WUSTL Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
mbaino

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby mbaino » Fri May 21, 2010 5:49 pm

romothesavior wrote:And as for this little age poll, where are all the undergrads at in this thread? Seriously... am I gonna be the baby of the class?

I am 22, officially out of undergrad this morning!

mbaino

Postby mbaino » Fri May 21, 2010 5:49 pm

Does the Webster Society even exist?

jks289

Postby jks289 » Fri May 21, 2010 5:58 pm

Sadly leaving this thread, and freeing up a spot and some $$. Good luck, everyone!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri May 21, 2010 7:34 pm

jks289 wrote:Sadly leaving this thread, and freeing up a spot and some $$. Good luck, everyone!

Saw that on my news feed... I was sad to see you're leaving us but best of luck to you.

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Fri May 21, 2010 10:33 pm

jks289 wrote:Sadly leaving this thread, and freeing up a spot and some $$. Good luck, everyone!

Sorry I haven't been following along, where you headed?

camstant

Postby camstant » Sat May 22, 2010 2:37 am

NU_Jet55 wrote:Does anybody know if we'll be getting offered any "special laptop deals" in the next month or two or should I just buy one now?

Not sure about anything directly from the school, but I know a lot of specials/discounts tend to come out on or around holidays. I think I'm going to order one next weekend in light of Memorial Day--a woman at lenovo said they would be coming out with some coupon then that would be worth waiting for. They also have pretty good student discounts if anyone else was thinking getting one from them.

J-tow10

Postby J-tow10 » Sat May 22, 2010 2:52 pm

So where are people thinking about living next year? I've started looking online, but it's hard to narrow your search on most websites to certain neighborhoods. After reading a WUSTL thread from back in 2008, it looks like most of the natives from St. Louis recommended The Loop, Clayton, and CWE.

What is the area between campus and CWE like?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat May 22, 2010 3:01 pm

J-tow10 wrote:So where are people thinking about living next year? I've started looking online, but it's hard to narrow your search on most websites to certain neighborhoods. After reading a WUSTL thread from back in 2008, it looks like most of the natives from St. Louis recommended The Loop, Clayton, and CWE.

I sent this as a Facebook message to someone in this thread, but I'll post it here as well to just offer my insight.

I'm no expert on St. Louis, but I have been down there a few dozen times and I was apartment hunting in the area earlier this week. I'm not as familiar with STL as the current WUSTL students or natives, but I am more familiar than most. It might help if you pull up a map (or pull up Padmapper... that's a really great site for finding apartments based on location) and follow along with me as I give a quick rundown of the neighborhoods.

I strongly, strongly recommend the Demun area (south of campus, west of Forest Park). It is full of really beautiful old houses and apartment complexes. Quite possibly the nicest neighborhood in all of St. Louis, or at least in my opinion. It would be a quick drive to get to campus and maybe a 15-20 minute walk.

I also think the area north of campus but south of Delmar is pretty nice (that is where I'll be living, I found a place on Rosedale). The neighborhoods directly north of campus can be a little more hit or miss, and sometimes a little rougher from what I have heard, but I found an apartment on the east side of Skinker right up near Delmar that is pretty nice. West of campus is also very nice (like the Forsyth/Pershing area) and would be a very quick walk to the law building, since it is on the west end of campus.

If you want to be a little farther from campus, Central West End is okay (that's on the other side of Forest Park) or you could head down Clayton Road towards the Clayton neighborhoods a bit.

I would steer clear of University City, as far as I can tell. UCity is pretty much the Delmar loop west of Skinker. It seems to be pretty loud and can attract a somewhat unsavory crowd. I'm not saying it is a terrible neighborhood or anything like that, but I do think there are better places to live around Wash U.

Here are a couple of links for some good rental companies in STL:
http://www.cronincompany.net/
http://www.barronrealty.com/

And I used Padmapper almost exclusively to find apartments in the area. I’m a big fan of it.

2013esq

Postby 2013esq » Sat May 22, 2010 3:49 pm

Wow, seems like I'm the oldest one so far at 28 (will turn 29 during first semester). All you fresh-out-of-undergrad babies can come to my place for a good home cooked meal. Can't wait to meet everyone!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat May 22, 2010 4:02 pm

2013esq wrote:Wow, seems like I'm the oldest one so far at 28 (will turn 29 during first semester). All you fresh-out-of-undergrad babies can come to my place for a good home cooked meal. Can't wait to meet everyone!

I'll be there. Just tell me where and when. :D

panadera

Postby panadera » Sat May 22, 2010 4:20 pm

romothesavior wrote:
2013esq wrote:Wow, seems like I'm the oldest one so far at 28 (will turn 29 during first semester). All you fresh-out-of-undergrad babies can come to my place for a good home cooked meal. Can't wait to meet everyone!

I'll be there. Just tell me where and when. :D

Likewise. I can bring dessert!

J-tow10

Postby J-tow10 » Sat May 22, 2010 4:23 pm

romothesavior wrote:
J-tow10 wrote:So where are people thinking about living next year? I've started looking online, but it's hard to narrow your search on most websites to certain neighborhoods. After reading a WUSTL thread from back in 2008, it looks like most of the natives from St. Louis recommended The Loop, Clayton, and CWE.

I sent this as a Facebook message to someone in this thread, but I'll post it here as well to just offer my insight.

I'm no expert on St. Louis, but I have been down there a few dozen times and I was apartment hunting in the area earlier this week. I'm not as familiar with STL as the current WUSTL students or natives, but I am more familiar than most. It might help if you pull up a map (or pull up Padmapper... that's a really great site for finding apartments based on location) and follow along with me as I give a quick rundown of the neighborhoods.

I strongly, strongly recommend the Demun area (south of campus, west of Forest Park). It is full of really beautiful old houses and apartment complexes. Quite possibly the nicest neighborhood in all of St. Louis, or at least in my opinion. It would be a quick drive to get to campus and maybe a 15-20 minute walk.

I also think the area north of campus but south of Delmar is pretty nice (that is where I'll be living, I found a place on Rosedale). The neighborhoods directly north of campus can be a little more hit or miss, and sometimes a little rougher from what I have heard, but I found an apartment on the east side of Skinker right up near Delmar that is pretty nice. West of campus is also very nice (like the Forsyth/Pershing area) and would be a very quick walk to the law building, since it is on the west end of campus.

If you want to be a little farther from campus, Central West End is okay (that's on the other side of Forest Park) or you could head down Clayton Road towards the Clayton neighborhoods a bit.

I would steer clear of University City, as far as I can tell. UCity is pretty much the Delmar loop west of Skinker. It seems to be pretty loud and can attract a somewhat unsavory crowd. I'm not saying it is a terrible neighborhood or anything like that, but I do think there are better places to live around Wash U.

Here are a couple of links for some good rental companies in STL:
http://www.cronincompany.net/
http://www.barronrealty.com/

And I used Padmapper almost exclusively to find apartments in the area. I’m a big fan of it.

Thanks for the info! I'll have to check out Padmapper.

mazzini

Postby mazzini » Sat May 22, 2010 4:46 pm

Wow, I feel a little old now. I'm turning 24 in June

J-tow10

Postby J-tow10 » Sat May 22, 2010 4:56 pm

Also, 22

La Grind Date

Postby La Grind Date » Sat May 22, 2010 5:16 pm

sup washu fam,

i'm 22, but will be 23 when school starts.

& 2013esq, i'm going to hit up your spot for that food--right after panera tells me not to come back!

publiuspublicola

Postby publiuspublicola » Sat May 22, 2010 10:29 pm

I went to school in Columbia, MO and know a lot of St. Louis people. We (wife & I) like CWE a lot, but lately have been looking a lot at the Shaw neighborhood, which is supposed to be -great- w/ lower rents than Clayton or CWE.

(I'm 27.)

dvd

Postby dvd » Sat May 22, 2010 10:30 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jdstl

Postby jdstl » Sat May 22, 2010 10:31 pm

I grew up in St. Louis and still live here in the summers (about to start senior year of undergrad). Let me know if any out of towners have any questions about the city.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun May 23, 2010 11:49 am

dvd wrote:you can find me in St. Louie
Where the gun play ring all day (nanana)
Some got jobs and some sell yay'
Others just smoke and #$$ all day

So are you going to Wash U?

publiuspublicola

Postby publiuspublicola » Sun May 23, 2010 12:12 pm

jdstl wrote:I grew up in St. Louis and still live here in the summers (about to start senior year of undergrad). Let me know if any out of towners have any questions about the city.

What do you think of the Shaw neighborhood??

dvd

Postby dvd » Sun May 23, 2010 1:17 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun May 23, 2010 1:19 pm

dvd wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
dvd wrote:you can find me in St. Louie
Where the gun play ring all day (nanana)
Some got jobs and some sell yay'
Others just smoke and #$$ all day

So are you going to Wash U?

No, I just wanted to quote that song.

That's what I thought.

jdstl

Postby jdstl » Sun May 23, 2010 7:15 pm

publiuspublicola wrote:
jdstl wrote:I grew up in St. Louis and still live here in the summers (about to start senior year of undergrad). Let me know if any out of towners have any questions about the city.

What do you think of the Shaw neighborhood??

I actually spend most of my childhood in the Shaw neighborhood, went to a little Catholic grade school in that area. It's a pretty nice area of town. Fairly diverse-- you'll get one street of upper-middle class, the next street a little poorer. But it's generally safe. Probably about a 10 minute drive to WashU if you don't run into traffic.

Other pluses:

1) Very close to the Missouri Botanical Garden, which is truly stunning (great to go walking in, hosts jazz concerts on summer nights, etc.). It's one of the top botanical centers in the nation.
2) The neighborhood is centered on Grand, which is a major avenue with a lot of good little restaurants and shops. (The King and I has some damn good Thai food, for instance).
3) Very close to Tower Grove park, which is a nice big park with pretty lakes and gazebos.

J-tow10

Postby J-tow10 » Mon May 24, 2010 9:22 am

Romothesavior, after using padmapper I think it's awesome! I've been recommending it to all my friends who are looking for apartments next year.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Mon May 24, 2010 9:27 am

J-tow10 wrote:Romothesavior, after using padmapper I think it's awesome! I've been recommending it to all my friends who are looking for apartments next year.
i've looked at it too...it's pretty damn cool.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”