Michigan State Law Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
DivineDavina0518
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:49 pm

Re: Michigan State Law Class of 2013

Postby DivineDavina0518 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:17 am

Yah, that story is crazy, stupid, and really hilarious 2 me, lol, anyways, after buggin the leasing office ALOT they said I should be getting a room in the grad/law student building which is somewhat separated from the rest of the apt complex, so hopefully that makes a huge huge difference...also mk03 when u visit, can u let us know your impression, pretty please, ive looked at the video they put on their site and a few pics off the fb admitted students page but haven't really got to see any pics that give me an idea of what it looks like in there, and i don't get 2 visit until the day b4 orientation...also, if you remember, can u see if theres a microwave and some kind of water dispenser in the building (like ozarka, or somethin) thanks muchos

User avatar
artichoke
Posts: 760
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Michigan State Law Class of 2013

Postby artichoke » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:22 am

DivineDavina0518 wrote:Yah, that story is crazy, stupid, and really hilarious 2 me, lol, anyways, after buggin the leasing office ALOT they said I should be getting a room in the grad/law student building which is somewhat separated from the rest of the apt complex, so hopefully that makes a huge huge difference...also mk03 when u visit, can u let us know your impression, pretty please, ive looked at the video they put on their site and a few pics off the fb admitted students page but haven't really got to see any pics that give me an idea of what it looks like in there, and i don't get 2 visit until the day b4 orientation...also, if you remember, can u see if theres a microwave and some kind of water dispenser in the building (like ozarka, or somethin) thanks muchos


I lived in East Lansing for four years and Berrytree apartments were by far the best place I lived. I hate DTN Management, but the apartments are huge and clean and there are a lot of Med students there so fairly quiet. The pool area can get a little loud at night sometimes, but mostly on the weekends. DO NOT LIVE AT CHANDLERS OR CROSSING PLACE - I cannot stress this enough. They are the epitome of student ghettos. Anyway, message me if you would like more information regarding anything to do with EL. Good luck!

User avatar
servinDizzert
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Michigan State Law Class of 2013

Postby servinDizzert » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:28 am

I attended MSU undergrad and actually took a class in the law building. You can also PM me if you have any questions/concerns.

^^DTN always gets so much criticism but they were actually pretty nice to us. (10 guys in a house). Also Chandler's is a nice place but like stated above is a ghetto. Summer time it is loud but not so much during the school year.

User avatar
artichoke
Posts: 760
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Michigan State Law Class of 2013

Postby artichoke » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:31 am

servinDizzert wrote:I attended MSU undergrad and actually took a class in the law building. You can also PM me if you have any questions/concerns.

^^DTN always gets so much criticism but they were actually pretty nice to us. (10 guys in a house). Also Chandler's is a nice place but like stated above is a ghetto. Summer time it is loud but not so much during the school year.


I could have guessed you went to MSU undergrad solely on the basis of that tasteless avatar.

User avatar
servinDizzert
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Michigan State Law Class of 2013

Postby servinDizzert » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:35 am

robin600 wrote:^^^ Grand river will always have something to do 7 days out of the week. It gets old a bit quicker than Austin, but the people you meet make it fresh and exciting.

PS- Crazy story. There was some craziness at Chandler the other day. Apparently someone got alcohol poisoning in the pool and well passed out in it. So they called an ambulance and all the drunk underagers ran away thinking it was the cops. Well a couple of them stepped on broken glass and got it in the pool, so now they are draining it. Fun times.



I WAS THERE!!!! Yeah it was pretty scary. I'm over the Chandler pool in the summer. The water was a light shade of brown...

User avatar
DivineDavina0518
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:49 pm

Re: Michigan State Law Class of 2013

Postby DivineDavina0518 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:36 am

lol...awww, thas mean. um yah ive got a lotta questions, many ive asked before but will continue to ask in dif venues like this one...how is the winter? im from texas, and i can't stand anything under 75, literally...ive gotten sweaters, some boots, im trying 2 look for a winter coat, but ive tried, and I ended up looking at coats for an hour, confused, horrified and not knowing what to do...ive heard northface gloves and hats that cover the ears are good or anything waterproof...Im gonn abe gettin thermals soon, and some kinda thick socks....any suggestions are sooo very welcome

User avatar
DivineDavina0518
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:49 pm

Re: Michigan State Law Class of 2013

Postby DivineDavina0518 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:37 am

The water was a light shade of brown...
...that's disgusting

User avatar
artichoke
Posts: 760
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Michigan State Law Class of 2013

Postby artichoke » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:38 am

DivineDavina0518 wrote:lol...awww, thas mean. um yah ive got a lotta questions, many ive asked before but will continue to ask in dif venues like this one...how is the winter? im from texas, and i can't stand anything under 75, literally...ive gotten sweaters, some boots, im trying 2 look for a winter coat, but ive tried, and I ended up looking at coats for an hour, confused, horrified and not knowing what to do...ive heard northface gloves and hats that cover the ears are good or anything waterproof...Im gonn abe gettin thermals soon, and some kinda thick socks....any suggestions are sooo very welcome


Honestly? The winter SUCKS. It's not as harsh as the more northern Michigan locales, but it's cold and slushy and snow never accumulates enough to do outdoor sports so it's all for nothing. Not only that but the area is completely flat so even if there WERE enough snow for outdoor sports you still couldn't ski/snowshoe/snowboard/whatever.

My advice is - get a down jacket and prepare to suffer.

User avatar
artichoke
Posts: 760
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Michigan State Law Class of 2013

Postby artichoke » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:40 am

servinDizzert wrote:
robin600 wrote:^^^ Grand river will always have something to do 7 days out of the week. It gets old a bit quicker than Austin, but the people you meet make it fresh and exciting.

PS- Crazy story. There was some craziness at Chandler the other day. Apparently someone got alcohol poisoning in the pool and well passed out in it. So they called an ambulance and all the drunk underagers ran away thinking it was the cops. Well a couple of them stepped on broken glass and got it in the pool, so now they are draining it. Fun times.



I WAS THERE!!!! Yeah it was pretty scary. I'm over the Chandler pool in the summer. The water was a light shade of brown...



That is truly disgusting. I would gladly pay twice my rent at Chandler's to take back my time spent living there.

User avatar
servinDizzert
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Michigan State Law Class of 2013

Postby servinDizzert » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:44 am

DivineDavina0518 wrote:lol...awww, thas mean. um yah ive got a lotta questions, many ive asked before but will continue to ask in dif venues like this one...how is the winter? im from texas, and i can't stand anything under 75, literally...ive gotten sweaters, some boots, im trying 2 look for a winter coat, but ive tried, and I ended up looking at coats for an hour, confused, horrified and not knowing what to do...ive heard northface gloves and hats that cover the ears are good or anything waterproof...Im gonn abe gettin thermals soon, and some kinda thick socks....any suggestions are sooo very welcome



The winter is AWFUL. I still remember biking to class in the snow with sub-zero temperatures. If you end up taking the bus you wont really need gloves but if you do decide to get them Northface is good suggestion. Definitely get a hat. I lived by my Timberlands in the winter but I'm a guy so I am not sure if you want to go the uggz route.

Winter will feel like hell especially for you....but lets be honest, you'll be in the library most of the time where its warm.

User avatar
DivineDavina0518
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:49 pm

Re: Michigan State Law Class of 2013

Postby DivineDavina0518 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:46 am

thank you very much artichoke88...welps if chandler's is that bad, im out after my first year...oh does anybody know is there is a place on campus that's open 24 hrs where students can study? cause apparently the library closes at like 11

User avatar
artichoke
Posts: 760
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Michigan State Law Class of 2013

Postby artichoke » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:48 am

DivineDavina0518 wrote:thank you very much artichoke88...welps if chandler's is that bad, im out after my first year...oh does anybody know is there is a place on campus that's open 24 hrs where students can study? cause apparently the library closes at like 11


During the school year the library is open 24 hours. Other than that, I used to go to dorms before they lock the doors at midnight and stay sometimes all night. Or coffee shops.

User avatar
servinDizzert
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Michigan State Law Class of 2013

Postby servinDizzert » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:51 am

artichoke88 wrote:
servinDizzert wrote:I attended MSU undergrad and actually took a class in the law building. You can also PM me if you have any questions/concerns.

^^DTN always gets so much criticism but they were actually pretty nice to us. (10 guys in a house). Also Chandler's is a nice place but like stated above is a ghetto. Summer time it is loud but not so much during the school year.


I could have guessed you went to MSU undergrad solely on the basis of that tasteless avatar.



Tasteless to you, tasteful to me...I would much rather look at your tar :roll:

User avatar
DivineDavina0518
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:49 pm

Re: Michigan State Law Class of 2013

Postby DivineDavina0518 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:51 am

Really! the law library or some other msu library? omg, that would be alsmot heaven if the law library/bldg were open 24 hours

and eww 2 uggs lol, i hate texas cowboy boots but id prefer em 2 uggs...ummm a cuzzo of mine said she wore timberlands when she went east for school..i have some heavy boots, but thinkin of gettin one more pair, just in case, ima look into the timeberlands though, and agh to the winters...ima just have 2 bundle up, no more shorts, tank tops, n flip flops 2 class...even in the winter...

User avatar
servinDizzert
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Michigan State Law Class of 2013

Postby servinDizzert » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:54 am

DivineDavina0518 wrote:Really! the law library or some other msu library? omg, that would be alsmot heaven if the law library/bldg were open 24 hours

and eww 2 uggs lol, i hate texas cowboy boots but id prefer em 2 uggs...ummm a cuzzo of mine said she wore timberlands when she went east for school..i have some heavy boots, but thinkin of gettin one more pair, just in case, ima look into the timeberlands though, and agh to the winters...ima just have 2 bundle up, no more shorts, tank tops, n flip flops 2 class...even in the winter...


haha didnt think uggz wouldve been a viable option. Shorts, tank tops and flip flops will come out right when the weather reaches about 50 degrees. To us Michigan residents, that is WARM.

User avatar
artichoke
Posts: 760
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Michigan State Law Class of 2013

Postby artichoke » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:55 am

DivineDavina0518 wrote:Really! the law library or some other msu library? omg, that would be alsmot heaven if the law library/bldg were open 24 hours

and eww 2 uggs lol, i hate texas cowboy boots but id prefer em 2 uggs...ummm a cuzzo of mine said she wore timberlands when she went east for school..i have some heavy boots, but thinkin of gettin one more pair, just in case, ima look into the timeberlands though, and agh to the winters...ima just have 2 bundle up, no more shorts, tank tops, n flip flops 2 class...even in the winter...


You can actually get some pretty legitimate UGGs, not the kind that EVERYONE wears but regular, attractive, waterproof, warm boots. Check out their website. The only downside is the price.

User avatar
artichoke
Posts: 760
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Michigan State Law Class of 2013

Postby artichoke » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:56 am

servinDizzert wrote:
artichoke88 wrote:
servinDizzert wrote:I attended MSU undergrad and actually took a class in the law building. You can also PM me if you have any questions/concerns.

^^DTN always gets so much criticism but they were actually pretty nice to us. (10 guys in a house). Also Chandler's is a nice place but like stated above is a ghetto. Summer time it is loud but not so much during the school year.


I could have guessed you went to MSU undergrad solely on the basis of that tasteless avatar.



Tasteless to you, tasteful to me...I would much rather look at your tar :roll:


Haha, for some reason I find that hard to believe.

User avatar
artichoke
Posts: 760
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Michigan State Law Class of 2013

Postby artichoke » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:56 am

servinDizzert wrote:
DivineDavina0518 wrote:Really! the law library or some other msu library? omg, that would be alsmot heaven if the law library/bldg were open 24 hours

and eww 2 uggs lol, i hate texas cowboy boots but id prefer em 2 uggs...ummm a cuzzo of mine said she wore timberlands when she went east for school..i have some heavy boots, but thinkin of gettin one more pair, just in case, ima look into the timeberlands though, and agh to the winters...ima just have 2 bundle up, no more shorts, tank tops, n flip flops 2 class...even in the winter...


haha didnt think uggz wouldve been a viable option. Shorts, tank tops and flip flops will come out right when the weather reaches about 50 degrees. To us Michigan residents, that is WARM.


By the way, I'm not sure about the law lib, sorry. The regular library is open 24 hours though...

User avatar
DivineDavina0518
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:49 pm

Re: Michigan State Law Class of 2013

Postby DivineDavina0518 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:58 am

haha didnt think uggz wouldve been a viable option. Shorts, tank tops and flip flops will come out right when the weather reaches about 50 degrees. To us Michigan residents, that is WARM


lol, maybe after my first real winter it'll feel warm 2 me...hopefully, and yah ima check em out now, and it's cool about the reg library, im sure a change of place around 11 will def help in studying

User avatar
artichoke
Posts: 760
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Michigan State Law Class of 2013

Postby artichoke » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:11 am

DivineDavina0518 wrote:
haha didnt think uggz wouldve been a viable option. Shorts, tank tops and flip flops will come out right when the weather reaches about 50 degrees. To us Michigan residents, that is WARM


lol, maybe after my first real winter it'll feel warm 2 me...hopefully, and yah ima check em out now, and it's cool about the reg library, im sure a change of place around 11 will def help in studying


Ok I just checked out their website, they don't currently have nearly as many as they will towards the end of summer. Maybe check then.

User avatar
DivineDavina0518
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:49 pm

Re: Michigan State Law Class of 2013

Postby DivineDavina0518 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:12 am

cool beans yo, thanks...so is there anything in particular you're lookin forward to at msu law?

User avatar
DivineDavina0518
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:49 pm

Re: Michigan State Law Class of 2013

Postby DivineDavina0518 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:15 am

also, do i need waterproof boots? i think i got some leather ones, and im not sure how they'd do in the snow....

User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Michigan State Law Class of 2013

Postby robin600 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:38 pm

DivineDavina0518 wrote:also, do i need waterproof boots? i think i got some leather ones, and im not sure how they'd do in the snow....

Yes. Leather ones won't cut it.

mk03
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:32 am

Re: Michigan State Law Class of 2013

Postby mk03 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:44 pm

So for whoever is interested, I visited East Lansing this past weekend for the first time to check out the law school and go apartment hunting.

The law school:

I was impressed by the building. From what I understand the school is relatively new and the facility reflects this. I spoke with a few students who provided me with a tour of the law school and they were very honest about the academic life at MSU law. According to the tour guides students are not ultra competitive in the malicious sense. In fact, they projected an academic environment where classmates help each other succeed - let's just hope this is true! Of course, it must be noted that academic performance is evaluated on a curve. This means that it is predetermined exactly how many of what grades will be distributed per class (for example every class will have something like exactly 20 A's 40 B's and 20 C's). So essentially everyone is graded against everyone else in their class.

The Campus:

Attending MSU is going to be an incredible experience on its own. The campus is enormous. Mind you, my undergraduate institution was a 30,000 student Canadian university. From my understanding MSU's student population is closer to 45,000. As a sports fan I am very excited to attend Football, basketball and hockey games. I've already purchased some Spartan clothing... You'll notice when you get there that every other store is full of Spartan gear and nothing else.

Apartments:

Keep in mind that my search was restricted to 1 Bedroom 1 Bathroom apartments. My goal was to find one between $500-$800 a month that is nice (a place that I could keep clean, study in, relax, have friends to, etc.), isn't too far from campus (I won't have a car next year), and isn't filled with loud undergrads who are away from their parents for the first time (the plan is to be able to enjoy a healthy balance between my academic and social life). The place I finally decided on is a furnished 1 bedroom in a 3 story apartment building a few minutes east of campus. The property manager has assured me that they market to law and medical students (not sure exactly if I believe him completely but whatever, I'll find out soon I guess!).

Anyway I realize this blurb was incredibly general but if anyone has a specific question about MSU Law/East Lansing/Housing maybe I could help out.

Oaklandguy
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:41 pm

Re: Michigan State Law Class of 2013

Postby Oaklandguy » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:21 am

I will also be attending MSU this fall, and will be living just north of grand river, across from the cedar village area starting the first week of August.

If anyone still has questions, I know a few recent grads and current students as well as having visited State many times, and may be able to help out.




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests