Chicago-Kent Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
angiej
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:25 am

Re: Chicago-Kent Class of 2013

Postby angiej » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:22 pm

lawdogg wrote:
angiej wrote:
lawdogg wrote:
angiej wrote:Its okay - I may be have been a little ambigous. My apologies - please understand - I'm in LSAT PERGATORY!!!


Haha that's fun! Kaplan course / study books?


4 months self-study with Powerscore Bibles and 12-15ish preptests. I work full-time and attend undergrad full-time so though I studied for a calendar span of 4 months, I feel like my actual time spent was less than a lot of other overachieving TLSers. I may retake in October.


Wow, good work. I'm sure you'll do fine.

Where are you in undergrad / for what?

Thanks! The suspense of the constant refreshing of the LSAC website is getting to me. Plus this is my finals week for first summer session at my undergrad. I pm'ed you re my undergrad study.

helfer snooterbagon
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:04 pm

Re: Chicago-Kent Class of 2013

Postby helfer snooterbagon » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:41 pm

lawdogg wrote:
helfer snooterbagon wrote:In case anyone is interested, I am about to start my 4th and final year at Kent. Happy to answer questions.


What's a good amount of loan $ to take out for living expenses per semester? (Assuming you're living off loan money only ...)

What kinda laptop should I get?

Where should I live? / How should I find a place or roommates?

Thanks!!


I am a married guy who lives out in the suburbs, so it is a little difficult for me to talk knowledgeably about living expenses.


Laptop wise: Are you leaning towards MAC? The school has gotten better and better about supporting Macs. Other than that, you don't need anything fancy. I think the school will send you some specific guidance as well.

Hard to tell you where to live without knowing what you are looking for. Are you more concerned about price, location etc?

User avatar
lawdogg
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 8:43 pm

Re: Chicago-Kent Class of 2013

Postby lawdogg » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:59 pm

helfer snooterbagon wrote:I am a married guy who lives out in the suburbs, so it is a little difficult for me to talk knowledgeably about living expenses.


Laptop wise: Are you leaning towards MAC? The school has gotten better and better about supporting Macs. Other than that, you don't need anything fancy. I think the school will send you some specific guidance as well.

Hard to tell you where to live without knowing what you are looking for. Are you more concerned about price, location etc?


Thanks! I'm a single guy looking to live wherever. Rent seems to be about $1k in the city, a little less in the burbs, at least from what I can see on Craigslist. I'm just trying to figure out how much of my potential GradPLUS loan to take out solely for living expenses, from a possible $10.6k / semester.

Laptop wise, leaning PC. Just bought a brand new desktop (d'oh) and kind of trying to decide whether a netbook would be worth it, or whether it's smarter to have a full sized laptop.

With living, I'm concerned with all of the above. :p Would like to be in Lincoln Park or something similar. Don't mind commuting on the el, I won't have a car. Don't want to spend more than I have to on rent, without sacrificing the quality of the neighborhood ... you know?

User avatar
angiej
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:25 am

Re: Chicago-Kent Class of 2013

Postby angiej » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:10 pm

lawdogg wrote:
helfer snooterbagon wrote:I am a married guy who lives out in the suburbs, so it is a little difficult for me to talk knowledgeably about living expenses.


Laptop wise: Are you leaning towards MAC? The school has gotten better and better about supporting Macs. Other than that, you don't need anything fancy. I think the school will send you some specific guidance as well.

Hard to tell you where to live without knowing what you are looking for. Are you more concerned about price, location etc?


Thanks! I'm a single guy looking to live wherever. Rent seems to be about $1k in the city, a little less in the burbs, at least from what I can see on Craigslist. I'm just trying to figure out how much of my potential GradPLUS loan to take out solely for living expenses, from a possible $10.6k / semester.

Laptop wise, leaning PC. Just bought a brand new desktop (d'oh) and kind of trying to decide whether a netbook would be worth it, or whether it's smarter to have a full sized laptop.

With living, I'm concerned with all of the above. :p Would like to be in Lincoln Park or something similar. Don't mind commuting on the el, I won't have a car. Don't want to spend more than I have to on rent, without sacrificing the quality of the neighborhood ... you know?


There are a few threads on TLS about laptops - search "the ideal law school laptop" or something. I use a netbook and LOVE it. But I got one with a 95% or so standard keyboard size while many others are only 90% keyboard size (trust me, it actually makes a difference). If you do a 10 inch screen its not too bad and weights 2lbs. But I also have a 12inch HP and it weighs the equivalent of a ton of bricks!!!

MKE111
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:56 pm

Re: Chicago-Kent Class of 2013

Postby MKE111 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:00 am

*

Bucky83
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:05 am

Re: Chicago-Kent Class of 2013

Postby Bucky83 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:18 am

Received my schedule I am in Section C.

-Torts-Wright
-Criminal Law-Heyman
-Contracts-Batlan

Anyone else get their section assignments? Any info on the professors? Feel free to PM me.

User avatar
as stars burn
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: Chicago-Kent Class of 2013

Postby as stars burn » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:28 am

Bucky83 wrote:Received my schedule I am in Section C.

-Torts-Wright
-Criminal Law-Heyman
-Contracts-Batlan

Anyone else get their section assignments? Any info on the professors? Feel free to PM me.


Dang! I am dying to get mine! I'm PT though! Will more than likely switch to FT after 1L.

User avatar
lawdogg
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 8:43 pm

Re: Chicago-Kent Class of 2013

Postby lawdogg » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:51 am

No schedule for me yet.

roofles
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Chicago-Kent Class of 2013

Postby roofles » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:50 pm

Bucky83 wrote:Received my schedule I am in Section C.

-Torts-Wright
-Criminal Law-Heyman
-Contracts-Batlan

Anyone else get their section assignments? Any info on the professors? Feel free to PM me.
Last edited by roofles on Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lawdogg
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 8:43 pm

Re: Chicago-Kent Class of 2013

Postby lawdogg » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:15 pm

Huh, even on my.iit it's showing me OK to register, but not registered for anything yet. :?: :?:

LawMuns
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Chicago-Kent Class of 2013

Postby LawMuns » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:54 pm

I am section A. I got mine in California yesterday. See you at Orientation.

toolfan
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:11 pm

Re: Chicago-Kent Class of 2013

Postby toolfan » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:50 pm

I'll be living in Lakeview off of Belmont. Maybe we can arrange some pre semester shenanigans at a pub?

User avatar
NervousInKC
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:45 pm

Re: Chicago-Kent Class of 2013

Postby NervousInKC » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:30 pm

where are you guys finding the information about sections? Is it just your section and profs, or your full schedule with times and everything?

Bucky83
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:05 am

Re: Chicago-Kent Class of 2013

Postby Bucky83 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:43 pm

NervousInKC wrote:where are you guys finding the information about sections? Is it just your section and profs, or your full schedule with times and everything?


Received a packet in the mail, it included a full schedule.

Bucky83
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:05 am

Re: Chicago-Kent Class of 2013

Postby Bucky83 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:54 pm

toolfan wrote:I'll be living in Lakeview off of Belmont. Maybe we can arrange some pre semester shenanigans at a pub?


Sounds like a great idea...I am in the Lakeview area as well.

User avatar
lawdogg
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 8:43 pm

Re: Chicago-Kent Class of 2013

Postby lawdogg » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:23 am

Bucky83 wrote:Received my schedule I am in Section C.

-Torts-Wright
-Criminal Law-Heyman
-Contracts-Batlan

Anyone else get their section assignments? Any info on the professors? Feel free to PM me.


I'm also in Section C.

Contracts - Batlan
Criminal Law - Heyman
Torts - Wright
Legal Writing 1 - TBA

:mrgreen:

Bucky83
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:05 am

Re: Chicago-Kent Class of 2013

Postby Bucky83 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:32 am

lawdogg wrote:
Bucky83 wrote:Received my schedule I am in Section C.

-Torts-Wright
-Criminal Law-Heyman
-Contracts-Batlan

Anyone else get their section assignments? Any info on the professors? Feel free to PM me.


I'm also in Section C.

Contracts - Batlan
Criminal Law - Heyman
Torts - Wright
Legal Writing 1 - TBA

:mrgreen:


Nice! I've heard good things so far about Heyman. Mixed reviews on Wright and absolutely nothing on Batlan.

orangeandblue4127
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:39 pm

Re: Chicago-Kent Class of 2013

Postby orangeandblue4127 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:37 am

Bucky83 wrote:
lawdogg wrote:
Bucky83 wrote:Received my schedule I am in Section C.

-Torts-Wright
-Criminal Law-Heyman
-Contracts-Batlan

Anyone else get their section assignments? Any info on the professors? Feel free to PM me.


I'm also in Section C.

Contracts - Batlan
Criminal Law - Heyman
Torts - Wright
Legal Writing 1 - TBA

:mrgreen:


Nice! I've heard good things so far about Heyman. Mixed reviews on Wright and absolutely nothing on Batlan.


I have the same schedule and section as you guys. And did someone say pub?

User avatar
lawdogg
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 8:43 pm

Re: Chicago-Kent Class of 2013

Postby lawdogg » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:04 am

Pub sounds awesome. I just need to find a place to live. :oops: Probably won't be in Chicago until early August. Up here in Vermont till then.
Last edited by lawdogg on Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

toolfan
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:11 pm

Re: Chicago-Kent Class of 2013

Postby toolfan » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:37 am

Yes, yes pub! I won't be in Chicago until late July/very early August. But I would really like to arrange something.

User avatar
as stars burn
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: Chicago-Kent Class of 2013

Postby as stars burn » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:43 am

Got my schedule a few days ago...I'm PT evening division so I won't see many of you in class, but would like to hang out anyway. I'll be in Chicago probably first/second week in August.

Bucky83
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:05 am

Re: Chicago-Kent Class of 2013

Postby Bucky83 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:52 am

Maybe we should shoot for the second week of August? Most people who want to get together should be in Chi-town by then I would imagine.

User avatar
NervousInKC
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:45 pm

Re: Chicago-Kent Class of 2013

Postby NervousInKC » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:26 pm

Bucky83 wrote:
lawdogg wrote:
Bucky83 wrote:Received my schedule I am in Section C.

-Torts-Wright
-Criminal Law-Heyman
-Contracts-Batlan

Anyone else get their section assignments? Any info on the professors? Feel free to PM me.


I'm also in Section C.

Contracts - Batlan
Criminal Law - Heyman
Torts - Wright
Legal Writing 1 - TBA

:mrgreen:


Nice! I've heard good things so far about Heyman. Mixed reviews on Wright and absolutely nothing on Batlan.


Batlan is awesome. I really liked her when I met her anyway....

User avatar
NervousInKC
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:45 pm

Re: Chicago-Kent Class of 2013

Postby NervousInKC » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:28 pm

I'm at work right now, but I remember seeing section "2" on my schedule last night.... I was kinda drowsy so I didn't notice any letters lol. I will take a look when I get home... I know I didn't have the teachers it seems that all of you have, though.

b.j.
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:06 am

Re: Chicago-Kent Class of 2013

Postby b.j. » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:37 am

Anyone here of anything in regards to deferred or wait listed applicants?




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest