Michigan State Law Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
roecyris

New

Re: Michigan State Law Class of 2013

Post by roecyris » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:10 am

Accepted via voicemail!!

In with a 3.35/158

As far as $$ offers, did they tell most people over the phone? My message simply said they would be considering people in April for scholarships, but obviously some people have already recieved offers so I'm curious if anyone knows anything else.

raskolnikov32

New

Post by raskolnikov32 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:25 am

Last edited by raskolnikov32 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:49 am

roecyris wrote:Accepted via voicemail!!

In with a 3.35/158

As far as $$ offers, did they tell most people over the phone? My message simply said they would be considering people in April for scholarships, but obviously some people have already recieved offers so I'm curious if anyone knows anything else.
Yeah, after people like me who have been offered $$ don't turn in seat deposits, it'll free up that cash -- you will hopefully get something.

powerlurker

New

Post by powerlurker » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:04 pm

In via email earlier today, stats are 2.65/165. Judging by the rest of this thread it seems like a lot of people heard over the phone. No mention of any scholarship $ in the email, just says my acceptance package is in the mail. Has anybody heard via email and have it contain scholarship info? Hopefully not so I can hold out some hope that I'll get some good news in the mail.

roecyris

New

Post by roecyris » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:44 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:
roecyris wrote:Accepted via voicemail!!

In with a 3.35/158

Yeah, after people like me who have been offered $$ don't turn in seat deposits, it'll free up that cash -- you will hopefully get something.
Any chance I can convince you to withdraw now? :lol:

I think I'll have to wait to hear about some $$ from MSU before moving them up on my list. It's just so far from home and no where near where I'd want to practice (Penn, Del. & Maryland), that a little $$ would be necessary to sweeten the deal for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mikeddaqb

New

Post by mikeddaqb » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:22 am

Does anyone have any idea how many students from Wayne or MSU transfer into Michigan each year? Is this a viable possibility? Is it guaranteed if you finish 1 or 2 in the class?

I was rejected from UM but have a full ride to Wayne and am waiting to hear back from MSU (just applied on saturday). I visited Wayne recently but was really turned off by the facilities and area. I have not checked out MSU but it seems quality of life would be much higher there. Any thoughts?

I got into a lot of schools ranked 40-70 but do not think the investment is worth it without a scholarship. Also, Miami is a possiblitiy for me as they gave me about 70% of tuition.

Would love to hear anyone's thoughts.

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:25 am

mikeddaqb wrote:Does anyone have any idea how many students from Wayne or MSU transfer into Michigan each year? Is this a viable possibility? Is it guaranteed if you finish 1 or 2 in the class?

I was rejected from UM but have a full ride to Wayne and am waiting to hear back from MSU (just applied on saturday). I visited Wayne recently but was really turned off by the facilities and area. I have not checked out MSU but it seems quality of life would be much higher there. Any thoughts?

I got into a lot of schools ranked 40-70 but do not think the investment is worth it without a scholarship. Also, Miami is a possiblitiy for me as they gave me about 70% of tuition.

Would love to hear anyone's thoughts.
QOL in lansing won't be very exciting. There's not much to do, and everything is swarming with undergrad people. Heck the law building is plopped right in the middle of the UG campus.

You also need to realize two things. 1) you are applying late so MSU will probably need to wait to offer you any money, because they have a lot out there and pending right now. 2) MSU is one of the most generous schools as far as money, so you really can't count on finishing that high in your class. I mean think about it, when 25-30 people have full scholarships, and are doing the exact same thing as you (e.g. "I got into Tier 1's but want to save money"), they are all going in thinking they'll be at the top which leads to more competition.

Are you sure you want to stay in Michigan? That's the only reason you should attend Wayne or MSU, btw.

mikeddaqb

New

Post by mikeddaqb » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:01 pm

I actually live in Santa Monica CA and prob do not want to work in MI. I would greatly prefer to go to Law School in MI though because I'm married with two children and my wife's entire family is nearby. The cost of living, day care expenses etc would double the cost of tuition at the LA schools for someone in my position.

If i was not able to transfer I would plan on getting a Masters in Accounting and JD. MSU masters in accounting program is top ten nationally. I would maybe have to go that route after graduation.

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:07 pm

mikeddaqb wrote:I actually live in Santa Monica CA and prob do not want to work in MI. I would greatly prefer to go to Law School in MI though because I'm married with two children and my wife's entire family is nearby. The cost of living, day care expenses etc would double the cost of tuition at the LA schools for someone in my position.

If i was not able to transfer I would plan on getting a Masters in Accounting and JD. MSU masters in accounting program is top ten nationally. I would maybe have to go that route after graduation.
why get the JD then? tax law? I've realized a lot of people can pursue a similar career path to their ultimate one without a JD. Take me for example, wanting to continue in my capacity as a lobbyist. Sure many lobbyists have JDs, but you don't need one. That realization helped me decide not to go to law school. You may not be able to be a tax lawyer but are there other accounting fields you may not need a JD for that you can still do what you'd like? After all a JD is a pretty specific degree... there are a lot of jobs where you can work WITH a lawyer and have him do all the technical law stuff and you can focus on all the technical accounting stuff and essentially be an unofficial tax lawyer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mikeddaqb

New

Post by mikeddaqb » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:18 pm

You are correct, i'm interested in tax law and would like to get a cpa as well. Interesting point, however getting a JD i believe is quite an accomplishment and valuable well beyond its immediate benefits for employment. Especially if I end up working outside the field of law the JD will be a sort of "trump card" over my fellow colleagues.

Not sure if these are the best reasons for going to school and I may be certifiably crazy for giving up a 6-figure + just in Santa Monica to go to MI. I'm 28 now and i have the feeling if i dont go now I prob wont end up going back to further my education.

I also was accepted in to University of Miami with a 70% scholarship and they have a top 10 tax law program. I am still thinking my first option is to transfer to Michigan though so would like to stay close.

BTW how did you get into lobbying? That seems fascinating.

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:35 pm

mikeddaqb wrote:You are correct, i'm interested in tax law and would like to get a cpa as well. Interesting point, however getting a JD i believe is quite an accomplishment and valuable well beyond its immediate benefits for employment. Especially if I end up working outside the field of law the JD will be a sort of "trump card" over my fellow colleagues.

Not sure if these are the best reasons for going to school and I may be certifiably crazy for giving up a 6-figure + just in Santa Monica to go to MI. I'm 28 now and i have the feeling if i dont go now I prob wont end up going back to further my education.

I also was accepted in to University of Miami with a 70% scholarship and they have a top 10 tax law program. I am still thinking my first option is to transfer to Michigan though so would like to stay close.

BTW how did you get into lobbying? That seems fascinating.
Its all who you know. In school I was in student government and got to know my school's lobbyist, who knew the chief of staff of the congressman in who's district the school was. When she moved jobs she asked him if he knew anyone and he gave my name. lol.

Norwood

Bronze

Post by Norwood » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:54 am

Got a nice call from MSU this past Friday 2/26 offering me admission!
(2.9/157 went Complete 1/30)

Go State

New

Post by Go State » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:24 pm

Oh, wow. There's another MSU thread for this year. I skimmed through some of the stuff in here and noticed that there are people considering attending MSU with less then a full tuition scholarship. I won't rehash everything I said in the other thread, but here's the link: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&start=75 .

Looking back, one thing I would note is that Michigan's economy is absolutely horrible and the likelihood of finding a job at a large Michigan firm is pretty bad. During our OCI I remember I signed myself in to interview with a couple of the larger Michigan firms because a lot of their slots were open, and I had asked the hiring partner at one of the firms how many people they had anticipated in hiring and he told me that they planned on taking 2 people. I don't really recall what the other firm said, but it was a really low number as well. Considering around 40 people from UM tend to stick around in Michigan each year, and that there is only around 20-25 larger firms in Michigan that doesn't leave a lot of open spots for MSU/WSU students. (I believe the number was 20 firms that came to MSU's OCI last year -- check out the link above, it's more exact). If you figure all of them only take 2 students, that would be around 40 SA spots. If you are optimistic and assume the average closer to 5 students then that would be around 100 students. After you pull the 40 students that want to stay in Michigan from UM out of that and consider that there are 350 students at MSU alone, and probably somewhere around that # at WSU, it's obviously going to be really competitive. I already withdrew from MSU during their OCI but I recall the GPA requirements to even apply for a screening interview at the larger firms at OCI was close to the top 25% mark (and that only puts you in the pool of applicants that they select 20 from). I'd imagine you would need to be at least in the top 5% to plan on getting anything out of OCI at MSU.

One final note: forget about MSU and come to UM :lol:.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

moviechicka

New

Post by moviechicka » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:39 pm

I just withdrew from MSU. I had a full scholarship. I hope it goes to someone. Good luck!

hopingtogo

New

Post by hopingtogo » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:26 pm

Does anybody know anything about the MSU LEO program? My SO was accepted through the program, and he seems pretty set on going. I'm still holding out the hope that he will get into Syracuse or somewhere else in the Northeast.

Also, what are the job prospects like for people who want to leave Michigan? Does a JD from MSU carry well nationally? He's unsure about whether he wants to stay in Michigan after law school, and I think it's probably going to be harder for him to find a job outside Michigan after he graduates. Based on Go State's post, it sounds like it might be equally as hard for him to find a job in Michigan after graduation!

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:50 am

hopingtogo wrote:Does anybody know anything about the MSU LEO program? My SO was accepted through the program, and he seems pretty set on going. I'm still holding out the hope that he will get into Syracuse or somewhere else in the Northeast.

Also, what are the job prospects like for people who want to leave Michigan? Does a JD from MSU carry well nationally? He's unsure about whether he wants to stay in Michigan after law school, and I think it's probably going to be harder for him to find a job outside Michigan after he graduates. Based on Go State's post, it sounds like it might be equally as hard for him to find a job in Michigan after graduation!
Unless you've already done networking in the area outside of Michigan that you hope to work in, MSU has virtually no national portability unless you happen to stumble upon another MSU grad or he graduates top 5%. Sounds like your husband has a bit of a unique experience due to his LEO background so that's hard to make a claim on. I bet he'd be fine in Michigan, anywhere outside is a gamble.

roecyris

New

Post by roecyris » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:30 am

Hey Yall!

Got accepted 2 weeks ago via phone call and finally got my packet today. No info on scholly but there was one paragraph which seemed to imply there would be SOME sort of offer before April 6th. Did anyone else have this line in their letter or am I special :lol: ?

I'm curious because if there is no money then I'm not going, its too far from home & where I'd like to practice to pay that much money, but if there ends up being a real $$ offer then I'd consider.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:11 pm

roecyris wrote:Hey Yall!

Got accepted 2 weeks ago via phone call and finally got my packet today. No info on scholly but there was one paragraph which seemed to imply there would be SOME sort of offer before April 6th. Did anyone else have this line in their letter or am I special :lol: ?

I'm curious because if there is no money then I'm not going, its too far from home & where I'd like to practice to pay that much money, but if there ends up being a real $$ offer then I'd consider.
If you dont want to practice in Michigan (or as a stretch, the core midwest states of MI/IN/WI/OH) there is no way you should to to MSU even for free...

Norwood

Bronze

Post by Norwood » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:21 pm

roecyris wrote:Hey Yall!

Got the same letter. I may end up withdrawing before the early April deadline they set to notify us for scholarships. Pending their outcome in the March Madness tournament of course...jk

hopingtogo

New

Post by hopingtogo » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:38 am

Rocketman11 wrote:
hopingtogo wrote:Does anybody know anything about the MSU LEO program? My SO was accepted through the program, and he seems pretty set on going. I'm still holding out the hope that he will get into Syracuse or somewhere else in the Northeast.

Unless you've already done networking in the area outside of Michigan that you hope to work in, MSU has virtually no national portability unless you happen to stumble upon another MSU grad or he graduates top 5%. Sounds like your husband has a bit of a unique experience due to his LEO background so that's hard to make a claim on. I bet he'd be fine in Michigan, anywhere outside is a gamble.
Thanks Rocketman for your insight...he has good connections back in Texas where we are from, but right now there's no telling where we will both end up. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens with the rest of his cycle. Also, just to clarify, we are not married, just in a long-term relationship.

If anyone else has any information about the LEO program, that would be great, thanks!

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:19 am

Formally withdrew earlier this week. Hope my money goes to you guys!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kgb49

New

Post by kgb49 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:11 pm

Also, just to clarify, we are not married, just in a long-term relationship.
How is this of any importance to us?

hopingtogo

New

Post by hopingtogo » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:22 pm

kgb49 wrote:
Also, just to clarify, we are not married, just in a long-term relationship.
How is this of any importance to us?
In his response to my post Rocketman referred to my SO as my husband, and I just wanted to clarify, geez. And if it's so unimportant to you why did you waste your time responding? So chill out.

Tuukie11

New

Post by Tuukie11 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:52 pm

In via voicemail today. They said they would review my app for scholarship in April. I expected to be admitted, but I'm still excited :D

hopingtogo

New

Post by hopingtogo » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:59 am

Does Michigan State offer in-state tuition? I was looking at the website and couldn't find any information on it. I'm worried about the possibility of my SO paying sticker here.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”