WUSTL Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
kdw94780

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby kdw94780 » Wed May 26, 2010 6:38 pm

romothesavior wrote:I am really surprised at the people who aren't going to have a car. Driving in St. Louis is incredibly easy. There are no tollways, few traffic jams, and no real "rush hour" to worry about, especially in the area surrounding WUSTL. You can hop on the interstate and quickly get downtown or anywhere else in the city. And as fl0w said, hailing a cab is not a piece of cake in St. Louis. Unless you are downtown near the stadium or Laclede's landing, or perhaps around the loop and Forest Park, you will have to call one. Plus I think I allocated $20 a week for gas for my car, whereas a couple of cab rides will cost way more than that. I think having a car may actually be cheaper than not having one.

I'm not trying to talk you guys into taking a car; I'm just pointing out that I think it is objectively easier to get around STL with one. Individual preferences and situations may vary, but you should perhaps think about some of these things. Saint Louis is nothing like Chicago, D.C., NYC, etc., and driving isn't bad at all.

It's been over a decade since I lived in St. Louis. I currently live in the KCMO area, and it is my understanding that only the really really really really poor people or people under 18 don't have cars. I know StL has the metro, while KCMO just has buses. I think not having a car is doable but would be incredibly annoying.

publiuspublicola

Postby publiuspublicola » Wed May 26, 2010 7:58 pm

kdw94780 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I am really surprised at the people who aren't going to have a car. Driving in St. Louis is incredibly easy. There are no tollways, few traffic jams, and no real "rush hour" to worry about, especially in the area surrounding WUSTL. You can hop on the interstate and quickly get downtown or anywhere else in the city. And as fl0w said, hailing a cab is not a piece of cake in St. Louis. Unless you are downtown near the stadium or Laclede's landing, or perhaps around the loop and Forest Park, you will have to call one. Plus I think I allocated $20 a week for gas for my car, whereas a couple of cab rides will cost way more than that. I think having a car may actually be cheaper than not having one.

I'm not trying to talk you guys into taking a car; I'm just pointing out that I think it is objectively easier to get around STL with one. Individual preferences and situations may vary, but you should perhaps think about some of these things. Saint Louis is nothing like Chicago, D.C., NYC, etc., and driving isn't bad at all.

It's been over a decade since I lived in St. Louis. I currently live in the KCMO area, and it is my understanding that only the really really really really poor people or people under 18 don't have cars. I know StL has the metro, while KCMO just has buses. I think not having a car is doable but would be incredibly annoying.

All the more reason to ride a bike! A good way to change old stereotypes. I grew up in KCMO, and so did my wife, and we will likely end up there again some day, and I fully plan to ride once I get there.

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Wed May 26, 2010 8:35 pm

So where does everybody want to work after law school? Do most of you have midwest ties?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed May 26, 2010 9:43 pm

ec2xs wrote:So where does everybody want to work after law school? Do most of you have midwest ties?

1. St. Louis
2. Yes, born and raised in Illinois.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed May 26, 2010 10:03 pm

ec2xs wrote:So where does everybody want to work after law school? Do most of you have midwest ties?

1. St. Louis/Nashville/Atlanta/NY?/DC?
2. Sort of, but WUSTL was my best offer so they didn't really play into my decision. Maybe they'll help in convincing employers that I want to stay in town though :?

panadera

Postby panadera » Thu May 27, 2010 3:56 am

The midwest. Probably Oklahoma. But any job around here works for me. I took the school that gave me the best scholarship, and thankfully- it's in the area where I want to work. My family is all over the midwest and I really didn't want to go too far from them.

What about you, ec?

kdw94780

Postby kdw94780 » Thu May 27, 2010 12:20 pm

1. Midwest or Rockies
2. Lived 99% of my life in MO, KS, and S. Illinois.

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Thu May 27, 2010 12:28 pm

panadera wrote:

The midwest. Probably Oklahoma. But any job around here works for me. I took the school that gave me the best scholarship, and thankfully- it's in the area where I want to work. My family is all over the midwest and I really didn't want to go too far from them.

What about you, ec?

I don't have any midwest ties, but I want to practice in Texas or Chicago.

2013esq

Postby 2013esq » Thu May 27, 2010 1:28 pm

panadera wrote:

What about you, ec?

Me too. I haven't spent any time in the Midwest but have heard it's really nice. I'm from CA and went to college on the east coast. I'm a little nervous about being land-locked since I can get to the ocean in 10 minutes but WashU is a great school and gave me a great scholarship. Still not sure where I want to practice but don't think I'll mind being in STL for a while. Eventually would like to live abroad I think.

justdoit2410

Postby justdoit2410 » Thu May 27, 2010 6:45 pm

Does anybody know what the winters are like in St. Louis. Is there a lot of snowfall?

robin600

Postby robin600 » Thu May 27, 2010 10:58 pm

Anybody going to the housing day on the 17th of June. I'm starting to freak out that I don't have housing, and I'd really like to pay $550 or less! AHHHH!!!
justdoit2410 wrote:Does anybody know what the winters are like in St. Louis. Is there a lot of snowfall?

It's the midwest, bring a nice winter coat and scarf.

1. DC/Nashville TN/ Ashville NC (great non-profit community)/Chi-town
2. Unfortunately just ties to the state of Michigan for the midwest. And when I graduate law school I'm getting the hell out of Michigan.

Another thing. What is everyone doing about the whole PC thing. I know WUSTL requires windows but I hate PCs and I want to buy a new Mac. possible?

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Thu May 27, 2010 11:06 pm

robin600 wrote:Another thing. What is everyone doing about the whole PC thing. I know WUSTL requires windows but I hate PCs and I want to buy a new Mac. possible?

Totally possible. Macs can run Windows just fine, but you'll have to pony up for the software since it doesn't come pre-installed.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu May 27, 2010 11:07 pm

robin600 wrote:Anybody going to the housing day on the 17th of June. I'm starting to freak out that I don't have housing, and I'd really like to pay $550 or less! AHHHH!!!
justdoit2410 wrote:Does anybody know what the winters are like in St. Louis. Is there a lot of snowfall?

2. Unfortunately just ties to the state of Michigan for the midwest. And when I graduate law school I'm getting the hell out of Michigan.

Another thing. What is everyone doing about the whole PC thing. I know WUSTL requires windows but I hate PCs and I want to buy a new Mac. possible?

Supposedly Macs are possible, but it takes some more work on the student's part to make sure it meets the requirements. You'll have to get Windows on your system, and the IT department may not be *as* good at helping you as they would with a PC. I'm not a techie, but that's just what I've heard.

But at least I know someone will finish below me in the curve... No person who prefers Macs could possibly possess solid reasoning skills. :D

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu May 27, 2010 11:10 pm

As for the weather... it is the Midwest. You will get all four seasons in full force. Hot and HUMID summers and cold and snowy winters. And everything in between. It isn't quite like Chicago and we'll get less snow, but it will snow (often heavily) and it will get cold.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Thu May 27, 2010 11:34 pm

romothesavior wrote:But at least I know someone will finish below me in the curve... No person who prefers Macs could possibly possess solid reasoning skills. :D

10 bucks says you'll call me for notes when your PC crashes two weeks before finals!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu May 27, 2010 11:54 pm

robin600 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:But at least I know someone will finish below me in the curve... No person who prefers Macs could possibly possess solid reasoning skills. :D

10 bucks says you'll call me for notes when your PC crashes two weeks before finals!

No, because I'm gonna tape all classes and keep all the tapes in a big repository for future use. Just like a true gunner would.

How's the apartment search going?

justdoit2410

Postby justdoit2410 » Fri May 28, 2010 5:32 am

Thanks for the info about the winters. I figured it would be cold. I was trying to gauge the amount of snowfall. Originally from Central New York so I am no stranger to cold and snow.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Fri May 28, 2010 9:35 am

romothesavior wrote:
robin600 wrote:Anybody going to the housing day on the 17th of June. I'm starting to freak out that I don't have housing, and I'd really like to pay $550 or less! AHHHH!!!

Supposedly Macs are possible, but it takes some more work on the student's part to make sure it meets the requirements. You'll have to get Windows on your system, and the IT department may not be *as* good at helping you as they would with a PC. I'm not a techie, but that's just what I've heard.

But at least I know someone will finish below me in the curve... No person who prefers Macs could possibly possess solid reasoning skills. :D

I feel like I'm repeating myself, but here goes.
In undergrad (at WUSTL) I worked in the Student Technology and Resource Support (STaRS, har har) group. What we did is support all computer related issued of students at the university. During my time there we had a core group that was extremely well versed in Mac support. Having issues with your mac did not mean that nobody would help you. You just had to find the right people. I bet the Law School IT wouldn't help you, but they would be the wrong people to talk to.

All you need to do is install windows on your mac. The exam software is going to be provided right? You don't need to have any other programs in all honesty.

I'm a computer science major and have been using macs for... 6 or 7 years now? If you want to use a mac you'll be able to. If you prefer a PC, well duh, that will work too. Personally, I'm bringing a mac.

J-tow10

Postby J-tow10 » Fri May 28, 2010 9:48 am

romothesavior wrote:

Hey now, don't hate on Macs :D . Robin600, I just bought a Mac this past fall and love it. I would never go back to a PC.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Fri May 28, 2010 10:45 am

fl0w wrote:I feel like I'm repeating myself, but here goes.
In undergrad (at WUSTL) I worked in the Student Technology and Resource Support (STaRS, har har) group. What we did is support all computer related issued of students at the university. During my time there we had a core group that was extremely well versed in Mac support. Having issues with your mac did not mean that nobody would help you. You just had to find the right people. I bet the Law School IT wouldn't help you, but they would be the wrong people to talk to.

All you need to do is install windows on your mac. The exam software is going to be provided right? You don't need to have any other programs in all honesty.

I'm a computer science major and have been using macs for... 6 or 7 years now? If you want to use a mac you'll be able to. If you prefer a PC, well duh, that will work too. Personally, I'm bringing a mac.

Macintosh should give you commission. I'm pretty sure this post was the final push I needed to be convinced to fork over the dough for the 13" Macbook Pro.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Fri May 28, 2010 11:05 am

NU_Jet55 wrote:

Macintosh should give you commission. I'm pretty sure this post was the final push I needed to be convinced to fork over the dough for the 13" Macbook Pro.

I'd gladly accept it. anything to reduce the debt!
I actually recently was contacted about a job teaching hip hop dance classes in st. louis. the only thing i worry about is how much time that would take... otherwise i'd jump on it. The money from teaching dance could effectively reduce my rent by half every month.

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Fri May 28, 2010 11:18 am

kdw94780 wrote:

oh also, i know a wustl law grad who said he got pulled over a handful of times while he was in stl, then mentioned he was a law student and as a part of "professional courtesy" they let him go. Im a fan

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Fri May 28, 2010 11:22 am

fl0w wrote:I actually recently was contacted about a job teaching hip hop dance classes in st. louis.

I'd take that class. I can even help teach it. I can pop it, lock it, and occasionally even drop it. Also, my leg is very-I believe this is the correct vernacular-"stanky." Watch out, yo.

lol...but seriously, that's awesome man. You'll definitely have to break out some moves during our obligatory nights on the town to stay sane.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri May 28, 2010 11:23 am

fl0w wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:

I'd gladly accept it. anything to reduce the debt!
I actually recently was contacted about a job teaching hip hop dance classes in st. louis. the only thing i worry about is how much time that would take... otherwise i'd jump on it. The money from teaching dance could effectively reduce my rent by half every month.

I will pay you for personal lessons. I need to learn some sick dance moves.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Fri May 28, 2010 11:49 am

nyyankees wrote:
kdw94780 wrote:

oh also, i know a wustl law grad who said he got pulled over a handful of times while he was in stl, then mentioned he was a law student and as a part of "professional courtesy" they let him go. Im a fan
:shock: I'm going to wear ankle weights on my right ankle all summer in preparation for our newfound... "privileges". I'll have a pair of aviators on and my iPod looping "Speed Kills" every time I set foot in the car.
Or I would if I didn't drive a 10-year old economy car :x

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”