American WCL Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
sk08

New

Re: American WCL Class of 2013

Post by sk08 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:40 am

Did anyone attend the most recent ASD and would they mind posting a little recap?

sk08

New

Post by sk08 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:40 am

Did anyone attend the most recent ASD and would they mind posting a little recap?

lafuria

New

Post by lafuria » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:11 am

I have a silly question, does anyone know if there's a WCL Class of 2013 facebook group? If not, is anyone up for creating one with me?
sk08 wrote:Did anyone attend the most recent ASD and would they mind posting a little recap?
For me at least it was what I expected, they answered our questions about the 1L experience and let us tour the building. They gave us a slight overview of housing and finances too, which are probably the two things I'm the most afraid about.

The mock class was a basic constitutional law analysis of two supreme court cases dealing with political expression; it was straight forward but it was nice to get a sample of dissecting cases even if it was much simpler than most of what we are going to study in 1L.

I got a pretty favourable impression overall. The location is a bit too suburban for my taste but the commute isn't as bad as I expected, it took me less than 45 minutes to get there from the GWU residence I was crashing at, and if I can find an apartment along the red line it will be even quicker. The facility seems very good for the most part and I think the school's emphasis on ethics and doing the right thing will keep me interested, while the other visiting students had diverse and interesting backgrounds.

I think those that skipped the ASD events should be fine, I feel better about my decision but there's still a lot to learn when I move to DC in August.

Mardou

New

Post by Mardou » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:41 am

[quote="lafuria"]I have a silly question, does anyone know if there's a WCL Class of 2013 facebook group? If not, is anyone up for creating one with me?

Yes, there is a facebook group:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=117392608279688

lafuria

New

Post by lafuria » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:52 pm

Mardou wrote:
lafuria wrote:I have a silly question, does anyone know if there's a WCL Class of 2013 facebook group? If not, is anyone up for creating one with me?

Yes, there is a facebook group:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=117392608279688
Cheers

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sias

Bronze

Post by Sias » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:47 pm

Anyone in Boston want to meet up for drinks sometime?

amassherst

New

Post by amassherst » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:14 pm

Nice, a Facebook group!
sk08 wrote:Did anyone attend the most recent ASD and would they mind posting a little recap?
I attended. The recap above covers it all, pretty much. I left looking forward to starting in the fall. I'll just add that, after visiting, I decided that I definitely want to live very close to the campus so I don't have to take the Metro every day. The day before the program, I took the Metro from Dupont Circle to Tenley/AU and it took me an hour from the time I got to the train station to the time I arrived at WCL. Granted I did just miss a train and had to wait approx 15min for the next one and I walked from the Tenley/AU stop rather than taking the shuttle, nonetheless I felt it would be a pain having to take the Metro every morning.

The campus is in a suburban part of D.C., which has its good and bad points. I like the convenience of urban neighborhoods where I can easily walk to a corner grocery store and have lots of amenities and services available right on and around my block. That's not at all the case in the WCL neighborhood.

I did find out during the Ask A Student lunch panel session that WCL is affectionately nicknamed by the students "We Cater Lunch" because so many talks and events are scheduled during lunch time and food is almost always provided.

lafuria

New

Post by lafuria » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:24 pm

amassherst wrote:Nice, a Facebook group!
I attended. The recap above covers it all, pretty much. I left looking forward to starting in the fall. I'll just add that, after visiting, I decided that I definitely want to live very close to the campus so I don't have to take the Metro every day. The day before the program, I took the Metro from Dupont Circle to Tenley/AU and it took me an hour from the time I got to the train station to the time I arrived at WCL. Granted I did just miss a train and had to wait approx 15min for the next one and I walked from the Tenley/AU stop rather than taking the shuttle, nonetheless I felt it would be a pain having to take the Metro every morning.

The campus is in a suburban part of D.C., which has its good and bad points. I like the convenience of urban neighborhoods where I can easily walk to a corner grocery store and have lots of amenities and services available right on and around my block. That's not at all the case in the WCL neighborhood.

I did find out during the Ask A Student lunch panel session that WCL is affectionately nicknamed by the students "We Cater Lunch" because so many talks and events are scheduled during lunch time and food is almost always provided.
Funny, I felt the opposite way. I was tired and honestly a little hung over, expecting an awful commute, but it ended up being a lot easier than I expected. I'm used to a 20-30 minute commute to school in Montreal and even with the transferring and shuttle it was all straightforward enough to do it there. Ideally I'll live on the red line and have to deal with less than the 45 minutes it took from Foggy Bottom, but either way that sounds much more appealing than living in the suburban neighbourhood surrounding the school. I feel more comfortable in lively neighborhoods and as busy as 1L is going to be, I still want to live around places open late, to me living by amenities and food is more important than living by school.

How long of a walk was it from the metro stop by the way? The shuttle wasn't bad at all but I'll probably want to walk it when I have time.

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:18 am

lafuria wrote:How long of a walk was it from the metro stop by the way? The shuttle wasn't bad at all but I'll probably want to walk it when I have time.
It is a fairly long walk -- about 15 - 25 minutes, depending on how quickly you walk, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

amassherst

New

Post by amassherst » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:32 am

Bert wrote:
lafuria wrote:How long of a walk was it from the metro stop by the way? The shuttle wasn't bad at all but I'll probably want to walk it when I have time.
Hey, I agree with the 15-25 minutes. When I walked from the shuttle stop, I basically retraced the path of the shuttle, which was the longer way to walk. I did just want to walk by the main campus, so that's why I did that. I estimate that it took me about 20 mins to do that walk. If I just walked the road that goes directly from the shuttle stop to WCL, it probably would have been just under 15 mins. I walk fairly quickly.

lafuria

New

Post by lafuria » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:51 pm

That's actually better than I expected, I'm a freakishly fast walker and 15-20 minutes is nothing for me. I probably won't have time to do that most mornings but I guess it will be a trial and error thing. First things first is to find roommates anyway.

twilightdims

New

Post by twilightdims » Mon May 03, 2010 12:37 am

For those of you looking for roommates, what's your plan? I saw that a couple of people were posting on Craigslist for shared space, and there's the housing conference at the end of June (which feels like it's going to feel last minute and rushed), but I'm really surprised there isn't an official incoming students forum or something to put new WCL students together.

Ideally I'd love to find a roommate with similar living goals before going down to the housing conference, so we can look at a place and decide together; otherwise it's just likely to be a feeding frenzy down there. If WCL has something like this that exists... I haven't found it.

Langfall

New

Post by Langfall » Mon May 03, 2010 6:55 am

twilightdims wrote:For those of you looking for roommates, what's your plan? I saw that a couple of people were posting on Craigslist for shared space, and there's the housing conference at the end of June (which feels like it's going to feel last minute and rushed), but I'm really surprised there isn't an official incoming students forum or something to put new WCL students together.

Ideally I'd love to find a roommate with similar living goals before going down to the housing conference, so we can look at a place and decide together; otherwise it's just likely to be a feeding frenzy down there. If WCL has something like this that exists... I haven't found it.

The admissions counselor once sent me an email mentioning an Incoming Students' blog. She said that we should get an email about it either late April or early May. Considering April is already over Id assume we should be receiving that email sometime in the next week or so. Although there is also the Off-Campus posting message board and good ole TLS

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tfc7x

New

Post by tfc7x » Mon May 03, 2010 1:55 pm

Yes... would love to know about message board...

Also, anyone attending WCL who's been working for a while? Are you donig anything to get back into "school mode"?

lesleydh1984

New

Post by lesleydh1984 » Wed May 05, 2010 11:42 pm

Sias wrote:Anyone in Boston want to meet up for drinks sometime?
I'm definitely down! Shoot me a message!

The Invisible Man

New

Post by The Invisible Man » Thu May 06, 2010 12:07 pm

Can anyone tell me what they think of the Silver Spring area?

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Fri May 07, 2010 4:01 pm

tfc7x wrote:Also, anyone attending WCL who's been working for a while? Are you donig anything to get back into "school mode"?
I hear the best thing to do is nothing.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Not-A-Teabagger

New

Post by Not-A-Teabagger » Fri May 07, 2010 6:56 pm

anyone else having trouble logging on to the new admitted students web portal?

frecklesmclean0002

New

Post by frecklesmclean0002 » Fri May 07, 2010 7:36 pm

Not-A-Teabagger wrote:anyone else having trouble logging on to the new admitted students web portal?
+1

Not-A-Teabagger

New

Post by Not-A-Teabagger » Fri May 07, 2010 7:41 pm

Looks like they sent the notifications of the portal before they were ready. I just emailed my counselor, so hopefully they are aware of the problem.

The Invisible Man

New

Post by The Invisible Man » Fri May 07, 2010 10:19 pm

frecklesmclean0002 wrote:
Not-A-Teabagger wrote:anyone else having trouble logging on to the new admitted students web portal?
+1
+2

Freckles, were you at the ASD?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Not-A-Teabagger

New

Post by Not-A-Teabagger » Sun May 09, 2010 5:12 pm

The Invisible Man wrote:
+1
+2

New Portal now working for me. Though it leaves a lot to be desired.

frecklesmclean0002

New

Post by frecklesmclean0002 » Mon May 10, 2010 4:51 pm

The Invisible Man wrote:
+1
+2

Yea! I was the girl who got caught laughing during an awkwardly silent moment in the financial aid lecture :oops:

nirwin

New

Post by nirwin » Tue May 11, 2010 1:55 am

Hey! I was accepted to American awhile ago but I just found this board! Anyone else from Southern California? I am also looking for probably one roommate at most 2. I would ideally like to live near the red line or as close to campus as possible! Let me know if you are interested :)

Also, who is going to the housing conference? I don't know if its worth flying out from California at the end of June to have to fly back out again at the beginning of August. Any thoughts?

amassherst

New

Post by amassherst » Tue May 11, 2010 5:39 am

The Invisible Man wrote:
+1
+2

Yea! I was the girl who got caught laughing during an awkwardly silent moment in the financial aid lecture :oops:
HA! I remember that. Yeah, pretty awkward.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”