Stanford Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Kretzy

Silver

Re: Stanford Class of 2013

Post by Kretzy » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:55 am

amputatedbrain wrote:Mailed off my deposit today . . . glad my cycle is finally over almost 8 months after I started my applications. I didn't go to many ASW, but that one had to be one of the more convincing ones. Fun running into a few TLSers . . . looking forward to meeting more of you in the fall.
Congrats!
BioEBear2010 wrote:Just withdrew from YLS and will send in my deposit tomorrow. Glad to be a part of this wonderful group!
And I know I just wrote this on Facebook also, but Congrats!

Gettier Case

New

Post by Gettier Case » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:11 pm

And it's official, Stanford HERE I COME!!! :D

doinmybest

Bronze

Post by doinmybest » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:55 am

WL'er here, but I am trying to plan a visit to Stanford. I live on the east coast and I'm low on cash. I was just wondering if anyone had any hotel recommendations. Are there any decent hotels near the campus for a decent price? Are there any I should avoid? Are there any nearby bad areas I should avoid? Any help would be appreciated, since I have never been to California before...

amputatedbrain

Bronze

Post by amputatedbrain » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:41 pm

There are a few cheap motels on El Camino Real, the main drag outside of Stanford. I stayed at a Quality Inn for ASW, which was under $100 a night. I know there are one or two even cheaper places. Just check google maps and look for cheap sounding hotel names.

doinmybest

Bronze

Post by doinmybest » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:02 pm

amputatedbrain wrote:There are a few cheap motels on El Camino Real, the main drag outside of Stanford. I stayed at a Quality Inn for ASW, which was under $100 a night. I know there are one or two even cheaper places. Just check google maps and look for cheap sounding hotel names.
I've been looking at the Coronet Motel and Hotel California on El Camino Real. They are both around $80ish a night which is reasonable. I'm just kind of inquiring about whether or not those places are sketchy. I just don't want a sketchy hotel to ruin my visit haha.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ProudFather

New

Post by ProudFather » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:13 pm

doinmybest wrote:
amputatedbrain wrote:There are a few cheap motels on El Camino Real, the main drag outside of Stanford. I stayed at a Quality Inn for ASW, which was under $100 a night. I know there are one or two even cheaper places. Just check google maps and look for cheap sounding hotel names.
I've been looking at the Coronet Motel and Hotel California on El Camino Real. They are both around $80ish a night which is reasonable. I'm just kind of inquiring about whether or not those places are sketchy. I just don't want a sketchy hotel to ruin my visit haha.
http://www.yelp.com is a great resource for these types of things in the bay area.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:48 pm

doinmybest wrote:
You're not likely to find a sketchy place near Stanford unless you are East of 101 or like 3 miles north of campus on El Camino. Anywhere south of campus on El Camino is going to be totally fine.

doinmybest

Bronze

Post by doinmybest » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:35 pm

Thanks, yelp really is a good resource for this sort of thing. According to the reviews on yelp, both of the places I was looking at are not too good... I found this page on Stanford's website http://www.stanford.edu/dept/visitorinf ... dging.html I'll probably just go down the list until I find something.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:50 pm

doinmybest wrote:Thanks, yelp really is a good resource for this sort of thing. According to the reviews on yelp, both of the places I was looking at are not too good... I found this page on Stanford's website http://www.stanford.edu/dept/visitorinf ... dging.html I'll probably just go down the list until I find something.
The only hotels that are walking distance from Stanford are the Sheraton and the Westin, but those are expensive. South on El Camino there are a number of cheap options all in fine neighborhoods. I don't know exactly what you mean by "not nice" or whatever, but south of campus on El Camino is definitely not dangerous. It's not like the most awesome place in the world with naked women serving you gourmet food and incredible bars or something, but it's definitely not dangerous by any stretch of the imagination. If you're not going to be able to walk to campus anyway, try the Glass Slipper. It often has the cheapest rates in town. It's not the Four Seasons, but honestly it's totally fine. I'm sure there is a Marguerite that gets to campus from near there or at worst it's a $10 cab ride.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:55 pm

crackberry wrote: I don't know exactly what you mean by "not nice" or whatever, but south of campus on El Camino is definitely not dangerous.
I live there, so I can confirm that it's perfectly fine and even "nice" in some places.

doinmybest

Bronze

Post by doinmybest » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:12 pm

crackberry wrote:
doinmybest wrote:Thanks, yelp really is a good resource for this sort of thing. According to the reviews on yelp, both of the places I was looking at are not too good... I found this page on Stanford's website http://www.stanford.edu/dept/visitorinf ... dging.html I'll probably just go down the list until I find something.
The only hotels that are walking distance from Stanford are the Sheraton and the Westin, but those are expensive. South on El Camino there are a number of cheap options all in fine neighborhoods. I don't know exactly what you mean by "not nice" or whatever, but south of campus on El Camino is definitely not dangerous. It's not like the most awesome place in the world with naked women serving you gourmet food and incredible bars or something, but it's definitely not dangerous by any stretch of the imagination. If you're not going to be able to walk to campus anyway, try the Glass Slipper. It often has the cheapest rates in town. It's not the Four Seasons, but honestly it's totally fine. I'm sure there is a Marguerite that gets to campus from near there or at worst it's a $10 cab ride.
I think you misunderstood. The 2 places I was looking at got bad reviews on yelp not because of the area, but rather because the facilities or the service is was apparently not too nice. I'm confident now after doing a little research that the area is nice. I'm just looking for something under $100 a night, no too far, and decent facilities. I'll check out the Glass Slipper. Thanks for your all your help :D

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:57 pm

Yeah no problem. I think there's also a Days Inn somewhere relatively close to campus. It should be pretty cheap and since it's a chain, I imagine the facilities are fine.

theadw

Bronze

Post by theadw » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:13 pm

Deposited. Elated. Tattoo pics forthcoming.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:04 pm

theadw wrote:Deposited. Elated. Tattoo pics forthcoming.
I look forward to seeing you in August!

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:40 pm

That makes at least 4 Yale-Stanford cross admits on TLS choosing Stanford. I know of an additional three not on TLS, too.

Also, dude, can you PM me your 250?

theadw

Bronze

Post by theadw » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:31 pm

crackberry wrote:
That makes at least 4 Yale-Stanford cross admits on TLS choosing Stanford. I know of an additional three not on TLS, too.

It's over in the 250 thread, to which I think everyone should contribute.

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:51 pm

crackberry wrote:

I know of one not on TLS.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:23 am

I was pretty psyched to hear Dean Kramer say that basically anyone who wants to can get into the MPP program. I still don't know if I want to do a joint degree, but if I do, it'll be a JD/MPP or JD/MAPP, and without a ton of math and economics coursework, I was a little worried about my prospects of getting in. Seems like that was unjustified.

smov_operator

Bronze

Post by smov_operator » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:28 am

crackberry wrote:I was pretty psyched to hear Dean Kramer say that basically anyone who wants to can get into the MPP program. I still don't know if I want to do a joint degree, but if I do, it'll be a JD/MPP or JD/MAPP, and without a ton of math and economics coursework, I was a little worried about my prospects of getting in. Seems like that was unjustified.
Wow, I didn't hear him say this. I was looking into the mpp but I didn't think I had the background either. This is great.

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:05 pm

Does anyone know how we go about accepting our financial aid offers (or at least part of it)? I looked for a way to do so on Axess but couldn't find one.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:27 am

BioEBear2010 wrote:Does anyone know how we go about accepting our financial aid offers (or at least part of it)? I looked for a way to do so on Axess but couldn't find one.
I'm interested in this too. I emailed Financial Aid, and Mr. Barnes replied that loan information will be coming during the first part of the summer (late June). I imagine that getting our loan amounts will be the last step of accepting the financial aid offer, but I'm not quite sure how the process works.

On another note, SLS doesn't disburse financial aid awards fully until early September. They allow you to "front" some of your award (esp. important for folks living off campus and signing a lease, or people buying a new computer, etc.), but the rest of the amount doesn't get released until a couple weeks after classes start for 1Ls, though a few weeks before classes start for 2L and 3L.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:26 pm

Mailed my deposit yesterday. Super excited, but I think now's the time to bid farewell to TLS. It was an invaluable resource during the application process, but I don't think I want to be using it while I'm in school.

Don't forget to sign up for housing before the May 6 deadline.

See you guys in August.

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:20 pm

crackberry wrote:Mailed my deposit yesterday. Super excited, but I think now's the time to bid farewell to TLS. It was an invaluable resource during the application process, but I don't think I want to be using it while I'm in school.

Don't forget to sign up for housing before the May 6 deadline.

See you guys in August.
Great to hear the news! It was a pleasure talking to you on here, and I look forward to attending classes with you in a few months. :D

WhiskeyGuy

Bronze

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Sun May 02, 2010 10:20 pm

amputatedbrain wrote:Bringing this thread back to page 1 . . .

Does anyone know if law students with non-student spouses live at Munger? It looks really nice but I'm wondering if it would be strange for a SO who isn't a student to live there . . . web site makes it seem like it's technically possible, but not sure if it's ever really done.
This is way belated, but in case you haven't gotten a good answer to this question: I heard from a current SLS student that a friend of his roomed with a non-Stanford girlfriend last year. So, there is at least one couple who made it work. (Turns out they decided they didn't like each other; she moved out of Munger a few weeks into the quarter.)

amputatedbrain

Bronze

Post by amputatedbrain » Mon May 03, 2010 1:52 am

Yup already applied for housing, hoping I get a 1-bedroom @ Munger. Find out this Thursday!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”