WUSTL Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
panadera

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby panadera » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:48 pm

HAMBONE wrote:rising 2L here. Let me know if you guys have any questions about the school, housing etc. I will try to answer them while i still have time before work starts next week. congrats and welcome to WUSTL

My questions are kind of weird. And not legit like romo's.

1. Is there a refrigerator in the building for students to use?
2. During the winter months, would it be unbearable to walk to the law building from the bus stop? (More unbearable than walking from the parking garage, I mean.)
3. How big are the lockers?

Thanks for taking questions. Happy summer. :)

HAMBONE

Postby HAMBONE » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:13 pm

romothesavior wrote:
HAMBONE wrote:rising 2L here. Let me know if you guys have any questions about the school, housing etc. I will try to answer them while i still have time before work starts next week. congrats and welcome to WUSTL

I'll make it quick. Thanks for taking questions!!!

1. Job prospects. What are they like? Are the rising 3LS in killself mode, or are most pretty satisfied?
2. How does the OCI list for this year? Any thoughts on how OCI will go? Better/same/worse than this past fall?
3. Any recommendations on things to do in St. Louis?

Job prospects are obviously not as good as it has been in the recent past. Looking at whatever little data i was able to get, it seems a lot of graduates are joining small to mid-size firms (but top 10% are still pulling 160K jobs) The rising 3Ls i am friends with seem satisfied with their summer placement but at the same time i got the feeling that there is a sizable group of people who struck out at OCI and had to settle for shit firms. Again this is all anecdotal data which should be read with a huge grain of salt. Dean Spivey and the CSO in general are really great in helping you get a job. My mentor got his 2l summer job through a professor. I was able to get my summer job because of my mentor's help in networking.

For 1L summer, most of my classmates were able to find employment to their liking. Most of the 1Ls are doing some sort of non-profit legal work, but there are about 20-25 that are getting paid (a couple of them even got the 2900/week job). Although there were only 14 firms that came to the Spring 1L OCI, the CSO held other job fairs etc. which helped people find employment for the summer.

We won't have the OCI list available until June 21st, so I am not certain how many firms are coming. Although from talking to Dean Spivey I got the impression that it is much better than last year.

There are a lot of things to do in St. Louis for relatively cheap. I went to a lot of Blues/Cardinals games last year. The loop, which is only a few blocks from the school, is great for drinks/food etc. Forest park has a shit load of stuff going on throughout the year. The law school holds bar reviews every thursday night (generally a good turnout at these events) and happy hours every friday at 4:30. There is a decent music scene but i didn't get a whole lot of time to get into that. There is enough to do here that you would not get bored or run out of things to do. If you like BBQ everyone here swears by Pappys (personally not a big fan)

HAMBONE

Postby HAMBONE » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:25 pm

blurbz wrote:

Thanks for doing this!

Can you talk a little bit about the atmosphere at the law school? How do students get along with each other? With faculty? The administration?

No problem.

I love the atmosphere at the law school. All the students are very friendly and are willing to help each other out. I haven't heard of anyone ripping off pages form library books yet, so thats good news. People care about their grades and work hard and most are fun to hang out with. The faculty is very approachable and are genuinely excited to talk to students about the material covered or even your career plans. I played basketball all year with my contracts professor and am taking his game theory seminar along with another class with him next year. Most of the professors had a potluck dinner at some time during the semester which were a lot of fun.

HAMBONE

Postby HAMBONE » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:30 pm

panadera wrote:

My questions are kind of weird. And not legit like romo's.

1. Is there a refrigerator in the building for students to use?
2. During the winter months, would it be unbearable to walk to the law building from the bus stop? (More unbearable than walking from the parking garage, I mean.)
3. How big are the lockers?

Thanks for taking questions. Happy summer. :)

There is a refrigerator by the vending machines on the third floor.

The winter here was relatively mild (i am from chicago so that might have something to do with it) Walking from the bus stop should be no trouble other than maybe a couple of days when its bitter cold.

The lockers are just like the ones in high school (half length)

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:32 pm

myq wrote:Just signed a lease for a studio in the Carleton. We're gonna be neighbors flow - you should get a commission from frontdoor.

actually... they might do this. Send them my name and say i referred you. I'll PM the details.

redsMVP

Postby redsMVP » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:31 pm

Just checking...
Is the link to the "new Bulletin Board site" referenced in the recent emails from admissions not working for anyone else?

Look forward to meeting everyone

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:57 am

FFFWI: (For Fellow Future Wustler's Info:) If you're amenable to going through WUSTL's housing company (Quadrangle) and looking for a cost-effective, walkable, relatively nice option, ask about Castlereagh. Units are as nice as anything I found at places like Fairmont/Monticello/Barron Realty, and it's all inclusive for <$700. I may still inquire about the Carleton (thanks Fl0w, unfortunately I missed this thread while I was hunting for places the last 2 days :( ), but I think it's the best combo of close/cheap/safe (police station and fire stations are less than a block away)/well-located (next to the Loop and by extension par-tay) I've found thus far.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:21 am

Just admitted off the hold list a few minutes ago!!!

Does anyone on here know when they let you know about scholarship info?

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:24 am

fl0w wrote:
JCougar wrote:Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get scholarship info?

congrats bud! i know a lot of people were pulling for you.

I was admitted March 22nd.
I got scholly info March 25th.

Dunno if it will take longer because of 2nd deposit just passing and all.

Since you posted it twice, I decided to follow suit.

Congrats again! :lol:

J-tow10

Postby J-tow10 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:27 am

JCougar wrote:Just admitted off the hold list a few minutes ago!!!

Congratulations JCougar! 8)

See you in August

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:32 am

CONGRATS!!!

Seriously that is awesome! We were all pulling for you! I had a feeling you'd be getting an acceptance sooner or later. Welcome to the crew!

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:37 am

Thanx all!

I was scoping out the apartment scene two days ago. I think I want to be close to campus my first year, so I probably want to live in the loop. I really liked Soulard, though. Maybe 2L or 3L I can get a place there and commute.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:38 am

JCougar wrote:Thanx all!

I was scoping out the apartment scene two days ago. I think I want to be close to campus my first year, so I probably want to live in the loop. I really liked Soulard, though. Maybe 2L or 3L I can get a place there and commute.

Congratulations! I'm extremely happy for you!

I just want to get answers to my scholarship questions so I can make an informed decision of my own!

But again, congratulations. You deserve it.

La Grind Date

Postby La Grind Date » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:46 am

Congrats, JCoug!

I'm happy for you. And I am happy that WashU will have you as a passionate supporter!

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:02 am

personally, and this is just me, i wanted to find a place where i could be happy for 3yrs. I don't like the idea of moving again during law school.

mazzini

Postby mazzini » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:05 am

Does anyone know how late in the process one is able to defer? I have paid my second deposit but there is one potential situation that may prevent me from being able to attend this year. Also, I may not even be able to attend at all so is it possible to withdraw very late in the process? Thanks.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:10 am

mazzini wrote:Does anyone know how late in the process one is able to defer? I have paid my second deposit but there is one potential situation that may prevent me from being able to attend this year. Also, I may not even be able to attend at all so is it possible to withdraw very late in the process? Thanks.

I would just call up the admissions office. Earlier they were offering to maintain your scholarship if you deferred to next year. I don't know if they're still doing that or not.

As far as withdrawing, you can do that any time up until you pay tuition, I believe. Hope you can attend anyway, though.

panadera

Postby panadera » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:31 am

Aww congrats Jcougar! I didn't follow the applicant thread very closely, but whenever I popped in there I saw you. I'm so glad you got in!

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:04 pm

stratocophic wrote:FFFWI: (For Fellow Future Wustler's Info:) If you're amenable to going through WUSTL's housing company (Quadrangle) and looking for a cost-effective, walkable, relatively nice option, ask about Castlereagh. Units are as nice as anything I found at places like Fairmont/Monticello/Barron Realty, and it's all inclusive for <$700.

Do you have pictures/know where I can find more info online?

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:07 pm

So, still no news on the Webster for you guys? This seems REALLY late since they initially said late March.

myq

Postby myq » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:32 pm

Congratulations! I'd been pulling for you to get in. Am I wrong or are you a Gator as well? I got my scholarship info about two weeks after being accepted.

karmakmsa

Postby karmakmsa » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:48 pm

Hey myq, I'm a gator! Class of 2009...but graduated Dec. 2008.

And now WUSTL class of 2013!

ta06fsu

Postby ta06fsu » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:51 am

Happy for ya JCougar! Seminoles rock, boo gators. Sorry had to say somethin lol.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:02 am

ta06fsu wrote:Happy for ya JCougar! Seminoles rock, boo gators. Sorry had to say somethin lol.
it too hate the gators (no offense, jcougar)....not a seminole but a tarheel.

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:36 am

myq wrote:Nyyankees, are you a splitter? I'm a splitter thinking about sending a scholarship increase request in, but it seems like they're focusing on high GPA people...I guess it can't hurt anyway.

i actually sent a scholly increase request about two months ago before the first seat deposit which they rejected. This one I didnt really request they just sent me an email, maybe im born with it, maybe its maybelline haha

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”