sorry MLS
Wha?:NHL (I did watch the olympics though), Golf, Volleyball, Tennis, etc.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:31 pm

La Grind Date wrote:
BIG EAST. Pitt Panthers!

TITCR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7tyfQu4QJo&feature=related

This video makes me kind of emotional though. The greatest tradition in college sports. I remember watching that game on TV. People were BAWLING. I think I even got a little teared up haha.

expungemalice

Postby expungemalice » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:13 pm

whats the name of the facebook group for our class?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:26 pm

Washington University Law Class of 2013

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:54 am

romothesavior wrote:Washington University Law Class of 2013

hit it!

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:22 pm

nyyankees wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Washington University Law Class of 2013

hit it!

that's what she said.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:15 pm

Time to inject some excitement into this thread via pictures:

The Law Library

--ImageRemoved--

Anheuser-Busch Hall at Dusk

--ImageRemoved--

A-B Hall in the Winter

From the Top of the Steps to Campus

--ImageRemoved--

St. Louis Skyline and Waterfront

Courthouse and Arch

Busch Stadium

--ImageRemoved--

Anheuser-Busch Brewery

panadera

Postby panadera » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:38 pm

romothesavior wrote: pretty pictures

Feeling the excitement now. :D

drbulldog

Postby drbulldog » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:52 pm

Thinking I may join you guys in the fall after getting in off the waitlist last week. Was pretty surprised and excited to get in to WashU. However, I'm still not completely sure its a great idea and am worried about the debt. Crunching the numbers and doing honest math (accounting for yearly tuition hikes estimated at 8%, books, insurance etc), I would be looking at 90K or so in debt. It looks like many on this thread have very large scholarships, so how horrible does this sound to you? Also, can anyone provide details on WashU's LRAP? I also don't have a whole lot in the way of opportunity costs to consider, for whatever its worth. Thanks and maybe I will see you all in the fall.
Last edited by drbulldog on Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

porkbraiser

Postby porkbraiser » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:09 pm

I'm essentially paying sticker too, I think the respect you get outside of Law as a JD is well worth the 180k.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:21 pm

Well, I got my scholarship and I just put my seat deposit down tonight. See you guys in the fall!! As hard as the next three years will be, I'm really looking forward to all the new opportunities that will arise!

Also, fl0w, let me know about your breakdancing class if you end up teaching one. I already know some basic moves such as the 6-step/downrock, and how to flip up onto my feet from my back. I can't do windmills though. No way, no how. I mostly like dancing to Trance, House, and Techno, but breakbeat and hip-hop are fun too. :) Also, I have turntables and two boxes of vinyl. It's mostly House and Trance, but I have some hip-hop. I'm a bit rusty though, and haven't practiced much lately, but I can shake that off in no time. Law school will be stressful, which makes it even more important to get out that stress somehow once or twice a week.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:27 pm

And to all the baseball fans out there: I'm a Tigers fan first and a Brewers fan second. So screw the Cardinals and the Cubs. :wink:

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:36 pm

JCougar wrote:And to all the baseball fans out there: I'm a Tigers fan first and a Brewers fan second. So screw the Cardinals and the Cubs. :wink:

And ESPECIALLY screw the Rams.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:40 am

drbulldog wrote:Thinking I may join you guys in the fall after getting in off the waitlist last week. I had pretty much decided not to go to law school, but was pretty surprised and excited to get in to WashU. However, I'm still not completely sure its a great idea and am worried about the debt. Crunching the numbers and doing honest math (accounting for yearly tuition hikes estimated at 8%, books, insurance etc), I would be looking at 90K or so in debt. It looks like many on this thread have very large scholarships, so how horrible does this sound to you? Also, can anyone provide details on WashU's LRAP? I also don't have a whole lot in the way of opportunity costs to consider, for whatever its worth. Thanks and maybe I will see you all in the fall.

just a bit of honesty for you... even with a 114k scholarship, i'll still have around 80k of debt after school is done. That's just how the world is.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:50 am

fl0w wrote:
drbulldog wrote:Thinking I may join you guys in the fall after getting in off the waitlist last week. I had pretty much decided not to go to law school, but was pretty surprised and excited to get in to WashU. However, I'm still not completely sure its a great idea and am worried about the debt. Crunching the numbers and doing honest math (accounting for yearly tuition hikes estimated at 8%, books, insurance etc), I would be looking at 90K or so in debt. It looks like many on this thread have very large scholarships, so how horrible does this sound to you? Also, can anyone provide details on WashU's LRAP? I also don't have a whole lot in the way of opportunity costs to consider, for whatever its worth. Thanks and maybe I will see you all in the fall.

just a bit of honesty for you... even with a 114k scholarship, i'll still have around 80k of debt after school is done. That's just how the world is.

Really? Factoring in my 25k/year scholarship and my saved funds from this summer, I'm looking at about 31-32k of debt this year. I'm thinking I'll be about 100k in debt or a little more after 3 years.

But yeah, drbulldog... do you want to be a lawyer? That is really the first question you have to ask yourself. If the answer is no, then definitely do not go to law school. Next, ask yourself where you want to practice. Do you want to practice/are you okay with practicing in the Midwest? If no, then WUSTL is probably not the school for you. If yes, then you have a tough decision to make. Do you wait a few years? Do you retake the LSAT? Or do you take the plunge now?

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:41 am

romothesavior wrote:
fl0w wrote:

Really? Factoring in my 25k/year scholarship and my saved funds from this summer, I'm looking at about 31-32k of debt this year. I'm thinking I'll be about 100k in debt or a little more after 3 years.

Yes, really. I shall break it down @ a high level for you.

Total Need
Tuition 43,420
Fees 1k
Books and Supplies 2k
Other 5k
Room and Board: about 24k

Total Aid
38k scholly
$26k loans

Need (about 75k) vs Aid awarded (about 65k) actually puts me about 10k short per year.
fl0w, why is your cost of living SO HIGH!??!? To understand that, you need to understand that fl0w has been a grown man for some time now and owns a lake view condo in chicago. He has to keep paying his mortgage while in school because he doesn't want to sell now and risk taking a loss on his investment.

Note that he has factored in the fact that he will be leasing his place. Otherwise cost of living would be even higher.

fl0w, why do you only have 26k in loans if there is still a 10k gap in coverage of your costs? Well, being that fl0w has built his career over the past 5yrs, that's all that he qualified for in loans. The FAFSA system is stupid and doesn't realize that I won't have a job during school.

All in all it puts me at about 80k of debt after school, still having to pay some out of pocket. Amazing how a different situation can change things significantly. All of a sudden 114k doesn't seem like that much, even though it really IS that much.

I've made EXTREMELY detailed spreadsheets to make sure I have everything budgeted correctly. While aid will likely incrase in year 2 and 3, this is the hand I've been dealt. While I am extremely grateful, it is amazing how hard it still is with such a large scholarship.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:47 am

Gotcha... makes sense. I guess being 22 with no assets or property comes in handy sometimes haha. Either way, law school is a lot of money for the majority of people.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”