WUSTL Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
camstant

Bronze

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Post by camstant » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:38 pm

nyyankees wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Anybody know what the curve is set to at WUSTL and what the grade distribution is?

(Not that it really matters... I plan to book every class and outgun all of you (especially nyyankees) on my way to a 4.0 and a SCOTUS clerkship, so I'm not real concerned about the curve. :D )

whoa whoa whoa, I wasnt gonna let you in on how ive been spending my time, but i believe my good gunner name has been questioned and it sounds like you are challenging me to a gun-off. Little do you know my friend, that i have been reviewing cases for the last six months for each of my first semester classes. I found all the t14 schools that post their exams online and have been working backwards from there until i felt that i could ace the exams. Right now im done with civ pro, torts and conlaw and im working on evidence now. You cant out gun me, not now, not ever. Youre more screwed than the cowboys kicking an extra point with romo as the holder.

WHAT NOW BIATCH!
Hopefully you remember it all when second semester rolls around :wink:

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:25 pm

camstant wrote:Bought it. Read it. Good Luck.
What did you buy and read?

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:54 pm

Went to the housing day today and loved it! Great opportunity to meet new classmates and see all of the neighborhoods. My personal favorite was dogtown because it's the irish district and reasonably priced. I found a great HUGE one bedroom (living room, dining room and study plus bedroom) for $480 a month with everything included, right next door to an irish pub that plays rugby matches. I'M IN LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!! Plus the guy that lives about this apartment is totally hot and we are both Spartan alums... :) CWE was more cosmo, but I have a feeling that living there I wouldn't be able to know my neighbors, where in dogtown I would. I really liked UCity a lot too, and it's def. not as bad as anyone might have heard. Current law students who lived there now were there on the tour and assured me it's a very safe place and nobody they know of feels uncomfortable.

PS- if for some reason you can't make it to st. louis before you move in, the admissions staff will go and actually check out an apartment you are interested in and tell you if it's a good deal/good place/safe/close/etc... Just give them a call. Most accommodating admissions staff I've met so far!

Oh lord, more apartment tours tomorrow...SO MUCH FUN!

On another note- ND called back today they told me they are only calling those they are interested in (well not those exact words but same message) and will give us seats when they get the official count in one-two weeks, right now is a rough estimate. Shit, this is going to be a rough week!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:59 pm

^^^ :D

That's awesome. Glad you finally got to see everything. What'd you think of AB Hall and campus? Pretty sweet isn't it?

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:07 pm

romothesavior wrote:^^^ :D

That's awesome. Glad you finally got to see everything. What'd you think of AB Hall and campus? Pretty sweet isn't it?
So pretty!!!! it's very old, ivy league-ish on the outside, and on the inside it's very modern and nice. Roomy and accommodating. One caveat, in the classroom we were in there were no plugs for laptops on the desk/table things. It was a larger 1L classroom across from the courtyard (which was awesome). IDK if all classrooms are like this or not, only saw that one.

Ate at The Hill last night, AMAZING Italian food for super cheap (we ate at some hole in the wall). Off to a Cardinals game tomorrow, and maybe the Busch tour tomorrow if time (and if US loses in FIFA), plus more tours. If anyone is interested PM me for more details on specific building and companies.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:09 pm

robin600 wrote:

So pretty!!!! it's very old, ivy league-ish on the outside, and on the inside it's very modern and nice. Roomy and accommodating. One caveat, in the classroom we were in there were no plugs for laptops on the desk/table things. It was a larger 1L classroom across from the courtyard (which was awesome). IDK if all classrooms are like this or not, only saw that one.

Ate at The Hill last night, AMAZING Italian food for super cheap (we ate at some hole in the wall). Off to a Cardinals game tomorrow, and maybe the Busch tour tomorrow if time (and if US loses in FIFA), plus more tours. If anyone is interested PM me for more details on specific building and companies.
My must do check-list for people going to STL is:

-AB Brewery Tour
-Cardinals Game
-Eat at the Hill

Looks like you did good.

nyyankees

Bronze

Post by nyyankees » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:18 am

romothesavior wrote:
robin600 wrote:

My must do check-list for people going to STL is:

-AB Brewery Tour
-Cardinals Game
-Eat at the Hill

Looks like you did good.
yeah good work, i need to get on that, immediately. haha

rhit2004

New

Post by rhit2004 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:57 am

robin600 wrote:

Some of the classrooms have plugs mounted to the underside of the tables at the very back. I am pretty sure that is where they are located in the classroom you described. If you were not specifically searching out a plug you would likely not find it hidden down there. Other classrooms have plugs mounted in flip up covers on the desk surface. I have yet to find a classroom that doesn't have power outlets.

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:41 pm

rhit2004 wrote:
robin600 wrote:

Some of the classrooms have plugs mounted to the underside of the tables at the very back. I am pretty sure that is where they are located in the classroom you described. If you were not specifically searching out a plug you would likely not find it hidden down there. Other classrooms have plugs mounted in flip up covers on the desk surface. I have yet to find a classroom that doesn't have power outlets.
Good to know!! and I'm officially coming to WUSTL over ND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't give up 60k, just can't. AND I LOVE ST. LOUIS!!! Signed an apartment lease today, great two bedroom right by ciceros!!! I'm living with a MSW student who's great! I can't wait to meet you all (and outgun all of you) in the fall! :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:41 pm

There will be no outgunning me. I'm bringing a pedestal to every class to hold my hand up in the air the whole time. I will provide the exact right answer to every question, plus I will raise my own hypotheticals based on my personal life in every class. I've already read all the E&Es and taken practice tests in all my first year classes. :wink:

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:10 pm

Left STL today :(
Got to see a Cardinal's game yesterday, although Carpenter's pitching wasn't the greatest in the second inning, it was still amazing! A lot of pride (my mom actually got glared at because she was cheering for the A's, she's still very bitter Detroit lost the world series to the Cards 4 years ago).
Oh and a student told me that he would not recommend loop lofts, apparently whenever it rains heavily it floods rather easily. Another student recommended it though, so I guess a toss up.
If anyone is looking for a great apartment in dogtown (the old irish neighborhood), next to an Irish pub that plays rugby call the Shamrock paper company. I was so bummed they didn't have two bedrooms. Anyways it's a one bedroom for 490 a month with three HUGE rooms and a nice porch and gas is included. The apt. is at Oakland and Sanford and is two blocks away from the shuttle, and a 7 min. commute. I almost signed a lease with them, but I couldn't leave me amazing roomie in the dust.

ta06fsu

New

Post by ta06fsu » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:43 pm

Absolutely love the outgunning trash talk lol.

Stephanie13

Bronze

Post by Stephanie13 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:00 pm

Found a fantastic apartment this weekend. Getting super pumped about Wash U now!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:34 pm

Stephanie13 wrote:Found a fantastic apartment this weekend. Getting super pumped about Wash U now!
nice....studio?

Stephanie13

Bronze

Post by Stephanie13 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:48 pm

najumobi wrote:
Stephanie13 wrote:Found a fantastic apartment this weekend. Getting super pumped about Wash U now!
nice....studio?
1 bed/1 ba. Splurged a little since I fell in love with it..

nyyankees

Bronze

Post by nyyankees » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:50 pm

Stephanie13 wrote:
najumobi wrote:
nice....studio?
where you gonna be?

Stephanie13

Bronze

Post by Stephanie13 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:06 pm

nyyankees wrote:
Stephanie13 wrote:
najumobi wrote:
nice....studio?
where you gonna be?
PMed

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

J-tow10

Bronze

Post by J-tow10 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:54 pm

For those of you who already have an apartment, how long did it take you to find something you liked? I'll be headed down this coming Sunday and leaving Wednesday, so I'll only really have Monday and Tuesday to find an apartment (in addition to touring the A-B factory :D ).

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:24 pm

Stephanie13 wrote:
nyyankees wrote:
Stephanie13 wrote:1 bed/1 ba. Splurged a little since I fell in love with it..
where you gonna be?
PMed
PM me too, I wanna hear. I'm happy for ya!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:25 pm

J-tow10 wrote:For those of you who already have an apartment, how long did it take you to find something you liked? I'll be headed down this coming Sunday and leaving Wednesday, so I'll only really have Monday and Tuesday to find an apartment (in addition to touring the A-B factory :D ).
That should be plenty of time if you do your homework before you go. My roommate and I found an apartment in about 2 hours, which left us with sufficient time for a stroll around campus, adult beverages and a Cardinals game.

Stephanie13

Bronze

Post by Stephanie13 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:41 pm

romothesavior wrote:
J-tow10 wrote:For those of you who already have an apartment, how long did it take you to find something you liked? I'll be headed down this coming Sunday and leaving Wednesday, so I'll only really have Monday and Tuesday to find an apartment (in addition to touring the A-B factory :D ).
That should be plenty of time if you do your homework before you go. My roommate and I found an apartment in about 2 hours, which left us with sufficient time for a stroll around campus, adult beverages and a Cardinals game.
+1 I had 3 appointments set up for Saturday and by the end of them I already knew what I wanted and now I'm about to mail in my signed lease!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

J-tow10

Bronze

Post by J-tow10 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:44 pm

Stephanie13 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
+1 I had 3 appointments set up for Saturday and by the end of them I already knew what I wanted and now I'm about to mail in my signed lease!
Thanks guys! I have a list of places/companies I want to look into so I hope to make some calls tomorrow to set up appointments for next week.

2013esq

Bronze

Post by 2013esq » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:50 pm

Romo - I'm down for the August Cards game. I can't wait to see Pujols!

As far as the gunning goes - I don't even know what E&Es are so I guess I'm already screwed.

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:14 am

J-tow10 wrote:
Stephanie13 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Thanks guys! I have a list of places/companies I want to look into so I hope to make some calls tomorrow to set up appointments for next week.
I went down for the housing day, then signed my lease the next day. It was really easy. If anyone is looking at Quadrangle, they said that right now spaces are becoming more limited because right now is the main season for all graduate students to get housing. Also Park Clayton apartments were good for those looking for one or two bedrooms (they were a close second for me).

folgers

New

Post by folgers » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:15 pm

I am sitting in Lambert Airport in St. Louis waiting for my flight back home which is delayed, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to run through my experiences while they were still fresh on my mind. I was here for Saturday, Sunday and Monday. First off -

Tour of Wash U - I think it is a given at this point that the campus is absolutely fantastic. The architecture, library (especially the reading room), and grounds are just so nice. I can't think of a place I'd rather spend the next three years. The staff was really personable and made my parents and I feel extremely welcomed. The girl who gave us the tour was very informative about the AB hall and campus. We sat down with an admissions dean and she answered any other questions we had. My parents would like me to return to my home state after graduation, so they even took us over to the CSO and we spoke with Mike who had just returned from speaking with the biggest firms there to promote Wash U. Also, I thought it was nice that the admissions dean was honest about how tough the employment market is everywhere right now and even had some yearly numbers for comparison. Definitely worth the trip just for the tour.

Ok, now for the main part of the way I spent my time, apartment hunting -

Clayton-
909 St. Rita - This is a one bedroom I found on Craigslist. It's in a four room 1920's building and the guy has rehabbed it nicely. Great kitchen, stainless steel appliances, hardwood floors, washer and dryer in basement. $795/month. Really close to school. It was nice and all, but it was the first place I saw when I got there so I ended up not picking it. The landlord is really a nice guy though.

The Dorchester, 665 S. Skinker - Even closer to school, 24hr/doorman, $70/month garage valet parking, GREAT views. We were shown 4 one bedroom plans, A,B,C, & J. All were great apartments - nice carpet, black or stainless appliances, balcony, that motel sort of air conditioner where it is enclosed and next to the window, laundry room in the basement, house cleaning for $15/hr. They were all expensive though at between $990-$1325/month. They were my fourth choice, but after driving around a little I decided Clayton wasn't really the place I wanted to be.

CWE -
I loved this area! I knew I probably would from what I'd seen and read, but it has a great feel to it. Lots of outdoor eating, people on the street, coffee shops, etc. and it's only a 5 to 7 minute drive compared to a 2 or 4 minute drive from Clayton. Clayton felt just a little too residential. I like to study from home, so I'd rather walk down the street and grab some food real quick than driving cause parking can be a real hassle just about everywhere. As far as the CWE goes, Euclid, Maryland Ave and Lindell are all great with lots of options.

4444 W. Park - One bedroom for $950/month. I think everything is included except cable. This place was nice too. Loft style, so your bedroom is upstairs. The unit is on the top floor and a corner unit, but it is occupied so they just showed us the model. Black appliances, carpet, balcony, courtyard for building parties, central air, nice staff. It was a little east of where I wanted to be, but the main problem was it wasn't available until Sept. 1st. They give you the first month of rent free so they suggested I could just stay in a hotel for two weeks with that money and then move in, but I didn't want to move twice. That just sounded like a real hassle right at the start of the school year. They said they might have one bedrooms open up after July 1st. Parking underground for $70/month.

The President on Lindell - This place wasn't what I was looking for. It's a good location, close to lots of restaurants, bars, etc., but it just felt a little dated to me. We saw some buildings that were built at the same time that had just been rehabbed a bit better so maybe that was what turned me off. Also, the unit they showed us was under heavy construction so that didn't help much either. I think the one bed was $800 or $850 but I kinda figured out I didn't want to live there before the tour was over so I stopped paying attention. Nice hardwood floors though, but that's all I remember.

Lindell Terrace, 4501 Lindell - This was my third choice. Found the listing on Craigslist. 1 bed/$935 everything included except phone. That also includes an underground parking. Nice building with 24hr doorman. Great location too, had hardwood floors, big bathroom, big bedroom. They were also upgrading the counter tops to granite. Just decided to go with another place.

Metro Lofts, 4535 Forest Park Ave - This place is super nice but expensive. Polished concrete floors, brand new appliances, nice open floor plan, secure entry, underground parking for $70. I think most everything is included except cable. The unit we looked at was "on sale" which was just $100 difference but made it some what more reasonable. I really liked the location cause it's a short walk to everything and you just jump on Forest Park to get to the school and you're there without more than one or two red lights (which seem to be incredibly long by the way). This was my 2nd choice, absolutely great place.

The Grove -
The rent cannot be beat in this area. It's on the south east corner of forest park. It is pretty far from school and like Flow said in the review early, while it is supposed to be the new up and coming area, I think it may be a few years before it's there yet. We looked at two places on Gibson and both the landlords lived close by and said there were no problems. I figure it's safe but it just different than what you get in Clayton, CWE or Dogtown.

4515 Gibson and 4421 Gibson - I'll give my review of both at the same time as they were pretty much the same. 1920's building rehabbed but done extremely well. Hardwood floors in both, stainless appliances, off street parking behind the units. $750 and $735/month. I really thought 4421 Gibson was the nicer of the two and in the better location. For me the neighborhood, the distance from school and a 10 to 15 minute walk to the nearest Metrolink if I decided to use it, were what kept me from wanting to be in the Grove.

Finally - St. Louis

The city is great. Everything is pretty close together which is different coming from Houston. I can be at school and be down town 10 or 15 minutes later. Forest Park was of course wonderful. We ate great restaurants, sub-zero, drunken fish, blue elephant, pappy's smokehouse bbq(a must) and mama's something in the hill. In the hill, be aware that pretty much everything is closed on Sundays. Also, St. Louis Bread Co. has great sandwiches and are located on just about every corner it seems. Chris's Pancakes has great breakfast too. We went through the arch, toured AB, but didn't make it to a Cards game. Just so happened we were there on the three hottest days of the year according to the news. Everyday it hit 97 at least. I think that is everything I can think of. If you have any questions, just let me know. We drove around the city what seemed like a hundred times.

Hope this helps. The admissions office said they are also happy to help you find an apt. if you need them to.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”