Stanford Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
smov_operator

Bronze

Re: Stanford Class of 2013

Post by smov_operator » Mon May 03, 2010 1:55 am

amputatedbrain wrote:Yup already applied for housing, hoping I get a 1-bedroom @ Munger. Find out this Thursday!
Really? I thought the deadline was just this Thursday but that students were notified on the 22nd?

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Mon May 03, 2010 7:26 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:
amputatedbrain wrote:Bringing this thread back to page 1 . . .

Does anyone know if law students with non-student spouses live at Munger? It looks really nice but I'm wondering if it would be strange for a SO who isn't a student to live there . . . web site makes it seem like it's technically possible, but not sure if it's ever really done.
This is way belated, but in case you haven't gotten a good answer to this question: I heard from a current SLS student that a friend of his roomed with a non-Stanford girlfriend last year. So, there is at least one couple who made it work. (Turns out they decided they didn't like each other; she moved out of Munger a few weeks into the quarter.)
I wonder whether the two bolded excerpts had any relationship to each other. :P

amputatedbrain

Bronze

Post by amputatedbrain » Tue May 04, 2010 3:38 pm

smov_operator wrote:
amputatedbrain wrote:Yup already applied for housing, hoping I get a 1-bedroom @ Munger. Find out this Thursday!
Really? I thought the deadline was just this Thursday but that students were notified on the 22nd?
You're right, but students who apply for disability accomodations get their assignments early . . . guess I should've mentioned that's the reason for this thursday.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Sat May 22, 2010 1:41 pm

First sets of housing assignments are up, folks, if you haven't checked Axess yet :)

WhiskeyGuy

Bronze

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Sat May 22, 2010 5:15 pm

Moving the following conversation here. Anyone else request Munger and not get it?
Kretzy wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:A friend and I applied as a group and put Munger 2BR and Munger 4BR as our only preferences, but we got EV 2BR. How does that work out when a) there were so many non-law students in Munger during ASW and b) law students get priority in Munger? I'm content with EV, but a little surprised/curious.
That's strange. I applied in a four-person group for Munger, and got Munger year-long, but they didn't tell us if our group stayed together. Where on your form does it say your specific assignment? My assignment round is "Lottery" so I'm worried we didn't get kept together.

Also, we may wanna move this to the SLS '13 thread so as not to clutter stuff up here!
Where is that thread?

Go to Axxess and look for "Application Number" on your housing assignment. The number should be the same for all of your roommates (it was for me and my bud). My assignment says "Lottery," too.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 9&start=50

And thanks! That's really helpful.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

amputatedbrain

Bronze

Post by amputatedbrain » Sun May 23, 2010 3:03 am

I applied for Munger 1 br or EV 1 br and told them not too assign me anything else, but they gave me Munger Studio anyway . . . I really didn't want a studio (I'm married and it's just a really small space for 2 people), but fuck it, I'm probably just going to take it . . . campus just seems so much more convenient than anything else, and you don't have to worry about the lease coinciding with the end of school and all that.

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:12 pm

Reviving an extremely dead thread to ask a couple of questions...

Has anyone received word from the housing office? I got a call yesterday stating that our request for a Munger quad cannot be filled (due to year-long contracts) and I am curious to see if anyone else has had a similar problem.

Also, how will you all be purchasing books? Amazon is probably the cheapest option (although my friend informs me that it is still over $900), but I will be driving everything up in my little sedan and I don't know if I want to (or will be able to) bring 100 additional lbs in textbooks. Bookstore, perhaps?

Also, yay section 2!!!

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:54 am

BioEBear2010 wrote:Reviving an extremely dead thread to ask a couple of questions...

Has anyone received word from the housing office? I got a call yesterday stating that our request for a Munger quad cannot be filled (due to year-long contracts) and I am curious to see if anyone else has had a similar problem.

Also, how will you all be purchasing books? Amazon is probably the cheapest option (although my friend informs me that it is still over $900), but I will be driving everything up in my little sedan and I don't know if I want to (or will be able to) bring 100 additional lbs in textbooks. Bookstore, perhaps?

Also, yay section 2!!!
I'm buying the books from Amazon and B+N plus a couple of other websites that offer discounts.

Yay for section 5!!!

accidental1L

New

Post by accidental1L » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:07 pm

I'm getting pretty concerned about housing. Walk-in on August 11th was a big fat zero for me and waiting until the 25th seems so risky! Plus, I'm starting to wonder if it's worth the money. Munger seems really nice and all, but I've never paid that much for rent, much less with a shared kitchen. I have a car anyway, so maybe living off-campus is just as good... if I can work it out within a reasonable time frame.

As far as books, I bought mine today. Some used on ebay and others new from Amazon and Law Books for Less, whoever was cheaper. It came to about $700. I hope they arrive before I start driving up.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Haribo

Bronze

Post by Haribo » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:32 pm

I'm in section 5! Still need to buy books though... ugh, too expensive.

amputatedbrain

Bronze

Post by amputatedbrain » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:19 pm

Just wanna say it's been a lot of fun slowly figuring out who everybody is in real life . . .waiting til you have a pretty good idea, and then the awkward "so this is a strange question, but where you [insert screen name] on TLS?"

Haribo

Bronze

Post by Haribo » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:22 am

amputatedbrain wrote:Just wanna say it's been a lot of fun slowly figuring out who everybody is in real life . . .waiting til you have a pretty good idea, and then the awkward "so this is a strange question, but where you [insert screen name] on TLS?"
Or the slightly less awkward, "soooo have you heard of TLS? ... No? Never mind...." [back away slowly]

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:55 am

Haribo wrote:
amputatedbrain wrote:Just wanna say it's been a lot of fun slowly figuring out who everybody is in real life . . .waiting til you have a pretty good idea, and then the awkward "so this is a strange question, but where you [insert screen name] on TLS?"
Or the slightly less awkward, "soooo have you heard of TLS? ... No? Never mind...." [back away slowly]
The best part is when you identify someone for certain and then ask them about something concerning themselves that they mentioned on TLS but never told you in real life. :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:23 pm

So have you Stanford hippies had to do any reading yet, or has it just been a bunch of keg parties and hot boxing?

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:31 pm

adameus wrote:So have you Stanford hippies had to do any reading yet, or has it just been a bunch of keg parties and hot boxingpizza and doughnuts?
FTFY. :wink: We're writing our first legal memos this weekend, so there's a bit more than food and beverages. Still, it's a very pleasant atmosphere here; I'm really glad that I chose Stanford.

Hope that you're having fun at Harvard as well!

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:30 pm

adameus wrote:So have you Stanford hippies had to do any reading yet, or has it just been a bunch of keg parties and hot boxing?
It's definitely a great mix of work hard/play hard, at least thus far in my experience. The memo has been giving folks a bit of a headache, since LRW is still on the H/P grade scale and not just mandatory pass, but for the most part people are still seeing each other, going to the gym with regularity, and even just sitting outside, since it's been gorgeous here almost every day since we've arrived.

There's a lot of drinking going on too (which I actively try to contribute to, as a member of the "Bar Review" team), and going out in Palo Alto/Mountain View has been fun, even though the options are pretty quickly exhausted.

So yes, lots of reading, lots of drinking, and lots of sun.

I echo CR's hope that Harvard is treating you well :)

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:54 pm

Harvard is fantastic. We were working our asses off last weekend on our memo, but this weekend is a little lighter for my section anyways. There is tons of drinking going on here as well and people do get out to the gym (myself included), but we are also very busy with schoolwork.

Glad to hear you guys are doing well. I'm quite good friends with a couple of people from TLS, so my time here hasn't turned out to be a complete waste....

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

The Stig

Silver

Post by The Stig » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:09 pm

I'm really sorry to bump this since it has been quiet for a couple of months, but as a prospective 0L visiting for my spring break, does anyone want to let me crash on a couch in Munger? It'd be Thursday March 3rd, and Kretzy mentioned something to me about tagging along to bar review, which would be awesome!!!

I hope your first semesters have been good!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”