American WCL Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Jules Winnfield

Re: American WCL Class of 2013

Postby Jules Winnfield » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:57 am

Has anybody received financial aid from American yet?

lstwin

Postby lstwin » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:31 am

Jules Winnfield wrote:Has anybody received financial aid from American yet?

I got an email about financial aid from American yesterday, but it just told me that I'm not eligible for need-based financial aid. :(

Jules Winnfield

Postby Jules Winnfield » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:40 pm

Have most e-mails or letters that have been sent out regarding financial aid been negative news?

Langfall

Postby Langfall » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:03 pm

Does any one know why AU's seat deposit is a one time drop of $900? Did other people have a habit of sending in their first deposit and then withdrawing from the school or so? I could imagine this price tag as being a great solution to a problem such as that. Ive been checking out other schools and generally their deposits seem to be much less or the have two deposit dates.

Jules Winnfield wrote:Has anybody received financial aid from American yet?

BTW Jules I sent fin aid an email and they said they will be sending out notifications next week. Although everyone who has posted on here so far has related only bad news. Kinda worried

Bert

Postby Bert » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:15 pm

Langfall wrote:Does any one know why AU's seat deposit is a one time drop of $900? Did other people have a habit of sending in their first deposit and then withdrawing from the school or so? I could imagine this price tag as being a great solution to a problem such as that. Ive been checking out other schools and generally their deposits seem to be much less or the have two deposit dates.

If I am not mistaken, the $900 is your first and second deposit wrapped into one. I believe that it is partially refundable, but I do not recall exactly what the rules are regarding refundability.

lstwin

Postby lstwin » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:33 pm

Bert wrote:If I am not mistaken, the $900 is your first and second deposit wrapped into one. I believe that it is partially refundable, but I do not recall exactly what the rules are regarding refundability.

If you withdraw your acceptance by a certain date (can't remember what the date is) you can get $450 back (with a few stipulations). I'll post a link if I can find where I read that.

lstwin

Postby lstwin » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:35 pm

lstwin wrote:If you withdraw your acceptance by a certain date (can't remember what the date is) you can get $450 back (with a few stipulations). I'll post a link if I can find where I read that.

Here's the info:

Upon acceptance for fall 2010 admission, you will need to submit a tuition deposit of $900.00 by April 15th or by your deposit deadline . If you receive a merit scholarship, your deposit deadline is April 1st . Your seat deposit must be made within the specified time, or you will forfeit your place in the entering class. The deposit is credited against fall semester tuition charges. We will enclose complete instructions with your admission letter.

2010 Seat Deposit Partial Refund Policy
A partial seat deposit refund is available to non-matriculating candidates who meet the following requirements:
1. You were not offered admission through our Early Decision Option.
2. You were not offered admission off the waiting list.
3. You were not a transfer or visitor candidate.
4. You did not defer your admission from a previous year.
5. You were not a Public Interest/Public Service Scholarship recipient.
6. You have submitted the Not Attending Notifcation Form via the web http://www.wcl.american.edu/admiss/not_attending.cfm
7. If the Admissions Office receives this form no later than June 30, 2010 5:00pm EDT, a $450.00 refund is available. Please note failure to submit this form electronically by the June 30, 2010 5:00pm EDT deadline will result in a forfeiture of all deposit funds.

globallawyer

Postby globallawyer » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:08 pm

Just got my financial aid package. Just the general federal amounts as expected. I don't see a drop down to accept or reject though. Anyone else have this problem?

Jules Winnfield

Postby Jules Winnfield » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:14 pm

globallawyer wrote:Just got my financial aid package. Just the general federal amounts as expected. I don't see a drop down to accept or reject though. Anyone else have this problem?

Yea, me too. And the amounts don't come anywhere close to the tuition tag. Does this mean no need-based aid?

EDIT: Now that I think about it, this probably isn't our complete financial aid package. I'm assuming that if it was, we'd be able to at least Accept or Decline. Hopefully.

Langfall

Postby Langfall » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:17 am

Jules Winnfield wrote:
globallawyer wrote:Just got my financial aid package. Just the general federal amounts as expected. I don't see a drop down to accept or reject though. Anyone else have this problem?

Yea, me too. And the amounts don't come anywhere close to the tuition tag. Does this mean no need-based aid?

EDIT: Now that I think about it, this probably isn't our complete financial aid package. I'm assuming that if it was, we'd be able to at least Accept or Decline. Hopefully.

Got mine today as well. It was quite below expectations. Eitherway next to my awards the description states that its pending. So (hopefully) that may mean that they'll up the awards a bit but thats probably not likely. The pending notice is probably the reason why there isnt a Accept or Decline tag yet.

Hmm, Is the Grant not the need-based aid? I was wondering about that?

Scarletlady

Postby Scarletlady » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:59 am

Langfall wrote:
Jules Winnfield wrote:

Got mine today as well. It was quite below expectations. Eitherway next to my awards the description states that its pending. So (hopefully) that may mean that they'll up the awards a bit but thats probably not likely. The pending notice is probably the reason why there isnt a Accept or Decline tag yet.

Hmm, Is the Grant not the need-based aid? I was wondering about that?

Do they send an email or do you just access it from the my.american.edu website?

Jimmy Paperboy

Postby Jimmy Paperboy » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:52 am

Hey i just got my myamerican site and under finances for me it said that I was granted 11,000 WCL grant a year. Just seeing how this compares with others that were given need based grants.

kkslider

Postby kkslider » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:51 pm

I got no need based Financial Aid, and the loans (around 11,000/year) in federal money leave ALOT to be desired.

Thus is my dilemma with WCL.... is it worth the ~60k per year it could cost. It's the best school I got into, but can I really spend 180k on law school!?@#? I'm from Baltimore, want to practice in Baltimore, and got waitlisted at UMD. Considering depositing at Ubalt($25k/year, no scholarship strangely...) or WCL and hoping for UMD ($25k/year). I would be SO much happier at WCL than Ubaltimore, but is it the possible $110k happier?

As for housing, I know some people have said housing would be about 1100/month, but where are these numbers coming from? Live like a lawyer in law school, live like a student as a lawyer....

Dunno, just want to get out my frustrations somewhere...

pugalicious

Postby pugalicious » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:12 am

kkslider, I'm in the same boat as you (American is the highest ranked school that accepted me, no grants/scholarships). I think I am going to another school...the only thing worth almost $200,000 is a place to live, IMO : )

Scarletlady

Postby Scarletlady » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:04 pm

kkslider wrote:
As for housing, I know some people have said housing would be about 1100/month, but where are these numbers coming from? Live like a lawyer in law school, live like a student as a lawyer....

Dunno, just want to get out my frustrations somewhere...

You can live in DC or Maryland for cheaper than that, but overall the $1100/month with rent and util sounds about right. The DC rental market was just named the 6th most expensive in the nation, and the area of NW near the school is some of the more expensive housing in the District.

poeticjustice88

Postby poeticjustice88 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:37 pm

I just found out I was in today! It didn't mention anything about merit scholarships, do they usually notify you of those at upon acceptance or is it all in one financial aid package notification? Do you know if they have a special circumstances type of deal for need-based, I don't even talk to my mother anymore (have been on my own since I was 16) so it would be awkward to all of sudden call for her tax information.

lafuria

Postby lafuria » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:08 pm

I finally got around to sending in my seat deposit...Kind of nervous about all the debt but I saved a lot of money by doing my undergrad in Canada and I really think American is the right school for me. Who else is going up on April 23 for the admitted students day?

Langfall

Postby Langfall » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:21 am

The Accept / Reject tags are up. But the fin aid is still in a pending state. :?

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:13 pm

Barring any surprise acceptances between now and 5 est tomorrow, I'll be putting down my deposit at American.

The visit put it over the top for me. I got more money from other schools and accepted into higher ranked schools, but I would much rather go to school with the type of students American attracts instead *ahem* other similarly ranked schools in the area.

I'm going to remain on some waitlists, but most likely I'll be matriculating into American in the fall. Hope to see you all there, and I'm also looking for a place to live.

Jimmy Paperboy

Postby Jimmy Paperboy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:33 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:Barring any surprise acceptances between now and 5 est tomorrow, I'll be putting down my deposit at American.

The visit put it over the top for me. I got more money from other schools and accepted into higher ranked schools, but I would much rather go to school with the type of students American attracts instead *ahem* other similarly ranked schools in the area.

I'm going to remain on some waitlists, but most likely I'll be matriculating into American in the fall. Hope to see you all there, and I'm also looking for a place to live.

What specifically did you like when you visited the school? American is a top choice for me but I'm still trying to find more info on the school.

Scarletlady

Postby Scarletlady » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:35 pm

Just withdrew from the PT program. Good luck!

Langfall

Postby Langfall » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:15 am

Jimmy Paperboy wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:Barring any surprise acceptances between now and 5 est tomorrow, I'll be putting down my deposit at American.

What specifically did you like when you visited the school? American is a top choice for me but I'm still trying to find more info on the school.

+1
also curious

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:52 pm

Langfall wrote:
Jimmy Paperboy wrote:

I am opposed to what you just said, as well as the manner in which you said it
also curious

1. The professor (Vladeck) was the best prof I've seen in my 7 visits to various schools.
2. The current (and prospective) students that I met were diverse, interesting, engaging, and none that I met had any interest whatsoever in selling their soul to go "biglaw"
3. The campus was beautiful, the facilities were amazing, and the amount of windows in the building will help keep me sane
4. D.C. is amazing, where else would anyone possibly want to go to law school? p.s. I got into GMU as well, but reasons 1-3 were all very much lacking at GMU

lesleydh1984

Postby lesleydh1984 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:55 pm

I agree with all of your thoughts on American. Up until last Friday I was deciding between several different schools, but after hearing from the faculty and current students I am fully committed to American.

Now to find a place to live!

lafuria

Postby lafuria » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:02 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:
Langfall wrote:
Jimmy Paperboy wrote:

I am opposed to what you just said, as well as the manner in which you said it
also curious

1. The professor (Vladeck) was the best prof I've seen in my 7 visits to various schools.
2. The current (and prospective) students that I met were diverse, interesting, engaging, and none that I met had any interest whatsoever in selling their soul to go "biglaw"
3. The campus was beautiful, the facilities were amazing, and the amount of windows in the building will help keep me sane
4. D.C. is amazing, where else would anyone possibly want to go to law school? p.s. I got into GMU as well, but reasons 1-3 were all very much lacking at GMU

Great to hear, I'm a bit nervous about having put in a deposit for a school I haven't visited, but you are making WCL sound very appealing!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”