WUSTL Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
dvd

Bronze

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Post by dvd » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:08 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

quadsixm

Bronze

Post by quadsixm » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:11 pm

nowinGA wrote:I was in love with this place, but all of this stuff is starting to leave a bad taste in my mouth. Anyone else? The financial aid director is extremely rude, unhelpful, and condescending...and this admissions stuff seems weird. I mean, if I want to defer, I'll call ya, WashU!

I mean, I really liked the place...but it's just starting to feel negative...am I alone in this?

The other schools where I am admitted are still woo-ing me, not trying to get rid of me...WashU just feels very different.
Their admissions office is saying that they're overcommitted this year... so that might be the point.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:18 pm

nowinGA wrote:I was in love with this place, but all of this stuff is starting to leave a bad taste in my mouth. Anyone else? The financial aid director is extremely rude, unhelpful, and condescending...and this admissions stuff seems weird. I mean, if I want to defer, I'll call ya, WashU!

I mean, I really liked the place...but it's just starting to feel negative...am I alone in this?

The other schools where I am admitted are still woo-ing me, not trying to get rid of me...WashU just feels very different.
With that said, you're going to Georgetown anyway if they let you in, right?

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:54 pm

The financial aid director was really helpful to me, idk...

so! my boyfriend and I are moving in together for the summer! I'm really excited, but I'm afraid he might change his mind when he finds out what I did to his pants. I was supposed to patch up a hole. I did. But I also bejeweled them. I'm wondering if he'll notice.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:01 pm

you can't really blame them....it's in their interest to do this if they're overenrolled. if you end up withdrawing b/c of it, then they're closer to succeeding in their effort.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nowinGA

Bronze

Post by nowinGA » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:36 pm

najumobi wrote:

you can't really blame them....it's in their interest to do this if they're overenrolled. if you end up withdrawing b/c of it, then they're closer to succeeding in their effort.
Right. Which just feels kinda icky. Like they want to piss me off to fix their problem. I don't know. Like I said, it is just SUCH a different vibe I am getting from other schools.

And to the poster above, no, I am not necessarily going to GULC if I get in off the WL. I have not yet decided I would choose that at sticker over a huge scholly like the one at WashU. Right now my battle is between WashU and BC with about the same scholly. And BC is making me feel much more special...(and not seeming like the regret accepting me)...

Like I said, I loved WashU when I visited. I was fairly certain I would go there. But these couple of bad/weird experiences have left a bad taste...it's not my fault they over-enrolled. Don't make me feel like it is partly my problem. There is something nice about feeling like I was wanted for the class into which I was admitted. And I felt that from about 15 other schools...

nowinGA

Bronze

Post by nowinGA » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:36 pm

sibley wrote:The financial aid director was really helpful to me, idk...

so! my boyfriend and I are moving in together for the summer! I'm really excited, but I'm afraid he might change his mind when he finds out what I did to his pants. I was supposed to patch up a hole. I did. But I also bejeweled them. I'm wondering if he'll notice.
Bejewling is never a bad thing. So are you going to WashU? I hadn't heard your final decision, but thought you were leaning GW.

Stephanie13

Bronze

Post by Stephanie13 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:38 pm

Got the email. Was semi-offended for a split second but I'm over it now. I am curious to see if asking them for a bigger scholarship for deferring will work. So whoever is doing that please get back to us when you find out! I won't be deferring because I don't want to wait to start law school any longer.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:53 pm

Bodylanguage: I am working as an intern at corporate headquarters of a big insurance company this summer (their colors are red and white, if that gives it away). The HQ is located in my hometown and I am very, very interested in working there after law school. I actually met with a few attorneys from this company a few weeks ago to discuss law school, their hiring practices, the health of their legal dept, etc. and I'm going to try to network my ass off this summer. If I could somehow go straight from law school to a corporate in-house with good pay, I would jump at the opportunity!

As for that email, I agree it left a bad taste in my mouth, but I certainly understand what they are trying to do. I do not want to be in an overenrolled class for a variety of reasons. If I had any sort of real job lined up for next year, I would absolutely consider taking them up on the offer. I may even ask if they will increase my scholarship by a few thousand if I agree to defer.

I must say, even though I love Wash U, I am going to start making a very concerted effort at getting in off the Michigan waitlist (more LOCIs, a few phone calls, etc.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RayFinkle

Bronze

Post by RayFinkle » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:59 pm

nowinGA wrote:
najumobi wrote:

Right. Which just feels kinda icky. Like they want to piss me off to fix their problem. I don't know. Like I said, it is just SUCH a different vibe I am getting from other schools.

And to the poster above, no, I am not necessarily going to GULC if I get in off the WL. I have not yet decided I would choose that at sticker over a huge scholly like the one at WashU. Right now my battle is between WashU and BC with about the same scholly. And BC is making me feel much more special...(and not seeming like the regret accepting me)...

Like I said, I loved WashU when I visited. I was fairly certain I would go there. But these couple of bad/weird experiences have left a bad taste...it's not my fault they over-enrolled. Don't make me feel like it is partly my problem. There is something nice about feeling like I was wanted for the class into which I was admitted. And I felt that from about 15 other schools...
I think you are taking things a little too personally. You will likely never deal with these people on these terms again and if other schools were in a similar situation I am sure you'd get the same there. It's just the nature of the beast.

Stephanie13

Bronze

Post by Stephanie13 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:01 pm

romothesavior wrote:Bodylanguage: I am working as an intern at corporate headquarters of a big insurance company this summer (their colors are red and white, if that gives it away). The HQ is located in my hometown and I am very, very interested in working there after law school. I actually met with a few attorneys from this company a few weeks ago to discuss law school, their hiring practices, the health of their legal dept, etc. and I'm going to try to network my ass off this summer. If I could somehow go straight from law school to a corporate in-house with good pay, I would jump at the opportunity!

As for that email, I agree it left a bad taste in my mouth, but I certainly understand what they are trying to do. I do not want to be in an overenrolled class for a variety of reasons. If I had any sort of real job lined up for next year, I would absolutely consider taking them up on the offer. I may even ask if they will increase my scholarship by a few thousand if I agree to defer.

I must say, even though I love Wash U, I am going to start making a very concerted effort at getting in off the Michigan waitlist (more LOCIs, a few phone calls, etc.)
Oh no! Not you Romo! You are like the champion of all things WUSTL.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:03 pm

Stephanie13 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Bodylanguage: I am working as an intern at corporate headquarters of a big insurance company this summer (their colors are red and white, if that gives it away). The HQ is located in my hometown and I am very, very interested in working there after law school. I actually met with a few attorneys from this company a few weeks ago to discuss law school, their hiring practices, the health of their legal dept, etc. and I'm going to try to network my ass off this summer. If I could somehow go straight from law school to a corporate in-house with good pay, I would jump at the opportunity!

Haha how did I earn such a title? I'm quite honored...

I will be in St. Louis next fall, I can almost 100% assure you of that. I just don't know if I could turn down Michigan without more money from Wash U. So if I do get lucky and land an acceptance off the WL, the ball will be in Wash U's court.

nowinGA

Bronze

Post by nowinGA » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:04 pm

RayFinkle wrote:
nowinGA wrote:
najumobi wrote:

I think you are taking things a little too personally. You will likely never deal with these people on these terms again and if other schools were in a similar situation I am sure you'd get the same there. It's just the nature of the beast.
I know that. I do. And perhaps my notes above are coming off too strong. I am trying to be sassy and perhaps coming off as whiney. That said, it feels REALLY NICE to be wooed as I have from many other schools. Really nice. WashU is just...well...there. They haven't made me feel excited about going there (even though they offered me a crap ton of money to come) because they are clearly in a jam. Their own anxiety is palpable and contagious.

But I am well aware it is not good to judge a school by their admissions office. And I will make a much more heady decision with regards to that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:18 pm

nowinGA wrote:
najumobi wrote:

But you're playing the game, too. You're double-deposited, plus you're on the preferred waitlist of a school you may very well end up attending. Not that you're breaking any rules or anything (it was WUSTL's prerogative to make their deposit refundable), but you're taking up spots in two different schools' entering classes and quite possibly attending a third.

Personally, I'm not in the law school application business to get my ego massaged. WUSTL is obviously concerned about over-admitting their class. You should be glad, as a potential student there, that they are concerned about this, and that they are trying to do something about it. They didn't personally insult you; all they did was give you the option to defer.

I don't mean to be moralistic, and obviously I need people to withdraw if I have any hope of getting in, so it's not like I am free of personal bias in this case. But it is what it is. They didn't say they didn't want you...they just said that you have the option of deferring.

Stephanie13

Bronze

Post by Stephanie13 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:22 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Stephanie13 wrote:

Haha how did I earn such a title? I'm quite honored...

I will be in St. Louis next fall, I can almost 100% assure you of that. I just don't know if I could turn down Michigan without more money from Wash U. So if I do get lucky and land an acceptance off the WL, the ball will be in Wash U's court.
Yea I completely understand. If I were on the waitlist of a T14, I'd do whatever it takes to get off of it.

I also agree with everyone else that what the admissions office has been doing these past couple is not the most attractive but in the end I still think WUSTL is a great school and I can't wait to be there this Fall.

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:26 pm

I have to agree with nowayGA, I really like WUSTL and am excited to be attending. But man, every single interaction I have had with the administration since depositing has been negative. The very rude scholarship increase denial (the manner in which it was done, not the fact of it), the unfriendly mass emails, the game playing with ASD refunds. I understand they are in a tough spot, this is part of the game, and I will hardly have to deal with this part of the school on a daily basis, but still... You are asking me to pay over $100,000 to attend. Can you at least be nice about it?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:27 pm

jks289 wrote:I have to agree with nowayGA, I really like WUSTL and am excited to be attending. But man, every single interaction I have had with the administration since depositing has been negative. The very rude scholarship increase denial (the manner in which it was done, not the fact of it), the unfriendly mass emails, the game playing with ASD refunds. I understand they are in a tough spot, this is part of the game, and I will hardly have to deal with this part of the school on a daily basis, but still... You are asking me to pay over $100,000 to attend. Can you at least be nice about it?
+1. All good points.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:33 pm

Random thought... I wonder how being overdeposited will affect their median/25/75 numbers? In a normal year, they would have probably enticed a lot of us above-median people with a few extra thousand here and there, but they've been declining everyone who asks for an increase. I even heard a few tales of people getting increases last year without even asking. I know the lack of a scholly increase has given me reason for pause with regards to attending Wash U.

Really no idea if what I'm saying has any merit... just throwing out a random thought.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:50 pm

romothesavior wrote:Random thought... I wonder how being overdeposited will affect their median/25/75 numbers? In a normal year, they would have probably enticed a lot of us above-median people with a few extra thousand here and there, but they've been declining everyone who asks for an increase. I even heard a few tales of people getting increases last year without even asking. I know the lack of a scholly increase has given me reason for pause with regards to attending Wash U.

Really no idea if what I'm saying has any merit... just throwing out a random thought.
I doubt it's going to affect them either way. The way the application process works, once you set out and start admitting people with the goal of hitting a target median, it would be really hard for that to change midway through the cycle. Given that their median is 167 and their 75th percentile is 168, and that they did that with a ton of 167s last year as evidenced by LSN, they probably don't have a lot of room to maneuver there as far as moving that up. And given that their 25th %ile LSAT was 161, there's simply no room for 167+ LSATs to take up much more than 50% of the class. As far as it moving down, they have plenty of people in reserve to fill in the gaps if too many people withdraw. It might help them a bit GPA-wise, though, if it's the full schollies that are depositing in greater numbers, since they tend to have numbers that help both medians.

They may try for a 168 next year if all these people end up matriculating and more people retake the LSAT to get a higher score...who knows.

panadera

Bronze

Post by panadera » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:03 am

I have a situation similar to yours. And I gave up Mich with some money for WUSTL full-ride. It's the debt thing.

But if you think Michigan could better get you back to this company (and the debt is worth it), more power to you. :)

Though as Stephanie put it, you will be missed as the WUSTL champ.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:31 am

nowinGA wrote:
sibley wrote:The financial aid director was really helpful to me, idk...

Bejewling is never a bad thing. So are you going to WashU? I hadn't heard your final decision, but thought you were leaning GW.
Yeah, I pick GW. WashU just gives me way too much internal dissonance. GW's a lot closer to my boyfriend and my family (7 hour drive from either, in opposite directions... 4 hours to the bf on school breaks). WashU is TONS prettier but GW's equally new inside.
I just like you guys, so I come chit chat on here =) plus romo's avatar is pretty.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mbaino

New

Post by mbaino » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:40 am

The deferring email did say they were receiving a "number of inquiries" about deferring. To me it seemed to be a purely functional email so they could stop answering that question over and over.

As for the summer, I will be working in some capacity in either St Louis or Los Angeles. I'm looking for jobs in St Louis and not having any luck currently. I have a fallback job in LA.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:59 am

mbaino wrote:The deferring email did say they were receiving a "number of inquiries" about deferring. To me it seemed to be a purely functional email so they could stop answering that question over and over.
Yes, perhaps it's only this. Although this e-mail coupled with them admitting that they're over-deposited coupled with they have no more scholarship money at this moment gives off the impression that they may be in danger of over-depositing. But, then again, every school is over-deposited at this point and out of scholarship money for the very same reasons. There's just tons of people that are taking up seats and scholarship money in multiple classes. The problem is that nobody really knows what people are going to do. Many extra applications, but the same number of applicants, and people who have been accepted to four schools are still not making any decisions.

I'm sure that they want to get on with it either way, because as time passes by, their waitlist/hold list only thins out, and if people that are less than serious about attending are clogging up the seats in their entering class but unlikely to attend, this won't be good for the school (or the applicants on the hold list). And if people are thinking about defering, they'd want to know sooner rather than later.

musicfor18

Silver

Post by musicfor18 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:08 am

jman77 wrote:
jks289 wrote:
fl0w wrote:
jks289 wrote:Did everyone else get this email to:

"Over the last several days, we have received a number of inquiries from admitted students regarding the possibility of deferring their start of law school to the fall of 2011. If your seat in the class is deferred we will also defer your scholarship. If this is something you would like to consider, please contact the admissions office."

I am starting to take these emails sort of personally. First the "Remember if you decide not to come we'll give you your money back" and now this. Have they just seriously over-enrolled?

Edit: I guess jman's post above answers that.
Yes, I got this as well. But honestly I'm so ready to get into law school at this point, I don't think i could take another year at work... even though I would get promoted to manager....
Me too. Maybe if they offered to increase the scholarship if I deferred (ala Northwestern) I'd think about it. :D
+1. Perhaps I will reply to their e-mail and ask if they would increase my scholarship; if so, by how much. If the numbers add up, I may very well defer.
I emailed the admission office and asked about the possibility of an increase in scholarship if I were to defer. They responded to say that my current award be guaranteed at this time, and that there may be a chance that next cycle my award could be increased depending on the budget.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:11 am

musicfor18 wrote: I emailed the admission office and asked about the possibility of an increase in scholarship if I were to defer. They responded to say that my current award be guaranteed at this time, and that there may be a chance that next cycle my award could be increased depending on the budget.
so in other words, you wouldn't be able to know if your award would increase until the next cycle, after you have already deferred?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”