American WCL Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
nirwin

Re: American WCL Class of 2013

Postby nirwin » Tue May 11, 2010 5:37 pm

Oh also is anyone thinking about the Legal Analysis program? Or does anyone know anyone who has taken it before and could tell us if they benefited from it?

Not-A-Teabagger

Postby Not-A-Teabagger » Tue May 11, 2010 5:54 pm

nirwin wrote:Oh also is anyone thinking about the Legal Analysis program? Or does anyone know anyone who has taken it before and could tell us if they benefited from it?

From the looks of it, it appears that it is just a remedial course to get those up to speed that American thinks may need a little help before classes begin. I wouldn't waste the money unless you think you may need it.

Reminds me of the Pre-Calculus classes a lot of the D-1 athletes had to take at my undergrad school before they could take Calculus (which was the lowest for-credit math class offered at my school).

nirwin

Postby nirwin » Tue May 11, 2010 8:12 pm

Not-A-Teabagger wrote:
nirwin wrote:Oh also is anyone thinking about the Legal Analysis program? Or does anyone know anyone who has taken it before and could tell us if they benefited from it?

From the looks of it, it appears that it is just a remedial course to get those up to speed that American thinks may need a little help before classes begin. I wouldn't waste the money unless you think you may need it.

Reminds me of the Pre-Calculus classes a lot of the D-1 athletes had to take at my undergrad school before they could take Calculus (which was the lowest for-credit math class offered at my school).

Ya the thing said that it was already included in your tuition if you are full time, that's why I was considering it, I was just more worried about the time

amassherst

Postby amassherst » Wed May 12, 2010 5:47 am

Not-A-Teabagger wrote:

I'm considering it. I wouldn't say it's remedial, though. Nor is it advanced. It's just prep, from the looks of it. And there's no extra tuition money involved, but there is the extra time commitment. I'm leaving my job on Aug 1 and moving to DC at that time anyway, so it doesn't mess with my schedule. I figure it's a chance to get to know some professors, learn the law school ropes, make connections and get into the swing of things earlier. All pros in my book. I just hope that, if I do it, I don't get burned out before the first semester begins.

jetlagz28

Postby jetlagz28 » Wed May 12, 2010 10:49 am

I'm a WCL student and did not participate in the LAP program but I do know students who did. It is designed for students for a number of reasons.
1. Many future students (FS) are concerned about going into the fall because they have been out of school for awhile.
2. FS who have the time to start early and want to earn some credits.
3. FS who are simply nervous about what to expect when school starts and want a heads up.
4. FS who have no idea of the type of work involved in law school or do have an idea and want to prepare for it.
Those are some of the major reasons I have heard from students who went through the program. It seems to exist to prepare students who feel unprepared or who are concerned about their potential performance, whether or not they really need it. How well does it prepare students? I don't know but most students do fine without LAP.

A good chunk of people took it because they moved to D.C early and knew they would have nothing to do before school started. 2 credits is pretty sweet, especially since its included in your tuition.

Its definitely not remedial, otherwise they would not have accepted you. Its simply a prep course for FS.

Bert

Postby Bert » Wed May 12, 2010 11:03 am

Not-A-Teabagger wrote:

So, if WCL invited us to attend, does that mean they consider us to be the remedial law school students? Will a short bus pick us up?

tfc7x

Postby tfc7x » Fri May 14, 2010 2:38 pm

Good question. :) A few more...

Is LAP graded? Did everyone get the "invitation"? I don't have the info in front of me - can someone share the dates of the program?

Bert

Postby Bert » Fri May 14, 2010 2:41 pm

I don't know about it being graded, but my memory is that the LAP programs runs from Aug 4 to Aug 13. I don't know how long it will be each day, or anything other than that.

tfc7x

Postby tfc7x » Fri May 14, 2010 2:45 pm

Bert wrote:I don't know about it being graded, but my memory is that the LAP programs runs from Aug 4 to Aug 13. I don't know how long it will be each day, or anything other than that.

Ok, thanks - I'll look at it again when I get home.

sammyb

Postby sammyb » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:39 am

Hey guys,

Not sure if anyone is still checking this post but I actually took part in the LAP program last year and had a few thoughts to share if you're still debating whether to apply.

I'd say the best part of the program (for me at least) was Professor Ridenour, she was my writing professor for the year and runs the LAP program. She's a wonderful professor and made things worthwhile. She works hard to make the program a good prep.

I know there was some talk that it was "remedial" but that's not true. The point of the program is to teach you how to succeed in LAW school, obviously if you've been accepted to WCL you know how to succeed academically but law school is different. I liked that the program taught us basic yet important skills that are not intuitive, like briefing cases, etc

With that said, although I felt less nervous and more prepared for the first couple weeks of school, everyone else that didn't do LAP caught up just fine. It's not a big deal if you don't do LAP, and some of our most successful students didn't do LAP so really it's what you make of it. The hardest thing for me was that it interferred with my internship in DC for the summer so that was difficult but I made it work.

Oh, and although the bulk of the program is in the summer, you also have hour long meets ups throughout the semester that were actually kind of boring and not always very useful. though towards the end of the semester there was a great program about exam-taking skills that I found helpful.

If you have any questions about it (or WCL in general) feel free to ask, I jus finished my first year and enjoyed my time at WCL a lot.

good luck!

HazelEyes

Postby HazelEyes » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:22 pm

I applied and was accepted into the LAP program. I really want to go, just to ease myself into law school, but wonder if there is any stigma attached to the program, seeing as some people seem to feel that it is remedial.

Langfall

Postby Langfall » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:26 pm

Ill be attending the LAP program. I dont know if people were invited to apply to the program or not but I chose to do so. I cant see why one would care about others' perception of the program considering that after about 2 weeks of work you will have two more credits towards graduating and really thats what its all about, isnt it?

sk08

Postby sk08 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:16 pm

Just got an unexpected e-mail that I've been awadred a small merit scholarship :)

hopefully there is some other money freeing up for others who deposited at AU

phila86

Postby phila86 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:59 pm

have people had luck finding housing? I'm gathering that most find places in early July. anyone going to the housing conference? i plan on attending at least one day, since I'm coming from out of town. hope to see some TLSers there!

sk08

Postby sk08 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:42 pm

phila86 wrote:have people had luck finding housing? I'm gathering that most find places in early July. anyone going to the housing conference? i plan on attending at least one day, since I'm coming from out of town. hope to see some TLSers there!

I live in DC now - I dont't think a lot of August 1 postings will be on craigslist until July 1st. Things move pretty quickly so usually landlords have no problem finding a tenant in 3-4 weeks.

amassherst

Postby amassherst » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:54 pm

I haven't found housing yet. I'm going to the housing conference. And I'm going to LAP. Hope to have an Aug. 1 move-in date.

HazelEyes

Postby HazelEyes » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:27 am

amassherst wrote:I haven't found housing yet. I'm going to the housing conference. And I'm going to LAP. Hope to have an Aug. 1 move-in date.

I think you're me. Same story. Do people go to housing conference for the whole thing? Part of it? I can't decide which end is more important.

amassherst

Postby amassherst » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:14 pm

HazelEyes wrote:
amassherst wrote:I haven't found housing yet. I'm going to the housing conference. And I'm going to LAP. Hope to have an Aug. 1 move-in date.

I think you're me. Same story. Do people go to housing conference for the whole thing? Part of it? I can't decide which end is more important.

I'm going for the whole thing. From June 26 to July 1. Flights were much cheaper for me if I flew on the 26th rather than the 28th. I'm sort of glad I'll be in the area for 5 days. It'll make the housing gold rush feel less rushed. I have some appointments set up for apartment viewings. Mainly in Dupont Cir and Glover Park. Didn't really manage to get anything within convenient walking distance from WCL, which was my goal.

HazelEyes

Postby HazelEyes » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:37 pm

amassherst wrote:
HazelEyes wrote:

I'm going for the whole thing. From June 26 to July 1. Flights were much cheaper for me if I flew on the 26th rather than the 28th. I'm sort of glad I'll be in the area for 5 days. It'll make the housing gold rush feel less rushed. I have some appointments set up for apartment viewings. Mainly in Dupont Cir and Glover Park. Didn't really manage to get anything within convenient walking distance from WCL, which was my goal.

Yea, i'm very torn between living right near the school, and living somewhere with more of a social life.

Langfall

Postby Langfall » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:28 am

Hey
its been a while since I have been able to post but I'm also going to be at / at the housing conference. I'm wearing a gray tank top and heat and white stripped pants. I will also no doubt be sporting a black bookbag. Come say hi if you see me eh!

HazelEyes

Postby HazelEyes » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:07 am

I'll be there tomorrow. Not sure what i'll be wearing. :)

Kiran

Postby Kiran » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:43 pm

If anyone is looking for housing, I'm a 3L and I'm studying abroad in Barcelona in the fall and I need someone to take over our apartment. It's a 2 BDRM 2 BA 2 walk in closet, huge apartment in Columbia Heights. Best neighborhood to be in for convenience and fun. Take the H4 to Tenleytown and get the shuttle, it takes 15-20 mins. My email is km5294a@student.american.edu if you are interested.

Langfall

Postby Langfall » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:57 pm

Hey if anyone is still looking for housing Im looking (along with 2 other people and one cat) at a 5 bedroom house in Bethesda that is about a 10 min bike ride from the WCL according to google maps. The cost will be about $3800+ utilities per month divided between either 4 or 5 people. We are looking at trying to capture this place pretty quickly since DC real estate goes pretty fast but if you may be interested just shoot me a PM.

tfc7x

Postby tfc7x » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:14 pm

Anyone signed up for the public interest day on Aug 17th?

sk08

Postby sk08 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:26 am

Are there any current students who use a macbook? Or, has anyone spoken to the school about using a mac? The website says only PC are "supported" but that they have a "mac and windows client" for their current exam software?

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”