WUSTL Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
JCougar

Gold

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Post by JCougar » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:30 pm

romothesavior wrote: If it is any consolation... just know that I am really, really pulling for you. I have enjoyed your posts on TLS and I can tell you really want to join us in St. Louis in the fall.
Thanks! It is consolation.

WUSTL was always kind of my first choice, as it's in the Midwest, it accepts splitters like I figured I would turn out to be, it's in a big city, one of my best friends already lives there, and it's a very practical law school. I practice tested last summer in the 165-170 range, so I always knew it was possible to get that LSAT. Unfortunately, I bombed in September because I was nervous and put too much pressure on myself. Same thing happened in December. Took me until February, but now I have the score to get in.

Despite this, it was just the highest-ranked splitter-friendly Midwestern school to me...until I visited. Now I know it's where I belong.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:35 pm

JCougar wrote:
romothesavior wrote: If it is any consolation... just know that I am really, really pulling for you. I have enjoyed your posts on TLS and I can tell you really want to join us in St. Louis in the fall.
Thanks! It is consolation.

WUSTL was always kind of my first choice, as it's in the Midwest, it accepts splitters like I figured I would turn out to be, it's in a big city, one of my best friends already lives there, and it's a very practical law school. I practice tested last summer in the 165-170 range, so I always knew it was possible to get that LSAT. Unfortunately, I bombed in September because I was nervous and put too much pressure on myself. Same thing happened in December. Took me until February, but now I have the score to get in.

Despite this, it was just the highest-ranked splitter-friendly Midwestern school to me...until I visited. Now I know it's where I belong.
Stay in constant contact and keep letting them know that this is where you want to be. It would be a shame if you didn't get in.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:49 pm

najumobi wrote: there could probably be small gradations (i do trust wustl's ability to place students a little more than i trust emory's) but wustl's placement isn't head and shoulders above those other schools. i think we currently and will continue to disgree about wustl's "national placement". my take is that only the students at a few schools have almost no barrier to working in any region in the country (yale, harvard, stanford, chicago, columbia). for instance, i think the average student coming out of penn can expect to get a well paying job, but the average penn student shouldn't expect get a well paying job in california. i'd rather stick to grading schools on their ability to place their students into well paying jobs. wustl's geographical placement of students is larger than that of uiuc, but it's students are also more geographically diverse. if we grade schools by also looking at geographical placement it introduces more variables which makes it harder to strictly measure a school's placement ability, especially since we all know being from a particular region gives a student a better chance of gaining valuable employment in that region. going by the salary placement of schools' grads (and cost of living of grads' location) is probably a more accurate way to grade schools placement ability.
I wouldn't say it's head and shoulders above, but I think it's a hair above. WUSTL still hasn't closed the gap between itself and the T17, but it's leading the rest of the pack by a nose. I think eventually they will end up closing that gap. That's why I think they are correctly ranked at 19.

Also, I think raising a law school's stature is somewhat of a feedback loop:

high USNews ranking ---> more national appeal to the applicant pool ---> more geographicaly diverse class ---> more geographically diverse placement ---> even more national appeal to the applicant pool ---> more higher numbers applicants taking the school seriously ---> better medians ---> higher USNews ranking

With all the competition around, it's hard to keep that cycle rolling, as everyone else is competing for the same students. But there is kind of a line at the T17 where above that, schools have pretty much broken the "regional" mold (some more than others). This makes them a plausible choice for applicants all around the country. There's only so many 167+ applicants in one region, but there's many more to draw from if you can attract a national applicant base. Once WUSTL starts differentiating itself from the rest of the pack, it will begin that feedback loop. In fact, it may have already begun.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:25 pm

Mrgth and Lawrence, thanks for the replies.

Stephanie13

Bronze

Post by Stephanie13 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:35 pm

Yes, thanks so much for answering our questions!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:36 pm

Just got my ASD reimbursement check in the mail! Whew, I was getting worried.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:45 pm

jks289 wrote:Just got my ASD reimbursement check in the mail! Whew, I was getting worried.
Nice, I hope mine comes today too. I could use some extra cash.

mrgth51453

New

Post by mrgth51453 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:08 pm

np, if you have any more feel free to message me or something, I'll try to give an honest answer.

fivemilestonirvana

New

Post by fivemilestonirvana » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:00 pm

Hey guys,

I am split between Wash U and Wisconsin Law. Thanks to scholarships they are about the same. I have a lot of family/friends/and did my undergrad at Wisconsin.

Any thoughts/opinions? I've talked it to death with people who haven't been through the law school app and decision process and it's really frustrating.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:41 pm

fivemilestonirvana wrote:Hey guys,

I am split between Wash U and Wisconsin Law. Thanks to scholarships they are about the same. I have a lot of family/friends/and did my undergrad at Wisconsin.

Any thoughts/opinions? I've talked it to death with people who haven't been through the law school app and decision process and it's really frustrating.
Do you absolutely plan on working in Wisconsin following law school? If so, go to Wisconsin (assuming in-state tuition/scholarship). If you want to work anywhere else, WUSTL.

quadsixm

Bronze

Post by quadsixm » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:11 pm

jks289 wrote:

Do you absolutely plan on working in Wisconsin following law school? If so, go to Wisconsin (assuming in-state tuition/scholarship). If you want to work anywhere else, WUSTL.

Absolutely correct. If you want to work in Wisconsin, or for some reason can save on COL (living with relatives?), then Wisconsin. Otherwise, WUSTL hands down.

nowinGA

Bronze

Post by nowinGA » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:15 pm

If you want work in WI...WI hands down. You won't have to take the bar exam. Otherwise it's a tougher call.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:00 pm

Wisconsin has basically four cities at their OCI: Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Chicago and Madison. There's not many firms in Madison, period, and the number of Chicago firms that interview there has dropped significantly ITE. If you're comfortable with a Milwaukee job (or anywhere else in Wisconsin) or a Minneapolis job, Wisconsin is a better choice, especially since you don't have to take the bar to work in Milwaukee. Plus, Madison is one of the coolest cities in the entire United States.

WUSTL is better for everywhere else, except for maybe California, where it is a wash.

I've been admitted to Wisconsin with in-state tuition, but I really want to move back to Chicago and work there after I graduate, so I'd rather go to WUSTL.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:40 am

jks289 wrote:Just got my ASD reimbursement check in the mail! Whew, I was getting worried.
yay! how early did you submit yours? they didn't get mine til after the last day because their stupid email system kept filtering out my forwarded airline email.

fivemilestonirvana

New

Post by fivemilestonirvana » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:08 am

By the way, has anyone created a facebook group for the class of 2013? I've seen a lot of classes doing that.

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:44 am

Yes, there is one. I'm on my phone and too lazy to search for the link, but it's in this thread.

myq

Bronze

Post by myq » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:34 pm

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 ... 693&ref=ts is the facebook group.

I'd also like to say I'm rooting for JCougar to get in as well, and also pushing for EncyclopediaBrown.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:51 pm

sibley wrote:
yay! how early did you submit yours? they didn't get mine til after the last day because their stupid email system kept filtering out my forwarded airline email.
I just filled out the form and mailed it in at the beginning of April.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:11 pm

The above responses are TCR. If you want Wisconsin or Minnesota, then Wisconsin. Anywhere else, take WUSTL. With both schools being equal financially, I think there are very few reasons for taking Wisconsin over Wash U.

In regards to the FB group, I say we start friending each other. Obviously I don't want to out anybody on TLS, but I would like to know who some of you people are since we're going to be classmates. It isn't hard to figure out who I am (hint: I've posted in there a few times). Feel free to FR me on Facebook.

porkbraiser

New

Post by porkbraiser » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:36 pm

I think it'll be a fun trying to guess who everyone is when we start classes.

myq

Bronze

Post by myq » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:41 pm

I think I'll be able to guess who najumobi is.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:58 pm

myq wrote:I think I'll be able to guess who najumobi is.
Haha +1. I got to meet him at the ASD. He is as good of a guy as his posts seem to indicate. He's a great guy.

myq

Bronze

Post by myq » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:04 pm

Romo, if I get to WUSTL and you are not Ron Burgundy I am going to be very disappointed.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:05 pm

myq wrote:Romo, if I get to WUSTL and you are not Ron Burgundy I am going to be very disappointed.
I plan to grow a mustache and wear suits so fine they'd make Sinatra look like a hobo.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:25 pm

JCougar wrote:
najumobi wrote: there could probably be small gradations (i do trust wustl's ability to place students a little more than i trust emory's) but wustl's placement isn't head and shoulders above those other schools. i think we currently and will continue to disgree about wustl's "national placement". my take is that only the students at a few schools have almost no barrier to working in any region in the country (yale, harvard, stanford, chicago, columbia). for instance, i think the average student coming out of penn can expect to get a well paying job, but the average penn student shouldn't expect get a well paying job in california. i'd rather stick to grading schools on their ability to place their students into well paying jobs. wustl's geographical placement of students is larger than that of uiuc, but it's students are also more geographically diverse. if we grade schools by also looking at geographical placement it introduces more variables which makes it harder to strictly measure a school's placement ability, especially since we all know being from a particular region gives a student a better chance of gaining valuable employment in that region. going by the salary placement of schools' grads (and cost of living of grads' location) is probably a more accurate way to grade schools placement ability.
I wouldn't say it's head and shoulders above, but I think it's a hair above. WUSTL still hasn't closed the gap between itself and the T17, but it's leading the rest of the pack by a nose. I think eventually they will end up closing that gap. That's why I think they are correctly ranked at 19.

Also, I think raising a law school's stature is somewhat of a feedback loop:

high USNews ranking ---> more national appeal to the applicant pool ---> more geographicaly diverse class ---> more geographically diverse placement ---> even more national appeal to the applicant pool ---> more higher numbers applicants taking the school seriously ---> better medians ---> higher USNews ranking

With all the competition around, it's hard to keep that cycle rolling, as everyone else is competing for the same students. But there is kind of a line at the T17 where above that, schools have pretty much broken the "regional" mold (some more than others). This makes them a plausible choice for applicants all around the country. There's only so many 167+ applicants in one region, but there's many more to draw from if you can attract a national applicant base. Once WUSTL starts differentiating itself from the rest of the pack, it will begin that feedback loop. In fact, it may have already begun.
ah ic your point.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”