WUSTL Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
fl0w

Silver

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Post by fl0w » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:08 am

romothesavior wrote:Gotcha... makes sense. I guess being 22 with no assets or property comes in handy sometimes haha. Either way, law school is a lot of money for the majority of people.
haha, owning nothing does have a few advantages, but there certainly is something to be said for owning property. And, while I will still get taxes on my income from leasing my home, i will also still get (an estimated) 3k back for my tax return because of the mortgage interest.

The world is a crazy place.

2013esq

Bronze

Post by 2013esq » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:13 pm

Nice pics Romo!! Definitely getting more and more excited about WUSTL each day!!

lsatbdog

New

Post by lsatbdog » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:55 pm

romothesavior wrote:
fl0w wrote:
drbulldog wrote:Thinking I may join you guys in the fall after getting in off the waitlist last week. I had pretty much decided not to go to law school, but was pretty surprised and excited to get in to WashU. However, I'm still not completely sure its a great idea and am worried about the debt. Crunching the numbers and doing honest math (accounting for yearly tuition hikes estimated at 8%, books, insurance etc), I would be looking at 90K or so in debt. It looks like many on this thread have very large scholarships, so how horrible does this sound to you? Also, can anyone provide details on WashU's LRAP? I also don't have a whole lot in the way of opportunity costs to consider, for whatever its worth. Thanks and maybe I will see you all in the fall.
just a bit of honesty for you... even with a 114k scholarship, i'll still have around 80k of debt after school is done. That's just how the world is.
Really? Factoring in my 25k/year scholarship and my saved funds from this summer, I'm looking at about 31-32k of debt this year. I'm thinking I'll be about 100k in debt or a little more after 3 years.

But yeah, drbulldog... do you want to be a lawyer? That is really the first question you have to ask yourself. If the answer is no, then definitely do not go to law school. Next, ask yourself where you want to practice. Do you want to practice/are you okay with practicing in the Midwest? If no, then WUSTL is probably not the school for you. If yes, then you have a tough decision to make. Do you wait a few years? Do you retake the LSAT? Or do you take the plunge now?
ETA: I posted as drbulldog, but then remembered I already had an account, soooo...

My debt is calculated very accurately and will be so low mainly due to a small scholarship and having zero living expenses (wouldn't even consider WashU without this factor to be honest). I'm thinking more and more that I will probably be joing you all in the fall!

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:22 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:
Stephanie13 wrote: I do really like other sorts of sports, e.g. basketball, soccer, volleyball..
I hope there are as many soccer fans as possible at Wash U. I never played it growing up, but since the '06 world cup and spending time in Central America where I couldn't help but learn about it, I've become a huge fan. World Cup anyone? My breakdown is as follows...
Passionate about:International Soccer, NFL
Casual Fan:College Football,College Basketball
I'll casually follow my preferred team if they make the playoffs:NBA (Thunder), MLB (Royals/Cards)Champion's League (Barca!)...sorry MLS
Wha?:NHL (I did watch the olympics though), Golf, Volleyball, Tennis, etc.
Since you like international soccer, do you watch rugby too? I like international soccer (well mostly just English soccer), but I'm pretty hardcore into rugby. I played for MSU's team, and my sevens team made it to the semis this year which is awesome. Any other rugby fans out there? If I have enough time I want to join a league in St. Louis.

Anybody die hard college basketball fans? I totally am, and it's going to suck not being in East Lansing when the preseason #1 Spartans kick some hardcore ass next year :(. It's going to suck to have no college basketball around (Well I guess there is Mizzou).

I love baseball though too, but I admit I haven't kept track of the national league in a long time (Go Tigers!). Do they have events like thirsty thursdays? If so we should all go!

PS-my scholly just got raised again, I'm super pumped!!! I'm loving St. Louis more and more each day!

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:25 pm

JCougar wrote:And to all the baseball fans out there: I'm a Tigers fan first and a Brewers fan second. So screw the Cardinals and the Cubs. :wink:
I freakin love you!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

youpiiz

Bronze

Post by youpiiz » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:26 pm

everyday im wustlinggg

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:30 pm

youpiiz wrote:everyday im wustlinggg
LOL awesome!

PS- romo the pics are great! any of them your handy work?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:33 pm

robin600 wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:
Stephanie13 wrote: I do really like other sorts of sports, e.g. basketball, soccer, volleyball..
I hope there are as many soccer fans as possible at Wash U. I never played it growing up, but since the '06 world cup and spending time in Central America where I couldn't help but learn about it, I've become a huge fan. World Cup anyone? My breakdown is as follows...
I'll casually follow my preferred team if they make the playoffs:NBA (Thunder), MLB (Royals/Cards)Champion's League (Barca!)...sorry MLS
Since you like international soccer, do you watch rugby too? I like international soccer (well mostly just English soccer), but I'm pretty hardcore into rugby. I played for MSU's team, and my sevens team made it to the semis this year which is awesome. Any other rugby fans out there? If I have enough time I want to join a league in St. Louis.

Anybody die hard college basketball fans? I totally am, and it's going to suck not being in East Lansing when the preseason #1 Spartans kick some hardcore ass next year :(. It's going to suck to have no college basketball around (Well I guess there is Mizzou).

I love baseball though too, but I admit I haven't kept track of the national league in a long time (Go Tigers!). Do they have events like thirsty thursdays? If so we should all go!

PS-my scholly just got raised again, I'm super pumped!!! I'm loving St. Louis more and more each day!
Congrats! I might contact them again about a scholly increase. I got denied before on an increase request, but a lot of people with similar numbers are getting 80k or even over 100k.

And even though Tom Izzo is the man, I hate Michigan State.

And nope... not my pictures.

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:36 pm

romothesavior wrote:
robin600 wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:

Congrats! I might contact them again about a scholly increase. I got denied before on an increase request, but a lot of people with similar numbers are getting 80k or even over 100k.

And even though Tom Izzo is the man, I hate Michigan State.

And nope... not my pictures.
Do you liike the the other State? If so, I just vomited in my mouth....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:39 pm

robin600 wrote: Do you liike the the other State? If so, I just vomited in my mouth....
--ImageRemoved--

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:48 pm

romothesavior wrote:
robin600 wrote: Do you liike the the other State? If so, I just vomited in my mouth....
--ImageRemoved--
Good, that's at least forgiveable.

nyyankees

Bronze

Post by nyyankees » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:55 pm

robin600 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
--ImageRemoved--
Good, that's at least forgiveable.
forgivable? how about laughable?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:57 pm

nyyankees wrote:
Oh ho HO! We got a real comic here. Illinois would have won the title that year if the refs hadn't let Sean May throw Augustine around like a rag doll.

And Illinois will win the Big Ten and make the Final Four by the time we graduate law school or I owe you all a round of pitchers.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

UF Gators

Bronze

Post by UF Gators » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:21 pm

I wish you were coming piiiiiz!

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:53 pm

romothesavior wrote:
nyyankees wrote:
Oh ho HO! We got a real comic here. Illinois would have won the title that year if the refs hadn't let Sean May throw Augustine around like a rag doll.

And Illinois will win the Big Ten and make the Final Four by the time we graduate law school or I owe you all a round of pitchers.
so uh, when are those pitchers coming? J/K :lol:

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:55 pm

robin600 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
nyyankees wrote:

so uh, when are those pitchers coming? J/K :lol:
3L year. I figure I should be able to afford plenty of pitchers after my SA at K&E. :D

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:57 pm

UF Gators wrote:
And uh... who are you two? :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

UF Gators

Bronze

Post by UF Gators » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:37 pm

romothesavior wrote:
UF Gators wrote:
future classmate :P

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:38 pm

UF Gators wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
UF Gators wrote:
future classmate :P
Both of you? Or just you? Or just him?

Haha sorry for the interrogation, just haven't seen you around these parts... Welcome aboard.

UF Gators

Bronze

Post by UF Gators » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:13 pm

romothesavior wrote:
UF Gators wrote: future classmate :P
Both of you? Or just you? Or just him?

Haha sorry for the interrogation, just haven't seen you around these parts... Welcome aboard.
Oh no it's just me, I dont leave the lounge much :oops: . Thanks for the welcome!

2013esq

Bronze

Post by 2013esq » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:14 pm

How are people getting scholarship increases? I already have a pretty big one, but was hoping for more (who isn't?!). I'm a bit reluctant to send my signed financial aid letter back just in case I may be able to get more. I requested an increase and was told no - should I just accept what I have?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:42 pm

2013esq wrote:How are people getting scholarship increases? I already have a pretty big one, but was hoping for more (who isn't?!). I'm a bit reluctant to send my signed financial aid letter back just in case I may be able to get more. I requested an increase and was told no - should I just accept what I have?
were you given a reason why your request was not granted? like did they say something along the lines of "yada yada yada....no more money" ?? if this is true i guess you could ask again since it looks like they have the money now (or at least very recently) to increase scholarships.

mazzini

Bronze

Post by mazzini » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:48 pm

I got denied on my first scholly increase request. They stated that they had no money to give at that time. I sent a second request yesterday, I'm expecting to get denied again but it's worth a shot.

myq

Bronze

Post by myq » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:49 pm

I sent a short, shameless e-mail to them. I didn't expect to get anything - I have no other scholarships to leverage and I withdrew from all my acceptances. They raised my scholarship by 2k per year. Hey, I'll take it.

mazzini

Bronze

Post by mazzini » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:53 pm

myq wrote:I sent a short, shameless e-mail to them. I didn't expect to get anything - I have no other scholarships to leverage and I withdrew from all my acceptances. They raised my scholarship by 2k per year. Hey, I'll take it.
Nice work. I hope my request pays off, even in the slightest.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”