WUSTL Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
fl0w

Silver

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Post by fl0w » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:03 am

I know I'm fooling myself but after looking at my actual daily schedule and comparing it to what I've been used to for 5 years of consulting... it doesn't seem like it could possibly be THAT bad. I know there is a lot of reading and stuff, but never starting before 9am and never ending after 2pm seems like the ultimate vacation.

It's got to be a trap.

Total Litigator

Silver

Post by Total Litigator » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:20 am

Although class is very important, the amount of time you'll actually spend in class is substantially lower than the time spent you'll spend studying. Although you have classes from 9am until 2pm, your day will mostly likely end around 7pm or later... of course it's all up to you and how much time you decide to spend studying.... For some people that I've talked to who've made to the top of the class (at other schools, but I don't think that makes too big of a difference), the studying is constant, and they put in 70+ hours a week, including 4 to 6 hours on both Saturday and Sunday.

HAMBONE

New

Post by HAMBONE » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:06 am

myq wrote:
HAMBONE wrote:

Norwood: Exam was one standard issue spotter essay question and a hilarious multiple choice section with about 60 questions
What was hilarious about it? Easy?
I thought it was pretty easy but others thought different. The funny part was that she uses the names of the people in the class for her questions in the mc section. It was hilarious to see the gunners die a random gruesome death due to negligence or some other tort. You could hear people burst out laughing throughout the exam

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:35 am

Total Litigator wrote:Although class is very important, the amount of time you'll actually spend in class is substantially lower than the time spent you'll spend studying. Although you have classes from 9am until 2pm, your day will mostly likely end around 7pm or later... of course it's all up to you and how much time you decide to spend studying.... For some people that I've talked to who've made to the top of the class (at other schools, but I don't think that makes too big of a difference), the studying is constant, and they put in 70+ hours a week, including 4 to 6 hours on both Saturday and Sunday.
holy shmokies..... is that 70 hours including class time? i was thinking 40 hours a week not including class time would be enough....
EDIT: woops...i guess that means 70 hours/week including class time since only 4 to 6 hours on both saturday and sunday

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:55 am

Total Litigator wrote:Although class is very important, the amount of time you'll actually spend in class is substantially lower than the time spent you'll spend studying. Although you have classes from 9am until 2pm, your day will mostly likely end around 7pm or later... of course it's all up to you and how much time you decide to spend studying.... For some people that I've talked to who've made to the top of the class (at other schools, but I don't think that makes too big of a difference), the studying is constant, and they put in 70+ hours a week, including 4 to 6 hours on both Saturday and Sunday.
that's cool. i do actually plan to have somewhat of a life while going to law school as well. It really does depend on the person.

Even so, 9am-7pm is basically a work day. If you can't tell, I plan to treat this very much like a job.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Total Litigator

Silver

Post by Total Litigator » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:57 am

Yes, that is it, about 70 hours including class time, although I'm sure you'd be able to find somebody who studies 70 hours + class time, lol. I personally was slightly above my school's median GPA right and right at the median LSAT, and for the most part (except before a paper was due or during finals) I treated law school like an 8am to 8pm, meaning I woke up at 8am, had my first class at 9am, took an hour for lunch, and finished studying around at 8 at night, and wound up top 33%. I have a friend who was slightly below the median GPA and LSAT, and he studied about 80+ hours a week (including class time) and wound up in the top 5%. And of course there are the anomalies who spend 40 hours a week or so on law school and end up in the top 15%, but these people are by far the exception to the rule.

40 hours a week + class time is probably fine. If you do that plus study smart (use supplements, outline, learn how to take a law school exam) I think one should end up above median.

Disclaimer: My 1L was not at Wash U, (it was at a 50-60th ranked school). However, I got the impression that flow thought law school was a 9am to 2pm thing and I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents before he walked right into a trap.
Last edited by Total Litigator on Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Total Litigator

Silver

Post by Total Litigator » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:02 pm

fl0w wrote: that's cool. i do actually plan to have somewhat of a life while going to law school as well. It really does depend on the person.

Even so, 9am-7pm is basically a work day. If you can't tell, I plan to treat this very much like a job.
Lol, I just wanted to make sure you weren't serious. And yes, I think studying hard works better when you let yourself blow off some steam on friday or saturday. Maaaybbbeeee a game of golf during the week.

That's just me though. My impression was that the large majority of the people in the illustrious top 10% studied a lot, but I know for a fact there were a few people in there who managed to balance studying and being social pretty well.
Last edited by Total Litigator on Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HAMBONE

New

Post by HAMBONE » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:04 pm

hours/week tend to fluctuate a lot depending on the work load. Only thing I will add to the above discussion is that weeks when the memos are due are absolutely brutal. Those things take forever because its graded and you feel like its something that has to be perfect. just work on the memo diligently and try to do your reading for the week early since you will be panicking about the memo later

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:14 pm

Total Litigator wrote: Disclaimer: My 1L was not at Wash U, (it was at a 50-60th ranked school). However, I got the impression that flow thought law school was a 9am to 2pm thing and I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents before he walked right into a trap.
--ImageRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

camstant

Bronze

Post by camstant » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:26 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Total Litigator wrote: Disclaimer: My 1L was not at Wash U, (it was at a 50-60th ranked school). However, I got the impression that flow thought law school was a 9am to 2pm thing and I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents before he walked right into a trap.
--ImageRemoved--
Did Ole Miss' ever go through with that mascot?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:33 pm

camstant wrote: Did Ole Miss' ever go through with that mascot?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Also, one more PSA: I still have one ticket left for the game if anybody wants to go (or if anybody has an SO who wants to tag along). Or if anybody knows someone that you've met (thru Sonnenschein sp??) or the coffee thing, ask them.

Total Litigator

Silver

Post by Total Litigator » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:38 pm

romothesavior wrote:
--ImageRemoved--
Ahhh, I almost included this in my original response but I didn't. Way to go the extra mile lol

Harry Ballsogna

New

Post by Harry Ballsogna » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:46 pm

For you guys and gals that are already in STL - how is the gym? I don't care about new fancy machines, etc... Is it a good place to actually lift weights? Plenty of benches, squat racks and all that?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:12 pm

m
Last edited by Oban on Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrgth51453

New

Post by mrgth51453 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:55 pm

For what it's worth, I never worked 70 hour weeks at WashU, Probably not even 40 hour weeks, including the class time... little busier toward finals and around memos, but it's entirely possible to have a normal life, take weekends off, etc. and do well in 1L... I knew people that worked 70+ hours and excelled and 70+ hours and were dead median... Don't feel like you have to outwork to do well or that you need to keep biglaw hours.

mountaintime

Bronze

Post by mountaintime » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:37 pm

what kind of battery life do we need for our laptops? are we able to plug them in during exams? i am having trouble finding this info on the schools website.

mrgth51453

New

Post by mrgth51453 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:38 pm

Finals are 3 or 4 hours usually, but you can plug it in during them (plug next to just about every seat in most classrooms)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

publiuspublicola

Bronze

Post by publiuspublicola » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:51 pm

D 3.
You sunk my battleship.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:42 pm

publiuspublicola wrote:D 3.
You sunk my battleship.
ha

motedust

Bronze

Post by motedust » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:54 pm

So I just did the Orientation Service Project sign-up,
Choices:
Animal Protective Association (APA) of Missouri: 3
Covenant House St. Louis: 5
Forest Park Forever: 1
Gateway Greening: 2
The Green Center: 4

And did someone say 40s?? Cause uh yeah I'ma have to get in on that shit.

llfurby

New

Post by llfurby » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:17 pm

Two things:

B8 anybody?

Also, anyone else see the assigned readings for orientation? If not, its on mylaw( use your webstac login info)
https://law.wustl.edu/orientation/pages.aspx?id=8182

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

publiuspublicola

Bronze

Post by publiuspublicola » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:25 pm

Help! I bought some furniture today and there is 1 box I can't get into my place by myself (and is probably too heavy for my wife to help). Anyone already around or not mind coming to DeMun to help me move it in?

Here's the deal:
1) Only 1 box. Super quick and easy.
2) We can go grab a beer at Katie's Pizza after (or coffee at Kaldi's if you prefer)
3) Needs to be between 2-4:00 pm
4) No judging the current state of my apt, which still has boxes and stuff everywhere

PM me if interested w/ your phone#. FYI, I'll be away from the computer until about 1:30 so expect to hear from me around then...

welkyn

New

Post by welkyn » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:16 pm

just picked up my books, so thick and heavy!

publiuspublicola

Bronze

Post by publiuspublicola » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:25 pm

publiuspublicola wrote:Help! I bought some furniture today and there is 1 box I can't get into my place by myself (and is probably too heavy for my wife to help). Anyone already around or not mind coming to DeMun to help me move it in?

Here's the deal:
1) Only 1 box. Super quick and easy.
2) We can go grab a beer at Katie's Pizza after (or coffee at Kaldi's if you prefer)
3) Needs to be between 2-4:00 pm
4) No judging the current state of my apt, which still has boxes and stuff everywhere

PM me if interested w/ your phone#. FYI, I'll be away from the computer until about 1:30 so expect to hear from me around then...
Bummer. No takers?

folgers

New

Post by folgers » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:43 pm

I'd help ya move the box if I didn't have to go home and shower and stuff to get ready to go to the game tonight. If you still need to move it tomorrow just let me know and I'll help out. I'll pm ya.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”