Chicago-Kent Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
as stars burn

Silver

Re: Chicago-Kent Class of 2013

Post by as stars burn » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:34 pm

awarunn wrote:Is it necessary for me to buy the 3rd edition of Law School Without Fear or can I get by with the second edition. The price difference is pretty big.
Honestly, I don't really know...I went ahead and bit the bullet for the 3rd edition. No cutting corners for me, haha.

lawdogg

New

Post by lawdogg » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:04 am

Any advice about where to look for an apartment or roommate wanted?

NervousInKC

Bronze

Post by NervousInKC » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:07 pm

I still haven't accepted my financial aid award... if I accept, what exactly does it mean? Am I locked in? As in, if I were to get in off a waitlist, could I back out with no penalty? I've never had loans before so this is unfamiliar territory.

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:24 am

NervousInKC wrote:I still haven't accepted my financial aid award... if I accept, what exactly does it mean? Am I locked in? As in, if I were to get in off a waitlist, could I back out with no penalty? I've never had loans before so this is unfamiliar territory.
I'd contact the financial aid office and ask to be sure. You have until next year to accept the loans, however, I was told by the office to accept whatever loans I need by the middle of June (this ensures that the loans money is released on time, and gives the office time to do paperwork for your loan). I'm not taking out any Gradplus loans so I won't have to go through all that credit check crap...I'm sure things are different with that loan.

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:15 pm

My apologies for this somewhat OT post - but I'm applying to Chicago-Kent this fall (for 2011 admission) and I was looking at the 2010 app on lsac today and noticed two things I had not seen on other apps:

1) It requires a supplement statement if I chose the "part-time day" program. Why? What should I write in this statement?

2) It asks me to list my high school (including gpa). :shock: Why? I had a 1.8 gpa and barely graduated. (Yet have a 3.8 undergrad gpa and am in a very different place now (7 years later) I also attended cosmetology school during high school (vocational education type of thing) do I list that as well? I'm a little embarassed that I at one point wanted to be, and worked as, a hairstylist.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

roofles

New

Post by roofles » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:31 pm

angiej wrote:My apologies for this somewhat OT post - but I'm applying to Chicago-Kent this fall (for 2011 admission) and I was looking at the 2010 app on lsac today and noticed two things I had not seen on other apps:

1) It requires a supplement statement if I chose the "part-time day" program. Why? What should I write in this statement?

2) It asks me to list my high school (including gpa). :shock: Why? I had a 1.8 gpa and barely graduated. (Yet have a 3.8 undergrad gpa and am in a very different place now (7 years later) I also attended cosmetology school during high school (vocational education type of thing) do I list that as well? I'm a little embarassed that I at one point wanted to be, and worked as, a hairstylist.
For #2 - I didn't submit a HS gpa on my application because I didn't have access to it before the deadline (I'm 10 years and an 8 hour drive removed from my high school). I did take bunch of dual enrollment HS/college courses for three years in high school and included that data/transcript seperately. If you are aware of your high school gpa or can get your hands on a hs transcript, I would defintely be truthful. If anything, you can use your academic progression as a basis for your personal statement or additional essay.

lawdogg

New

Post by lawdogg » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:12 am

I didn't submit a part-time day statement since I was only applying for full-time. So, I think it follows that if you want to consider part-time day, you should submit the statement.

So ... I submitted my mentor request and roommate wanted forms last night. Here's hoping they both work out.

I started thinking about Taylor Lofts ... probably wouldn't be a bad idea, furnished with a big TV, and can get a single studio. Or a two bedroom if you had a roomie. But I can't find pricing anywhere on their website. :?:

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:23 am

lawdogg wrote:I didn't submit a part-time day statement since I was only applying for full-time. So, I think it follows that if you want to consider part-time day, you should submit the statement.

So ... I submitted my mentor request and roommate wanted forms last night. Here's hoping they both work out.

I started thinking about Taylor Lofts ... probably wouldn't be a bad idea, furnished with a big TV, and can get a single studio. Or a two bedroom if you had a roomie. But I can't find pricing anywhere on their website. :?:
I just leased a studio at Tailor Lofts with my fiancé for a pretty sweet deal (they're running specials right now---my studio is $200 less than it usually is--it's actually equal to what we pay here in Florida--granted it's a little smaller, but we'll live). Just send them an email and they'll give you all the rates. I've lived in all-inclusive housing before for undergrad and liked that I didn't have to worry about separate bills (the only thing you can get screwed on is electricity..there is a cap, and if you go over...you have to pay the difference, but I'm very good with electricity usage and have never gone over before). We'll probably move after the first year, but I figured it was a good starting point. I'm very debt averse so all COL expenses are coming out of pocket, and I'm just taking out enough loans to pay for the rest of my tuition that my scholarship isn't paying for.

lewis louis

Bronze

Post by lewis louis » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:27 am

I think a studio runs around 900-1100? It is all inclusive, but still extremely pricey.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawdogg

New

Post by lawdogg » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:21 pm

Thanks for the info. I have a friend who has a $500/mo room opening up in Lincoln Park, and cousin in the city who might have a room. I will look into those first. $1k for a studio like that, with an electricity quota, seems a little steep. I with you on the debt-free.

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:06 pm

lawdogg wrote:I didn't submit a part-time day statement since I was only applying for full-time. So, I think it follows that if you want to consider part-time day, you should submit the statement.

I know I have to submit it if I am applying to part-time day - the app says its required. Was anyone in this situation and could tell me what they wrote? Do I just say "because I need part time and learn better during the day?" Or what???

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:34 pm

lewis louis wrote:I think a studio runs around 900-1100? It is all inclusive, but still extremely pricey.
Yeah, you're right...it is a little pricey but not by a whole lot. I live in Florida...land of pretty cheap housing, and we're paying no more living in Chicago; in fact, it's exactly the same. The studio is a little bit smaller, but it'll be fine for the first year and then we can move somewhere a little cheaper once we really scout the area.

lawdogg

New

Post by lawdogg » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:05 am

After putting my name on it, I got the 'roommate wanted' list and was very underwhelmed. It is not a large list. Time to keep looking. Clock's a tickin'. :shock:
angiej wrote:I know I have to submit it if I am applying to part-time day - the app says its required. Was anyone in this situation and could tell me what they wrote? Do I just say "because I need part time and learn better during the day?" Or what???
I just looked through my submitted Chicago-Kent application as retained as a PDF on LSAC's website, and there was no such request on that application. The only statement requested, required or optional, was the personal statement.

Their supplemental form does have a section titled 'Part-Time Day Supplemental Statement' which says explicitly 'Required only for applicants to the Part-Time Day Division'. I.e. if you're applying for part-time day, you fill that out. Now reach into your LSAT toolbag and find the contrapositive, if you don't fill that out, you aren't applying for the part-time day program. LOL! :lol:

Anyway, as follows by the fact that you've read that and are completing a statement, I assume you are applying for the Part-Time Day Division? Because if you aren't, you wouldn't complete that statement.

Just trying to help. :oops:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nit00

New

Post by nit00 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:40 am

angiej wrote:I know I have to submit it if I am applying to part-time day - the app says its required. Was anyone in this situation and could tell me what they wrote? Do I just say "because I need part time and learn better during the day?" Or what???
I believe you have to have a legitimate reason for going during the day versus the night, like your job is at night so therefore you have to attend day classes PT. I don't think learning better during the day is going to cut it.

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:57 pm

nit00 wrote:
I believe you have to have a legitimate reason for going during the day versus the night, like your job is at night so therefore you have to attend day classes PT. I don't think learning better during the day is going to cut it.
It just seems like an odd thing to have to write a supplement for. I've never seen this required anywhere else. If I got into Chicago I would be relocating, how the heck would I know if my job will require me to be part-time day/evening by the time I actually enter school a year later.

And lawdogg - thanks for the smartass comment. I realize I have to write it, I just wondered what anyone else may have said as why.

lawdogg

New

Post by lawdogg » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:31 pm

angiej wrote:And lawdogg - thanks for the smartass comment. I realize I have to write it, I just wondered what anyone else may have said as why.
Wasn't meant to be, was just trying to understand what you were asking. I totally mis-read what you were asking and continued with my ignorance through my answer .. d'oh!

Wish I could help more! Good luck ..

nit00

New

Post by nit00 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:43 pm

angiej wrote:
nit00 wrote:
It just seems like an odd thing to have to write a supplement for. I've never seen this required anywhere else. If I got into Chicago I would be relocating, how the heck would I know if my job will require me to be part-time day/evening by the time I actually enter school a year later.
It's mostly because they have a limited number of seats available for PT Day students, so they are more apt to give them to people who really need them because of employment or family circumstances that prevent them from attending at night.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:56 pm

lawdogg wrote:
angiej wrote:And lawdogg - thanks for the smartass comment. I realize I have to write it, I just wondered what anyone else may have said as why.
Wasn't meant to be, was just trying to understand what you were asking. I totally mis-read what you were asking and continued with my ignorance through my answer .. d'oh!

Wish I could help more! Good luck ..
Its okay - I may be have been a little ambigous. My apologies - please understand - I'm in LSAT PERGATORY!!!

helfer snooterbagon

Bronze

Post by helfer snooterbagon » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:01 pm

In case anyone is interested, I am about to start my 4th and final year at Kent. Happy to answer questions.

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:03 pm

I assume this means you are a part-timer?

helfer snooterbagon

Bronze

Post by helfer snooterbagon » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:09 pm

Yes. Although I did my first year full time but switched to part time to take advantage of a great opportunity.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lawdogg

New

Post by lawdogg » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:03 pm

helfer snooterbagon wrote:In case anyone is interested, I am about to start my 4th and final year at Kent. Happy to answer questions.
What's a good amount of loan $ to take out for living expenses per semester? (Assuming you're living off loan money only ...)

What kinda laptop should I get?

Where should I live? / How should I find a place or roommates?

Thanks!!

lawdogg

New

Post by lawdogg » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:05 pm

angiej wrote:Its okay - I may be have been a little ambigous. My apologies - please understand - I'm in LSAT PERGATORY!!!
Haha that's fun! Kaplan course / study books?

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:08 pm

lawdogg wrote:
angiej wrote:Its okay - I may be have been a little ambigous. My apologies - please understand - I'm in LSAT PERGATORY!!!
4 months self-study with Powerscore Bibles and 12-15ish preptests. I work full-time and attend undergrad full-time so though I studied for a calendar span of 4 months, I feel like my actual time spent was less than a lot of other overachieving TLSers. I may retake in October.

lawdogg

New

Post by lawdogg » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:13 pm

angiej wrote:
lawdogg wrote:
4 months self-study with Powerscore Bibles and 12-15ish preptests. I work full-time and attend undergrad full-time so though I studied for a calendar span of 4 months, I feel like my actual time spent was less than a lot of other overachieving TLSers. I may retake in October.
Wow, good work. I'm sure you'll do fine.

Where are you in undergrad / for what?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”