Washington and Lee Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
statuscheckerssuck

Bronze

Re: Washington and Lee Class of 2013

Post by statuscheckerssuck » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:39 am

If any of you guys are definetly attending and haven't joined yet, here is the link for the facebook group we created.
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=3 ... 375&ref=ts

cpboy77

New

Post by cpboy77 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:04 pm

Regarding housing I'm renting a townhouse that's about a three minute drive to downtown Lexington and I need a roommate. PM me if you might be interested. Rent would be around $450 and you'd have your own bathroom.

mastapeacock

New

Post by mastapeacock » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:16 pm

A quick response to the gym questions. The gym, though not huge, is pretty damn nice. It's comparable to the brand new gym that my undergrad (UC Davis) had. Everything's of pretty recent vintage.

In general, everything on the campus (other than the Dorms) are of recent vintage. W&L Undergrad = lots of ridiculously rich kids.

A few other notes:
Verizon gets the best reception in the law school (even in the basement).
Sprint's not bad too.
Woods Creek is awesome (pardon the plug... I live there, run that ish.)

I'll be on the facebook group for 2013 if anyone has questions.

djis

New

Post by djis » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:28 pm

mastapeacock wrote:A quick response to the gym questions. The gym, though not huge, is pretty damn nice. It's comparable to the brand new gym that my undergrad (UC Davis) had. Everything's of pretty recent vintage.

In general, everything on the campus (other than the Dorms) are of recent vintage. W&L Undergrad = lots of ridiculously rich kids.

A few other notes:
Verizon gets the best reception in the law school (even in the basement).
Sprint's not bad too.
Woods Creek is awesome (pardon the plug... I live there, run that ish.)

I'll be on the facebook group for 2013 if anyone has questions.
The gym is great. Everything is up to date, the guy who runs it is really nice, and people don't bother you. During times when undergrads are in session it gets kind of hectic from 4-6, but usually the only real issue is getting a treadmill, bike, or elliptical. One downside is that the gym basically runs on the undergrad schedule, so when they're on spring break, etc. the law students have to suffer through drastically reduced hours. Also, *technically*, we're not allowed to park in the closest lot until after 5, and I've seen/heard of people getting tickets.

Contrary to mastapeacock, I think Woods Creek is a dump. I live off campus in a house with other law students. It's more peaceful, the walls aren't concrete, we control our own heat/air conditioning, and we don't have to worry about campus security. Frankly, unless you really want to live within a 2 minute walk of the school (most other places in town are still only a 5-15 minute walk from the law school), it's not terribly practical either. WC costs roughly the same (sometimes more) than off campus housing, unless you're looking to live in a 1BR by yourself.

klussy

Bronze

Post by klussy » Tue May 04, 2010 10:33 am

Is there a pool as well? didn't see one when I toured the gym, but I figure there's gotta be one somewhere.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

presh

Platinum

Post by presh » Wed May 05, 2010 12:03 am

Last edited by presh on Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

clwilson6

Bronze

Post by clwilson6 » Sun May 30, 2010 10:51 pm

The gym is actually pretty nice. It has everything from a workout/cardio area to loads of basketball/racketball and every other kind of ball sport courts that you can imagine. It does have a lap pool on one of the floors but like it was mentioned before, a little off the beaten path and difficult to find. There are signs by the one elevator that tells you which amenities are one which floor so that helps. All told, it's not super modern or high tech but it does have everything that you would need and more.

SAE

Silver

Post by SAE » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:43 am

Can anyone suggest good real estate agents with whom you or someone you know had a good experience? Looking to rent, not buy.

pm ok.

mastapeacock

New

Post by mastapeacock » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:42 pm

Hahahahahaha... the hatred of the Creek continues. Who dat is up there? I don't know usernames. Woods Creek is very concrete/industrial/Soviet. Some have referred to it as a Ukranian abortion clinic.

However, it has utilities, cable, etc. included, which makes up a tiny amount towards that $700/mo figure. Plus, you have me, which makes up for the rest.

In all seriousness, The Creek isn't about the building. It's about being close to the school and the "community" you become a part of, however hippie/pansy/sandrabullockfilm that sounds.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mastapeacock

New

Post by mastapeacock » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:44 pm

SAE wrote:Can anyone suggest good real estate agents with whom you or someone you know had a good experience? Looking to rent, not buy.

pm ok.
I've heard tons of great things about Emily Reel over at http://www.jwmre.com/

presh

Platinum

Post by presh » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:41 pm

Last edited by presh on Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

yinz

Bronze

Post by yinz » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:24 pm

Since we're on the housing topic again:

If anyone is still looking for a place, I'm looking for a roommate. PM me and I'll provide details and a link to photos.

Fergie

New

Post by Fergie » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:51 pm

mastapeacock (or anybody else) - can you give me a run down of WC pros/cons?

Mostly I'm concerned that:

1. I'll be surrounded by 22 yr old frat boys who are messy/gross and too entitled to clean
2. A twin bed will kill my love life
3. There will be a TV on in the place all the time and I'll watch it and not study

PROS

1. No need to buy furniture (coming from the West Coast) nor bring a car
2. Could be super fun - built in study buddies plus people to walk home from the bar with
3. As you mentioned - community and proximity to school/gym/im sports

I guess I just feel like it could go either way depending on the 3 other people: the random assigning of people gives me anxiety. Don't get me wrong - I like fun - but I'm also 26 and I want to kick ass academically

You obvi like it. Are you the RA?

And do the undergrads ever get annoying ie have loud parties on a Thurs when law students have a 9am class the next day?

Thanks

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mastapeacock

New

Post by mastapeacock » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:33 pm

Fergie wrote:mastapeacock (or anybody else) - can you give me a run down of WC pros/cons?

1. I'll be surrounded by 22 yr old frat boys who are messy/gross and too entitled to clean
3. There will be a TV on in the place all the time and I'll watch it and not study

PROS

2. Could be super fun - built in study buddies plus people to walk home from the bar with

I guess I just feel like it could go either way depending on the 3 other people: the random assigning of people gives me anxiety. Don't get me wrong - I like fun - but I'm also 26 and I want to kick ass academically

And do the undergrads ever get annoying ie have loud parties on a Thurs when law students have a 9am class the next day?

Thanks
W/C's a hate-it-or-love-it type affair.

To address your points:
1. There are messy frat boys (and occasionally girls), but since everyone's in their own apartments with their roommates, the frat boys will hopefully only be screwing up their own place.
2. --LinkRemoved--
More seriously though, you can push a couple of beds together if you get the double room (few are that lucky), or go to his/her place, or get an air mattress, or refer to Pooh. Pooh knows.
3. No matter how many distractions are available in the Creek due to roommates being awesome and watching Wife Swap, the law library's only about fifteen feet away, where you'll have your own private carrel and/or classrooms to sneak in to.

Pros:
1. Yep, no need for furniture, and if there is, I'm having a garage sale when I get there! Where on the west coast are you coming from? (I'm guessing O.C.... you said "obvi")
2. It is super fun. And if it isn't (i.e. your randomly assigned roommates suck), you can talk to me and I will beat them with a pole until they start cleaning/stop studying.

In general, W.C. won't hurt your academics any more than any other apartment with roommates (IMO). I'm a loud obnoxious rap listening Taylor Swift singing gentlemen and one of my roommates was top-ish of his class. Just like with any roommates, if they are being obnoxious, tell them to STFU and/or walk the ten feet to the library.

And yep, I do like the Creek, mostly because of the people and proximity to school. And I am the R.A.

Oh yeah, and as for Undergrads, they aren't usually a problem. Their R.A. next year is going to be a fellow law student (at least for the undergrads in our building) and I'm happy to go regulate on some undygrads at any time.

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:41 pm

This is law school not a vacation. WC is 500 feet from the school (and the 24 hour library), and cheap. The RAs keep it fairly quiet, but you can still party on the weekends. Everything Peacock says is credited. I would have been far more tempted to skip class had I lived farther away. Plus most of my best friends from W&L were in the creek with me. Proximity is key. All the events, keggers, LSFL, softball games, frat parties, are all within walking distance. The bars downtown are bt more of a hike, but that is the ONLY exception. Plus, the walk to the bars is through campus so you don't have to worry about the cops.

HOLLER. W&L is the shit.

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:43 pm

Fergie wrote:mastapeacock (or anybody else) - can you give me a run down of WC pros/cons?

PROS

Thanks
False.

mastapeacock

New

Post by mastapeacock » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:51 pm

I can testify that a twin bed did not kill megaTTTron's love life. Nor did it kill mine (My face and unfortunate sense of humor did that... as did the collage of Taylor Swift photos next to my bed)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Fergie

New

Post by Fergie » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:16 am

thanks guys! your advice is appreciated (Although I did find the KS of pooh disturbing)! I think Im in. :D

presh

Platinum

Post by presh » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:48 pm

Last edited by presh on Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

clwilson6

Bronze

Post by clwilson6 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:15 pm

presh wrote:For those of you committed to the class of 2013, I talked to Fin Aid today. Loan's will be disbursed on Aug 30th and credit checks will be issued on the 7th. Plan accordingly!

For some reason, this is not yet on their official website, but it sucks to get blindsided by the delay during orientation so I thought I'd drop by and let y'all know.
Tack it up to me being an a/hole for not having to take out loans before law school but how does that work exactly? You said disbursed on Aug 30th, what is that about? Disbursed to the school, or student? Credit checks? Is that for the gradplus loans?

clwilson6

Bronze

Post by clwilson6 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:21 pm

I checked the carrel list and saw that I was stuck in 327. I haven't been up to the school yet to check out my "pole position" before the race starts yet so does anyone have an idea as to where that is located?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

presh

Platinum

Post by presh » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:33 pm

Last edited by presh on Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

presh

Platinum

Post by presh » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:34 pm

Last edited by presh on Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

clwilson6

Bronze

Post by clwilson6 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:05 pm

presh wrote:
clwilson6 wrote:I checked the carrel list and saw that I was stuck in 327. I haven't been up to the school yet to check out my "pole position" before the race starts yet so does anyone have an idea as to where that is located?
You should be upstairs in the carrels across from the library desk. You can ask any of the librarians an the information desk as you come in. They will be able to direct you.
Thanks a lot. Does that mean that I'll constantly have people across from me talking to the librarian while I'm trying to study? Are my chances of peace and quiet completely shot?

Rowinguy2009

Bronze

Post by Rowinguy2009 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:10 pm

Where did you find the carrel list at?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”