WUSTL Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
stratocophic

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby stratocophic » Wed May 19, 2010 1:58 pm

See you at Sonnenschein, mbaino! Just got the letter. It probably had to travel a little further to get to me :wink:

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Wed May 19, 2010 2:17 pm

stratocophic wrote:See you at Sonnenschein, mbaino! Just got the letter. It probably had to travel a little further to get to me :wink:

Congrats to you both! Ugh now I just want to go home so I can check the mail. It's just like waiting for acceptance letters all over again!

porkbraiser

Postby porkbraiser » Wed May 19, 2010 4:01 pm

I love the people on this forum, so much good information.

kdw94780

Postby kdw94780 » Wed May 19, 2010 4:27 pm

porkbraiser wrote:I love the people on this forum, so much good information.

Lord yes! I could only imagine where I'd be if there were no TLS.

2013esq

Postby 2013esq » Wed May 19, 2010 8:27 pm

stratocophic wrote:See you at Sonnenschein, mbaino! Just got the letter. It probably had to travel a little further to get to me :wink:

Just got mine, too!! See you all there.

Rogoya

Postby Rogoya » Thu May 20, 2010 3:03 am

Hello all. Wash U 3L here. First time poster.

You should all be very excited to be attending Wash U this coming year. It's been an incredible experience for me. As has been pointed out on this thread, people seem quite happy at the law school--certainly not what I expected from a law school experience.

The reason for the happiness seems to be that the law school is thriving. It's an exciting place to be right now. The institution has an elite feel to it. The administration is exceptionally competent, and things run very smoothly/efficiently/effectively. The students are both brilliant and relatively laid back.

I know listening to people on these threads can remove one from reality, since many people who post on these forums like to trash other schools every other day, for reasons I will never understand. However, I can echo some other Wash U posters on here in saying that getting a decent job was relatively easy for me (I am barely above median). I will be working in DC at a firm. The CSO is outstanding, as I am sure some of you have heard. Of course, though, never count on the CSO to get you a job. Do the legwork yourself, and you will find that Wash U is indeed a national school with great name recognition. If you come here, you will be proud of the school--after all, everyone else seems to be.

Anyhow, although this information can't really get at the 'Wash U feel', I figured I'd give you some data on how far Wash U has come along over the years so that you all feel better about your decision.

If you need one, here's a confidence boost:

An article on the dean's tenure thus far. Syverud has just agreed to stay for another 5 years:
http://magazine.wustl.edu/Spring10/Wash ... pirit.html

Some evidence on how Wash U is progressing over the years relative to other law schools given US News indicia. Wustl is well-placed to tie USC this coming year. Over the past years, Wash U's reputation has gone from just above 3 out of 5 to 3.7 out of 5, while peer schools have remained relatively still:
http://agoraphilia.blogspot.com/2005/05 ... emand.html
http://agoraphilia.blogspot.com/2006/06 ... chool.html
http://agoraphilia.blogspot.com/2007/07 ... n-law.html
http://money-law.blogspot.com/2008/08/z ... n-law.html
http://money-law.blogspot.com/2009/07/z ... n-law.html
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... s/rankings

Some evidence on faculty hires. Wash U has been hiring more than other schools for some time now, and the scholars are quite good. Peer schools hired around 1 to 2 a year from what I observed.

2010:
Peggie Smith from Iowa
Kevin Collins from Indiana
Adam B. Bedowi (Bigelow Fellow from University of Chicago)
(The year is about halfway over)

2009:
Washington University in St. Louis
Marion Crain from North Carolina.
Annette Appel from Nevada - Las Vegas.
Melissa Waters from Washington & Lee.
David Law from San Diego.

2008:
Bob Kuehn from Alabama
Brian Tamanaha from St. Johns
Hillary Sale from Iowa
Mae Quinn from Tennessee
Scott Baker from North Carolina

2007:
Carl Minzner. JD, Columbia, 2000. Masters of International Affairs, Columbia, 2000. International Affairs Fellow, Council on Foreign Relations. Yale-China Law Fellow, Xibei Institute ofPolitics and Law.
Adam Rosenzweig. JD, Georgetown, 1998. LLM, NYU, 2002. Visiting Assistant Professor, VAP, Northwestern.

2006:
Washington University (St. Louis)

New: Samuel Buell, JD NYU 1992, Emerging Scholars Program, Texas
Emily Hughes, JD Michigan 1997, MA International Relations Yale 1992, Associate Director Death Penalty Clinic DePaul
Rebecca Hollander-Blumoff, JD Harvard 1996, PhD Candidate Psychology NYU, Research Fellow NYU

Have an excellent summer!

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Thu May 20, 2010 11:09 am

thanks rogoya,

reassurance is a great thing to have right now. law school is a pretty big deal.

Joga Bonito

Postby Joga Bonito » Thu May 20, 2010 11:59 am

Yeah, thanks Rogoya, your post was really encouraging.

Also, I'll be at Sonnenschein too, I just got the letter yesterday.

J-tow10

Postby J-tow10 » Thu May 20, 2010 12:06 pm

Officially checking in! In off the WL this morning via e-mail!

In total shock right now.

justdoit2410

Postby justdoit2410 » Thu May 20, 2010 12:11 pm

Long time lurker, but wanted to join in. I will be part of the class of 2013. :D

Also I got the letter to the Sonnenschein program, so see you all there.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Thu May 20, 2010 1:08 pm

Welcome jtow10 and justdoit2410! Congratulations on your new admissions.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Thu May 20, 2010 1:27 pm

so how old are we thinking most of the posters in this thread are?
Like, most people here are straight out of [strike]compton[/strike] undergrad?

jks289

Postby jks289 » Thu May 20, 2010 1:43 pm

fl0w wrote:so how old are we thinking most of the posters in this thread are?

We can take an age poll. We start the day after my 25th birthday. One of you should bring cupcakes.

It seems like this thread is a mix of ages, judging by talks about work, graduating UG, and starting families.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Thu May 20, 2010 1:47 pm

I am 1 year out of undergrad.

Also, congrats to errrrbody that got off the WL!

meddlingkid

Postby meddlingkid » Thu May 20, 2010 1:47 pm

I've been out of undergrad for 5+ years. I've got some gray hairs.

J-tow10

Postby J-tow10 » Thu May 20, 2010 1:48 pm

jks289 wrote:Welcome jtow10 and justdoit2410! Congratulations on your new admissions.

Thank you! I'm still overwhelmed right now...

Not going to be a productive day at work

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Thu May 20, 2010 1:49 pm

I'll be 2 years out of undergrad. 24 years old!

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Thu May 20, 2010 1:52 pm

Stephanie13 wrote:

I'll be 2 years out of undergrad. 24 years old!
i'll be 2 years out of undergrad but currently 25.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu May 20, 2010 2:04 pm

Wow, a lot of activity in this thread in the last day or so! I'll chime in with some responses/thoughts/etc...

1. I went down to St. Louis yesterday and got an apartment! My roommate and I found a 2BR, fully furnished apartment in a great location (2 minutes from Delmar and about 15-20 minute walk from the law school). It had all the amenities we wanted, and it was only $1000 a month. I'm really psyched about it. (And the property manager was literally a 9.8 out of 10. I mean drop-dead-smoking-hot.)

2. While I was there yesterday, I dropped off my financial aid form, talked to Dean Spivey for about 20 minutes, and walked around campus. It really is starting to feel like home... I really love Wash U. And all of my fellow WUSTL Class of 2013 crew.

3. JCoug, just fyi, K&E did interview at Wash U last year but I think they were a late pick-up or something, which is why they weren't on the list. But I was told by the CSO that they did, and they are more than likely going to be there this year as well.

4. Fl0w... wow. That is a tough decision. I think you should take the job and run with it, so long as you think you would enjoy it. From what it sounds like, your company really wants to keep you around and you are impressing your superiors. You have to keep in mind that not only will you be making 100k+, but it sounds like you'll also have the opportunity for advancement if you keep it up. Your company must be mighty impressed to make an offer like that upon hearing you're leaving. But at the same time on a personal note... I hope you come to Wash U!

5. Congrats to justdoit and jtow. That is really exciting. Welcome aboard.

6. Congrats to everyone on Sonnenschein. If I had any sort of diverse/disadvantaged background, I would have applied. But I'm just a plain, middle-class dude from a "Normal" hometown (some of you may catch that pun). Plus I've got a great job this summer at a company I may want to go in-house for someday so I can't complain.

7. I'm 21 and going straight from undergrad. I'll be 22 in June.

8. Women are all heartless, no-good, inconsiderate, self-centered, blood sucking leeches. Every. Single. One. So that's what's going on in my life right now. :lol:

Anyways... glad to see all the movement in this thread. Only three more months and we'll all be in St. Louis.

justdoit2410

Postby justdoit2410 » Thu May 20, 2010 2:06 pm

jks289 wrote:Welcome jtow10 and justdoit2410! Congratulations on your new admissions.

Thank you for the well wishes. I just finally figured I should include myself in the mix. I have gotten a lot of great information from this thread.

I am two years out of undergrad. Will be 24 when we start. :-)

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Thu May 20, 2010 2:12 pm

Does anybody know if we'll be getting offered any "special laptop deals" in the next month or two or should I just buy one now?

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Thu May 20, 2010 2:19 pm

romothesavior wrote:4. Fl0w... wow. That is a tough decision. I think you should take the job and run with it, so long as you think you would enjoy it. From what it sounds like, your company really wants to keep you around and you are impressing your superiors. You have to keep in mind that not only will you be making 100k+, but it sounds like you'll also have the opportunity for advancement if you keep it up. Your company must be mighty impressed to make an offer like that upon hearing you're leaving. But at the same time on a personal note... I hope you come to Wash U!

To clarify, I work for a consulting firm. They are not offering me anything but a handshake. One of our firm's clients is offering me the baller job because of the work I've done for his firm.

That being said, I've given it a lot of though and I know that I want to go to law school. I don't see why I should put it off. I can make 100k+ for a few years now, then go. But I can go now and make 100k+ when I get out (whether it be in the law field or me retreating back to my former career). And I have a near full-ride now. Who knows if that would be the case if I applied again in a few years?

Carpe Diem i guess.

romothesavior wrote:8. Women are all heartless, no-good, inconsiderate, self-centered, blood sucking leeches. Every. Single. One. So that's what's going on in my life right now. :lol:

This is win. But word is that they are relentless manhunters that are DTF when it comes to law school. you may be forced to be interested again!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu May 20, 2010 2:21 pm

fl0w wrote:
romothesavior wrote:8. Women are all heartless, no-good, inconsiderate, self-centered, blood sucking leeches. Every. Single. One. So that's what's going on in my life right now. :lol:

This is win. But word is that they are relentless manhunters that are DTF when it comes to law school. you may be forced to be interested again!

I'm not unintested in them, I'm just going to stop pretending they have feelings. Or concern for others. :twisted:

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Thu May 20, 2010 2:30 pm

romothesavior wrote:
fl0w wrote:

I'm not unintested in them, I'm just going to stop pretending they have feelings. Or concern for others. :twisted:

with that attitude, i'd say you are perfectly prepared for orientation week. haha!

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Thu May 20, 2010 2:36 pm

romothesavior wrote:
fl0w wrote:

haha this makes me sad. also hilarious though.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”