WUSTL Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Oban

Silver

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Post by Oban » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:08 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Oban wrote:
fl0w wrote:LOLCI

'Nuff said
Indeed
I am actually pleasantly surprised with my results, but I also am targeting the Midwest and got some love that others may not have gotten.
A winner is you!

In all seriousness, OCI results shouldn't surprise anyone, top 1/3 or 1/4 = a decent amount of preselects, Middle Third and below = crickets.

I, like most of the class, will probably get a jerb outside of OCI. Hell I got more interviews at home via mass mail. Which I am verry happy about.

kdw94780

Bronze

Post by kdw94780 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:10 pm

crickets indeed.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:27 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Oban wrote:

'Nuff said
Indeed
I am actually pleasantly surprised with my results, but I also am targeting the Midwest and got some love that others may not have gotten.
Yeah, me not want.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:28 pm

Oban wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Oban wrote:

'Nuff said
Indeed
A winner is you!

In all seriousness, OCI results shouldn't surprise anyone, top 1/3 or 1/4 = a decent amount of preselects, Middle Third and below = crickets.

I, like most of the class, will probably get a jerb outside of OCI. Hell I got more interviews at home via mass mail. Which I am verry happy about.
I never wanted to be right in saying that I couldn't rely on OCI for anything. But I guess planning in preparation for that was a good move.

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:58 pm

Yeah, i prepared for meh, and got meh.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Wooostl2012

New

Post by Wooostl2012 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:59 pm

So it sounds like the consensus here is that OCI is a little better this year, but still largely underwhelming?

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:38 pm

Wooostl2012 wrote:So it sounds like the consensus here is that OCI is a little better this year, but still largely underwhelming?
I don't even know if it's better. It seems to have flatlined since c/o 2010. There were 70 total entries, but like 25 of them were resume collects/direct sends. And of the remaining 45, about 8 of them were different offices of Bryan Cave.

There's over a dozen more interviewing during the second round, but a lot of those are from smaller markets.

You just gotta claw your way into a job these days. It's probably better that way...that's how almost every other profession has to do it. Good thing for me, too, since Cougars have claws.

Wooostl2012

New

Post by Wooostl2012 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:22 am

Gotcha. That does sound a lot like the numbers we had for OCI. I'd heard K&E, Sidley, Skadden were coming back this year, but I suppose some other firms (Sullcrom maybe?) must not have been impressed enough to make the return trip.

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:23 am

Does that list also reflect class sizes?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:56 am

Hannibal wrote:Does that list also reflect class sizes?
No, it doesn't. Within that number, you might have firms that hire no one, and you might have (probably more likely the STL firms) firms that hire a handful of students.

The main takeaway is that nobody in Chicago is hiring at virtually any school, except for a few firms like Kirkland. But they're the exception, not the rule.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:02 am

JCougar wrote:
No, it doesn't. Within that number, you might have firms that hire no one, and you might have (probably more likely the STL firms) firms that hire a handful of students.

The main takeaway is that nobody in Chicago is hiring at virtually any school, except for a few firms like Kirkland. But they're the exception, not the rule.
Hiring in Chicago objectively sucks, but most (all?) of the Chicago firms doing OCI here have summer classes. And most (all?) of the NLJ 250 Chicago firms have them as well. They're not big (sometimes on par with the firms here in town), but they are hiring. They're just not hiring much. IIRC, NYC has about 1,200 more SA spots available to it than Chicago.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:11 am

romothesavior wrote:
JCougar wrote:

Hiring in Chicago objectively sucks, but most (all?) of the Chicago firms doing OCI here have summer classes. And most (all?) of the NLJ 250 Chicago firms have them as well. They're not big (sometimes on par with the firms here in town), but they are hiring. They're just not hiring much. IIRC, NYC has about 1,200 more SA spots available to it than Chicago.
Yeah, I was using exaggerated language. Imagine that! :P

Lesson be learned: If you want to be safe ITE, mass-mailing NYC is probably your best bet.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:19 am

Ip is picking up. Especially in tech sector. So to be safe you could also try being someone that can do those things in SilValley.

I still dunno if that's "safe" but "safer?"

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:55 am

They don't call it "IP secure" for nothin'

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:57 am

fl0w wrote:Ip is picking up. Especially in tech sector. So to be safe you could also try being someone that can do those things in SilValley.

I still dunno if that's "safe" but "safer?"
Just do IPSecure, errbody
FTFY

*Knocks on wood, rubs rabbit's foot, wears necklace made of horseshoes and 4-leaf clovers*

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:11 pm

So I work with Berkeley kids this summer and they are talking about their OCI. It is 100% lottery. Every student is guaranteed TWENTY interviews.

Discuss.

kdw94780

Bronze

Post by kdw94780 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:16 pm

fl0w wrote:So I work with Berkeley kids this summer and they are talking about their OCI. It is 100% lottery. Every student is guaranteed TWENTY interviews.

Discuss.
I am so glad I'm a URM because if it wasn't for minority job fairs, I'd be screwed as far as getting my face in front big law employers. What's the pros of having the 70/30 system anyway? Does this entice more employers to come? I mean is our OCI much better than NDLS's where it's all lotto as well. Times like these makes me wonder if I should have gone to Vandy, but oh well I guess this anguish is what happens when you spend $42,000 less. I don't get why Vandy's OCI seems to be so far superior to WUSTL's when the ranking and student quality difference is not very big at all and Nashville is just about as out of the way as St. Louis.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:22 pm

kdw94780 wrote:
fl0w wrote:So I work with Berkeley kids this summer and they are talking about their OCI. It is 100% lottery. Every student is guaranteed TWENTY interviews.

Discuss.
I am so glad I'm a URM because if it wasn't for minority job fairs, I'd be screwed as far as getting my face in front big law employers. What's the pros of having the 70/30 system anyway? Does this entice more employers to come? I mean is our OCI much better than NDLS's where it's all lotto as well. Times like these makes me wonder if I should have gone to Vandy, but oh well I guess this anguish is what happens when you spend $42,000 less. I don't get why Vandy's OCI seems to be so far superior to WUSTL's when the ranking and student quality difference is not very big at all and Nashville is just about as out of the way as St. Louis.
i hear you. if it weren't for minority fairs and IP fairs i'd be SOL. But oddly enough, I've been doing better at IP fairs than at minority fairs. I don't really get it. Maybe it is a sign that I really am an IP guy.

Total Litigator

Silver

Post by Total Litigator » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:03 pm

fl0w wrote:
kdw94780 wrote:

Discuss.
i hear you. if it weren't for minority fairs and IP fairs i'd be SOL. But oddly enough, I've been doing better at IP fairs than at minority fairs. I don't really get it. Maybe it is a sign that I really am an IP guy.
To be perfectly honest, its probably the fact you are a URM at an IP fair. That is MONEY. lol

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:09 pm

Total Litigator wrote: To be perfectly honest, its probably the fact you are a URM at an IP fair. That is MONEY. lol
Interestingly enough, there are a lot of minorities at IP fairs... just not underrepresented ones. I had an interviewer comment to me that he sees a lot of asians and indians at IP fairs, but rarely any black people at all. Yes, we were talking about being black.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:10 pm

On another note, has anyone else done JDMatch? First match day is Sat.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Total Litigator

Silver

Post by Total Litigator » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:26 pm

fl0w wrote:
Total Litigator wrote: To be perfectly honest, its probably the fact you are a URM at an IP fair. That is MONEY. lol
Interestingly enough, there are a lot of minorities at IP fairs... just not underrepresented ones. I had an interviewer comment to me that he sees a lot of asians and indians at IP fairs, but rarely any black people at all. Yes, we were talking about being black.

Sorry... I meant to say Black. I know from personal experience / stereotypes (my bad!) that there are not a lot of Black students doing the IP law route. Heck, white guys are probably an IP URM too to some extent.... I'm probably coming off slightly racist so I'll just zip it lol

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:30 pm

fl0w wrote:On another note, has anyone else done JDMatch? First match day is Sat.
So what does that mean? What will happen Saturday?

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:35 pm

This JD match thing seems kind of iffy, but If it guarantees and interview and it's free, then why not?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:03 pm

Oban wrote:This JD match thing seems kind of iffy, but If it guarantees and interview and it's free, then why not?
It guarantees an interview? How is that? There are only like 5 firms on it and none are in markets I want to work in. Seems like a good idea, but it could be years before it really does anything.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”