University of Florida Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
UFstudent

New

Re: University of Florida Class of 2013

Post by UFstudent » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:28 am

Ragnar wrote:We've got to get this thing rolling. All of you who have decided to attend, stop lurking and make yourself known. What are you doing to prepare this summer? Taking it easy? Re-reading the constitution? Watching "Boston Legal" in its entirety? Personally, I'm memorizing the entire series of "Night Court" word for word. I want to be the most prepared when we start.

I used to love Night Court. Hope you bring the box set with you to school!

GatorGirl1230

New

Post by GatorGirl1230 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:41 am

UFstudent wrote:I just signed a lease at the Laurels. Everyone should move there so we could carpool. There is a bus stop right out front, but it will take 48 minutes to get to the law school by bus. Its a 2 mile straight shot from the law school.
Good choice - I live at the Laurels right now and love it. I plan on staying here for at least the first year of law school!

ram jam

Bronze

Post by ram jam » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:56 am

Has anyone received their fin aid info, or received loans, etc. ?

UFstudent

New

Post by UFstudent » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:57 pm

ram jam wrote:Has anyone received their fin aid info, or received loans, etc. ?
The sent an email out to call them if you don't get your information by late July. I got information on my proposed aide, but it hasn't been processed yet. They still don't have the tuition cost yet.

UFstudent

New

Post by UFstudent » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:27 pm

I just found out that I didn't win the football lottery. tear. :(

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UFstudent

New

Post by UFstudent » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:58 pm

not a talkative bunch are we?

Moose Thompson

Bronze

Post by Moose Thompson » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:07 pm

So, I withdrew from Stetson and got my seat reinstated at UF. Looks like I'll be staying in Gainesville for 3 more years after all. Looking forward to meeting everyone in a few weeks!

farewelltoarms

New

Post by farewelltoarms » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:45 pm

ITT: Silence

Hey all, so what's up with this orientation bullshit fee? 150 bucks for.......? Some roast beef and flank steak? If you ask me, orientation fee should totally be included in the tuition or something, it was a pain in the ass scrounging up 150 dollars.

Also, what's people living arrangements like? I'm honestly considering just getting like a really cheap apartment for like 350 with 3 random roommates. But, I have strong feeling I'd end up living with some undergrad kids and they would constantly be asking me to buy beer ha.

Moose Thompson

Bronze

Post by Moose Thompson » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:10 pm

farewelltoarms wrote:ITT: Silence

Hey all, so what's up with this orientation bullshit fee? 150 bucks for.......? Some roast beef and flank steak? If you ask me, orientation fee should totally be included in the tuition or something, it was a pain in the ass scrounging up 150 dollars.

Also, what's people living arrangements like? I'm honestly considering just getting like a really cheap apartment for like 350 with 3 random roommates. But, I have strong feeling I'd end up living with some undergrad kids and they would constantly be asking me to buy beer ha.

I definitely advise against living with 3 random undergrads during 1L. Their lives will be completely different than yours...especially with how crazy that type of housing can be here.

Check out the Facebook page, I've seen a lot of 1,2, and 3Ls looking for roommates. At the very least you should try to live with graduate students.

And, yeah, the orientation fee came as a surprise to me. They really could have just worked it into tuition to let student loans take care of it instead of having to dig it up during summer. That's like 24 12-packs of PBR. LOL

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

UFstudent

New

Post by UFstudent » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:20 pm

farewelltoarms wrote:ITT: Silence

I met a roommate from the facebook page, before that I was looking in the UF Law housing forum.
http://forums.law.ufl.edu/posting.php?m ... 90d02a61a9

We'll be living in the Laurels it 859 for the 2/2 with cable inc.

ScndCareertyme

New

Post by ScndCareertyme » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:24 am

Anyone looking all the way out at Haile Plantation? incredible place, maybe too long a commute for me. not sure

GatorGirl1230

New

Post by GatorGirl1230 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:29 am

ScndCareertyme wrote:Anyone looking all the way out at Haile Plantation? incredible place, maybe too long a commute for me. not sure
That would be a really long commute. During the morning and evening rush hours, Tower Road gets really busy. Plus, you would then have to travel down either University Ave, 20th, or Archer to get to school - and those roads would also be packed.

But it is really nice out there!! You would just have to be willing to add an extra fifteen to twenty minutes to your commute time.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:36 pm

ScndCareertyme wrote:Anyone looking all the way out at Haile Plantation? incredible place, maybe too long a commute for me. not sure
I don't know how long that commute would be, but I commuted about 30 minutes each way my first year and had no issues. It's actually kind of relaxing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Jas

New

Post by Jas » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:41 pm

I recommend Piccadilly. Just moved out after graduating and it was the fourth apartment complex I lived at in Gainesville. Haile is an awesome place just to visit and walk around, but I don't think you could live there cheap. Commute-wise, it would not be long on most days, though. You'd have to leave maybe, MAYBE 40 minutes shy of class-time to be safe. More like 25-30 if you are casual about it.

ScndCareertyme

New

Post by ScndCareertyme » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:51 pm

yeah.... im just not sure. I've got little ones in school and the lawton chiles elementary school is very tempting.. also being one of the "old men" in this class, i'm hesitant about creating any more "separation" from my classmates than will already be built in. not major concerns but still thoughts.

kyleh02

New

Post by kyleh02 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:46 pm

There's a place off 2nd Ave. called Hawaiian Village with 730 sq. ft. 1/1's for $540 about 1 mile away from the law school if anyone is interested.
http://www.hawaiianvillageapartments.com/

ScndCareertyme

New

Post by ScndCareertyme » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:14 pm

any poker players in this group? I'd dig a regular game....

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tempurabanana

New

Post by tempurabanana » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:45 pm

Anyone still need an apartment? My parents are trying to rent out a 2 bed/2.5 bath townhouse in Kensington South (3901 SW 20th Ave). It's on the 20, 21 and nearby 34 bus routes. Washer/Dryer in unit, large kitchen w/ dishwasher and disposal and plenty of counter space. Lots of non-permit parking out front. Front bedroom has walk-in closet. High-speed internet is included. Complex has a pool, treadmill and elliptical. It usually goes for $850 (both bedrooms), utilities not included, but at this point they might be willing to negotiate. Downstairs can be furnished (couch, coffee table, desk, dining table, etc) at no additional cost. I think there's even a full size bed and drawers available if you want them. Cats and dogs are okay with extra deposit.

I lived there for four years and every once in a while I have teency ounce of regret about my decision to move to Boston because I miss that apartment. Teency-tiny. Don't tell my parents.

PM if you're interested and I'll send you the contact info and pictures if I can find them.

Edit: And re-Haile commute up thread. I worked out there for a bit. It's about a 15-20 minute commute by car. In some ways, it would probably be more convenient and relaxing than a bus ride from a crazy undergrad-infested apartment complex. I commute to Boston College from Cambridge, it's about 25 minutes and it's nice to have that time in the morning to myself (vs. my friends who use public transit and pour over their readings in the morning), but that's just me, and I also have the added luxury of a quality NPR station to help control the road rage. On the flip side though, Haile Plantation is eerily reminiscent of Stepford and it's kind of dead out there.

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:48 pm

Moose Thompson wrote:So, I withdrew from Stetson and got my seat reinstated at UF. Looks like I'll be staying in Gainesville for 3 more years after all. Looking forward to meeting everyone in a few weeks!

What made you change your mind Moose?
ScndCareertyme wrote:any poker players in this group? I'd dig a regular game....

I'm in!

ScndCareertyme

New

Post by ScndCareertyme » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:46 pm

trialjunky wrote:
Moose Thompson wrote:So, I withdrew from Stetson and got my seat reinstated at UF. Looks like I'll be staying in Gainesville for 3 more years after all. Looking forward to meeting everyone in a few weeks!

ScndCareertyme wrote:any poker players in this group? I'd dig a regular game....

I'm in!
TJ - I bet your ruthless ; ) we'll have to get a cash game together b/f class starts..

UFstudent

New

Post by UFstudent » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:39 pm

They just figured out tuition costs.
The 2010-11 semester per credit hour tuition/fee for law students is $546.22 (30 hours=$16,386.60) for Florida residents and $1,191.71 (30 hours=$35,751.30) for non-residents, as defined in the UF Undergraduate Catalog.

That scholarship they gave me is not going to cut it. Can I ask for more money at this point?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:18 pm

ScndCareertyme wrote:
trialjunky wrote:

I'm in!
TJ - I bet your ruthless ; ) we'll have to get a cash game together b/f class starts..
Lol, you might have hit just hit it on the head. what do you play stud or texhas holdem?

farewelltoarms

New

Post by farewelltoarms » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:02 pm

UFstudent wrote:They just figured out tuition costs.
The 2010-11 semester per credit hour tuition/fee for law students is $546.22 (30 hours=$16,386.60) for Florida residents and $1,191.71 (30 hours=$35,751.30) for non-residents, as defined in the UF Undergraduate Catalog.

That scholarship they gave me is not going to cut it. Can I ask for more money at this point?
I have a feeling they will say no, but its worth a shot. (update if you do)

Also, for those curious, here's a handy pdf file of tuition rates for the past ten years. Ah, those bastards in 2000 had no idea how good they had it.

--LinkRemoved--

ScndCareertyme

New

Post by ScndCareertyme » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:01 pm

trialjunky wrote:
ScndCareertyme wrote:
trialjunky wrote:

I'm in!
Lol, you might have hit just hit it on the head. what do you play stud or texhas holdem?
im laughing at myself as i look over your post numbes and realize im like communicating by snail mail! I love Texas. Im thinkin a freeze out tourney? with a keg for those who get knocked out?

ScndCareertyme

New

Post by ScndCareertyme » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:26 pm

wow, kinda dead around this thread.. I am going to have a get-together at my place oriented to Non-trads, ie my kids and others will be there. You don't have to have kids or be a non-trad to come (I hope others will come), but just so you know. I'll provide some fixins (non meat food) a grille, great atmosphere and you bring BYOB&B. Im looking at Sunday the 15th at our place in Gville- startin at 4pm....until people want to leave. if anyone is interested msg me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”