WUSTL Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
fl0w

Silver

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Post by fl0w » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:35 pm

vmmf wrote:Guys, does anyone intend to bring a Mac to school?

WUSTL's website says that ExamSoft (presumably their exam-taking program) is not compatible with Macs. However, ExamSoft's FAQ on their website says that it is compatible with Mac's new OS, Snow Leopard. Is WUSTL's warning simply outdated, or am I missing something?

Sorry if this has already been answered before.
You misread ExamSoft's website
ExamSoft wrote: In order to use SofTest on your Apple Macbook or Macbook Pro, you must have:

* Mac OS X Snow Leopard (v. 10.6) or Mac OS X Leopard (v. 10.5) AND
* A valid copy of Windows XP, Vista or 7 installed using Apple's Bootcamp Assistant
That being said, yes, I am bringing a mac.

Edit: to clarify, ExamSoft's exam software is not compatible with Mac OS X. It is compatible with windows. The way to solve this with a Mac is to install windows on the mac using Apple's Bootcamp Assistant.

J-tow10

Bronze

Post by J-tow10 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:58 pm

fl0w wrote:
J-tow10 wrote:
fl0w wrote:
J-tow10 wrote:Where did everyone send their e-mail to about scholly info? Admissions? Fin. Aid?
fin aid will tell you "no money"
admissions will tell you "thanks for your note, we've added it to your file"

I know, I've tried both places.

May I suggest going higher up the ladder?

Well my request didn't work out, which I'm ok with because I wasn't expecting anything. I do, however, feel a bit ashamed now for even asking them :oops: .
when did you make that request?
Maybe I'll make one too!
I sent an e-mail the other day...received a response the same day. Oh well, I woulda lol'ed at my request too.

publiuspublicola

Bronze

Post by publiuspublicola » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:34 pm

panadera wrote: Personally, I love UMN. I have family in Minneapolis, and I figured I could be happy there too. They also gave me an unconditional full-ride. I still picked WUSTL because Minnesota is seriously seriously cold, and it seems like WUSTL is stronger in this area (the midwest), whereas UMN would keep you in Minnesota/Wisconsin/etc.

But seriously.... It's so cold up there.... Weather doesn't seem like it would be a part of the decision-making process, but after talking to the family that lives there, it was.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll make a great decision regardless of what anyone in this (biased) thread might say. Good luck!
In fairness, Missouri is pretty cold and windy in the winter (not Minnesota cold however) BUT be forewarned -- it is hot and humid as hell in the summer. Miserable. So I guess the question is which sort of foul weather you prefer. Then again, you can always go elsewhere in the summer.

romothesavior wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
La Grind Date wrote:
camstant wrote:For you tennis people... I'd definitely be down. I played all growing up and used to teach lessons, actually, so it would be great to find some people who'd want to hit around sometime
i'm definitely down for tennis! i would love to play a few times a week, if not everyday
+1. I know there is a golf club, but I didn't see a tennis club. Maybe we could start one? The courts are right next to A-B Hall.
Wow this would be a WASP-y thing for me to do. Golf club AND tennis club? Haha... I sound like quite the country club kid. If you need me, I'll be wearing pastel-colored golf shorts and a Ralph Lauren polo with a sweater draped over top to compliment my wicked side part hair-do. And drinking a scotch on the rocks with a big cigar. :D

No but seriously... if we could get enough people, we could do some sort of tennis club.
Is no one the least bit interested in racquetball!?

NU_Jet55

Silver

Post by NU_Jet55 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:40 pm

publiuspublicola wrote:Is no one the least bit interested in racquetball!?
I've played raquetball twice. I'm horrible. And dangerous.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:44 pm

publiuspublicola wrote:
I would like to play more. It is a lotta fun.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

camstant

Bronze

Post by camstant » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:35 pm

romothesavior wrote:
publiuspublicola wrote:
I would like to play more. It is a lotta fun.
yeah, racquetball is a lot of fun, especially in the winter

publiuspublicola

Bronze

Post by publiuspublicola » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:39 pm

Sweet. I'll be glad to get some games going.

So I think a TLS Forum WUSTL 2013 Happy Hour is in order for sometime during or shortly before orientation week.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:57 pm

publiuspublicola wrote:Sweet. I'll be glad to get some games going.

So I think a TLS Forum WUSTL 2013 Happy Hour is in order for sometime during or shortly before orientation week.
I'm up for that.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:24 pm

Oh definitely... I've been thinking about it for a while. We should definitely do something when we all get there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mazzini

Bronze

Post by mazzini » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:35 pm

Word up. So when is everyone planning on actually moving to St. Louis? I am thinking of late July. I don't know if I can handle the heat/humidity.... actually really dreading it.

J-tow10

Bronze

Post by J-tow10 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:40 pm

Agreed! It would be nice to meet some people before orientation starts.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:41 pm

mazzini wrote:Word up. So when is everyone planning on actually moving to St. Louis? I am thinking of late July. I don't know if I can handle the heat/humidity.... actually really dreading it.
August 15th or 16th I think.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:01 pm

romothesavior wrote:
mazzini wrote:Word up. So when is everyone planning on actually moving to St. Louis? I am thinking of late July. I don't know if I can handle the heat/humidity.... actually really dreading it.
August 15th or 16th I think.
15th or 16th for me as well. but can we not call it a "TLS" outing? I already feel nerdy enough...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:50 am

Happy hour is a MUST! I know I'm speaking as an outsider in this thread now, but really, if you use your time wisely, you have time for a weekly bar review. Plus, the relationships you will develop by being social with your classmates will come in handy during school, and may be beneficial during your career.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:52 am

Sauer Grapes wrote:

Happy hour is a MUST! I know I'm speaking as an outsider in this thread now, but really, if you use your time wisely, you have time for a weekly bar review. Plus, the relationships you will develop by being social with your classmates will come in handy during school, and may be beneficial during your career.
Welcome back Sauer Grapes! Did you start classes yet?

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:57 am

romothesavior wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:

he's AJD at NU so yes, he started them

panadera

Bronze

Post by panadera » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:59 am

publiuspublicola wrote: In fairness, Missouri is pretty cold and windy in the winter (not Minnesota cold however) BUT be forewarned -- it is hot and humid as hell in the summer. Miserable. So I guess the question is which sort of foul weather you prefer. Then again, you can always go elsewhere in the summer.
Haha, I'm from this area, so I'm used to the heat. It's the blistering cold that scared me.

And I'm coming in on the 11th of August. I'd love to meet up with everyone!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

folgers

New

Post by folgers » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:33 am

panadera wrote:
publiuspublicola wrote: In fairness, Missouri is pretty cold and windy in the winter (not Minnesota cold however) BUT be forewarned -- it is hot and humid as hell in the summer. Miserable. So I guess the question is which sort of foul weather you prefer. Then again, you can always go elsewhere in the summer.
Haha, I'm from this area, so I'm used to the heat. It's the blistering cold that scared me.

And I'm coming in on the 11th of August. I'd love to meet up with everyone!

I'm from the Houston area where we had 35 straight days of 100+ temps and 100% humidity last summer, so I'm actually looking forward to the Missouri weather in August. But, the cold weather is a little scary to me too. It's a VERY big deal if it snows here and we rarely see temps below freezing.

I'll probably be moving up at near the start of August. Hope to meet up with everyone then too.

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:02 am

romothesavior wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:

Indeed, as flow stated, I have started. First final is in less than two weeks.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:13 am

Is anyone aware of a program at WUSTL in which students receive a free copy of Windows? I will need to get a copy of Windows, but don't want to pay for it if I don't have to.

edit: i'm not finding it. i thought it existed, but I may have been wrong.
Guess I'll call my friend that works at Microsoft and abuse their discount.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:12 am

Sauer Grapes wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:

Indeed, as flow stated, I have started. First final is in less than two weeks.

how is it? you're the first of us.. it's like elementary school gym class with that one kid who hit puberty early.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:38 am

publiuspublicola wrote:
In fairness, Missouri is pretty cold and windy in the winter (not Minnesota cold however) BUT be forewarned -- it is hot and humid as hell in the summer. Miserable. So I guess the question is which sort of foul weather you prefer. Then again, you can always go elsewhere in the summer.
Can't be any worse than where I live right now. Try 90+ and humid every day from the last week in May to the first week in October. I haven't seen snow in over 2 years, but I was born in Wisconsin, so I can handle the winters.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:41 am

JCougar wrote:
publiuspublicola wrote:
Can't be any worse than where I live right now. Try 90+ and humid every day from the last week in May to the first week in October. I haven't seen snow in over 2 years, but I was born in Wisconsin, so I can handle the winters.
I dunno... St. Louis summers aren't hotter temperature wise than most MW places, but they are unbearably humid. St. Louis in August makes you feel like you're walking through a glass of hot water.

And did you make your decision? I know you've been leaning in one direction, but I'm looking for an official proclamation.

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:45 am

JCougar wrote:
publiuspublicola wrote:
man, i'm moving from CA. weather will affect me pretty badly.... 70 degrees all year long to a place that actually has 4 different seasons. will be interesting to say the least.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:20 pm

romothesavior wrote: And did you make your decision? I know you've been leaning in one direction, but I'm looking for an official proclamation.
I'm making plans to move to St. Louis. I'll be withdrawing from Wisconsin later today. I was always going to do that, but I wanted to talk to some people about my decision first and not rush into anything.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”