American WCL Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
Matteliszt
Posts: 1301
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:38 pm

Re: American WCL Class of 2013

Postby Matteliszt » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:47 pm

Hey everybody! Has anyone who applied for the JD/MBA program heard from Kogood(the business school)? I got into American's JD program about a month ago and have heard nothing at all from the business school.

globallawyer
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:05 pm

Re: American WCL Class of 2013

Postby globallawyer » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:53 pm

Matteliszt,

You should email or call Kogod. I applied to the JD/MA program with SIS and after not hearing anything for a couple of months I sent them an email. They responded quickly and made sure my file was under review. I got my decision two weeks later. I don't know if it would be the same with the MBA but it's worth a shot.

eaters333
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:50 pm

Re: American WCL Class of 2013

Postby eaters333 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:57 pm

anyone going to the reception at ROCKSUGAR in santa monica March 11?

User avatar
OkieGirl
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:08 am

Re: American WCL Class of 2013

Postby OkieGirl » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:16 pm

I will most likely find myself at American as well! :lol:

Any of my fellow future classmates also interested in the International J.D./Master I/Master II in France?

User avatar
vegansistah
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:45 pm

Re: American WCL Class of 2013

Postby vegansistah » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:18 am

American is looking more and more likely for me, too. Part-time, and I will be attending the ASD on the 25th.

ToNY10
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:28 pm

Re: American WCL Class of 2013

Postby ToNY10 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:11 pm

Hey all, I just got my acceptance letter today, very excited as American is one of my top choices (Though I'm still waiting for some other letters to roll in before I make my decision). Is anyone from The NY, specifically Long Island Area?

User avatar
jlnoa0915
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:25 pm

Re: American WCL Class of 2013

Postby jlnoa0915 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:09 pm

I'm admitted but still weighing the options. How do you all plan on paying for AU? Do you think its worth the tuition + COL?

TennJed
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:40 pm

Re: American WCL Class of 2013

Postby TennJed » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:46 pm

Hey everybody,

I just got my application in a couple of days ago and I wanted to get a little feedback on my chances. I have a 3.60 GPA from UVA and my highest LSAT was a 163. I know those figures put me kind of in the middle of the applicant pool, but I just wondering if any of y'all were accepted with these types of stats. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but WCL is definitely my top choice and I'm trying to make myself feel a little better while waiting for a decision. Oh, and congrats to all of y'all on your admissions. I certainly hope to be seeing all of you guy starting next fall......

ToNY10
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:28 pm

Re: American WCL Class of 2013

Postby ToNY10 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:35 am

TennJed wrote:Hey everybody,

I just got my application in a couple of days ago and I wanted to get a little feedback on my chances. I have a 3.60 GPA from UVA and my highest LSAT was a 163. I know those figures put me kind of in the middle of the applicant pool, but I just wondering if any of y'all were accepted with these types of stats. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but WCL is definitely my top choice and I'm trying to make myself feel a little better while waiting for a decision. Oh, and congrats to all of y'all on your admissions. I certainly hope to be seeing all of you guy starting next fall......


I was just accepted with the same LSAT and a slightly lower GPA, so i'm sure you have a good chance depending on your softs and the available spots.
"Worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere"
------
jLnoa0915- Loans, loans and probably some more loans. Sad but it's the way of the world.
I do believe it is worth it though. The DC location is nearly unbeatable in my eyes.

User avatar
jacquimarie
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:17 pm

Re: American WCL Class of 2013

Postby jacquimarie » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:07 am

eaters333 wrote:anyone going to the reception at ROCKSUGAR in santa monica March 11?


I am!

User avatar
lstwin
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:23 pm

Re: American WCL Class of 2013

Postby lstwin » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:06 pm

jlnoa0915 wrote:I'm admitted but still weighing the options. How do you all plan on paying for AU? Do you think its worth the tuition + COL?


I'm still waiting to hear from a bunch of schools, but I'm leaning towards American. That said, the tution + COL is really freaking me out. Does anyone know when we'll hear about the need-based financial aid?

User avatar
Jules Winnfield
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: American WCL Class of 2013

Postby Jules Winnfield » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:00 pm

lstwin wrote:
jlnoa0915 wrote:I'm admitted but still weighing the options. How do you all plan on paying for AU? Do you think its worth the tuition + COL?


I'm still waiting to hear from a bunch of schools, but I'm leaning towards American. That said, the tution + COL is really freaking me out. Does anyone know when we'll hear about the need-based financial aid?


Probably before the tuition deposit is due, assuming you've submitted your FAFSA/Need Access on time.

And don't freak out about American! It is a much stronger school (especially in DC) than people on TLS would care to acknowledge.

User avatar
phoenix323
Posts: 348
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:01 am

Re: American WCL Class of 2013

Postby phoenix323 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:16 pm

Jules Winnfield wrote:
lstwin wrote:
jlnoa0915 wrote:I'm admitted but still weighing the options. How do you all plan on paying for AU? Do you think its worth the tuition + COL?


I'm still waiting to hear from a bunch of schools, but I'm leaning towards American. That said, the tution + COL is really freaking me out. Does anyone know when we'll hear about the need-based financial aid?


Probably before the tuition deposit is due, assuming you've submitted your FAFSA/Need Access on time.

And don't freak out about American! It is a much stronger school (especially in DC) than people on TLS would care to acknowledge.


Is there some information that you are basing this statement on? I am in at American as well, but I am becoming increasingly nervous about attending because of the high Tuition + COL and the numerous comments that American is not competitive in the saturated DC market compared to schools like GULC, GW, GM, UVA, and the like. The possibility of graduating with 180K of debt and making 40K is very sobering.

Anyone?

lesleydh1984
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:48 pm

Re: American WCL Class of 2013

Postby lesleydh1984 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:43 pm

Hi!

Is anyone planning on attending the Boston alumni brunch this Sunday?

eaters333
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:50 pm

Re: American WCL Class of 2013

Postby eaters333 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:49 pm

jacquimarie wrote:
eaters333 wrote:anyone going to the reception at ROCKSUGAR in santa monica March 11?


I am!



woohoo see you there

User avatar
Jules Winnfield
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: American WCL Class of 2013

Postby Jules Winnfield » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:42 pm

phoenix323 wrote:
Jules Winnfield wrote:And don't freak out about American! It is a much stronger school (especially in DC) than people on TLS would care to acknowledge.


Is there some information that you are basing this statement on? I am in at American as well, but I am becoming increasingly nervous about attending because of the high Tuition + COL and the numerous comments that American is not competitive in the saturated DC market compared to schools like GULC, GW, GM, UVA, and the like. The possibility of graduating with 180K of debt and making 40K is very sobering.

Anyone?


TLS posters and their pessimism!

First off, if you're looking for BIGLAW, then, chances are, you'd be better off at a school like G'town, GW or UVA. American, while it does place in BIGLAW to an extent, is more focused towards public interest/government, international law. This is a reason why American graduates aren't as present in BIGLAW firms as some of the other schools within the same region. This is also probably the reason why TLS sandbags American---because it doesn't place into BIGLAW as easily.

With this said, American is an excellent choice for DC MIDLAW/public interest/international law firms and the alumni network is quite extensive. Even the TLS write-up explained how WCL has a much better national reputation/degree portability than schools similarly ranked. For a regional school, it reaches out. Hell, I'm in Boston and went to the Alumni/Admitted Student Event yesterday (it held a wonderful buffet, BTW) and the alumni in the room raved about how the alumni network at AU helped them place in Boston and NY among other places. They also RAVED about the vast amount of clinical opportunities at the school as well. However, it's a fact that a majority of graduates do remain in DC/VA/MD and find employment there.

Lastly, if one were to graduate at median (or worse) and only make 40K/year starting salary, it doesn't mean that the person is doomed to only making 40K/year for the rest of his or her life. After gaining tenure, attorneys do get raises, increased benefits, etc. Furthermore, if one were to work in the PI sector, there is the school's LRAP program and the federal IBR assistance. So all's not doom and gloom. I'm sure it would not be in the top50 according to USNWR rankings (making a top school) if graduates were fcuked over in terms of employment, etc.

For those who need facts and numbers, check out the numbers of American grads at V100 firms, etc. Look at the specialty rankings (Int'l Law, Clinical Rankings, LLM programs, etc.) and see which other schools are on those lists with the AU (in the top10). Do your research and you'll see that American is in fact a wonderful school, especially for those geared at PI/International law, gov't.

And, remember, most people on TLS are BIGLAW-inclined. This is probably why WCL gets dissed left and right on this site; the price tag also doesn't help either, of course.

User avatar
phoenix323
Posts: 348
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:01 am

Re: American WCL Class of 2013

Postby phoenix323 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:14 pm

Jules Winnfield wrote:
phoenix323 wrote:
Jules Winnfield wrote:And don't freak out about American! It is a much stronger school (especially in DC) than people on TLS would care to acknowledge.


Is there some information that you are basing this statement on? I am in at American as well, but I am becoming increasingly nervous about attending because of the high Tuition + COL and the numerous comments that American is not competitive in the saturated DC market compared to schools like GULC, GW, GM, UVA, and the like. The possibility of graduating with 180K of debt and making 40K is very sobering.

Anyone?


TLS posters and their pessimism!

First off, if you're looking for BIGLAW, then, chances are, you'd be better off at a school like G'town, GW or UVA. American, while it does place in BIGLAW to an extent, is more focused towards public interest/government, international law. This is a reason why American graduates aren't as present in BIGLAW firms as some of the other schools within the same region. This is also probably the reason why TLS sandbags American---because it doesn't place into BIGLAW as easily.

With this said, American is an excellent choice for DC MIDLAW/public interest/international law firms and the alumni network is quite extensive. Even the TLS write-up explained how WCL has a much better national reputation/degree portability than schools similarly ranked. For a regional school, it reaches out. Hell, I'm in Boston and went to the Alumni/Admitted Student Event yesterday (it held a wonderful buffet, BTW) and the alumni in the room raved about how the alumni network at AU helped them place in Boston and NY among other places. They also RAVED about the vast amount of clinical opportunities at the school as well. However, it's a fact that a majority of graduates do remain in DC/VA/MD and find employment there.

Lastly, if one were to graduate at median (or worse) and only make 40K/year starting salary, it doesn't mean that the person is doomed to only making 40K/year for the rest of his or her life. After gaining tenure, attorneys do get raises, increased benefits, etc. Furthermore, if one were to work in the PI sector, there is the school's LRAP program and the federal IBR assistance. So all's not doom and gloom. I'm sure it would not be in the top50 according to USNWR rankings (making a top school) if graduates were fcuked over in terms of employment, etc.

For those who need facts and numbers, check out the numbers of American grads at V100 firms, etc. Look at the specialty rankings (Int'l Law, Clinical Rankings, LLM programs, etc.) and see which other schools are on those lists with the AU (in the top10). Do your research and you'll see that American is in fact a wonderful school, especially for those geared at PI/International law, gov't.

And, remember, most people on TLS are BIGLAW-inclined. This is probably why WCL gets dissed left and right on this site; the price tag also doesn't help either, of course.


I wasn't attempting to be snarky. I won't be able to fly out and see American before I have to make a decision and was looking for some information.

User avatar
Jules Winnfield
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: American WCL Class of 2013

Postby Jules Winnfield » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:47 am

phoenix323 wrote:
Jules Winnfield wrote:
phoenix323 wrote:
Jules Winnfield wrote:And don't freak out about American! It is a much stronger school (especially in DC) than people on TLS would care to acknowledge.


Is there some information that you are basing this statement on? I am in at American as well, but I am becoming increasingly nervous about attending because of the high Tuition + COL and the numerous comments that American is not competitive in the saturated DC market compared to schools like GULC, GW, GM, UVA, and the like. The possibility of graduating with 180K of debt and making 40K is very sobering.

Anyone?


TLS posters and their pessimism!

First off, if you're looking for BIGLAW, then, chances are, you'd be better off at a school like G'town, GW or UVA. American, while it does place in BIGLAW to an extent, is more focused towards public interest/government, international law. This is a reason why American graduates aren't as present in BIGLAW firms as some of the other schools within the same region. This is also probably the reason why TLS sandbags American---because it doesn't place into BIGLAW as easily.

With this said, American is an excellent choice for DC MIDLAW/public interest/international law firms and the alumni network is quite extensive. Even the TLS write-up explained how WCL has a much better national reputation/degree portability than schools similarly ranked. For a regional school, it reaches out. Hell, I'm in Boston and went to the Alumni/Admitted Student Event yesterday (it held a wonderful buffet, BTW) and the alumni in the room raved about how the alumni network at AU helped them place in Boston and NY among other places. They also RAVED about the vast amount of clinical opportunities at the school as well. However, it's a fact that a majority of graduates do remain in DC/VA/MD and find employment there.

Lastly, if one were to graduate at median (or worse) and only make 40K/year starting salary, it doesn't mean that the person is doomed to only making 40K/year for the rest of his or her life. After gaining tenure, attorneys do get raises, increased benefits, etc. Furthermore, if one were to work in the PI sector, there is the school's LRAP program and the federal IBR assistance. So all's not doom and gloom. I'm sure it would not be in the top50 according to USNWR rankings (making a top school) if graduates were fcuked over in terms of employment, etc.

For those who need facts and numbers, check out the numbers of American grads at V100 firms, etc. Look at the specialty rankings (Int'l Law, Clinical Rankings, LLM programs, etc.) and see which other schools are on those lists with the AU (in the top10). Do your research and you'll see that American is in fact a wonderful school, especially for those geared at PI/International law, gov't.

And, remember, most people on TLS are BIGLAW-inclined. This is probably why WCL gets dissed left and right on this site; the price tag also doesn't help either, of course.


I wasn't attempting to be snarky. I won't be able to fly out and see American before I have to make a decision and was looking for some information.


It's all good.

law vida loca
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:01 am

Re: American WCL Class of 2013

Postby law vida loca » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:14 pm

I'll be going to the admit day in March...still not positive but American is looking really good right now. I don't know about you guys, but I've found this whole law admissions process to be a rather interesting reflection on my relationship with prestige...ie, to what extent should i care about rankings? reputation? Whose opinion of the school should matter to me? Does USNWR really value what I value to begin with? Don't know if I'm making sense...but these questions have been on my mind.

Anyway, like many of you, i'm also interested in public interest and i am excited that the culture at American seems to lean the same way.

My question for current students...i've heard that WCL campus is not exactly close to the closest metro stop. Do you all just take the shuttle from the stop to campus? Are there any living options nearby that would be in biking range to campus? And what do you typically pay for rent?

Fiction
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:00 pm

Re: American WCL Class of 2013

Postby Fiction » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:56 pm

edit
Last edited by Fiction on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Generic20101L
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: American WCL Class of 2013

Postby Generic20101L » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:27 am

I visited it and it's super expensive to live. My buddy said one of the most expensive areas of DC. I don't know that there would be housing within walking distance cuase it was all businesses and houses from what I could see. I also felt a very cold vibe from people there. When I visited Howard, I got the exact opposite impression.

User avatar
texas0813
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:01 pm

Re: American WCL Class of 2013

Postby texas0813 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:03 am

My best friend is at AU law right now, so I can answer a lot of your questions about housing via my many conversations with her.

It's correct most law students don't live within walking distance of the school, because the area doesn't have many/if any apartment buildings nearby. The area is filled with houses and families. But this is DC, so the Metro is the answer, and a great one in fact. Live off of the Red Line and get off at the AU/Tenleytown stop. My friend said all the 1L's do this and ride the shuttle to campus together. It comes every 15 minutes and is very convenient and comfortable.

I am looking at living in the Cleveland Park or Woodley Park areas, though Dupont Circle is popular with law students as well. These are all on the red line, it's your key to everything in DC.

law vida loca - I totally agree with you on thoughts about prestige. But I definitely found through the process, its all about what fits best for you and your desires for an educational experience. If it fits, you have a better chance of succeeding and will get the most out of it. I think prestige matters, but only to a certain extent. On your rent question, from my research a studio runs from 1200- 1600-ish. It is very expensive, but of course it all depends on where you live. If you choose to live in Maryland or Virginia the cost will be cheaper of course. The same rings true in all parts of the country: location, location, location! It just depends on how important it is to you!

umichgrad
Posts: 381
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:53 am

Re: American WCL Class of 2013

Postby umichgrad » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:22 pm

There are also at least two buses that run from neighborhoods (Dupont and Columbia Heights, I think) that go directly to the WCL campus (not to the Tenley metro stop).

Expect to pay around 1250-1400 for a studio, 1600-2100 for a one-bd, unless you're living in MD or VA.

User avatar
Langfall
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:04 am

Re: American WCL Class of 2013

Postby Langfall » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:02 am

umichgrad wrote:Expect to pay around 1250-1400 for a studio, 1600-2100 for a one-bd, unless you're living in MD or VA.


   About how much would it be to rent a 2 or 3 bedroom somewhere on or close to the red line. I figure it'd be a good bit cheaper to go the roommates routes. BTW has any one visited the school yet? I havent had the chance and wont be able to make any of the upcoming admitted students conferences.

lafuria
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:05 pm

Re: American WCL Class of 2013

Postby lafuria » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:13 pm

Looks like I'm going to American; I didn't get into any of my alternatives.

Not that I'm upset really, the two things I am most interested in are international and public interest, and American has a great reputation for both, and my preference was DC or New York due to my interest in working internationally. Nothings confirmed yet but I like what I hear.

I'm from Long Island, just graduated from McGill with a BA, and my dream is to work in Argentina or Chile.




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests