WUSTL Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
fl0w

Silver

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Post by fl0w » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:14 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Oban wrote:This JD match thing seems kind of iffy, but If it guarantees and interview and it's free, then why not?
It guarantees an interview? How is that? There are only like 5 firms on it and none are in markets I want to work in. Seems like a good idea, but it could be years before it really does anything.
Yeah, currently 5 firms. But I guess the idea is that you still rank all the firms you want. They are then going to say, hey FIRMS if you had been in our system you would have gotten THIS MANY interested candidates. Which would entice firms to join up as an easy way to get candidates. But yes, the idea is that you get 1 good match per "match day"

It is obviously in its infancy and, as a computer science guy, I can literally see where it needs to be improved just by using it. But the only way for it to get better is for people to sign up. And yeah, it's free. So I did it.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:00 am

romothesavior wrote:
Oban wrote:This JD match thing seems kind of iffy, but If it guarantees and interview and it's free, then why not?
It guarantees an interview? How is that? There are only like 5 firms on it and none are in markets I want to work in. Seems like a good idea, but it could be years before it really does anything.
I didn't even see where there are 5 firms. I saw a huge list of firms.

The site's layout is a bit amateur, and there's a lot of good information that it leaves out, etc. Like there's a slot for advanced degrees, but there's nowhere where you can say what kind of degree. And on the practice areas of interest drop-down menu, there's a ton of areas left out.

With that said, it seems like it's a much better idea. There's got to be a more efficient way of applying for law firm jobs than the current "write 100 specifically tailored cover letters" for a 1 in 100 chance of getting an interview.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:15 am

JCougar wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
I didn't even see where there are 5 firms. I saw a huge list of firms.

The site's layout is a bit amateur, and there's a lot of good information that it leaves out, etc. Like there's a slot for advanced degrees, but there's nowhere where you can say what kind of degree. And on the practice areas of interest drop-down menu, there's a ton of areas left out.

With that said, it seems like it's a much better idea. There's got to be a more efficient way of applying for law firm jobs than the current "write 100 specifically tailored cover letters" for a 1 in 100 chance of getting an interview.
I'm not a fan of it at all, the more I check it out. The big list of firms is a list of like all the NLJ 250 firms + some more, but only the ones with the "JD Match logo" next to them are actually doing it.

And how about a box for "Geographic Preference?" I would think that would matter a huge amount to firms outside of NYC.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:32 pm

JD match: the folly that happens when lawyers try their hand at business.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:04 pm

JCougar wrote:JD match: the folly that happens when lawyers try their hand at business.
There's a lot wrong with that statement. When facebook was 10 schools large and everyone was on myspace, FB was a joke. Also, to say that a lawyer can't be a businessman... folly.

All that said, I know you were joking. I'm just cranky.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

J-tow10

Bronze

Post by J-tow10 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:45 pm

Anyone else have a hard time uploading a resume on JDMatch? Says to use .doc format (which I did) and it doesn't seem to work. Maybe the site doesn't like Macs? I noticed some firms that have online applications don't work very well on a Mac.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:49 pm

J-tow10 wrote:Anyone else have a hard time uploading a resume on JDMatch? Says to use .doc format (which I did) and it doesn't seem to work. Maybe the site doesn't like Macs? I noticed some firms that have online applications don't work very well on a Mac.
I always PDF my stuff before uploading it unless PDFs are explicitly not accepted. Which is rare.

J-tow10

Bronze

Post by J-tow10 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:01 pm

fl0w wrote:
J-tow10 wrote:Anyone else have a hard time uploading a resume on JDMatch? Says to use .doc format (which I did) and it doesn't seem to work. Maybe the site doesn't like Macs? I noticed some firms that have online applications don't work very well on a Mac.
I always PDF my stuff before uploading it unless PDFs are explicitly not accepted. Which is rare.
For whatever reason, the site won't allow PDFs :x

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:03 pm

J-tow10 wrote:
fl0w wrote:
For whatever reason, the site won't allow PDFs :x
For these terrible situations, I also have MS Windows installed on my Mac.
I know this isn't the answer you wanted to hear. If you are going to upload an MS Word doc though, best to do it with MS Windows to avoid crappy format differences between the programs. You may think it's one page, but on a different OS it's 1 line onto the 2d page.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:44 pm

fl0w wrote:
JCougar wrote:JD match: the folly that happens when lawyers try their hand at business.
There's a lot wrong with that statement. When facebook was 10 schools large and everyone was on myspace, FB was a joke. Also, to say that a lawyer can't be a businessman... folly.

All that said, I know you were joking. I'm just cranky.
Yeah, but facebook was in beta mode and everyone knew it. Also, you didn't have to pay to sign up for facebook.

I know JD Match is free right now, but I would have been incredibly pissed if I paid $100 to join. I know those people got their money back, but it's definitely not a completed product.

That said, yeah, I was joking.

Aston2412

Bronze

Post by Aston2412 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:50 pm

For what it's worth they are still adding firms.

Just today Proskauer joined.

BruceMacEwen

New

Post by BruceMacEwen » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:04 pm

Hi, all. A few quick points:
  • Really wish we could guarantee interviews-that would be one heck of an application!-but as with life so with JD Match: no guarantees.
  • We're working on the resume/writing sample upload; you should absolutely be able to upload PDFs but we recommend DOC or TXT because we can make them full-text searchable; not so with PDFs.
  • MoFo and Proskauer both joined this week, as you probably know; we're fast approaching 1,000 student members; and we're aggressively pursuing more members on both sides.
  • To state the obvious, JD Match is a "network effects" creature, so the more students there are the more attractive it is to firms and vice versa. That makes our inaugural year the most challenging of all. But we have to start somewhere.
  • Preferred regions of the country is being coded as we speak; once we QC it, it will show up on your "Other" tab.
  • Years of work experience (both full-time and part-time) is also being coded right now; same.
  • Yes, this is year one; but let me assure you we are extremely determined to continuously enhance JD Match. Ambition is not in short supply here.
We greatly appreciate the feedback. Thanks to all.

Bruce

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:15 pm

wustl was rollin' deep at the bay area diversity fair! Way to represent yall!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

J-tow10

Bronze

Post by J-tow10 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:58 pm

Anyone hear anything after yesterday's "match day"?

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:42 pm

J-tow10 wrote:Anyone hear anything after yesterday's "match day"?
don't hold your breath

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:54 am

BruceMacEwen wrote:Hi, all. A few quick points:
  • Really wish we could guarantee interviews-that would be one heck of an application!-but as with life so with JD Match: no guarantees.
  • We're working on the resume/writing sample upload; you should absolutely be able to upload PDFs but we recommend DOC or TXT because we can make them full-text searchable; not so with PDFs.
  • MoFo and Proskauer both joined this week, as you probably know; we're fast approaching 1,000 student members; and we're aggressively pursuing more members on both sides.
  • To state the obvious, JD Match is a "network effects" creature, so the more students there are the more attractive it is to firms and vice versa. That makes our inaugural year the most challenging of all. But we have to start somewhere.
  • Preferred regions of the country is being coded as we speak; once we QC it, it will show up on your "Other" tab.
  • Years of work experience (both full-time and part-time) is also being coded right now; same.
  • Yes, this is year one; but let me assure you we are extremely determined to continuously enhance JD Match. Ambition is not in short supply here.
We greatly appreciate the feedback. Thanks to all.

Bruce
Glad to hear you are working on it. I think JD Match could become a useful tool, but it will probably happen well after our class has gone through the recruitment process.

It will be interesting to see how things progress, and I think we all appreciate seeing a new approach to recruitment. Best of luck going forward.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:34 pm

So best moment of the interview season...

Getting an interview on accident just because I was sitting in the hotel lobby.
"Hey guys, anyone into IP?"
- yeah i am
"You heard of this firm"
- yeah i know this and this and have met these people there
"Come with me"

-> placed into interview.
I think the people sitting next to me were mentally punching me in the face as this was happening.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:52 pm

fl0w wrote:So best moment of the interview season...

Getting an interview on accident just because I was sitting in the hotel lobby.
"Hey guys, anyone into IP?"
- yeah i am
"You heard of this firm"
- yeah i know this and this and have met these people there
"Come with me"

-> placed into interview.
I think the people sitting next to me were mentally punching me in the face as this was happening.
I'm mentally punching you in the face right now for being IP. :wink:

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:03 pm

Conversely, I just got an email ding from a firm with which I was never even given a screening interview. Wow.

They then asked me to fill out some diversity statistics. Double.wow.

Thanks for the offer, but I'll have to pass.

Wooostl2012

New

Post by Wooostl2012 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:06 pm

I don't think I can fully express how glad I am that I don't have to go through the OCI process right now. Good luck, 2013.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:09 pm

Wooostl2012 wrote:I don't think I can fully express how glad I am that I don't have to go through the OCI process right now. Good luck, 2013.
yeah.. get out while you can.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Wooostl2012

New

Post by Wooostl2012 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:16 pm

fl0w wrote:
Wooostl2012 wrote:I don't think I can fully express how glad I am that I don't have to go through the OCI process right now. Good luck, 2013.
Well, since I'm a 3L, I think that train has left the station, unless they decide not to hand out degrees in May. I meant I'm glad to be done with the process. Sounds like you'll be alright, but good luck none the less.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:22 pm

Wooostl2012 wrote:
fl0w wrote:
Well, since I'm a 3L, I think that train has left the station, unless they decide not to hand out degrees in May. I meant I'm glad to be done with the process. Sounds like you'll be alright, but good luck none the less.
haha i think i was talking to myself there.. get out while you can...
i wonder if that job offer i turned down for law school is still good.

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:22 pm

fl0w wrote:Conversely, I just got an email ding from a firm with which I was never even given a screening interview. Wow.

They then asked me to fill out some diversity statistics. Double.wow.

Thanks for the offer, but I'll have to pass.
During my mass mail campaign, I had several firms email me and ask me to fill out a diversity/affirmative action form, and then send me a rejection. One came, several hours after completing the information. One firm sent a rejection email and an race/diversity email simultaneously.

Some firms just want the PR/stats.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:32 pm

I got rejected from a firm Monday morning after sending in a resume/cover letter/transcript Sunday night. Also, the firm was in my home town.

I didn't really have the GPA normally required by them, and I haven't lived in my hometown for 8 years, but please. I thought they would at least consider me for my work experience. At least take time to mentally process my application before rejecting me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”