WUSTL Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
stratocophic

Gold

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Post by stratocophic » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:16 am

Oban wrote:Not that there will be much/any time, but i want start a band. Being in a band was one of the best parts of my undergrad.
What kind of music we talkin'?
robin600 wrote:Whoa there, last time I checked the FB page I didn't see any Leonardo DiCaprio look-alikes. Sorry boys but all this bad-talking of us law school women isn't making your situation look good. I hope all the guys at WUSTL don't feel the same way because that would be really depressing :cry: .
LIES :evil:
romothesavior wrote:I must say... all the girls I am friends with on Facebook from this group are nice, good looking girls. We may have to get some of them to break up with their boyfriends, but other than that... :lol: (kidding)

And thankfully for us guys, NUJet, Camstant and Strato are off the market, which means they won't be hoarding all the women with their good looks and charm.
Somewhat mollified no homo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69c6rTdNSNc

jumpropeck

New

Post by jumpropeck » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:45 am

62 firms at OCI?

@#%!

I might drop out prematurely.

All seriousness aside: If anyone is trying to play hoops regularly...let me know.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 am

jumpropeck wrote:62 firms at OCI?

@#%!

All seriousness aside: If anyone is trying to play hoops regularly...let me know.
Yes, it is rough... (I think the total is 64). But I don't think that includes off-campus interviewing programs or the later OCI rounds. And WUSTL has never been a powerhouse in biglaw placement. They have a pretty vibrant small firm recruitment program and I don't think there is a more aggressive CSO than Dean Spivey.

With that said, finding employment is on US. This is a rough economy, no doubt about it, but OCI was never the primary means of jobs at WUSTL. If anyone had made plans for biglaw out of WUSTL, those plans would have been premature even before ITE. Things are as tough as they've ever been. So I guess the 62 firms at OCI didn't phase me.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:25 am

robin600 wrote:
motedust wrote:I actually kinda got the feeling that quite a few of the guys were in serious relationships or engaged/married from what I saw and a few people I've seen on the FB group. But then again I'm only friends with one TLSer on FB, NU_Jet55 i think.
Looks like we just wait till 2L when all the serious relationships are not so serious any more, or maybe scope out the med school ???? hmmm.....
you'll only have to wait 3 months into 1L for people to break up. probably less.

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:40 am

fl0w wrote:
motedust wrote:
fl0w wrote:
motedust wrote:Reading the college prowler section on guys & girls at WUSTL is pretty interesting. Yay undergrad chicks!!!
what exactly are you referencing?
collegeprowler.com gives universities rankings on certain things (maybe you already know this) and WUSTL got a C+ for girls and a B+ for guys. Reading the reviews makes it seem like the general consensus is that hot girls are there, albeit few in number.
yeah, but the worst grade given is a C-
That being said, a C+ isn't so great :roll:
its hilarious how in my undergrad the girls were rated A+ according to that site... at least i won't be distracted now...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:43 am

romothesavior wrote:

@#%!

Yes, it is rough... (I think the total is 64). But I don't think that includes off-campus interviewing programs or the later OCI rounds. And WUSTL has never been a powerhouse in biglaw placement. They have a pretty vibrant small firm recruitment program and I don't think there is a more aggressive CSO than Dean Spivey.

With that said, finding employment is on US. This is a rough economy, no doubt about it, but OCI was never the primary means of jobs at WUSTL. If anyone had made plans for biglaw out of WUSTL, those plans would have been premature even before ITE. Things are as tough as they've ever been. So I guess the 62 firms at OCI didn't phase me.
first, im down to play hoops regularly. i haven't played in a long time but i used to play at least once a week (in college).

second that is depressing romo... although wustl still does better than a lot of the other lower ranked schools in big law, its still depressing... but it is the truth. at least there's still hope in the sense that wustl places a few in big law.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:44 am

mbaino wrote:As someone who graduated from Washu a hot and spicy second ago, I would say that the law and med school students are slightly more attractive than the undergrads. But overall......meh. We all have to make sacrifices.
ha

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:19 am

najumobi wrote:
mbaino wrote:As someone who graduated from Washu a hot and spicy second ago, I would say that the law and med school students are slightly more attractive than the undergrads. But overall......meh. We all have to make sacrifices.
ha
grad students have an easy time looking better cause all the undergrads live like slobs (aka college students)
guys don't shave or cut their hair
girls wear pajamas to class and never wear makeup

It's pretty easy to beat the blind kid in a game of darts.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:20 am

Or it could be that undergrads = undergrads, whereas med students = future doctors = money.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:31 am

fl0w wrote:
najumobi wrote:
ha
grad students have an easy time looking better cause all the undergrads live like slobs (aka college students)
guys don't shave or cut their hair
girls wear pajamas to class and never wear makeup

It's pretty easy to beat the blind kid in a game of darts.
really i always thought the younger ones have an easier time looking better.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:33 am

@#%!

I'm up for it and about a 10 minute walk from the school, so anytime. Also, compare that 62 to Emory/ND and breathe a sigh of relief :? Could be worse.

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:34 am

stratocophic wrote:

@#%!

I'm up for it and about a 10 minute walk from the school, so anytime. Also, compare that 62 to Emory/ND and breathe a sigh of relief :? Could be worse.
how many were there at emory/ND? i thought ND would do just as well as wustl...

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:39 am

Someone just sent me a fantastic PM re: OCI numbers. Thought I'd share:
It's murky. It's very hard to pin down "how many firms are coming to OCI."

I've trolled around my school's data, and here are all of the variables you have to contend with:

1) Different rounds of OCI have different weight. In boom times but even now, firms get competitive (shock) and want the best students. Schools are also competitive and want their students 'aired' before firms first. That pushed OCI back further and further. It used to be mid to late fall, now it's the end of summer and before classes at almost all top schools. Harvard was one of the last to push their data back and got burned, because firms were 'filling up' on other schools. Anyway, the result is that if a firm is making the trip to a school's first OCI, it is much more meaningful than if it's going to a later OCI. Almost all schools have at least two rounds.

2) Different firms send recruiters with different purposes. Some send a recruiter to, say, 10 schools looking for 4 candidates. Any given school where nobody was hired might spin that as "they only pay us lip services" - but really to a firm, their thinking is going to be much less based on specific schools and more on cost/benefit of how many candidates they get to screen, regardless of their impression of the caliber of student from any given school.

3) It costs literally nothing to appear on symplicity as collecting resumes (ok, firms actually probably do pay a nominal fee...). And it's no better or more likely to result in a job than a mass-mail, so I don't know why people mention that.

4) Firms that have multiple offices often claim to be interviewing for all or most of them, but even if that's not an out and out lie, satellite offices tend to be quite small and have different preferences for students. The Miami office of MLB might be 'interviewing' at 20 schools, but I doubt they hire near 20 associates - and many will be coming from local schools rather tan the T14 circuit. But again, firms have a big incentive to keep their ear on the ground.

5) Firms hire different numbers from different schools. Columbia in boom times sends (no joke) dozens to each of the V10 firms. That's their model: A few very fancy NYC firms hire deeply into their class. Those same firms will absolutely hire Virginia grads, but not in nearly the same number. On the flip side, more firms will be interested in Virginia grads, and the elite DC firms might be more interested in DC grads than Columbia grads. So each school relies on "number of firms" differently. Columbia could have 30 firms at OCI and place half their class. WUSTL could have 200 firms at OCI and place less than half. So looking at just 'unique firms at the earliest possible OCI" still comes up short.

6) Then there are 'off campus' programs. I know Virginia and Duke have one in TX and one in LA. I know GW has one in NYC as do many midwestern schools. These are definitely less 'profitable' than real OCI, but probably better than resume drops. Nobody really knows.

In short, it's hard to marshall all of this data. It's interesting to see it, but I worry that some people are getting the wrong impression about things. I know a year ago this all would have been greek to me - firm hiring is very nuanced. It wasn't until halfway through my first year that I even really appreciated just how bad the Vault rankings were. I knew they were imperfect and imprecise, but it was shocking once I realized just how unimpressive being a V10 firm is unless you are doing corporate transactional work in NYC or how awful the rankings are for other cities (the most selective, desirable, prestigious, etc. DC firms are with one exception scattered haphazardly between V10 and V25)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:40 am

finalaspects wrote:
stratocophic wrote:

@#%!

how many were there at emory/ND? i thought ND would do just as well as wustl...
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=123174

27/39. Pretty horrifying, considering Emory's class seems to have been about the same size as WashU's last year.

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:00 pm

stratocophic wrote:
27/39. Pretty horrifying, considering Emory's class seems to have been about the same size as WashU's last year.
i will always be impressed at the placement of WUSTL and its OCI especially considering the fact that its in a non-major legal city/state. everyone else that does as well is either in a large state/city such as DC, NY, or LA...

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:04 pm

finalaspects wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
i will always be impressed at the placement of WUSTL and its OCI especially considering the fact that its in a non-major legal city/state. everyone else that does as well is either in a large state/city such as DC, NY, or LA...
In terms of biglaw, WUSTL actually does the same or worse than its peers (UIUC, ND, etc.). Not by a lot, of course, but they are not better at biglaw placement.

I will be interested to see how WUSTL does with Dean Spivey at the helm. It seems like WUSTL is retaining/attracting firms ITE better than some of their peers. But as that big post above illustrates, more firms doesn't always translate into more placement.

And as always, getting a job is on us. Spivey is a top-notch CSO, but even he will tell you (and he has told me in person) that he cannot get everyone a job on his own. His office will do all that they can to place us and will put us in a position to succeed, but we've got to hit the ground running with networking and grades.

NU_Jet55

Silver

Post by NU_Jet55 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:11 pm

romothesavior wrote:And thankfully for us guys, NUJet, Camstant and Strato are off the market, which means they won't be hoarding all the women with their good looks and charm.
QFT

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:16 pm

Leaving work and heading to WUSTL! Going down to get the keys to my apartment and move some stuff in. Can't wait to be on campus.

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:17 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:And thankfully for us guys, NUJet, Camstant and Strato are off the market, which means they won't be hoarding all the women with their good looks and charm.
QFT
lol if its true that wustl is C+ at best, are you sure their gf's will be safe from the rest of us?

jk! :P

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:25 pm

finalaspects wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:
QFT
lol if its true that wustl is C+ at best, are you sure their gf's will be safe from the rest of us?

jk! :P
--ImageRemoved--

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:51 pm

motedust wrote:
fl0w wrote:
motedust wrote:Reading the college prowler section on guys & girls at WUSTL is pretty interesting. Yay undergrad chicks!!!
what exactly are you referencing?
collegeprowler.com gives universities rankings on certain things (maybe you already know this) and WUSTL got a C+ for girls and a B+ for guys. Reading the reviews makes it seem like the general consensus is that hot girls are there, albeit few in number.
I don't know that this matters much. Wash U. has awesome lay prestige throughout the city. When I toured the campus/city months ago, just telling people (girls included) that you were there because you might go to Wash U law made their eyes widen.

I'd personally prefer to date outside the law school, and I'm too old for undergrads. I'm aiming for some hot city girls of moderate intelligence, or someone from the medical school. Doctors have nurturing personalities. Law students are stubborn and argumentative. Take your pick.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:52 pm

JCougar wrote:
I don't know that this matters much. Wash U. has awesome lay prestige throughout the city. When I toured the campus/city months ago, just telling people (girls included) that you were there because you might go to Wash U law made their eyes widen.

I'd personally prefer to date outside the law school, and I'm too old for undergrads. I'm aiming for some hot city girls of moderate intelligence, or someone from the medical school. Doctors have nurturing personalities. Law students are stubborn and argumentative. Take your pick.
you and me. we're going hunting near the med campus/bars! i have the exact same mentality as you in regards to law vs. med gfs.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:53 pm

JCougar wrote: I don't know that this matters much. Wash U. has awesome lay prestige throughout the city. When I toured the campus/city months ago, just telling people (girls included) that you were there because you might go to Wash U law made their eyes widen.
This is fact.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:58 pm

JCougar wrote: I don't know that this matters much. Wash U. has awesome lay prestige throughout the city. When I toured the campus/city months ago, just telling people girls that you were there because you might go to Wash U law made their eyes widen panties drop.
fixed that for you.
this is exactly why you will have more success outside of the law school.

And as a fellow seasoned man, i feel you on not wanting to hit on girls under 25.

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:59 pm

fl0w wrote:
JCougar wrote: I don't know that this matters much. Wash U. has awesome lay prestige throughout the city. When I toured the campus/city months ago, just telling people girls that you were there because you might go to Wash U law made their eyes widen panties drop.
fixed that for you.
this is exactly why you will have more success outside of the law school.

And as a fellow seasoned man, i feel you on not wanting to hit on girls under 25.
how old are you flow? my rule is the girl just has to have graduated from undergrad (otherwise they don't know how real life really is and lives in a fictional world until then)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”