UNC c/o 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
mytwocents
Posts: 195
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:26 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2013

Postby mytwocents » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:17 pm

I'm pretty sure I'll be heading to UNC in the fall. However, before I make it official and pay my seat deposit, I would really like to visit. I've been to Chapel Hill and UNC's main campus a few times, but I've never visited the law school. Is it easy to get a guided tour there? Or would I be better off just walking around on my own? Anyone ever visited/sat in on a class/etc.? I'd like to visit before any kind of ASD or ASW, as my parents have never been to Chapel Hill and would like to see the campus (it'd be a little awkward dragging the 'rents around during an ASD :lol: )

TarHeel2010
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:30 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2013

Postby TarHeel2010 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:46 pm

I visited last week and sat in on a criminal law class. I loved it. The building is old and the court room leaves much to be desired, but the people, professors, and all around atmosphere of the school was amazing. It did not seem to be a competitive atmosphere at all, and many professors stopped us on our tour to say hi and introduce themselves. I'm sadly still waiting to hear about my fate, but if i receive an acceptance I will 100% be there this fall. Chapel Hill is gorgeous and such a wonderful place to spend three years.

LSATfromNC
Posts: 735
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:29 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2013

Postby LSATfromNC » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:36 pm

Will any of you be buying a house? I've been looking around and damn it's expensive!

Also, what do you guys think about the lack of parking? It seem's like a huge hassle to commute 15 minutes to a park and ride lot, then wait for the bus, then walk a mile from the bus stop to the school (maybe I'm just a pansy :) ).

User avatar
ZeroEll
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2013

Postby ZeroEll » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:52 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:Will any of you be buying a house? I've been looking around and damn it's expensive!

Also, what do you guys think about the lack of parking? It seem's like a huge hassle to commute 15 minutes to a park and ride lot, then wait for the bus, then walk a mile from the bus stop to the school (maybe I'm just a pansy :) ).


I bought a house a few months ago, about 6 miles from the UNC campus. It is pretty expensive in Chapel Hill/Carrboro, but if you are willing to be a little farther away, real estate is pretty reasonable. PM me if you want my recommendations, and I could refer you to an agent who was great for me.

And, I thought there was a shuttle stop closer to the law school? If it is a mile, that's a royal pain.

LSATfromNC
Posts: 735
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:29 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2013

Postby LSATfromNC » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:01 pm

ZeroEll wrote:
LSATfromNC wrote:Will any of you be buying a house? I've been looking around and damn it's expensive!

Also, what do you guys think about the lack of parking? It seem's like a huge hassle to commute 15 minutes to a park and ride lot, then wait for the bus, then walk a mile from the bus stop to the school (maybe I'm just a pansy :) ).


I bought a house a few months ago, about 6 miles from the UNC campus. It is pretty expensive in Chapel Hill/Carrboro, but if you are willing to be a little farther away, real estate is pretty reasonable. PM me if you want my recommendations, and I could refer you to an agent who was great for me.

And, I thought there was a shuttle stop closer to the law school? If it is a mile, that's a royal pain.


PM sent :)

User avatar
DallasCowboy
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:47 am

Re: UNC c/o 2013

Postby DallasCowboy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:23 pm

Duke vs. UNC softball anyone?

TarHeel2010
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:30 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2013

Postby TarHeel2010 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:25 pm

there is a stop right by the law school...no worries barely a two minute walk.

LSATfromNC
Posts: 735
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:29 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2013

Postby LSATfromNC » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:30 pm

TarHeel2010 wrote:there is a stop right by the law school...no worries barely a two minute walk.


Awesome.

User avatar
thestoryends
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:55 am

Re: UNC c/o 2013

Postby thestoryends » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:12 pm

does anybody know if UNC requires parental $$ info for aid?

justme13
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:15 am

Re: UNC c/o 2013

Postby justme13 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:37 pm

thestoryends wrote:does anybody know if UNC requires parental $$ info for aid?


No, they don't. I went to Diversity Day on 2/5 and the financial aid speaker said they no longer require parental information as we are all considered independent because law school is a professional program.

So far it seems UNC is my best option so I guess I'll be seeing you all there :) Go Tar Heels!

LSATfromNC
Posts: 735
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:29 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2013

Postby LSATfromNC » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:22 pm

Still can't believe I'm getting accepted student email from UNC :) Anyone going to attend this event?

User avatar
mytwocents
Posts: 195
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:26 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2013

Postby mytwocents » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:06 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:Still can't believe I'm getting accepted student email from UNC :) Anyone going to attend this event?


I'd like to, it sounds interesting...but I'm already having to change my work schedule for a tour on March 2nd and ASD on March 19th, so I'm probably not going.

PS - Is anyone else planning on going to the ASD on the 19th? I hadn't seen anything about it online, but I called the admissions office yesterday to make a tour appointment and the lady mentioned it to me. I'd love to meet some future classmates!

ETA: I just did a quick check for ASD dates and the UNC website says it'll be in April...? So I might be wrong, but March 19th is what I was told yesterday.

lawhawk
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2013

Postby lawhawk » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:09 pm

"the only good thing about duke is that it is 15 minutes away from UNC-Chapel Hill..that place is awesome.."

Tucker Max - former dook law student

saw that and thought it was appropriate...and true.

User avatar
thestoryends
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:55 am

Re: UNC c/o 2013

Postby thestoryends » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:27 pm

i'll be there! i guess our admittance letter can count as "student id"?

User avatar
eye
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:40 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2013

Postby eye » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:25 pm

Anyone in the Charlotte area??

There will be a winter social for "The Young Lawyers Division" on March 4th for both young lawyers and students. I'm really interested in checking this out..

PM if you wanna join.

gangstaofluv21
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:11 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2013

Postby gangstaofluv21 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:49 pm

I applied to UNC in October... In-state with 162/3.39 --For the last 2.5 years, my GPA has been around a 3.75

do i have a good shot at getting in?

User avatar
ZeroEll
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2013

Postby ZeroEll » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:02 pm

thestoryends wrote:i'll be there! i guess our admittance letter can count as "student id"?


I'll be there, too. Any thoughts on appropriate things to wear for this event? I am thinking business casual, but was curious to hear from others going.

LSATfromNC
Posts: 735
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:29 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2013

Postby LSATfromNC » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:08 pm

gangstaofluv21 wrote:I applied to UNC in October... In-state with 162/3.39 --For the last 2.5 years, my GPA has been around a 3.75

do i have a good shot at getting in?


I would say a decent shot, but they love GPAs (overall GPAs).

gangstaofluv21
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:11 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2013

Postby gangstaofluv21 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:11 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:
gangstaofluv21 wrote:I applied to UNC in October... In-state with 162/3.39 --For the last 2.5 years, my GPA has been around a 3.75

do i have a good shot at getting in?


I would say a decent shot, but they love GPAs (overall GPAs).



cool... yea I have a good reason why my GPA was lower freshman year which i explain in my application, so hopefully it will all work out!

I wish they would let us know sooner.

aparker
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:19 am

Re: UNC c/o 2013

Postby aparker » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:55 pm

ZeroEll wrote:I'll be there, too. Any thoughts on appropriate things to wear for this event? I am thinking business casual, but was curious to hear from others going.


I'll be there too. I'm planning on a blazer and tie.

User avatar
mytwocents
Posts: 195
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:26 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2013

Postby mytwocents » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:14 am

Just got an email from the UNC Dean...apparently the admitted students' open house is on March 29th, not March 19th. So the lady I talked to WAS wrong. Another -1 for UNC admissions...lol

LSATfromNC
Posts: 735
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:29 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2013

Postby LSATfromNC » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:45 am

mytwocents wrote:Just got an email from the UNC Dean...apparently the admitted students' open house is on March 29th, not March 19th. So the lady I talked to WAS wrong. Another -1 for UNC admissions...lol


Haha, the email is jacked also. It says 1st deposit is April 16th and 2nd deposit is April 17th :)

User avatar
ZeroEll
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2013

Postby ZeroEll » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:07 pm

Ha, I noticed that too! I am just excited to be getting email for UNC admitted students.

Does anyone know the date classes will begin? I am in a wedding in late August and need to plan around that. Their academic calendar on the site is not updated, either.

User avatar
mytwocents
Posts: 195
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:26 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2013

Postby mytwocents » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:10 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:
mytwocents wrote:Just got an email from the UNC Dean...apparently the admitted students' open house is on March 29th, not March 19th. So the lady I talked to WAS wrong. Another -1 for UNC admissions...lol


Haha, the email is jacked also. It says 1st deposit is April 16th and 2nd deposit is April 17th :)


Oh crap, I didn't even notice that! So now I'm super confused about the ASD dates :?

User avatar
eye
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:40 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2013

Postby eye » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:34 pm

Haha UNC is assuming we don't need much time between deposit dates to decide where we want to matriculate.

At least in my case, their assumption is correct.




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest