WUSTL Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
fl0w

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby fl0w » Fri May 28, 2010 12:18 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:
fl0w wrote:I actually recently was contacted about a job teaching hip hop dance classes in st. louis.

I'd take that class. I can even help teach it. I can pop it, lock it, and occasionally even drop it. Also, my leg is very-I believe this is the correct vernacular-"stanky." Watch out, yo.

lol...but seriously, that's awesome man. You'll definitely have to break out some moves during our obligatory nights on the town to stay sane.

The bolded part above is pure win. :lol:
I'll def. let people know if I end up teaching a class somewhere!

rhit2004

Postby rhit2004 » Fri May 28, 2010 1:48 pm

About half the current law students (maybe even more) use Mac laptops in class. I don't know any students that have had problems that were specifically related to them using a Mac. You do have to have a full version of Windows installed (not Bootcamp) for the exam software.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Fri May 28, 2010 2:01 pm

rhit2004 wrote:About half the current law students (maybe even more) use Mac laptops in class. I don't know any students that have had problems that were specifically related to them using a Mac. You do have to have a full version of Windows installed (not Bootcamp) for the exam software.

bootcamp is what allows you to install a full version of windows. did you mean to say "not parallels" ?

rhit2004

Postby rhit2004 » Fri May 28, 2010 2:25 pm

fl0w wrote:
rhit2004 wrote:About half the current law students (maybe even more) use Mac laptops in class. I don't know any students that have had problems that were specifically related to them using a Mac. You do have to have a full version of Windows installed (not Bootcamp) for the exam software.

bootcamp is what allows you to install a full version of windows. did you mean to say "not parallels" ?

Yes ... the ones that let you sort of emulate Windows and run Windows programs without actually having Windows installed is what I meant to say won't work.

Short story: you need a full version of Windows,

karmakmsa

Postby karmakmsa » Sat May 29, 2010 10:02 pm

Hey, has everyone figured out their living situation for next year in STL?

I've been abroad for my cycle and still haven't had the chance to visit. I'm much more concerned about having a 1L roommate or two than where exactly I'm living.

Considering going to the housing days on July 8, which is 4 days after I come back to the states. Think this is the best way to find roommates? Or is it not worth the trip?

I did fill out the WUSTL roommate form on their website but lost the link to the listings, heh. Anyone have the link?

Thanks, see you guys in the fall! Also, anyone need a roommate? :D

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat May 29, 2010 11:37 pm

karmakmsa wrote:Hey, has everyone figured out their living situation for next year in STL?

I've been abroad for my cycle and still haven't had the chance to visit. I'm much more concerned about having a 1L roommate or two than where exactly I'm living.

Considering going to the housing days on July 8, which is 4 days after I come back to the states. Think this is the best way to find roommates? Or is it not worth the trip?

I did fill out the WUSTL roommate form on their website but lost the link to the listings, heh. Anyone have the link?

Thanks, see you guys in the fall! Also, anyone need a roommate? :D

I would do the housing day, if you can. It will give you a better knowledge of the neighborhoods surrounding the school and I'm sure you'll meet some people there as well. I wish I could go, but I've got to work on both days.

Also, check out the Facebook group for the Class of 2013. I found my roommate via Facebook and I think there is also a roommate finder thread on there. Facebook is nice because it lets you check out their profile a little bit to get a "feel" for them. My roommate seems like a pretty good guy (at least that's what I'm letting him think... he posts on here once in a while so I can't tell you what I really think of him :D) . And we found a great place and are in the process of signing the lease, so my housing situation is all set for next fall.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Sun May 30, 2010 10:59 am

romothesavior wrote:
robin600 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:But at least I know someone will finish below me in the curve... No person who prefers Macs could possibly possess solid reasoning skills. :D

10 bucks says you'll call me for notes when your PC crashes two weeks before finals!

No, because I'm gonna tape all classes and keep all the tapes in a big repository for future use. Just like a true gunner would.

How's the apartment search going?

LOL amazing! Gonna keep em in a lock box too?

Apartment search is going good. Going down for the housing day in June, anyone else?

myq

Postby myq » Sun May 30, 2010 5:00 pm

I asked earlier about a building called The Carleton...now I'm between that and President and Park Royal. Anybody been there? I'm abroad and can't go to St. Louis to look myself. I'm between those two.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun May 30, 2010 5:16 pm

myq wrote:I asked earlier about a building called The Carleton...now I'm between that and President and Park Royal. Anybody been there? I'm abroad and can't go to St. Louis to look myself. I'm between those two.

Sorry... can't help ya there. I'm more familiar with neighborhoods than I am with specific buildings. But did you look at the housing info on the admitted student's board? There were some testimonials from kids who lived in various neighborhoods and buildings.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Mon May 31, 2010 8:10 am

romothesavior wrote:
myq wrote:I asked earlier about a building called The Carleton...now I'm between that and President and Park Royal. Anybody been there? I'm abroad and can't go to St. Louis to look myself. I'm between those two.

Sorry... can't help ya there. I'm more familiar with neighborhoods than I am with specific buildings. But did you look at the housing info on the admitted student's board? There were some testimonials from kids who lived in various neighborhoods and buildings.

The Carleton
http://www.frontdoorstl.com/?pg=propert ... 616lindell

I just snagged a one bedroom unit in there this weekend. It's pretty pimp and the rent includes all everything except paring and cable TV which is nice.

I'm set w/ a place to live! I guess this is really happening. I also got to hang out w/ a couple friends while in St. Louis this weekend. Had dinner at Bar Italia and drinks at some bar (Bar Maryland or something?) that was just off the same street in the CWE there.

While I was in StL I stayed at the Indigo hotel (formerly Best Western). It's a nice hotel for about 137/night including taxes.

I looked at places in Debalivier (sp?) area, The Grove, Central West End, and Clayton. Impressions:

Debaliver:
Nice area. Plenty of street parking so you wouldn't have to pay for a parking spot. A little isolated from things like places to eat and places to go grab a drink, so you'd definitely have to drive anywhere you wanted to go. The place I looked at was nice. Was 5330 Pershing if I remember correctly. This was my second choice. I would have taken it if the rent were a little cheaper because once I added in all the utilities it was the same as the unit in the Carleton.

The Grove:
Place I saw was managed by Frontdoorstl.com It was a nice place. Not huge, but newly renovated with modern appliances, hardwood floors, central air etc. The thing that completely turned me off was the neighborhood. I felt like I was in a slum. The Grove is apparently "up and coming" but it clearly has not "come up" quite yet. It is also a little farther from campus that I wanted to be. The rent could not be beat though. A unit that nice for about $650 is a great deal if you don't mind the other things that I mentioned.

Clayton:
Obviously clayton is a nice neighborhood. The unit I looked at was being renovated and is about 2 weeks from being completed. I looked at the unit next door to it because it is finished and looks the same as the one in-progress will look like when completed. Most everything about this unit was great. It is going to be a 2 bedroom. Basic layout was a little more closed than I would like. You had your livingroom and then a long hallway attached to it. Off of that hallway was the kitchen on the left, then a bedroom on the right, then the other bedroom at the end. Bathroom on the left just before the bedroom. I just don't like apartments that have long hallways leading to things. Seems like a waste of open space to me. Again though, all the appliances were new, central air, etc. The only thing that did not look new was the back door. A lot of apartments in St. Louis have this, and I don't know why, but the back door goes directly to a fire escape. And the back door never looks very secure. I remember whenever someone got robbed in undergrad it was because someone just walked up the fire escape and broke into the back door. I wanted to stay away from units w/ backdoors like that.

Central West End (saw 2 units):
Unit 1 (The Leonardo)
The management company is owned by a guy that went to wustl undergrad. He's like 25 or something. Very nice guy and actually seemed to know everyone in the building that we saw on our way up to the place. I did not like this place though. The carpeting looked gross. The appliances were not updated. I could not understand why rent was $800 for this place. Some of you may see it and love it, but I just wasn't buying it. He claimed the unit had been renovated. I would hate to have seen it pre-renovation. The building is right next to a walgreens and across the street from a Schnuk's. When we walked up (20 min walk from Indigo Hotel) up I recognized the area from undergrad. This is what everyone used to call "ghetto schnuks". It's technically part of CWE but it's the east edge of it and it's not the same CWE that you are probably thinking of.

Unit 2 (The Carleton)
Obviously I'll have the most positive to say about this place because it's the one I went with. I'll start with the negative. The rent is about 1k. But it includes everything except cable TV and a parking spot. That means electric, internet and all the other utilities. With that being said, it actually ends up being the same cost as a place that's listed at $800 and doesn't include those things. Basic cable and internet can run you around $120 in St. Louis and if all appliances are electric and you have central air, your electric bill can hover around $60 at peak and $40 at non-peak. Anyway, I walk in and the place is renovated. Large living area that opens into the kitchen (I love open spaces). Kitchen has all new stainless steel appliances (very important to me). Hardwood floors, lots of light through the windows. Only negative about the floorplan is that the bedroom is like a master suite. This is really cool except if you have company they will see your bedroom when using your bathroom. I guess it's just incentive for me to keep my room clean :lol: There is a workout facility in the basement, and parking available for around $50/mo. You pretty much have to get a parking space with this one because of the location. There is virtually no street parking in that area that I am currently aware of.

So that's the run down of everything I looked at. Personally I don't want to live in a dingy apartment. After owning a lake view condo in chicago for the past 2 years I've become accustomed to living in a nice place and wanted to emulate that as much as possible in St. Louis. I'm 27 and I just can't take things like shaggy carpet, non-modern kitchens, non-updated appliances, etc. My requirements won't be like those of everyone else. You can certainly find a cheaper place than mine in St. Louis. Instead of just grabbing the cheapest place, I decided to pay for what was important for me in a home because it will be just that for 3 years. I don't want to change apartments while in school.

That's my report. I wont be able to make it to housing days or anything like that, so I just made a quick overnight trip there. Drove from Chicago. I chose to live alone just because I'm past the point in my life where I want to deal with the drama that comes with roommates :lol:

HopeThisHelps

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Mon May 31, 2010 11:55 am

Awesome report flow; I'm looking into some of these same places, and this definitely helps a ton.

myq

Postby myq » Mon May 31, 2010 12:20 pm

Wow, thanks a lot fl0w. Really selling me on the Carleton...just not sure if 415 square feet is too small. I'm looking at a studio.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Mon May 31, 2010 12:23 pm

myq wrote:Wow, thanks a lot fl0w. Really selling me on the Carleton...just not sure if 415 square feet is too small. I'm looking at a studio.

The one i got in the Carleton is a one bedroom. I personally don't like studio apartments. I like to have my bed separate from the living space. Plus if you ever have anyone over, it's nice to not have them walk immediately into your bedroom.

For everyone else, no problem on the report! My pleasure to help out. I know it's not easy to look for a place, especially when you don't live in the destination city (in fact, i obviously know from experience).

Let me know if y'all have any other questions.
Last edited by fl0w on Mon May 31, 2010 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justdoit2410

Postby justdoit2410 » Mon May 31, 2010 4:03 pm

Thanks for the report flow. It is very helpful.

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Mon May 31, 2010 6:13 pm

Woah, finally put down my second deposit. This is beginning to feel more real.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon May 31, 2010 6:28 pm

Stephanie13 wrote:Woah, finally put down my second deposit. This is beginning to feel more real.

+1, I just did it this morning. Really crazy.

Okay, story time...

I was cleaning and moving out of my room down at my undergrad the other day, and I found a piece of paper stuffed under a bunch of crap in my desk. I pulled it out to see what it was. It was a list of schools that I had compiled about a year ago to this day, back when I was studying for the June LSAT. Based on my PT scores (159-163), I wrote down a list of schools that I would apply to and categorized them by "Easy to get into," "Hard to get into," and "Near impossible to get into." Most of my target schools were lower Tier 2 or Tier 3 schools, mostly schools that I never even applied to. Guess what school was at the top of my list at #1? That's right... Washington University in St. Louis, with a "Near impossible to get into" tag next to the name. Well I got a 162 on my June LSAT, busted my ass studying until September, and got a 168 on my September re-take... and the rest is history. I went from thinking WUSTL was a near impossibility a year ago, and here I am today posting in this thread with my second deposit placed.

I'm glad I found this piece of paper, because it reminds me of all the hard work I put in to get to this point, and it makes me even more appreciative of this wonderful opportunity we are all getting this fall. A year ago, I never would have thought I would be accepted at my dream school, Washington University, especially with a big scholarship. I am really thankful to TLS for all the help this site has given me throughout my LSAT studying and the admissions process, and I am really excited to be starting this law school experience in the fall.

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Mon May 31, 2010 6:49 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Stephanie13 wrote:Woah, finally put down my second deposit. This is beginning to feel more real.

+1, I just did it this morning. Really crazy.

Okay, story time...

I was cleaning and moving out of my room down at my undergrad the other day, and I found a piece of paper stuffed under a bunch of crap in my desk. I pulled it out to see what it was. It was a list of schools that I had compiled about a year ago to this day, back when I was studying for the June LSAT. Based on my PT scores (159-163), I wrote down a list of schools that I would apply to and categorized them by "Easy to get into," "Hard to get into," and "Near impossible to get into." Most of my target schools were lower Tier 2 or Tier 3 schools, mostly schools that I never even applied to. Guess what school was at the top of my list at #1? That's right... Washington University in St. Louis, with a "Near impossible to get into" tag next to the name. Well I got a 162 on my June LSAT, busted my ass studying until September, and got a 168 on my September re-take... and the rest is history. I went from thinking WUSTL was a near impossibility a year ago, and here I am today posting in this thread with my second deposit placed.

I'm glad I found this piece of paper, because it reminds me of all the hard work I put in to get to this point, and it makes me even more appreciative of this wonderful opportunity we are all getting this fall. A year ago, I never would have thought I would be accepted at my dream school, Washington University, especially with a big scholarship. I am really thankful to TLS for all the help this site has given me throughout my LSAT studying and the admissions process, and I am really excited to be starting this law school experience in the fall.

:) What a heart warming story, thanks for that!

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Mon May 31, 2010 7:57 pm

romothesavior wrote:Okay, story time...

I always think back to my junior year in HIGH SCHOOL. I had done well and one day was called down to the guidance councilor's office. She said, "[redacted, i almost totally outed myself :lol: although i'm sure some of you have already figured out who I am], you're a very good student. Have you thought about where you might go to college?"

I hadn't. Had not even considered it. My dad, a Liberian immigrant, broke our family when I was three and was jailed from when i was 5-17. Then deported. My mom had always been proud of me but never pressured me to do anything. Just wanted me to be happy. So I asked her one day, "Mom, they say I could probably go to a good school. If I wanted to go to college, what school could I go to? I mean... how much money do we have saved?"

Her reply, "I was going to let God handle that."

Of course, I took that as my queue to bust my @$$ looking for scholarships :lol:
But I went from being someone that hadn't even thought about college @ 17 to now being the first member of my family to obtain (assuming I get out of WULS alive, haha) a post-graduate degree. and at almost a full ride to boot.

Perspective is an amazing thing. It changes so much over time. Now I'm 27 and thinking about how I want to save the world 20-30 years down the line.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon May 31, 2010 8:04 pm

Great story, fl0w. I'll also be one of the first people in my very large extended family to get a post-grad degree, and I'll be the first to get a law degree. It is a really cool feeling. It looks like you've really overcome a lot in your life and I'm glad you'll be down there at WUSTL this year.

And thanks for the great posts about apartments. I've already found mine, but your perspective on "All things St. Louis" is always appreciated.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Mon May 31, 2010 8:29 pm

romothesavior wrote:Great story, fl0w. I'll also be one of the first people in my very large extended family to get a post-grad degree, and I'll be the first to get a law degree. It is a really cool feeling. It looks like you've really overcome a lot in your life and I'm glad you'll be down there at WUSTL this year.

And thanks for the great posts about apartments. I've already found mine, but your perspective on "All things St. Louis" is always appreciated.

It'll be a great journey for everyone!
And man... it's the tippy tip of the iceberg in terms of my story.
:idea: We'll have to get a beer (read: lots of beers) during orientation and I can tell you all about it.

La Grind Date

Postby La Grind Date » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:34 am

Now that the 2nd deposit deadline has passed, I just want to say . . . I love you guys.

Jk. but, i am very excited about meeting all of you in august!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:41 am

La Grind Date wrote:Now that the 2nd deposit deadline has passed, I just want to say . . . I love you guys.

Jk. but, i am very excited about meeting all of you in august!

+1. I'm feelin the love in this thread. We'll have to get together before school starts for a few beers and some grub. We'll be the "cool kids clique" in the fall.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:45 am

hey guys,

I'm going through a final numbers crunch and have a question. Since the people that disburse loans don't seem to give a f$#* that I own a condo and will have to continue to make payments on that in addition to paying rent in St. Louis, I have about a $10k gap in coverage of my predicted expenses over the year.

Is anyone familiar with the process in getting GradPlus loan award increased?

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:51 am

fl0w wrote:hey guys,

I'm going through a final numbers crunch and have a question. Since the people that disburse loans don't seem to give a f$#* that I own a condo and will have to continue to make payments on that in addition to paying rent in St. Louis, I have about a $10k gap in coverage of my predicted expenses over the year.

I'm no expert so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that gradplus loans only cover "up to the cost of attendance," and since your condo doesn't fall under that category you won't be able to get gradplus loans that cover that expense. From what I understand though, depending on your credit, private loans are relatively easy to come by.

Are you trying to sell/rent out your condo and have been unsuccessful, or do you want to maintain two separate residences during 1L?

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:00 am

NU_Jet55 wrote:
fl0w wrote:hey guys,

I'm no expert so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that gradplus loans only cover "up to the cost of attendance," and since your condo doesn't fall under that category you won't be able to get gradplus loans that cover that expense. From what I understand though, depending on your credit, private loans are relatively easy to come by.

Are you trying to sell/rent out your condo and have been unsuccessful, or do you want to maintain two separate residences during 1L?

I plan on leasing my condo to a tenant, however it will cover P&I but not taxes + association fees. Any idea on the typical interest rates of private loans for education? Do you just walk into Bank of America (or something similar) for that?

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”