Michigan State Law Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Tuukie11

New

Re: Michigan State Law Class of 2013

Post by Tuukie11 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:10 am

hopingtogo wrote:Does Michigan State offer in-state tuition? I was looking at the website and couldn't find any information on it. I'm worried about the possibility of my SO paying sticker here.
same for all students.

Costs for the 2009/10 Academic Year
Full-time Enrollment for the Academic Year (29 credit hours)
Tuition $32,828
Fees $26
RWA Lab Fees $200
Books $1,368
Room and Board $10,886
Transportation $1,374
Personal/Misc $1,736
Medical $1,108
TOTAL $49,526

jne381

Platinum

Post by jne381 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:04 pm

hopingtogo wrote:Does Michigan State offer in-state tuition? I was looking at the website and couldn't find any information on it. I'm worried about the possibility of my SO paying sticker here.
No. MSU College of Law is technically still a private school. They don't receive funds from the State of Michigan. I am confident that this will change sometime down the road, but it is best for the school not to do so right now because the State is currently going through a financial shit storm. The benefit for the school is that they don't have to rely on State funds, but the downside is they can't do things like lower tuition for in-state applicants, and that makes it difficult to attract more qualified in-state law students.

raskolnikov32

New

Post by raskolnikov32 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:26 pm

Last edited by raskolnikov32 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Go State

New

Post by Go State » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:37 pm

jne381 wrote:
No. MSU College of Law is technically still a private school. They don't receive funds from the State of Michigan. I am confident that this will change sometime down the road, but it is best for the school not to do so right now because the State is currently going through a financial shit storm. The benefit for the school is that they don't have to rely on State funds, but the downside is they can't do things like lower tuition for in-state applicants, and that makes it difficult to attract more qualified in-state law students.
I heard (through the grapevine last year) that MSU tried to get public funding the other year and were denied by the state because there are already 2 (sic- 3?) public law schools in the state. As a result, I doubt it will become a public law school for quite some time.

mikeddaqb

New

Post by mikeddaqb » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:10 am

Hi Got this letter in the mail. None of my other scholarships did they ask for anything like this. Are they just going through the motions or do i actually have to impress them with this reply? Did anyone else get this email. It just came in today.

Dear XXXXXXXX,

Your application for admission to Michigan State College of Law has been preliminarily reviewed by our Admissions and Scholarship Committee. I’m pleased to let you know that the Committee is impressed by your record and that you likely qualify for a scholarship in value up to full tuition per year.

As a result of the 25 percent increase in our application volume for this year’s incoming class, we would like to have from you a statement that outlines your interest in Michigan State for your legal education. Specifically, the Committee is interested in knowing how your enrollment at MSU College of Law might help you achieve the professional goals you have for yourself.

You are welcome to email this statement (up to two pages) to me any time before March 29th. Once received, your file will be re-reviewed by the Admissions and Scholarship Committee and their decision will be communicated to you. Thank you.

Linda Hall
Admissions Officer Manager

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:59 am

mikeddaqb wrote:Hi Got this letter in the mail. None of my other scholarships did they ask for anything like this. Are they just going through the motions or do i actually have to impress them with this reply? Did anyone else get this email. It just came in today.

Dear XXXXXXXX,

Your application for admission to Michigan State College of Law has been preliminarily reviewed by our Admissions and Scholarship Committee. I’m pleased to let you know that the Committee is impressed by your record and that you likely qualify for a scholarship in value up to full tuition per year.

As a result of the 25 percent increase in our application volume for this year’s incoming class, we would like to have from you a statement that outlines your interest in Michigan State for your legal education. Specifically, the Committee is interested in knowing how your enrollment at MSU College of Law might help you achieve the professional goals you have for yourself.

You are welcome to email this statement (up to two pages) to me any time before March 29th. Once received, your file will be re-reviewed by the Admissions and Scholarship Committee and their decision will be communicated to you. Thank you.

Linda Hall
Admissions Officer Manager
I would give a sincere reply if you want to go there.

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:59 am

Go State wrote:
jne381 wrote:
I heard (through the grapevine last year) that MSU tried to get public funding the other year and were denied by the state because there are already 2 (sic- 3?) public law schools in the state. As a result, I doubt it will become a public law school for quite some time.
Wayne, Michigan and ?? (U of D, Cooley, MSU aren't)

raskolnikov32

New

Post by raskolnikov32 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:59 pm

Last edited by raskolnikov32 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawlawlawlaw

New

Post by lawlawlawlaw » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:19 am

just put my deposit down, hope to see some of you there

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jeeptiger09

Bronze

Post by jeeptiger09 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:43 am

raskolnikov32 wrote:Anyone going to the Admitted Students Day this weekend?

If so, or if you have gone to a previous one, how does the travel stipend reimbursement work? I wonder if I could get paid back on the spot..
Went last week.

The answer to your question is no.

3-4 weeks.

Was impressed with facility/people, etc. The only questionable thing (and it's kind of major) is their career services (presentation was less than impressive) and most 2Ls and 3Ls speaking didn't have jobs...

sarlis

Silver

Post by sarlis » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:52 am

jeeptiger09 wrote:
raskolnikov32 wrote:Anyone going to the Admitted Students Day this weekend?

If so, or if you have gone to a previous one, how does the travel stipend reimbursement work? I wonder if I could get paid back on the spot..
Went last week.

The answer to your question is no.

3-4 weeks.

Was impressed with facility/people, etc. The only questionable thing (and it's kind of major) is their career services (presentation was less than impressive) and most 2Ls and 3Ls speaking didn't have jobs...
I was there this past weekend too. the students and faculty were great.

I have the same concerns about the 3Ls not having jobs. And what really concerned me was the 3Ls who wanted to practice out of state said that they had to do most of the out of state work, and that the career services office didn't help much.

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:11 pm

It's been funny, as the admissions office had called me three times this cycle just to "check in" before I withdrew my acceptance. Everytime i asked the staffer why they are working in admissions (all graduated from MSU, I had 2 girls and 1 guy, so maybe the girls were the same girl. but anyway...). All of them said the same thing "ah i just wanted to take a year and stick around campus so I dont feel rushed looking for a job, plus I really love the admissions staff."

lol?

Translation: "I couldnt find a job anywhere else"

flchick1

New

Post by flchick1 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:19 pm

Withdrew with a full scholarship the other day. I hope one of you receives the $!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

flchick1

New

Post by flchick1 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:19 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:It's been funny, as the admissions office had called me three times this cycle just to "check in" before I withdrew my acceptance. Everytime i asked the staffer why they are working in admissions (all graduated from MSU, I had 2 girls and 1 guy, so maybe the girls were the same girl. but anyway...). All of them said the same thing "ah i just wanted to take a year and stick around campus so I dont feel rushed looking for a job, plus I really love the admissions staff."

lol?

Translation: "I couldnt find a job anywhere else"
Scary!!!

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:19 pm

flchick1 wrote:Withdrew with a full scholarship the other day. I hope one of you receives the $!
where are you headed

flchick1

New

Post by flchick1 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:34 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:
flchick1 wrote:Withdrew with a full scholarship the other day. I hope one of you receives the $!
where are you headed
Either Ohio State at sticker or U.Miami with $69,000. I have no idea which to pick. Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

sarlis

Silver

Post by sarlis » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:40 pm

flchick1 wrote:
Rocketman11 wrote:
where are you headed
Either Ohio State at sticker or U.Miami with $69,000. I have no idea which to pick. Any suggestions would be appreciated
I am considering, besides MSU, sticker at OSU and $69K and UMiami too. Are you going to be at the UMiami ASD on friday?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

flchick1

New

Post by flchick1 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:05 pm

sarlis wrote:
flchick1 wrote:
Rocketman11 wrote:
where are you headed
Either Ohio State at sticker or U.Miami with $69,000. I have no idea which to pick. Any suggestions would be appreciated
I am considering, besides MSU, sticker at OSU and $69K and UMiami too. Are you going to be at the UMiami ASD on friday?
Really?? They're such different schools --- and both have a lot of pros and cons --- it's hard to decide! I won't be at the ASW, I wish I had planned better so I could be. You have to tell me how it is and what your impressions are!

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:26 pm

flchick1 wrote:
Rocketman11 wrote:
where are you headed
Either Ohio State at sticker or U.Miami with $69,000. I have no idea which to pick. Any suggestions would be appreciated :)
Neither are in DC so I'm indifferent, sowwies.

mikeddaqb

New

Post by mikeddaqb » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:12 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:
flchick1 wrote:
Rocketman11 wrote:
where are you headed
Neither are in DC so I'm indifferent, sowwies.
FLchick...im in the exact same position. I'm awaiting final confirmation on MSU but pretty sure ill get a full scholarship vs Miami with 69k. I want to do tax law at Miami which is top 6 program vs getting a masters in accounting at MSU which is a top 10 accounting program. Will take advise.

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:13 am

mikeddaqb wrote:
FLchick...im in the exact same position. I'm awaiting final confirmation on MSU but pretty sure ill get a full scholarship vs Miami with 69k. I want to do tax law at Miami which is top 6 program vs getting a masters in accounting at MSU which is a top 10 accounting program. Will take advise.
In and of themselves, specialty law program rankings don't matter a whole hell of a lot. Now, if you can draw a line form Miami to a tax firm you want to work at with strong ties there, that's a different story.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jne381

Platinum

Post by jne381 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:16 pm

Go State wrote:
jne381 wrote: No. MSU College of Law is technically still a private school. They don't receive funds from the State of Michigan. I am confident that this will change sometime down the road, but it is best for the school not to do so right now because the State is currently going through a financial shit storm. The benefit for the school is that they don't have to rely on State funds, but the downside is they can't do things like lower tuition for in-state applicants, and that makes it difficult to attract more qualified in-state law students.
I have no evidence to refute your second/third-hand claim, but it seems that the reasoning is highly suspect. MSU is huge in Michigan, and its alumni base can't really be beat in the state, even compared to U of M (thanks mainly to having more in-state students and a much larger student base). But who knows, you could be correct.

In any case, I don't know if they should even pursue public funds. If I were them I would just have the university tap the alumni to build a huge endowment for the law school. I have mentioned to numerous old alumni that I go to MSU, and they are actually surprised they have not been asked to give to the school, and they say they would gladly give to it. MSU pride is quite amazing inside Michigan. I only wish the law school would use it to its advantage.

mk03

New

Post by mk03 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:36 am

I received my acceptance email this morning. It said that my acceptance package is being placed in the mail today. The email did not say anything about scholarship offers... does this mean I won't get one or does that discussion come later?

i have a 2.89 cGPA and a 164 LSAT and i'm canadian. any thoughts?

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:43 am

mk03 wrote:I received my acceptance email this morning. It said that my acceptance package is being placed in the mail today. The email did not say anything about scholarship offers... does this mean I won't get one or does that discussion come later?

i have a 2.89 cGPA and a 164 LSAT and i'm canadian. any thoughts?
i know they CALL with full rides... not sure about lesser scholarhsips

MPMP

New

Post by MPMP » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:59 pm

tag

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”