Michigan State Law Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
DivineDavina0518

New

Re: Michigan State Law Class of 2013

Post by DivineDavina0518 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:15 pm

Can anybody tell me about the crime in East Lansing?

servinDizzert

New

Post by servinDizzert » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:26 pm

DivineDavina0518 wrote:Can anybody tell me about the crime in East Lansing?

Pretty much a bunch of MIPs. Lansing trash will occasionally wander over into the EL bars.

heres a breakdown of the past...http://www.cityofeastlansing.com/Home/D ... tatistics/

nattyw612

New

Post by nattyw612 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:51 am

Good morning everyone,

I'm a rising 2L at MSU - if you have any additional questions feel free to PM me or post them here.

Looking forward to seeing you in the fall!

DWD2000

New

Post by DWD2000 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:11 pm

I have a question about probably the last thing an incoming 1L should worry about. Do law students get preferential ticket access to football games through the law school or another source? Or must these tickets be purchased at large? Thanks.

nattyw612

New

Post by nattyw612 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:15 pm

DWD2000 wrote:I have a question about probably the last thing an incoming 1L should worry about. Do law students get preferential ticket access to football games through the law school or another source? Or must these tickets be purchased at large? Thanks.
You'll receive emails to your MSU account about purchasing football ticket packages. There are weekly tailgates and there's a "law school tent" set-up. Also, you can get involved in the Spartan Law Student Society, as they do most of the planning.

As a side-note, I did not get tickets this past year because, although I love college football, my heart is with OSU and I did not want to shell out $ for MSU tickets. I did end up at a tailgate or two, then just headed to the bars.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:44 am

independentgeorge wrote:For anyone familiar with East Lansing, can you please recommend some places to live that are close to campus and relatively cheap?

Thanks for any suggestions.
I know this is old now, and probably useless, but Berry Tree was fantastic. Lived there in undergrad. Quite, large, clean. Ahhhh, memories of undergrad.

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:14 am

Just heard on the radio, MSU undergrad got ranked 5th hottest student body in the nation. Don't know by who, but some group well known enough to make it to the radio DJ at least.

MSU girls are fiiiiine in my experience :)

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:42 pm

Greetings MSU law students! I'm sorry to revive an old thread but am seeking insight from those of you who are just finishing up your first 1L semester. So, what did ya think? I was just admitted and wanted to hear your thoughts.

Specifically:
The law school environment in terms of competitiveness, availability of professors, etc.
What living in East Lansing is like, including cool places to checkout when I visit in the future.
Any other thoughts you would want to share with someone considering MSU.

Sparty232

New

Post by Sparty232 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:37 am

Hey Angiej and anyone else interested in MSU,

I am a 1L at MSU. Congratulations on your admission! Truthfully, it was awesome! The courses were challenging, but work is manageable if you are good with time management. The professors were on point and extremely accessible. One of my friends actually called her prof a few nights before the final to talk out an issue, and he was more then willing to help. The facilities were as good as you would expect in a Big Ten environment. More specifically, while stressing out over school, there are very few law schools out there that can offer the environment of MSU. There is a ton of pluses: weekly D-1 sporting events (I only missed 1 home football game), plenty of nightclubs/bars/cafes, pleasant locals, and abundant living options. I would probably not live on campus, Owen is vey small, but you may like it. I would suggest off-campus housing in an apartment. They are littered all around campus, and many have systems where they will find you roommates in grad/law school. I would definitely do some research on it when you visit.

Most importantly the student body of my class is very competitive and gifted. True it is not a T-14 school, but with a median 157 GPA you are not among idiots either. Each of the past 2 years the application numbers have doubled, and all of the numbers have been on the up. The only reason it may not crack the top 100 this year is the lower bar passage rate that may be explained by more MSU grads seeking work out of Michigan (big ++). Not unusual to find people visibly putting in the hours (you will find this anywhere). I was actually surprised by the level of commrodary at MSU, which is pretty widespread (probably because there is a ton of ways to interact outside of class).

Classes are much less tense now then in August that is for sure, and with the caliber of students you will come to class with you will feel it too! I have gotten a few grades back so far and I am pretty happy with how I have done, in case you guys thought I was having too much fun in East Lansing. The big negative at MSU is the fact that it is not in the top 100 and placement is not very strong outside of Michigan. However, its a good bet that MSU will crack the top 100 inside of the next few years, and with the resources behind it, will likely be right beside PSU in the near future.

Finally. (1) Take everything you read on here with a grain of salt. Fact is most people in law school give scathing reviews about the experience for a few big reasons: Too much coffee, too much 5hr energy, not enough sleep, a lot of work, and most of all 99.9% of the people have never been average students and law school makes 70% of them into average students, compared to their classmates (very frustrating). Also, every law student's MO is to make people believe that they had "it" the worst so don't buy the horror stories. (2) Do not assume because the school you choose is not a "top 100" school everybody is a mediocre student and you will easily ride to the top of the class (not true at MSU). (3) Most important things 1. Find a good place to live. 2. Manage your time. 3. Know why you are in law school 4. Manage your time.

Good Luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:27 pm

Sparty232 -

Thank you SO much for taking time to address my questions and provide such detail on your experiences. I am really excited about MSU (even more so after reading your post).

MSUPHL

Bronze

Post by MSUPHL » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:27 pm

msu undergrad was great except for 1)weather (cold as shit walking to class and so windy, thats why im at ASU now), 2)cops (i spent 3 seperate nights in jail merely for drinking/walking underage) 3) parking nazis (Spent about 2k in parking tickets over my 3 years in which i had a car on campus).

Here is a little known secret if anyone is in Lansing/EL area for breakfast and has 2 hours to kill for breakfast-go to Golden Harvest! Its the best breakfast restaurant in the world i promise u, just takes a loooong time. Not sure of address, just google it.

spartanlaw

New

Post by spartanlaw » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:01 pm

Last edited by spartanlaw on Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:16 pm

spartan law: pmed you

thanks for the good info on this thread!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:21 pm

northwood wrote:spartan law: pmed you

thanks for the good info on this thread!
Darn, I missed it. I would've liked to have seen what was said before spartan law edited his/her post.

JusticeIsBlind

New

Post by JusticeIsBlind » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:23 am

Resurrecting this thread for Class of 2013! How many of you have stayed at State for your 2L year?

Also any Section 3-ers from 1L in here?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”