How long will it take to make real money again.... Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
reasonabledoubt

Silver

How long will it take to make real money again....

Post by reasonabledoubt » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:23 am

Tonight I think: Woe to me.

The full realization of how long it'll take to make real money again hath set in during this application process. Post apocalyptic financial crisis I was making around 130k/year in sales. Now I make 0. I'll be starting LS in the fall, accumilating debt, and will most likely, if lucky, garner a (correct me if I'm wrong) 75k salary upon graduation.

It might be 7 years or so until I enjoy a similar lifestyle and level of income as I previously had. This is assuming a relative economic recovery of sorts in the interim which is, of course, not a definite possibility.

Who else has experienced a similar plight???

Lonagan

Bronze

Re: How long will it take to make real money again....

Post by Lonagan » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:26 am

Given that I am currently making 50/yr and have never made more, I'm feeling pretty good about my earning potential, especially given that the law is what I really want.

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:29 am

reasonabledoubt

Silver

Post by reasonabledoubt » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:31 am

DCD wrote:Image
All "Glens" are probably too pricey for me right now.

Mroberts3

Bronze

Post by Mroberts3 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:31 am

Drink straight from the barrel, that glass middleman is for suckers.

Of course I've only been out of UG for a year so the idea of making even 50k sounds like riches beyond my wildest dreams.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

reasonabledoubt

Silver

Post by reasonabledoubt » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:42 am

Mroberts3 wrote:Drink straight from the barrel, that glass middleman is for suckers.

Of course I've only been out of UG for a year so the idea of making even 50k sounds like riches beyond my wildest dreams.
I don't know about that brotha - 50k after taxes equates to roughly 750/week.... if you live in a city, want a car, nice place, etc, well.... you might need several roommates. Also, if you have a student loan vig to cover.... "fugetaboutit." You need six figures to live in a big city.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:14 am

reasonabledoubt wrote:
Mroberts3 wrote:Drink straight from the barrel, that glass middleman is for suckers.

I don't know about that brotha - 50k after taxes equates to roughly 750/week.... if you live in a city, want a car, nice place, etc, well.... you might need several roommates. Also, if you have a student loan vig to cover.... "fugetaboutit." You need six figures to live in a big city.
at least here in the south (excluding DC), 50k/yr for a single person is probably more than enough for most people living in cities like charlotte, nashville, atlanta, miami, houston, dallas. most people probably already own cars prior to law school and 700-800 rent is enough for a decent apartment in a nice/safe neighborhood. i actually think a budget of $2000/month alone is enough to cover neccesities like food, rent, utilities, gas, car insurance, and life insurance. and also 50k/yr after taxes in DC (has one of the highest taxes in the country) equals 1k/week.

in short, i think 50k/yr is not a bad salary to start a legal career at. of course i wouldn't be taking a pay cut like OP would be (that really sucks).
Last edited by najumobi on Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

reasonabledoubt

Silver

Post by reasonabledoubt » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:16 am

najumobi wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:

at least here in the south (excluding DC), 50k/yr for a single person is probably more than enough for most people living in cities like charlotte, nashville, atlanta, miami, houston, dallas. most people probably already own cars prior to law school and 700-800 rent is enough for a decent apartment in a nice/safe neighborhood. i actually think a budget of $2000/month alone is enough to cover neccesities like food, rent, utilities, transportation, car insurance, and life insurance. and also 50k/yr after taxes in DC (has one of the highest taxes in the country) equals 1k/week.

in short, i think 50k/yr is not a bad salary to start a legal career at.

Huh? 50k/year = 1k/week, post taxes? I'll give you a moment with this one. ;)

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:19 am

najumobi wrote:i actually think a budget of $2000/month alone is enough to cover neccesities like food, rent, utilities, gas, car insurance, and life insurance. and also 50k/yr after taxes in DC (has one of the highest taxes in the country) equals 1k/week.

in short, i think 50k/yr is not a bad salary to start a legal career at.
:shock:

When people talk about salaries it's usually pre-tax. I made $50k/yr before coming to law school, but a chunk of that came out every year for The Man. If you have loans (which you will if you're going to law school) you'll have to factor in loan payments as well. And then there's having to put a certain amount into your 401(k) so you get the match and have something to retire on 30 years from now...

You're overestimating the value of "50k/yr" right now.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:19 am

reasonabledoubt wrote:

Huh? 50k/year = 1k/week, post taxes? I'll give you a moment with this one. ;)
hahah.... now i'm second guessing myself. :)
according to paycheckcity.com
50k/yr in DC, comes to $35,516.25.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:22 am

wow...i'm calculating this all wrong....50k/yr in DC paid weekly is ~700/week
Last edited by najumobi on Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

knickfan

Bronze

Post by knickfan » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:24 am

-
Last edited by knickfan on Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:29 am

vanwinkle wrote: You're overestimating the value of "50k/yr" right now.
ughh....you're right. i could live off of 2k/month. but if i had to put money into 401/k and make loan payments it would barely be enough....i wouldn't be able to save any of it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

flowylime

New

Post by flowylime » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:12 pm

This is somewhat off topic, but for what it's worth, I make 40k salary. I live in DC, so after taxes, insurance, retirement, etc., my take home pay is $1100 every other week. I live in a chi chi neighborhood (split a one bedroom with my significant other) and am paying my undergrad loans (and some unfortunate credit card debt). It's doable, people. My best advice is to quit eating out so much. Wait to go to the fancy restaurants during restaurant week, and cook at home the rest of the time. Take your sandwich to lunch.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:54 am

edit: never mind
Last edited by thesealocust on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neskerdoo

Silver

Post by neskerdoo » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:08 am

reasonabledoubt wrote:Tonight I think: Woe to me.

The full realization of how long it'll take to make real money again hath set in during this application process. Post apocalyptic financial crisis I was making around 130k/year in sales. Now I make 0. I'll be starting LS in the fall, accumilating debt, and will most likely, if lucky, garner a (correct me if I'm wrong) 75k salary upon graduation.

It might be 7 years or so until I enjoy a similar lifestyle and level of income as I previously had. This is assuming a relative economic recovery of sorts in the interim which is, of course, not a definite possibility.

Who else has experienced a similar plight???

don't worry... at least you already know that you will be smarter than your professors

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”