Case Western Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
thexfactor

Silver

Re: Case Western Class of 2013

Post by thexfactor » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:33 am

roguey wrote:
thexfactor wrote:Did you guys meet any professors there?
I met Professors Scharf and Hoffman.

angioletto wrote:I paid for my permit for just the fall semester. I hope it isn't a problem for me to renew the same permit for spring.
I was thinking about doing the same. Maybe thexfactor can tell us how easy/difficult it is to renew the permit?
Sorry. I lived at the triangle last year. I didnt need a parking spot.
Prof. Scharf is in charge of the summer institute in the netherlands.. i think. I never had him, but he seems like a really nice guy.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:34 am

roguey wrote: Thank you!!! That is very helpful. Now to find $800 on top of my already tight budget. Thank goodness for overtime or I'd never be able to afford moving.

I'm always overwhelmed by attempting to meet new people at functions that large where I don't know anyone. I usually start at the smoking area and extend from there. I've found that smoker camaraderie is universal, lol.
Yeah, just yesterday I went to buy kitchen stuff. Thank god, there is this awesome warehouse type store near me, I got pretty much everything for my kitchen, pots, pans, cooking utensils, a toaster oven, rice cooker all for about $200. I even wound up getting a bunch of useless crap because pretty much everything was under $5, for like, the high quality kitchen-aid or Farberware stuff.

Ohh, I don't smoke. I've tried once or twice, but, I still haven't figured out the lighter. Either way though, I'm sure by a few weeks into school we'll all know each other (since there are so few people) and figure out who was on this site and stuff.
I met two really cool professors at the first admitted students day. Then I met like two more Friday. I swear, those guys talked non-stop about themselves for a good half an hour, with little more than a nod from the students they were talking to inbetween. I thought it was hilarious.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:36 am

snowpeach06 wrote:
roguey wrote: Thank you!!! That is very helpful. Now to find $800 on top of my already tight budget. Thank goodness for overtime or I'd never be able to afford moving.

I'm always overwhelmed by attempting to meet new people at functions that large where I don't know anyone. I usually start at the smoking area and extend from there. I've found that smoker camaraderie is universal, lol.
Yeah, just yesterday I went to buy kitchen stuff. Thank god, there is this awesome warehouse type store near me, I got pretty much everything for my kitchen, pots, pans, cooking utensils, a toaster oven, rice cooker all for about $200. I even wound up getting a bunch of useless crap because pretty much everything was under $5, for like, the high quality kitchen-aid or Farberware stuff.

Ohh, I don't smoke. I've tried once or twice, but, I still haven't figured out the lighter. Either way though, I'm sure by a few weeks into school we'll all know each other (since there are so few people) and figure out who was on this site and stuff.
I met two really cool professors at the first admitted students day. Then I met like two more Friday. I swear, those guys talked non-stop about themselves for a good half an hour, with little more than a nod from the students they were talking to inbetween. I thought it was hilarious.
Yea. They loove doing that... I think i know which one you are talking about. tall professor with glasses? salt/peppa hair?

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:41 am

thexfactor wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:

Yea. They loove doing that... I think i know which one you are talking about. tall professor with glasses? salt/peppa hair?
I don't know, he's actually kind of blurred in my mind. But, I'm also pretty sure that description could count for a lot of professors.

sapp

Bronze

Post by sapp » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:42 am

Last edited by sapp on Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:45 am

sapp wrote:I keep wondering if my soon to be roommate is a TLSer and we're both just being quiet about it. :lol:
cali resident i see... think long and hard about moving to cleveland....
the winters in clevleand arent friendly....

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:49 am

sapp wrote:I keep wondering if my soon to be roommate is a TLSer and we're both just being quiet about it. :lol:
That is one creepy looking smiley. Anyway, for some reason I thought you were a guy, so I was like "Ohh, def. not my roomie.". But then I looked at your profile, and you are not. But, if your from Cali, you aren't actually my likely roommate either. Did you meet who you are living with? Or just work stuff out online?

sapp

Bronze

Post by sapp » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:03 am

Last edited by sapp on Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:18 am

sapp wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
That is one creepy looking smiley. Anyway, for some reason I thought you were a guy, so I was like "Ohh, def. not my roomie.". But then I looked at your profile, and you are not. But, if your from Cali, you aren't actually my likely roommate either. Did you meet who you are living with? Or just work stuff out online?
Mostly online and on the phone.

I am afraid of the Cleveland winters. Very afraid. But hopefully I wont have a complete meltdown and lose all focus on school once it gets cold there. (I was in Cleveland for a week last October and was thoroughly shocked at how cold it was. From my experience the temperature that was there at that time usually occurs (here) during Winter, not Fall.) It should be interesting...
I donno where you are from in cali, but my neighbor was from LA. Also, one of my friends in my section is from san diego.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sapp

Bronze

Post by sapp » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:27 am

thexfactor wrote:I donno where you are from in cali, but my neighbor was from LA. Also, one of my friends in my section is from san diego.
Southern California. :)

I don't particularly care for northern CA. Though I've lived in both. You should tell them to get on here and give me advice on making the move and what they liked the most/least about the change.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:31 am

sapp wrote:
thexfactor wrote:I donno where you are from in cali, but my neighbor was from LA. Also, one of my friends in my section is from san diego.
Southern California. :)

I don't particularly care for northern CA. Though I've lived in both. You should tell them to get on here and give me advice on making the move and what they liked the most/least about the change.
If you are serious about going to case. I can ask them to give you advice or something on FB.
PM me if you are interested.

angioletto

Bronze

Post by angioletto » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:54 pm

I called them today - they said that a couple months before spring semester begins I will get an e-mail asking if I want to renew my permit so it won't be a problem that I did it by semester.

roguey

Bronze

Post by roguey » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:22 pm

angioletto wrote:I called them today - they said that a couple months before spring semester begins I will get an e-mail asking if I want to renew my permit so it won't be a problem that I did it by semester.
Thank you! I saw your post and immediately bought a pass. I decided on lot 29. Do they assign individual spots or is it first come = best spot?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

angioletto

Bronze

Post by angioletto » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:23 pm

roguey wrote:
angioletto wrote:I called them today - they said that a couple months before spring semester begins I will get an e-mail asking if I want to renew my permit so it won't be a problem that I did it by semester.
Thank you! I saw your post and immediately bought a pass. I decided on lot 29. Do they assign individual spots or is it first come = best spot?
No idea. I have seen things that seem to indicate that there are assigned spots but I have parked in that lot several times and nothing seems to be numbered. Then again I have parked there as a visitor so maybe I was just in a different section. This is a pretty darn big structure.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:31 pm

roguey wrote:
At least in the lot I used to park in, you just park wherever. Only condition was that residents had to park on a higher floor than commuters.

spitfire935

New

Post by spitfire935 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:22 pm

I just got a place and signed on for a 2 bedroom. Now looking for a roomate. I'm living on Overlook, b/t Little Italy and Coventry, so a great area and close enough not to need a parking permit. Pm if interested. I'm looking to live with a guy with no pets who doesn't smoke in the apt.

hds2388

Bronze

Post by hds2388 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:16 pm

spitfire935 wrote:I just got a place and signed on for a 2 bedroom. Now looking for a roomate. I'm living on Overlook, b/t Little Italy and Coventry, so a great area and close enough not to need a parking permit. Pm if interested. I'm looking to live with a guy with no pets who doesn't smoke in the apt.

I already have a place, but I'm also living on overlook between Coventry and little Italy, so I was just curious, what building are you living in?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sapp

Bronze

Post by sapp » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:06 pm

Last edited by sapp on Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:14 pm

sapp wrote:Am I mistaken or are there essentially 2 gyms at CWRU? (Adelbert Gym and 1-2-1)

It looks like 1-2-1's hours are 5:30am-10pm on week days and 8a-6pm on weekends.
All I can find right now for the Adelbert gym are the summer hours.

Is there anyone here that has any familiarity with either gym and can give a review? Or does anyone know what the regular hours of the Adelbert gym are?
Adelbert isn't actually a gym where people go to work out. It's where they have some team practices and where events are held. Veal is the actual gym. It's small, but, it has everything you need, and size isn't really a problem since it's never that crowded. 1-2-1 isn't really the school's gym. It's more there for the hospital workers, although Case students get a discount. You have to pay, and it's not open all that late, which is the main reason I haven't joined. However, if you are into working out during the day and don't mind paying, I'd say joining is def. worth it. It's a really nice gym.

sapp

Bronze

Post by sapp » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:24 pm

Last edited by sapp on Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:29 pm

sapp wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
sapp wrote:Am I mistaken or are there essentially 2 gyms at CWRU? (Adelbert Gym and 1-2-1)

It looks like 1-2-1's hours are 5:30am-10pm on week days and 8a-6pm on weekends.
All I can find right now for the Adelbert gym are the summer hours.

Is there anyone here that has any familiarity with either gym and can give a review? Or does anyone know what the regular hours of the Adelbert gym are?
Adelbert isn't actually a gym where people go to work out. It's where they have some team practices and where events are held. Veal is the actual gym. It's small, but, it has everything you need, and size isn't really a problem since it's never that crowded. 1-2-1 isn't really the school's gym. It's more there for the hospital workers, although Case students get a discount. You have to pay, and it's not open all that late, which is the main reason I haven't joined. However, if you are into working out during the day and don't mind paying, I'd say joining is def. worth it. It's a really nice gym.
Do you know the hours/price (if there is one) for Veal? Also do you know if either of them ever get super crowded at a particular time?
Veal's free. I think it closes at like 10 or something. Other than that, I know it has strange hours on the weekend, but I don't know them off-hand. I think it's most crowded around 5 on weekdays. But there are still always machines free.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

roguey

Bronze

Post by roguey » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:52 pm

Am I the only one who is bothered by the gym being named "Veal"? I dunno... kinda discomfiting.

spitfire935

New

Post by spitfire935 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:49 pm

hds2388 wrote:
spitfire935 wrote:I just got a place and signed on for a 2 bedroom. Now looking for a roomate. I'm living on Overlook, b/t Little Italy and Coventry, so a great area and close enough not to need a parking permit. Pm if interested. I'm looking to live with a guy with no pets who doesn't smoke in the apt.

I already have a place, but I'm also living on overlook between Coventry and little Italy, so I was just curious, what building are you living in?
I'm in the Crestview building. It's on Overlook right next to lakeview Apts. How about you?

sapp

Bronze

Post by sapp » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:00 pm

roguey wrote:Am I the only one who is bothered by the gym being named "Veal"? I dunno... kinda discomfiting.
Apparently its Veale with an E if that makes you feel any better. (But at least you wont get hungry when you think about going to the gym - or maybe you will if thats your thing ;) )
The Veale Center is the name commonly used for the Emerson Physical Education Center. It is located at the south end of the Case Quad
http://wiki.case.edu/Veale_Center

hds2388

Bronze

Post by hds2388 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:46 pm

spitfire935 wrote:
hds2388 wrote:

I'm in the Crestview building. It's on Overlook right next to lakeview Apts. How about you?
Im in the Roosevelt building. Google maps says its 367 feet away.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”