WUSTL Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
finalaspects

Gold

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Post by finalaspects » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:36 am

mbaino wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
2013esq wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
man, i'm moving from CA. weather will affect me pretty badly.... 70 degrees all year long to a place that actually has 4 different seasons. will be interesting to say the least.
I'll be arriving in STL at the end of July so if there are any other early-birds I'd love to get together. Otherwise I'm down for an August TLS nerd fest/happy hour.
There is something to be said for having all 4 seasons. I actually love it... I've got a much more diversified wardrobe as a result.
As someone from California who has gone to wustl for the past four years, I will officially state that having all four seasons is overrated. I hate winter with a passion.
i have a feeling i'll feel the same way. i might enjoy the first few days with the snow but that's probably it.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:15 pm

La Grind Date wrote:
najumobi wrote:
J-tow10 wrote: Well a little bit less snow/cold at least. I think I read average annual snowfall is ~6 inches in STL?
that's not too bad. i think st. louis has the mildest winters of all midwestern cities. i would not be able to take the low 30s average high during the winter months in minneapolis.
such little snow is a bad thing! with that amount, you can't have snowball fights, you can't dive into piles of snow, & you can't play football on the street without fearing scrapes and bruises!

that being said, i'll be OK.
TITCR. Cold winters with heavy snow is far better than a warmish "blah" type winter. I live about 2 hours north of St. Louis, and the weather cycle in the winter is just annoying. It gets cold and snows, then it warms up and melts into sloppy mush, then it gets cold again and freezes into ice, then it melts almost entirely, and then a week later it snows again just enough to repeat the cycle. Lower Midwestern winters are a slushy, sloppy, wet mess... you definitely don't get the heavy snowfalls and you rarely get the picturesque types of snow that you'd get in Minnesota or Michigan.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:35 pm

romothesavior wrote:
La Grind Date wrote:
najumobi wrote:
J-tow10 wrote: Well a little bit less snow/cold at least. I think I read average annual snowfall is ~6 inches in STL?
that's not too bad. i think st. louis has the mildest winters of all midwestern cities. i would not be able to take the low 30s average high during the winter months in minneapolis.
such little snow is a bad thing! with that amount, you can't have snowball fights, you can't dive into piles of snow, & you can't play football on the street without fearing scrapes and bruises!

that being said, i'll be OK.
TITCR. Cold winters with heavy snow is far better than a warmish "blah" type winter. I live about 2 hours north of St. Louis, and the weather cycle in the winter is just annoying. It gets cold and snows, then it warms up and melts into sloppy mush, then it gets cold again and freezes into ice, then it melts almost entirely, and then a week later it snows again just enough to repeat the cycle. Lower Midwestern winters are a slushy, sloppy, wet mess... you definitely don't get the heavy snowfalls and you rarely get the picturesque types of snow that you'd get in Minnesota or Michigan.
ah yeah ...that's exactly what i hate about central and eastern NC snow (the few times a year we get any).

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:09 pm

fl0w wrote:
vmmf wrote:Guys, does anyone intend to bring a Mac to school?

WUSTL's website says that ExamSoft (presumably their exam-taking program) is not compatible with Macs. However, ExamSoft's FAQ on their website says that it is compatible with Mac's new OS, Snow Leopard. Is WUSTL's warning simply outdated, or am I missing something?

Sorry if this has already been answered before.
You misread ExamSoft's website
ExamSoft wrote: In order to use SofTest on your Apple Macbook or Macbook Pro, you must have:

* Mac OS X Snow Leopard (v. 10.6) or Mac OS X Leopard (v. 10.5) AND
* A valid copy of Windows XP, Vista or 7 installed using Apple's Bootcamp Assistant
That being said, yes, I am bringing a mac.

Edit: to clarify, ExamSoft's exam software is not compatible with Mac OS X. It is compatible with windows. The way to solve this with a Mac is to install windows on the mac using Apple's Bootcamp Assistant.
OK so I just bought a mac and I then i bought vmware fusion 3. Is that going to work to run the program. Do I need to install windows too? Grrr!

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:19 pm

publiuspublicola wrote:Sweet. I'll be glad to get some games going.

So I think a TLS Forum WUSTL 2013 Happy Hour is in order for sometime during or shortly before orientation week.
Yes! It will be like the last supper.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:15 pm

robin600 wrote:
fl0w wrote:

WUSTL's website says that ExamSoft (presumably their exam-taking program) is not compatible with Macs. However, ExamSoft's FAQ on their website says that it is compatible with Mac's new OS, Snow Leopard. Is WUSTL's warning simply outdated, or am I missing something?

ExamSoft wrote: In order to use SofTest on your Apple Macbook or Macbook Pro, you must have:

* A valid copy of Windows XP, Vista or 7 installed using Apple's Bootcamp Assistant

Edit: to clarify, ExamSoft's exam software is not compatible with Mac OS X. It is compatible with windows. The way to solve this with a Mac is to install windows on the mac using Apple's Bootcamp Assistant.
OK so I just bought a mac and I then i bought vmware fusion 3. Is that going to work to run the program. Do I need to install windows too? Grrr!
You should return vmware fusion 3 if you can. it will NOT run examsoft. you need to install a copy of WINDOWS using BOOTCAMP ASSISTANT.

You don't need to install Windows "too", you should have installed windows "only" and not installed vmware.

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:29 pm

fl0w wrote:
robin600 wrote:
fl0w wrote:

You should return vmware fusion 3 if you can. it will NOT run examsoft. you need to install a copy of WINDOWS using BOOTCAMP ASSISTANT.

You don't need to install Windows "too", you should have installed windows "only" and not installed vmware.
Where do I get bootcamp assistant?

myq

Bronze

Post by myq » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:45 am

Any idea when we find out our section and schedule and that kind of stuff? What about e-mail addresses?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:49 pm

myq wrote:Any idea when we find out our section and schedule and that kind of stuff? What about e-mail addresses?
My guess would be orientation, but I'm not really sure.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Harry Ballsogna

New

Post by Harry Ballsogna » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:39 pm

Seems like a lot of the good choices for the Central West End are disappearing off craigslist. Maybe I'm just freaking out though? Anyone have specific buildings or agencies they recommend for the CWE area?

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:57 pm

Harry Ballsogna wrote:Seems like a lot of the good choices for the Central West End are disappearing off craigslist. Maybe I'm just freaking out though? Anyone have specific buildings or agencies they recommend for the CWE area?
Frontdoorstl.com seems to be popular but expensive IMO

myq

Bronze

Post by myq » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:43 am

Harry Ballsogna wrote:Seems like a lot of the good choices for the Central West End are disappearing off craigslist. Maybe I'm just freaking out though? Anyone have specific buildings or agencies they recommend for the CWE area?
Hi, I have never been to St. Louis (so I have never seen any of these buildings). But I did some research online, looked at a lot of review sites, etc. These were some that seemed recommended that I wrote down and maybe you could check out. I looked for studios/one bedrooms though. A few pages back fl0w posted about his search and having actually been to St. Louis his post will be way more useful than mine.

4515 Lindell
Studio $450-550, 1BR $600-700, does not include utilities.
http://leerealtyproperties.com/features ... tures.html
Tall building. Reviews say age of the building is sometimes a problem but staff is very good. On-street parking. The lady I called said she will have availability.

The Carleton
Studio $750, 1 bedroom more than that
http://www.frontdoorstl.com/?pg=propert ... 616lindell
This is where I ended up (partly due to fl0w's review). Rent includes utilities and Internet. The inside is new with hardwood floors, stainless steel appliances, central air, washer and dryer in every apartment. Garage parking available. However, my 415 sq. foot studio is very small and, while the building itself got lots of good reviews, people complained about a staff that ignores maintenance requests. Not sure if they'll have availability - they told me my studio was the only one available although I don't know if that's just to scare me into renting immediately.

The President
--LinkRemoved--
Large 1BR $850
Building is old and looks really nice. Rent includes utilities. Garage parking available. When I called, they only had a large 1BR with a mini-office for $850, but said other places including studios might be opening up.

Other places with good reviews that I didn't end up really investigating:
The Chesterfield (--LinkRemoved--)
3949 Lindell (very expensive, --LinkRemoved--)
Del Coronado

jc631

New

Post by jc631 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:48 am

I loved Park 44! I didn't see the studios but the one bedrooms were gorgeous duplex/lofts that have either a patio or a balcony. The one bedrooms were 700 or 800 (the more expensive had 1 1/2 bath) and I think everything except for cable is included. All the apartments are updated and they have guaranteed parking which is great.

The Towne House apartments were also really nice but they have a waitlist for a parking spot, so if you're bringing a car you'd have to street park for a few months. The studios there were huge! They also have a doorman, pool, and are setting up a nicer fitness center. I can't remember how much they cost but I think they were around the same as Park 44.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:25 am

robin600 wrote: Where do I get bootcamp assistant?
it comes installed on your new mac.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:29 am

robin600 wrote:
They really are not that expensive when you consider the fact that the units are all inclusive. The rent includes the monthly bills for heat, electricity, internet, etc. When you factor all that in, a $1k apartment from frontdoor is really about the same cost as an $800 apt elsewhere for which you have to pay all the utilities separately.

Harry Ballsogna

New

Post by Harry Ballsogna » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:41 am

myq wrote:
Hi, I have never been to St. Louis (so I have never seen any of these buildings). But I did some research online, looked at a lot of review sites, etc. These were some that seemed recommended that I wrote down and maybe you could check out. I looked for studios/one bedrooms though. A few pages back fl0w posted about his search and having actually been to St. Louis his post will be way more useful than mine.

4515 Lindell
Tall building. Reviews say age of the building is sometimes a problem but staff is very good. On-street parking. The lady I called said she will have availability.

The Carleton
This is where I ended up (partly due to fl0w's review). Rent includes utilities and Internet. The inside is new with hardwood floors, stainless steel appliances, central air, washer and dryer in every apartment. Garage parking available. However, my 415 sq. foot studio is very small and, while the building itself got lots of good reviews, people complained about a staff that ignores maintenance requests. Not sure if they'll have availability - they told me my studio was the only one available although I don't know if that's just to scare me into renting immediately.

The President
--LinkRemoved--
Large 1BR $850
Building is old and looks really nice. Rent includes utilities. Garage parking available. When I called, they only had a large 1BR with a mini-office for $850, but said other places including studios might be opening up.

Del Coronado
Hey thanks! This was a huge help. I just called on the Carleton but it looks like they are totally filled except for a 2-bedroom that runs for $1150 per month. I am bummed because this looked like a great option. Looks like you probably made the right move jumping on the studio that was available.

The FrontdoorSTL lady was actually extremely helpful. Another complex she mentioned was the Looplofts. They are $850 with all utilities included. I am a little suspicious of the area it is in however. http://www.frontdoorstl.com/?pg=propert ... 019skinker I can't find much for reviews, but apparently it isn't an area with a lot of people walking around.

4515 Lindell looks like it might be an option... the pics don't load on the website, but the guy said they should be loaded in the next day or two as they had a photographer come in to take new photos. Biggest downside for me is first floor laundry for $1.25 wash and $1.25 dry. I sincerely loathe having to bring laundry outside my apt/home after dealing with that for 4 years in UG.

Harry Ballsogna

New

Post by Harry Ballsogna » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:59 am

fl0w wrote:
robin600 wrote:
They really are not that expensive when you consider the fact that the units are all inclusive. The rent includes the monthly bills for heat, electricity, internet, etc. When you factor all that in, a $1k apartment from frontdoor is really about the same cost as an $800 apt elsewhere for which you have to pay all the utilities separately.
I agree that frontdoorstl rent seems reasonable when you factor in utilities, etc. It is also hugely convenient to not have to worry about all the utilities when moving in and out.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NU_Jet55

Silver

Post by NU_Jet55 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:34 pm

I'm in st. Louis now for the first time ever today, and I've been nothing short of amazed. I'm chilling in forest park right now-it's just beautiful.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:38 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:I'm in st. Louis now for the first time ever today, and I've been nothing short of amazed. I'm chilling in forest park right now-it's just beautiful.
Nice man, what are you up to there? Anything excited planned out?

Llewellyn

New

Post by Llewellyn » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:09 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:I'm in st. Louis now for the first time ever today, and I've been nothing short of amazed. I'm chilling in forest park right now-it's just beautiful.
I hope you brought an umbrella.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:19 pm

Harry Ballsogna wrote:
myq wrote:

4515 Lindell

The Carleton

The President
--LinkRemoved--
Large 1BR $850

Del Coronado
Hey thanks! This was a huge help. I just called on the Carleton but it looks like they are totally filled except for a 2-bedroom that runs for $1150 per month. I am bummed because this looked like a great option. Looks like you probably made the right move jumping on the studio that was available.

The FrontdoorSTL lady was actually extremely helpful. Another complex she mentioned was the Looplofts. They are $850 with all utilities included. I am a little suspicious of the area it is in however. http://www.frontdoorstl.com/?pg=propert ... 019skinker I can't find much for reviews, but apparently it isn't an area with a lot of people walking around.

4515 Lindell looks like it might be an option... the pics don't load on the website, but the guy said they should be loaded in the next day or two as they had a photographer come in to take new photos. Biggest downside for me is first floor laundry for $1.25 wash and $1.25 dry. I sincerely loathe having to bring laundry outside my apt/home after dealing with that for 4 years in UG.
The area around Looplofts seems pretty bad. Probably fine if you're going to be driving every day, but not so much if you want to be able to walk to class and feel secure.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:02 pm

Anybody know anything about the Park Station apartment community on Debaliviere Place? Looks like they have some cheaper 1BR places and it's right near the Forest Park train stop.

I think I want to get my own place, and I want it to be by the train. This place seems perfect for me from what I've found on the internet, but I have no idea what the neighborhood is like. It's between the Loop and CWE. Probably going to come up to St. Louis around 4th of July to go apartment hunting.

mazzini

Bronze

Post by mazzini » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:21 am

Those who are planning on living alone are you leasing a studio or a 1br? I would rather have a 1 br obviously, but I'm thinking that since I will presumably only spend a limited amount of time at home that I should save a little money and get a studio.

Also, is anyone else here moving early to participate in the Sonnenschein program?

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:12 pm

mazzini wrote:Those who are planning on living alone are you leasing a studio or a 1br? I would rather have a 1 br obviously, but I'm thinking that since I will presumably only spend a limited amount of time at home that I should save a little money and get a studio.

Also, is anyone else here moving early to participate in the Sonnenschein program?
I think I'm just going to get a studio. I don't have enough furniture to fill a 1BR, and I don't really think I'm going to need a living room. I need a place to eat TV dinners, sleep, and shower. Plus, if I'm living by myself, I want more excuses to go out and meet people when I have free time instead of staying in and watching Forensic Files on TV or something. I plan on doing most of my studying at the library, since there will be less distractions. If I try to study at home, people will be messaging me on facebook, calling my cell phone, etc.

I'm probably moving in Aug. 1. I'd love to do the Sonnenschein program, but since I was taken off the waitlist late, I'm not sure if I can still register. Does anyone have any contact info about that?

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:16 pm

mazzini wrote:Those who are planning on living alone are you leasing a studio or a 1br? I would rather have a 1 br obviously, but I'm thinking that since I will presumably only spend a limited amount of time at home that I should save a little money and get a studio.

Studio, and I'm moving early to do the program as well. There are some pretty cheap/relatively nice studios within a 10-15 minute walk of campus to the north and west. My thought process was the same in deciding between studio/1BR.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”